Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout | Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout
Liked This Beer

Liked:
3.1/5
Alströms:

2.76/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

For $2.99 for a bomber, I thought why not. Sounds good enough.

Solid brown tinted black with a nice head of java colored foam and some sticky lacing as well.

The nose is quite milk chocolatey, but it is a bit like the cheap chocolate bunny type milk chocolate. Some grainy malt scents, cola and root beer with just a hint of sour.

Not getting as much chocolate as I would like, but there is a nice dusty cocoa presence. I would say there is more roast to this than chocolate, but a pleasant flavor overall. A touch of coffee bean in there too. A little cola and cocoa on the finish.

Soft and nearly creamy feel, but the finish is dry and chalky. Light-medium body.

After looking at some of the reviews, I was a bit scared, but this isn't too shabby a beer. It drinks very easy and is an appropriate stab for the style. I don't know if I would get it again, but for the price, I'm not disappointed in the product.

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

3.14/5  rDev +1.3%

Picked this beauty up because they were selling if for $1.89. I will reuse the bottle which is probably worth a buck so I figure, "How bad can it be for 90 cents." When I sat down to drink it I had just had a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout so the Bunny was up against it, tough act to follow. Oustanding looking beer, they nailed the appearance. But well, it goes downhill from there. Not the worst beer I have ever had, but certainly not good. Overall I am trying to decide if it will be worth another $1.89.

2.45/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is not good.. It says on the bottle "is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?".. I would argue that neither is the case.. Its a mishmash of off tastes and very thin mouthfeel.. Only saving grace is that its Easter and there's a bunny on the bottle

4.41/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had as Boatswain Chocolate Stout. Comes out of the bottle a beautiful warm sable with a very thick and rather persistent tan head. Aroma has roast malt, chocolate and coffee notes with a hint of caramel. Smoky flavor builds on a roast malt core with coffee, semi-sweet chocolate and caramel plus a hint of horehound. Smooth, firm texture is quite fizzy and lively. Boatswain or bunny, it’s a good choice.

3.79/5  rDev +22.3%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a mug

A - It is black as a coal miner's lung. Even when held to a direct source, no light comes through. A vigorous pour yields only a couples inches of mocha head.

S - I smells like chocolate syrup. It's like Choklat's little brother.

T - At first I was disappointed. I was not getting a lot of flavor. As it warms, the chocolate starts to come out. I get some more of that chocolate syrup thing going. Once again, it reminds me of Choklat's little bro.

M - It is pretty thin for a stout. It is smooth with low carbonation, but I like my stouts thick.

O - This beer grew on me the more I drank. It has good flavor that comes out as it warms. It is super cheap and was worth the <$4 I paid for the bomber of it.

2.33/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy light brown head. Retention is lacking, but a decent amount of lacing is left.

3.0 S: Light roastiness with cocoa powder. Smells good, but is boring. Lightly tangy.

2.0 T: Lightly roasty, cocoa powder, and cooked vegetables. It's bad, but it's not unthinkably horrid.

2.0 M: Super light body. Carbonation is right. Not creamy at all, just thin.

2.0 D: Again Minhas has disappointed. While this is better than the Imperial Jack, it's still something I'd never like to drink again.

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

2.92/5  rDev -5.8%

1.96/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Fake cocoa powder, thin body (even for the ABV), off notes in the nose. Easily the worst stout I've had, wouldn't buy again even at a $1.49/bomber price point.

3.27/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Very dark brown and almost fully opaque, with just a little light getting through around the edges. Forms a very small, cola-like head that dissipates to absolute nothingness rather quickly. Not even a hint of lacing.

S: The nose on this one is rather faint, but what is there is primarily chocolate with lesser notes of molasses, syrup, and vanilla.

T: Very mild taste of roasted malts, chocolate syrup, and coffee.

M: Medium, but feels thin and watery. Lower carbonation and a mild cocoa bitterness.

O: Well I do get some chocolate out of this one. Unfortunately, it's more along the lines of Hershey's syrup than actual chocolate, but it is what it is: a simplistic, easy drinking "chocolate-flavored" stout. At least the flavors are just thin; this beer could be a lot worse than it is.

3.34/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Price Paid : 50 cents (broken/clearance bucket)
Poured into a snifter, bottle rested on ice cubes for half an hour.

It pours a dark black chocolate color, no head. 100% opaque.

Aroma is of dark cocoa, a hint of fig, krackle bar. Not a bad smell but difficult to detect.

Flavor is of chocolate, faint coffee bean, torched peanuts, and tangy, sweaty prunes. I'm not detecting too many off flavors, but then again, this is literally brain-freezing ice cold. (As it warms, I get a rush of chocolate melted to tin, and a lot of rotten/off flavors. So yes, chilling it out like a bad lager does the trick)

Feels light for the style, more like a porter but has the stout-like dryness on the finish and throughout the body.

Overall impressions : This wasn't the drain pour I was expecting it to be. As it warms up it starts to lose its beauty face and flaws start to peek through. Temperature sensitive, much like Rolling Rock or Corona. Must drink ice cold or risk potential death.

2.56/5  rDev -17.4%

A - impenetrable black with a thick thumb of mocha head that retained respectably
S - dark chocolate and roasty notes, bit of an artificial fruit syrup aroma, slightly grainy
T - definite big dark chocolate presence, a strong and somewhat overwhelming fruitiness, a strange plastic thing going on, slightly woody finish
M - low carbonation, starts smooth but quickly moves to a prickly tartness, chalky dry finish
O - I commend the 'damn good beer' folks for trying something, but this beer highlights the trouble with try to go from being a cheap piss beer producer to a craft brewer without any in between, this just doesn't work

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout from Minhas Craft Brewery