Simpler Times Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

poor
good
Read the review
Simpler Times LagerSimpler Times Lager

Minhas Craft Brewery
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by blackie on 10-11-2008

Reviews: 199 | Ratings: 370
3.4/5  rDev +16.8%

Nothing special, just a cheap macro-style beer from trader joes. I like the 6.2 kick, wow 3.99 what a deal. Not as tasty as narragansett, but the strength is an added bonus, especially when you don't want to drown yourself in cheap boring beer. A good choice when money is tight, much better than busch light.

3.67/5  rDev +26.1%

Light, bubbly head.

Light amber/golden color.

Simpler Times Lager’s sweet aroma mirrors its taste. I like this beer a lot more than I thought I would. Generally I tend toward darker beers but this is one of the exceptions. Very smooth, sweet honey-like taste with no distinctive bitter bite you’d expect from such a light beer. It pairs well with a large range of foods, so you don’t have to worry too much whether the flavors will clash. It's also low enough in alcohol that you can appreciate the rest of your meal.

This is definitely not a complicated beer. Its flavor profile is fairly one-dimensional, but pleasant nonetheless. There are many beers out there that have more depth and character, but when considering its price category, it’s an outstanding value. It’s head and shoulders above anything else that’s this inexpensive.

In short, it’s a great value and I’d recommend it to anyone on a tight budget who appreciates quality beer.

3.33/5  rDev +14.4%

This is my beer for general consumption. When I'm not looking for flavor or complexity, and simply want a beer to help cool me down on a warm summer afternoon, this is it.

A- Pale yellow. As remarked by another reviewer "I can see my fingerprints through the glass". It pours an above average head for a macrobrew.

S- Absolutely average. It smells like corn.

T-It tastes like it smells, of corn. When this beer is cold, it's quite refreshing and simple. However when it warms up, it's almost unpalatable.

M- It feels like I'm drinking macrobrewed beer. Nothing special, just beer.

D- If cold, I can drink this all day.

At 6.2% ABV this beer packs a considerable punch for an American Adjunct Lager. Considering what it is, it's a good beer. I have absolutley no complaints when this beer is chilled. The moment it warms up, however, you'd be best served throwing it away.

Probably one of the best Macro's I've tasted. When placed in a continuum of other beers though...it's simply average.

First time tasting this beer. 12oz can poured into a glass mug.

A- Golden yellow. Lots of bubbles streaming up. Tiny half finger head that quickly fizzles away. Looks OK.

S- Very little scent. Fruity malts, maybe corn. Slight alcohol.

T- Fusel alcohol up front, sweet fruity malts, corn, tiny bit of grassy hops. Tastes like a true Malt Liquor. Reminds me of Steel Reserve. Aftertaste is fusel alcohol, bready malts, and grassy hops.

M- Heavier than an average lager. Leaves the mouth feeling slick. Prickly carbonation.

Drinkability- It's not as smooth as a regular AAL. It's very obviously heavier on fusel alcohol.

O- Overall, if this was recategorized as a Malt Liquor then I'd review it in a better light. It's an ok bargain beer to get drunk on. I would not want to drink it as a lawn mower beer. It's an ok drink at night beer.
It's better than the Simpler Times Pilsener.

2.04/5  rDev -29.9%

Recession Chic, etc. Bought at Trader Joe's for almost nothing, here goes:

A: I'm not pouring this into a glass, sorry. I'd bet it's bright yellow though.

S: Brings back collegiate memories...

T: Disclaimer - this is pretty much ice cold, but for the 6.2% it's not too bad. No depth of flavor to speak of but certainly not worse than the mainstream swill.

This makes me wonder why the macros are so "expensive." ST isn't great, but for the minimal expectations I can't say it's disappointing.

3.88/5  rDev +33.3%

A: Golden yellow body that poured watery creating a temporary foam of large carbonation bubbles that dissipated quickly.

A: Slightly metallic with a blend of light hop aroma.

T: Crisp and clean with a sweet malty flavor and slightest bitterness on the tail end.

M: Slightly thicker than expected given the lightness of color and clarity.

D: At 6.2% ABV, this is a winner in my book. Quite flavorful and a step up from the commercialized majors who dominate the market.

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

This beer is cheap at $3.99 a six pack at TJ's i just had to pick this up for a laugh.

The beer pours clear, straw yellow, small white head. Smells is light and floral.

First taste carbonation, as it clears away it has a nice creamy smooth mouth feel. It has the slight corny cereal sweetness taste you would expect, but it's much bigger than it's big brothers and more enjoyable, the hops are there you just can't taste them. I actually drank one of these over the weekend after mowing the lawn in 90f+ weather, i sucked that can down like a thirsty camel hit the spot perfectly.

Their is nothing complex or fancy about this beer, great cold on a hot day, probably one of the best in it's style.

2.68/5  rDev -7.9%

I've had this beer for years and they're definitely toying with the recipe a bit. This was much sweeter than I remembered from years past, and actually a little less boozy. I guess the alcohol is getting lost in the sugars.

a- good straw yellow. A bit more bodied than typical adjunct offerings
s- Sticky sweet and a bit of yeast. Definite notes of green grapes and apple
t- Very sugary, with a lot of bright fruit flavors, followed by a slight yeast flavor. Distinctly not beery, nor is it like any adjunct beer I've had before.
m- cloying with all the sugar. flavors are a great one two punch, and then the alcohol cleans up a lot of it, but it's still a sticky beer. The empty glass felt like it had soda in it rather than beer

Overall, a great offering at $4/6cans. I think you just need to set your expectations accordingly. This actually tasted a lot more like a shandy/radler/cider than an adjunct lager, but I really enjoy those so it works for me. YMMV.

3.1/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.50$ for a sixer of 6.2%ers? I'm definitely willing to try it out.

Pours very very fizzy, orange, head recedes completely. Looks like apple juice.
No smell. Maybe like corn and whiskey mixed with malt?
Tastes surprisingly clean, a bit malty, with a little adjunct funk, but not too much.
Very very fizzy.
I saw one reviewer mention steel reserve. I can see where they're coming from... It has that same corn mixed with vodka off flavor to it but its in the finish and minimal. This is waaaaay better than that dreadful swill, and even cheaper! Don't expect any real flavor here, but at like 50 cents a can its an excellent way to mix up your cheap lager game.
Rating is adjusted to the price point.

2.97/5  rDev +2.1%

Good looking pour with substantial head and golden hue. Neutral aroma. Apply first impression. Creamy on the palate.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.]

2.68/5  rDev -7.9%

A - Light golden with a slightly amber hue -- looks more appetizing than a BMC brew.

S - Boozy, hoppy, and bitter. Not too offensive for its alcohol content.

T - Slightly bitter from hops, followed by a warm rush of alcohol.

M - Consistency is akin to syrup. Lightly carbonated. Full bodied for the price and style.

O - For $2.99 (on sale) per 6-pack at Trader Joe's, it's hard to go wrong if one is on a budget or wants to catch a quick buzz -- or both. Although I rarely frequent Trader Joe's, I'll pick up a sixer each time I visit.

3.79/5  rDev +30.2%

Give this a try. This is significantly different than Budwiser, miller, coors, etc.. It has a pleasant honey like sweetness and tanginess that makes it really good. I think this is my new go-to.

3.03/5  rDev +4.1%

A - This beer pours a little darker than expected. The color is a clear golden yellow. The snow white head quickly vanishes.

S - Smells like a lager. The aroma is corn with a definite sweetness.

T - A fuller flavor than I would have guessed. The taste is similar to the aroma, but the sweetness is the most noticeable. The 6.2% ABV alcohol comes through in the finish with a touch of hop bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, leaving the tongue wet and sticky.

O - For $3.99 a six-pack, this is really impressive, and it may even edge out PBR as my favorite adjunct lager. If money were no object, it would be a while before I picked this up again. However, money is an object for me. I can find nothing offensive about this beer, and I find it better than many brews in this category. This could be great for camping, canoeing, or any occasion where a simple, cold can of beer is all that's required.

3.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A tad sweet, best cold, nice malt taste. Good for a picnic beer, day at the beach, concert in the park, or paired with a really outrageously expensive steak...

This should be compared to bud or other beers that cost less than 3 bucks for a six pack(!), not Brunch Weasel or some fancy brew.

3.57/5  rDev +22.7%

I had seen this at Trader Joe's and for some reason didn't buy it ($2.99 for a six pack) until today. Wow was I surprised. It's sold warm so you've gotta chill it but that's okay. Very good lager with a nice overall taste and no aftertaste to speak of. The 6.2% ABV is also an added plus. If you have a Trader Joe's in your area I would seriously consider getting this.

3.58/5  rDev +23%

This can design brings to mind the beverages I see my grandpa drinking in old black-and-white photos. 'Simpler Times' is an appropriate name for an old school looking lager, the kind that would agree with the Good Old Boys at the VFW Hall, who all seem highly amused when I start raving about my new favorite fancy-smancy 'Sextuple RyeHopped Cocoa Cream IPA's' and 'Bottle Steam-Fermented Dopplepumpkin Snozzberry Lambics.'

"Kid, that ain't a beer. That's a dessert!," they chuckle. Then they buy me a Miller High Life and tell me to shutup-already-dammit.

It certainly looks like the classic Champagne of Beers on the pour. Bubbles dance in the crystal clear straw liquid, and the froth crackles like Rice Krispies when I hold it up to my ear. It has none of that tasty treat's stickiness, as the lacing slides right off the glass.

There's a bite of hops in the nose that's surrounded by a sweet smell of cool, Midwest tap water. (No, I don't use heavy narcotics; you just notice the pleasant odor of fresh water after going to countries where drinking from the faucet means permabonding your ass to a toilet bowl for the following week.)

At first it's malty and biscuty, like Fat Tire Amber minus the hops. After a second, I start craving KFC fried chicken. It's as greasy as the finest Southern cooking and a that's a damn good thing, believe me you sure 'nuff. The 6.2% ABV is pretty strong for this type of beer. I can't taste it. Or perhaps I'm a sad alcoholic already numbed to the pain.

Right when things seem great, a little bit of metal bites on the finish. The hops really try to fight it off, to no avail. I have to wait a while for the next sip. Fortunately, this beer actually tastes better when it's warmed up. That means I'll be consuming massive quantities of it this summer in the Ozarks--right before I fall out of my canoe and join the other drunk rednecks and empty beer cans floating behind me.

The VFW Hall would be proud.

Looks like piss. Yellow. Corn colored.

Smells like cheap beer.

The head was nice to start but faded prematurely.

Tastes like it smells, not very good. A high level of adjunks give the beer an un-barley like

The mouthfeel is that of water.

Drinkability on the other hand is outstanding. I buy several six-packs at a time, every time I am even near a Trader Joe's because it is the cheapest pisswaterbeer around and the can looks cooler than a Budwiser or Cooers or (etc.).

1.77/5  rDev -39.2%

Appearance: Dark golden-yellow with copious amounts of carbonation. Head is huge and fluffy on initial pour, but quickly dissipates to practically nothing, leaving little trace of its presence on the glass.

Smell: Lightly malty, with a few twinges of hops.

Taste: Sickeningly sweet. Ugh. Liike, syrupy, sweet. A stale sweet. Like a really sugary candy past its prime. Some skunky hops keep it from being overwhelming, but this is not something I am enjoying at all.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full-bodied for a lager. Nothing clean or crisp here. its all saccharine stickiness, blegh. There is an interesting bitter aftertaste, but it seems so feeble compared to the sweetness.

2.6/5  rDev -10.7%

I don't consider myself too good to drink cheap beer. In fact, I've been know to store cold cans of PBR and Coors Light in the back of the fridge to break out for certain occasions. So when I saw 6-pks of a 6.2% ABV beer at Trader Joe's for $2.99, naturally I took advantage.

I drank from straight from the can, so smell and appearance meant nothing. My first impression tells it all: take a Budweiser and pour in a half shot of cheap vodka to boost the ABV, and that's pretty much what you've got here. To me, the beer seems like they tried to pack too much alcohol into it, and the empty, bitter aftertaste shows it. Not one I'd buy again, but if you're looking for a potent, yet cheap, brew for a day at the lake, it might be worth a look. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

3.09/5  rDev +6.2%

OK, people. This beer is $3.99 for a sixer in Manhattan. It's 6.2%. It tastes reasonably good. That said, it doesn't really taste like anything, somewhere between Bud and a malt liquor, but not as shitty as either. If you can't throw down for Brooklyn IPA sixer for $8.29, this is a hell of a bargain. It's cheaper than those Macros I won't even name that are too ungodly horrible to drink, and, although it's not on par with even a Saranac or Sam Adams, it still has a sliver of character enough to peek its head above the macros and malt liquors and proclaim itself King of Cheap Beers (except maybe Genesee Cream?).

Not sure why I wasn't informed about this beer sooner, as 2 buck Chuck has a huge following, but this beer is at least as good for what it is, although perhaps not as cheap as the more popular Joe's wine brand. Certainly not an embarrassment for a large gathering or for an after-the-good-beer situation, I was pleasantly surprised with this lager.

3.8/5  rDev +30.6%

Impulse Buy at Trader Joes, can's for $3.99. all in all... pretty delicious. as an Ale man, i find this little morsel quite delectable, and over many macros, rich. not much head to speak of, but i can get around that. a nice golden/amber look, but not much to mention. a reverberant taste, that sticks around, but doesn't overstays its welcome. a sterling brew. one of the better impulse buys, for me... but i don't want to speak too soon. at 6.2%, you can't wag you finger too much, and at the nice price, its a value beyond most. Simpler Times Lager, why not beer in a can. as far as drinkability, i could drink many of these, repeatedly. its nice that you can get the sixer in cans and after one, just loop them in your belt. a welcome change of pace for me, get them for a god price.

keep in mind, this is a lager, and it rates high in spite of the bias.

3.83/5  rDev +31.6%

bought this beer at TJ's for $3.99 for a sixer...cans.

poured the beer out into a tall beer glass. lots of carbonation initially produces a lot of head. color is dark amber.

smells like cereal or corn. not horrible.

tastes sweet on the onset...almost like malt liquor. can definately taste the corn everyone who has reviewed this is talking about. however it is easy to drink...for my taste anyway. i can see myself drinking quite a few of these.

it has a full mouthfeel for the style. not watered down at all.

good drinkability. it is smooth and you can't really taste the 6.2 % ABV.

overall, it is a great value at $3.99 for six cans. it is not the best beer but a great session beer at a fantastic price! nothing more, nothing less...

2.98/5  rDev +2.4%

WTF. 6.2% and $2.99/six pack! This stuff obviously isn't great. It's still better than Bud though and it doesn't even taste like Old English or anything. Tastes like corn which could be worse. If you're extremely broke, which I'm not too proud to admit can happen from time to time, and still want to drink some beers with your friends while you watch contact sports or pot humor movies than this is your beverage. Frat boys should consider picking this up instead of Key Light. More alcohol...cheaper...thought that could be considered slightly outside of the box.

3.75/5  rDev +28.9%

bought a six pack of cans at trader joe's, craft beer in a can, who'd have thought. has a nice golden color, poured with a nice head, lasted a reasonable length of time. doesn't seem to have much aroma, faint cereal grain smell maybe. first taste was very mild, a little alcohol feel, light taste of hops, not bitter at all. further sips reinforced first impressions, light, crisp, smooth, pleasant after taste. seems like one of those beers that tastes best served cold and not lingered over. due to the 6.2% alcohol can't imagine this as a session beer but maybe for some people. have to savor the after taste more to see what flavors come out, maybe more grain, nutty, dry finish. but really I'm not much of a beer aficionado, but I am a beer advocate and I like this beer. I'll bet it would be nice in draft. will definitely drink again.

1.95/5  rDev -33%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, a foamy, bone white head rises to the top. It shrinks considerably after a minute or two. The beer's color is that of filtered apple juice.

It doesn't look awful, but it doesn't look particularly good, either. 3/5

Smell: During the pour, this beer has a really malty fragrance. This quickly transitions to cidery and metallic notes, neither off-putting nor appetizing. 3/5

Taste: What begins as a rather unremarkable bubblegum mutates into an unpleasant flavor not unlike cough syrup. There are no perceptible hops here. The rather strong (for the style) ABV is somewhat concealed by the overwhelming sweetness, but that does nothing to save this mess of a brew—in fact, it reinforces its striking similarity to Robitussin. 1.5/5

Mouthfeel: It's flat and viscous—exactly the opposite of how this style ought to be. Very, very disappointing. 1/5

Overall: I purchased a six pack of this beer for $3.99 at Trader Joe's. Even at that price, I assure you, it's no bargain. Lackluster appearance and scent cannot much compensate for abysmal flavor and syrupy mouthfeel. There are better beers at this price point. Don't punish yourself with this swill. 1.75/5

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery