Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout | Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
minhasbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Added by biboergosum on 09-20-2011

1.27/5  rDev -58.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Just horrible. Had this strange flavor that I couldn't put my finger on but tasted like someone out their dirty finger in it. Sounded good but thoroughly disappointed!

1.92/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Oh no, this looked a bit strange and cheap looking, but I figured I'd give it a shot. With the current score, I'm really scared now.

Pours a darker colored fizzy 1/4 finger light head that fades fairly quickly too with a bit of lacing, over pitch black colored beer, no light coming through.

NOse bguytheeewwww, blech, uch, holy sh*t, i don't even think this can pass as beer. My nostrils are inflamed with the horrendousness of what I just breathed in. Tons and tons of corn stalk, just pure corn stalk starch, rotting stench of bread with 10 year old mold. I don't get any malt, any chocolate, any thing that might possibly resemble beer.

I'm so afraid to taste this thing, but I eventually have to, so here goes... holy shit, I just shivered with terrible taste, maybe quivered, this putrid rotting liquid. Corn feces and starch that was digested and turned into corn starch anal leakage. There aren't words to describe the horror I'm forcing my mouth to go through right now. Well, there is at least a hint of powdered fake chocolate in there, and a touch of off flavor bitterness. Oh GOD! When will it be over?!

Mouth is slimy and powdered chalky and just terrible, little carbonation, and somehow gritty and weird feeling.

I wonder if I can return this beer for just being so, so, so so bad, I can't even fathom how this could even be put out and called a beer. This is actually offensive, and I feel sorry for having to subject my septic system to it.

1.96/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Fake cocoa powder, thin body (even for the ABV), off notes in the nose. Easily the worst stout I've had, wouldn't buy again even at a $1.49/bomber price point.

This beer is all over the place, just so many faults. The worst of these is the horrible, cloying aftertaste that resembles vinegar mixed with cigarette butts. Avoid at any price.

2.05/5  rDev -32.3%

I've had a couple different chocolate stouts, and this one has easily been my least favorite. It was on sale at the craft beer store I usually go to so I thought I'd give it a try, but I can now see why it was so cheap for a 22-ounce bottle.

Appearance - Looked decent enough. Really dark with a nice dark tan head on it. Head dissipated really quickly though, and there was zero lacing, so after about 5 minutes the appearance wasn't particularly great either.

Smell - I got a lot more of hops in the aroma than I did in the beer itself. You can pick up a lot on the chocolate and it doesn't smell like particularly good chocolate.

Taste - Just not good. The chocolate is overpowering and like I mentioned before, it's not even a good chocolate flavor. A lot of nice, rich dark chocolate would be one thing, but this feels like they just dumped a lot of Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix into the kettle.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly thin for a stout. Very little carbonation, honestly a little flat feeling. It's possible I got a bad bottle (there wasn't a bottle date) but I'm not gonna risk it by buying more.

2.12/5  rDev -30%

Look is black with a slight beige inch thick head. Smells like watery chocolate and something souring. Tastes like cardboard, corn sugar, pennies, band aid, and a little tiny bit of chocolate all mixed up in a big ole batch of water. I can't drink it.

2.16/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Pours with 3 fingers of bubbly tan head over a dark brown body. Head recedes slowly.

S: Slight cocoa and burnt.

T: The first sip was "woody". I got very little stout or chocolate flavor. It was surprising - not happy birthday surprise - like you have an STD surprise. The second sip was improved slightly - but still not enjoyable. I went for a third...

M: Very light and frothy feeling. Not a good mouth feel.

O: Between the taste and mouthfeel I just couldn't get into this one. I have to admit it is the first beer I didn't finish. (I only had a single bottle - I leave open the possibility that I got a bad one). I am not going to get another and find out.

2.25/5  rDev -25.7%

2.25/5  rDev -25.7%

2.26/5  rDev -25.4%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Very nicely dark in appearance, two fingers of tan head that fell apart in about one minute, but left little lacing behind.
S. Smells like Hershey's chocolate syrup in there with, with a ghostly faint amount of roasted character hiding behind an odd plastic acridness. Not pleasant.
T. Tastes only a little bit less like Hershey's syrup than you would expect given the nose on it. Strangely alternates between too-sweet and sourness in the finish, I could swear I'm also tasting low levels of some kind of tannin. Needs a lot more roasted malt flavor than it presents.
M. On the thinner side of medium thickness, but texturally not nearly as creamy in body as I would have preferred in a chocolate stout.

2.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy light brown head. Retention is lacking, but a decent amount of lacing is left.

3.0 S: Light roastiness with cocoa powder. Smells good, but is boring. Lightly tangy.

2.0 T: Lightly roasty, cocoa powder, and cooked vegetables. It's bad, but it's not unthinkably horrid.

2.0 M: Super light body. Carbonation is right. Not creamy at all, just thin.

2.0 D: Again Minhas has disappointed. While this is better than the Imperial Jack, it's still something I'd never like to drink again.

2.38/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Chocolate Bunny pours an almost black color with a nice long lasting lacing head. There is a mellow cocoa powder aroma. The taste has a very cheap and granny backbone, with rotten corn like flavors, with just the tiniest amount of chocolate. Bad flavors. Overall there really isn't chocolate, and the rotten flavors really make it near undrinkable.

2.39/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A- Pours a deep dark black. A very thin dark tan head forms upon pouring but almost instantly dissipates leaving behind a thin layer of white lacing in the middle of the beers surface and a ring around the edges of the glass.

S- Smell's very strongly of sweet cocoa chocolate. Has a bit of an alcoholic estheryness to it. There is also a faint sourness to the aroma somewhat reminiscent of red wine. Notes of caramel, bourbon, whiskey mash, and grapes are also present. In the beginning the aroma starts off sweet and ends somewhat sour. This is a very odd smelling stout.

T- Sweet yet bland with a chocolatey taste. Taste's very much like hot cocoa with a sweet start and a somewhat bitter finish. The taste makes it seem very much like flavor was added rather than formed naturally in this beer.

M- Feels very light for the style. very watery much like a dry stout. with light carbonation.

O- This beer was a very big disappointment. I really try hate people who bash beers due to their own particular tastes and so it makes me really uncomfortable when I have so many bad things to say about a beer like this. This is a beer that is dressed up very poorly to be like a stout, but is far from the real deal. However on a lighter note it is very easy to drink and would be sessionable if it came in 12oz bottle or better yet, cans. The price for this beer is very fitting because at 2.95, you really do get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong this beer is definitely enjoyable and much much better than your average American light and adjunct lager, but it is really just not good by average stout standers which is what it needs to be rated by. It really is one of the worst I have had in its style category. IF you hate dark beer but like trying new things then I would suggest you try this beer.

2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Short lived mocha head on a dark brown/black beer. No lacing.

S- Good whiffs reveals an overly sweet chocolate scent...but you gotta get your nose in there deep.

T- Not much of the robust roasty flavor one would expect from a stout. Very small hint of chocolate. Aftertaste akin to acidic vomit D:

M- Medium to medium thin mouthfeel. Almost over-carbonated.

D/O- Had this Minhas offering right after my own stout homebrew and I don't mean to brag but my brew whooped the floor with Chocolate Bunny. That's not sayin' much though. I could go on and on about this stout but I think you get the picture.

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout from Minhas Craft Brewery