Name Tag Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

Wisconsin, United States
minhasbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by flexabull on 08-14-2009

Bleh!, please, avoid at all costs.

1.15/5  rDev -54.9%

I work at Trader Joes and we started carrying this shortly after the arrival of Simpler Times. I enjoyed Simpler Times, so I decided to see how this one compared. Not even close. For some reason, we're still carrying it. The buyers for the Trader Joes beer department are idiots.

A: Yellow with not much head and some carbonation. One lady returned hers because she said it had dirt in the bottom of the can. She brought it in and I took a look. I doubt it was actually dirt, probably just black sediment of some kind, but it didn't look good.

S: Not much there, just some sweet and stale grains.

T: About as appealing as the smell. Nasty grain flavor with an off sweetness. Poorly made beer and not worth the $2.99 price tag. One of the worst I've ever had.

1.26/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

355ml Can brought home from Washington DC:
This one was a disgustingly cheap & nasty beer that seemed to have a lot of adjuncts coming through as well as skunky off-flavours that reminded me of everything I usually hate about mass produced pale lagers. The only plus at the time was my thinking that it was my first beer from Wisconsin until I realised I'd already tried a few from there in the past

1.28/5  rDev -49.8%

After the first can, I stopped pouring it into a glass because it looked so poor. Almost water like with a hint of beer. It barely even tasted like a domestic light beer.

I am a fan of less sophisticated beers like old style or hamm's, most likely due to fond college memories of drinking them. And I usually do not shy away from a beer just because of price. But I should have known, even in the land of "two buck chuck" that $3.99 a sixer was too good to be true.

1.32/5  rDev -48.2%

Once, when I was in seventh grade, our basement flooded during a spring rain. I was able to divert the water while my parents were still at work. As a reward, my mother offered me my first beer. Perhaps it was a Genny or a Utica Club or a Matts Lager. It was one of those thin, heavily adjuncted lagers. I drank only a quarter of it and didn't enjoy another beer until I was 23 years old. Red Oval could be that beer--corn syrupy sweet, fizzy, not a hint of hops or malt. The only thing going for it is a large head that dies slowly and a smidgen of lace on the glass. At $2.99 a six pack, one shouldn't complain, but still this one's destined for the kitchen sink.

1.34/5  rDev -47.5%

Light golden color. Not much nose, just sugar. Tastes like someone poured a beer, then dumped a pint of water on top of it, and this is whats left. Soooo watery tasting. A hint of corn, but mostly just watered down junk. Even 3 bucks a 6 pack is too much money for me to every try this again.

1.37/5  rDev -46.3%

Can from Trader Joe's poured into a weizen glass

A: Impressive at first. Darker amber than typical of the style. A nice one-finger head, that becomes a half-finger head, then ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Fizzy.

S: Like a nasty barn

T: Apple juice. Seriously. Seriously.

M: Watery apple juice.

O: Want apple juice that says it's beer? This is for you!

1.5/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clearish golden color. The head is a finger high, with a white shade and crap retention. No lacing is left behind.

S: Umm...what is this? It smells oddly nutty. Come to think about it, it's really butterscotchy too. Some of the cereal grain notes are relatively well concealed, at least. There isn't much good to say about the nose, mainly because it smells like it will lead into a pure, unbridled tastebud terror.

T: Oh my god, it does. It features the massive cotton candy sweetness of the Simpler Times lager I had earlier, but somehow worse. Now it hit me - it's a diacetyl bomb that someone dumped five year old Werther's Originals into. The only reason I'm not giving it a one because it doesn't fall into the "bad flavor and no flavor at the same time" pratfall...it just has a shitload of bad flavor.

M: Heavy and super sweet - I don't want to drink this crap anymore, quite frankly. Moderate carbonation.

O: After the first two lagers from TJ ended up being not terrible, it kind of gave me hope for the others. Too bad two okayish lagers would lead into two horrid ones. I'll give the slight edge to this over the Trader Jose crap, but only just. They're both easy drainpours either way.

1.56/5  rDev -38.8%

Purchased as a sixer from Trader Joes - poured into pint glass

Pours quite clear, bubbly with okay head. Smells like solvent and corn. Tastes like champagne that has been left out for a week. I'm serious. It is god awful.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid this. Not even worth a tick.

1.58/5  rDev -38%

Pours clear gold with a small white head that fades quickly, leaving only spotty lacing. Smells and tastes like grain, cooked corn, cloyingly sweet malt, Not good.

Light to medium bodied with too much carbonation. Not worth seeking out or trying again.

1.61/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

1.71/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2

The only good thing about the flavor is that there is not much of it.

1.75/5  rDev -31.4%

Fairly dismal looking lager... practically clear with a bit of foam on top. Standard canned-beer aroma and taste, but even lighter. Mild malt corn taste, nothing bitter. Moderate carbonation and very light-bodied feel.

PBR is a very rich beer compared to this stuff. Extremely light-bodied with a flavor (or lack thereof) to match. I suppose that for $3 for a sixpack, I can't be blamed too much.

1.75/5  rDev -31.4%