Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout | Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
minhasbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Added by biboergosum on 09-20-2011

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

Black amber appearance with lots of bubbly brown head that slowly settles down leaving some lacing. Smell consists of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, nuts, caramel and sweetness. Some good features so far.

Taste is a lighter version of the smell, chocolate, caramel, nuts, coffee and some dark fruit. Has a sour, bitter and smokey taste to it overall. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter and malty.

Overall, this is a refreshing beer with some complex features. I can’t believe this came from Minhas and doesn’t taste like metal or chemicals; Good step forward for the brewery. But anyways, this is a decent chocolate stout, worth a try.

3.74/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours nearly black, with little suds and no lace.

Aroma: Cocoa, in a good way.

Taste: More cocoa up front, with some burnt malts near the finish. This is a decent and very drinkable beer that’s not too chocolatey to be as gimmicky as it sounds. Solid cocoa stout that I’d gladly drink again.

3.73/5  rDev +23.1%

For $2.99 for a bomber, I thought why not. Sounds good enough.

Solid brown tinted black with a nice head of java colored foam and some sticky lacing as well.

The nose is quite milk chocolatey, but it is a bit like the cheap chocolate bunny type milk chocolate. Some grainy malt scents, cola and root beer with just a hint of sour.

Not getting as much chocolate as I would like, but there is a nice dusty cocoa presence. I would say there is more roast to this than chocolate, but a pleasant flavor overall. A touch of coffee bean in there too. A little cola and cocoa on the finish.

Soft and nearly creamy feel, but the finish is dry and chalky. Light-medium body.

After looking at some of the reviews, I was a bit scared, but this isn't too shabby a beer. It drinks very easy and is an appropriate stab for the style. I don't know if I would get it again, but for the price, I'm not disappointed in the product.

3.62/5  rDev +19.5%

A - Pours nicely into a very deep brown body with a light and somewhat frothy head of only about an inch tops. The head is a medium to dark brown and displays moderate stamina.

S - Chocolaty with a hinting of roasted malt and coffee.

T - Roasted malts are prevalent with a subtle mesquite and smoke flavor towards the end. While it claims to be a chocolate stout I don't know if I'm buying what they're selling as far as that goes.

M - The feel of his beverage is far too light for my liking. I like thick stouts with very little carbonation. This one seems to be carbonated to the gills.

~ For a light bodied stout with a a strong roasty flavor this beer does come through. I think the reason for the lower ratings here may be in part to the category in which this beer fits has a some real superstars. While this is certainly no star, it does fill its role nicely. And at $2.99 for a bomber, why would you not give this beer a sampling.

3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, some sweetness. Taste is not bad, mild, a bit of chocolate, none of the flavors usually associated with a Minhas beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, probably the best that I have had from this brewery.

3.57/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pitch black with a creamy tan head. One of the darker beers I have seen.

Mainly smells of chocolate, there is also toffee and brown sugar.

Chocolate dominates, no surprise there. It is more a sweet type, with undertones of coffee to add some bitterness. Also hints of brown sugar.

Feel is a bit thin for the style, a beer like this should be thicker.

Not great, but better than I expected for the price. Usually I think of stouts as cool weather beers, but this one would be good on a hotter day. It goes down easy, and has a decent flavor, and isn't as filling as a heavier beer. Definitely worth a try at this price, just a decent beer at a good price.

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it!

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout from Minhas Craft Brewery