Boxer Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

minhasbrewery.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by biggred1 on 09-25-2010

2.75/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

It's a cheap lager. Nothing more, nothing less. Pours a watery gold. Head diminishes quickly. Very weak aroma. Corny barley flavors. Highly carbonted.

3.03/5  rDev +33.5%

2.59/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Minhas Craft Brewery "Boxer Lager"
12 fl. oz. can, production coded but without freshness dating
$6.99 / 15-pack case @ Javie's Beverage, Philadelphia, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: It's clear but not as clear as I thought it would be, I can't see my finger prints through the glass, nor are my fingers really that clear. Odd. The initial finger-thick head of bright white that rose up over the fairly deep golden body is now already gone but there are some splashes of lacing left behind. The aroma is sweetish and dare I say malty? It's not grainy, and it's clear that there's some adjunct in use, but there is some maltiness to it. There's also, unfortunately, some esters that I connect with higher fermentation... not good. The flavor follows, and again, it's surprisingly malty, and sweetish like wort. I don't detect any specific oxidation like a papery characteristic, but it could be that some initial oxidation is making it seem more malty. Just a theory. It's medium bodied and crisp. I didn't find any hops in the aroma, nor do I find any in the flavor except for a touch of an herbal and leafy note in the finish. It's background though and that higher alcohol ester thing is still there and distracting. This is obviously not well made, but it's cheap - although there are many better made budget beers on the market that cost less. Disappointing.

2.75 / 2.5 / 2.5 / 3.25 / 2.5 = 2.59 out of 5

2.36/5  rDev +4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.87/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured from 24 oz. can into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a very nice golden amber color with tons of tiny bubbles streaming up through the brew and producing a two finger head of white foam. The head has a modest level of retention, fading over time to leave a light level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the brew is strongest of sweeter smells of caramel and a decent showing of corn syrup. Along with these aromas comes a decent amount of a metallic smell.

Taste – The taste begins with a mix of a bready, light caramel, and corn cereal taste mixed with a bit of a metallic flavor. The metallic flavor gets stronger in nature as the taste advances all while the bready and the corn fade a bit. All the while a bit of a cardboard flavor develops and with a loss much of the caramel, one is left with a somewhat off metallic and cardboard corny taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of eh brew is on the slightly thicker side (for a 5 % adjunct lager) with a carbonation level that was average. A little thinner body may have been slightly better for the mix of caramel and corn upfront and may have downplayed some of the off flavors slightly better. Overall the feel was not all that bad though

Overall – Not the tastiest of brews, but for the cheap price it is actually a decent go too. A good party brew.

1.05/5  rDev -53.7%

A few days ago I thought I had a bad beer - HA! This is even worse than the world beers I've had from the world's poorest countries. Totally sweet beer water and nothing more. Except some alcohol to get you wasted man. Aroma is a weird, not normally found in beer, sweet, um, not spice, sen-sen? no, some sort of cleaner/disinfectant I think.

4.61/5  rDev +103.1%

This is an excellent session beer. One of the best ever. It is complex with interesting notes of fresh hops, fruits and grain. It reminds me of premium German and/or Czech biers. Absolutely love it. My fridge is now full of Boxer and I have never had more friends.

2.16/5  rDev -4.8%

2.32/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Initially wild look, with rampant carbonation and a small but lively head. Settles quite quickly. Clear golden appearance. Looks like a boring lager.

Strong carbonation with a lot of sweetness. Subtle notes of malt, but I was really looking for something to latch onto so that might just be Stockholm Syndrome. For the price, this is fine. But I prefer my light lagers to be less carbonated, even if I might be in the minority here.

3.53/5  rDev +55.5%

2.95/5  rDev +30%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tastes like soap
soap
soap an then more soap and then right after that it also tastes just like soap...
Hamms is better for cheap stuff.

3.1/5  rDev +36.6%

I bought this beer on impulse from the liquor store across the street, The price point was 2 for $1, this was a low risk high reward situation. I found this beer tasted rather inoffensive, by the time I downed the first beer the next thing I knew I was polishing off the next one.

1.36/5  rDev -40.1%

I, too, was lured in by the $13.40 for 36 cans price -- cheapest per fl. oz. I think I had ever seen. And I have no problem with a "just get wasted" beer, having glugged Schaefer and Schmidt in college -- though that was long ago and isn't the main purpose anymore. I don't drink to get bombed any longer. That said, when is this "just get wasted" beer going to give me so much as a buzz? Memorial Day Sunday, I think I could have chugged all 36 cans in rapid succession and not suffered so much as a mild-buzz headache. Water overloadl poisoning maybe. Was the 4.2% alcohol content before or after dumping the vat of water into the mix??? As for taste, can't comment on something that has none. If I wanted Aquafina, I would have bought it.

1.7/5  rDev -25.1%

Ok considering the price of it

2.63/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

beer of choice for broke college students. 30 pack for 12$? SIGN ME UP (10 years ago)

1.02/5  rDev -55.1%

Worst beer ever!! Don't do it!

1.03/5  rDev -54.6%

Yucky yucky yucky yucky yucky

Boxer Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery