Name Tag Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

Alströms:

2.25/5  rDev -11.1%

1.75/5  rDev -30.8%

1.5/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clearish golden color. The head is a finger high, with a white shade and crap retention. No lacing is left behind.

S: Umm...what is this? It smells oddly nutty. Come to think about it, it's really butterscotchy too. Some of the cereal grain notes are relatively well concealed, at least. There isn't much good to say about the nose, mainly because it smells like it will lead into a pure, unbridled tastebud terror.

T: Oh my god, it does. It features the massive cotton candy sweetness of the Simpler Times lager I had earlier, but somehow worse. Now it hit me - it's a diacetyl bomb that someone dumped five year old Werther's Originals into. The only reason I'm not giving it a one because it doesn't fall into the "bad flavor and no flavor at the same time" pratfall...it just has a shitload of bad flavor.

M: Heavy and super sweet - I don't want to drink this crap anymore, quite frankly. Moderate carbonation.

O: After the first two lagers from TJ ended up being not terrible, it kind of gave me hope for the others. Too bad two okayish lagers would lead into two horrid ones. I'll give the slight edge to this over the Trader Jose crap, but only just. They're both easy drainpours either way.

2.44/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this sixer up at TJs a couple weeks back. Let it sit in the fridge for ample time to make sure it was chilled fully before cracking open.

A: pours a crystal clear orange / copper with descent (1) finger head.

S: I have no sense of smell - but the wife seemed to think metal and urine were sufficient. She reinforced this with a, "I am not making this up." Mostly like metal.

T: For a cider this is not half bad as the taste of freshly cut apples is strong from start to finish. A tad bid of corn meal & buttery popcorn to finish off the clean crispness. Wish I had some peanut butter to mix in it. The more I drink the more apparent the metallic flavors jump out and dance around - reminds me of when the annoying drunk shows up and ruin a bad party. I Maybe they should toss some Lacto in here and call it a sour.

O: In all seriousness this is a terrible beer. But again - as a corn cider its drinkable.

2.25/5  rDev -11.1%

2.54/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Minhas Brewery's Name Tag Lager pours an expectedly pale straw-yellow body. The Snow-white head falls as quickly as it rises. It leaves behind an appealing island of oily film. A few thin streams of bubbles rise steadily towards the top. Nice.

The nose is much better than most adjunct lagers. It's sweet and malty: apple and pear cider up front and just a hint of herb-ish-ness in back. I'm excited.

Alas, the taste doesn't follow suit. A heavy hand has poured in the bittering hops; the malts can't handle them, and we're left with an indefensibly bitter, slightly sour brew that doesn't do much to please. The mouthfeel is fine, but a mouth feel is only good insofar as it complements the flavor of the beer. The flavors here are so poor that they render the mouthfeel score meaningless.

I'd reach for a Name Tag lager before I picked up an American Budweiser, but I can think of a few unappealing American macro lagers that I'd reach for before picking up one of these again.

2.19/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: 0.5L stein
From: Trader Joe’s is La Mesa (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $3.49 for a 6-pack
Purchased: Sept. 26, 2013
Consumed: Sept. 26, 2013
Misc.: N/A

Poured a honey golden clear color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white head. Decent amount of layered foamy lacing along the sides. Above average retention on the top most of the way down.

Smelled caramel, banana, kiwi, Circus Peanuts, faint butterscotch, bubblegum, butter, grape and gloves.

Tasted like a watered down version of the smell with a gross aftertaste. Watery versions of banana, kiwi, grape, Circus Peanuts, corn, hay, bread and butter. Can’t put my finger on the aftertaste, but it’s not pleasant at all.

Light body. Thin texture. Soft carbonation. Watery, abrupt finish.

Very, very bad. If I didn't have another five to finish, I'd say I'd never try it again.

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%