Simpler Times Pilsner

Notes:
Reviews: 156 | Ratings: 318 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Mitchster:
2.13/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bought a single 12oz can at Trader Joes for like $0.59. 5.5% ABV. I went to the website to procure some information and I was amused with a huge "variety" of market driven/cost effective (shall we say crap?) contract brews with generic "craft beer" wannabe packaging.
Pours out to a limpid yet clear pale copper, forming a small head which quickly recedes into a scum of bubbles, no lacing. Aroma of apple juice, grape juice and bug spray. No hop nose, no yeast character, no malt character. Mouthfeel is watery and thin. Taste is of a nondescript "I fermented something?" flavor. There is some toasty/bready malt character (shouldn't be in a pils), and a medium bitterness with flavor of copper pennies and dilute bitter apple juice. Toasty/Fruity pils anyone?

This is just atrocious as a pils, but does constitute something that -some people- might call beer. I always wondered what beer tasted like in the Renaissiance. Now I know!

3.94/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wonderful color for a pilsner. A much more full taste than what we're used to seeing at the gas station

4.24/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

When taken into account the price, $4 and 6 pack at Trader Joe's it's a real bargin! I'm really impressed with it and I am a BJCP beer judge. The low score is off when you really look at the bros rating of 90.

3.23/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

first off just wanna say that a sixer of this is less than $5

appearace is golden and translucent, thin head recedes quickly with no lacing left behind.

nose is malts and the taste is similar. finishes with a light grassy note. mouthfeel is pretty nice, good carbonation. crisp and refreshing

overall this beer is pretty good for what it is. a dirt cheap easy drinker. so yeah i wouldnt seek this out if I have over $5... but I also wouldnt pass one up on a hot day.

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.61/5  rDev +15.7%

Enjoyed out of a 12oz can.

Cool look to the can, nice color and font. Smell is sweet corn, grain, faint hops maybe. Taste is pale malt, bitter yet sweet. Reminiscent of Summit EPA, another favorite of mine. There are traces of corn, and the bitter presence of hops. Good taste for the cheap price, 'though there is an odd PBRish metallic/plastic taste that isn't altogether unpleasant but not great.

Surprisingly good for $3 a 6-pack.

1.25/5  rDev -59.9%

3.24/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is pale malts/grains and a hint of Worcester sauce/spaghetti os. The flavor is pale malts/grains, mild fruit and a mild/medium sweet/smooth finish.

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

3.35/5  rDev +7.4%

I'm not sure if this is a German Style Pilsner. I think this is more of an American Pre-Prohibition style Pilsner. The use of adjuncts is present as which it should be with an American Pilsner. The color, aroma, body and hop character are where they should be for this style. I don't see that it's that bad of a beer. If I were offered Bud, Miller, Coors or any other macro-brew and this I would choose this all day long. I like my PBR and I would have to add this along side of my PBR as an after yard beer.

For 3.99 I'm not sure as why some people are bashing it. What did you really expect for 3.99? I mean really....It's 3.99 for 6 beers. Find that in any bar or pub. Anyway....It's an easy drinker that actually has some flavor compared to most cheapsters in a can. I'm not goanna fluff up the review with a bunch of adjectives either. Find a Trader Joes and pick up a 6-er. If you don't like it hand it out as a courtesy beer for those that show up and never bring anything.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%