Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout | Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
minhasbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Added by biboergosum on 09-20-2011

Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 188
2.95/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours dark brown with only a little light shining through when held up to a light. Fairly thick head that receded rapidly. Very light aroma of chocolate and soy. Taste is soy sauce and cocoa powder. Very light in the feel and over carbonated for a stout in my opinion. Not a fan.

Pours an opaque dark brown color with khaki colored head. Chocolate and a light roast on the nose; follows onto the palate. Medium bodied. Finishes with cocoa and roast. Not bad for a stout, but overall enjoyable to drink.

3.28/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another random bottle from my son's Secret Santa mixed six-pack. He doesn't drink beer. Lucky me.
Appearance - dark. DARK. Pours almost black and held to the light I can't see any color through it at all. Did I mention that it's dark? Nice dark nougat-y head that dissipated to just a ring in a few minutes time.
Aroma is indicative of a dark beer but not chocolaty or roasty in particular.
Taste is a bit more dry and roasted than I was expecting. I've had several beers with cocoa nibs or cocoa powder and I don't get any of that in this. There's a bit of a tingle at the tip of my tongue from the carbonation but the flavor notes are mostly evident in the palette versus the taste buds. Not overly sweet, not overly bitter (bottle says 66 IBU). Given the low impact of the ingredients that are supposed to punch this up but don't, I'm guessing it's a bit of old stock, which would be consistent with the other beers I've sampled from this six pack. For all I know, the Secret Santa received these last Christmas and cleaned out the fridge for this year.
Mouthfeel is pretty decent, maybe just the slightest bit of a sour quality behind the carbonation. Again, age.
Overall - after reading the other reviews and overall score on this product I wasn't honestly expecting much and I have to agree that my bottle is not consistent with the taste of a chocolate bunny - not chocolatey, no lactose quality to it. It is a pleasant enough and easy-drinking dark beer.

4.41/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had as Boatswain Chocolate Stout. Comes out of the bottle a beautiful warm sable with a very thick and rather persistent tan head. Aroma has roast malt, chocolate and coffee notes with a hint of caramel. Smoky flavor builds on a roast malt core with coffee, semi-sweet chocolate and caramel plus a hint of horehound. Smooth, firm texture is quite fizzy and lively. Boatswain or bunny, it’s a good choice.

1.27/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Just horrible. Had this strange flavor that I couldn't put my finger on but tasted like someone out their dirty finger in it. Sounded good but thoroughly disappointed!

2.58/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

11.2oz bottle, Julian date of 9/10/15. Pours brown with a large sized tan head which quickly recedes to a thin strip. Smells of roasted malt and faint chocolate; weak intensity. Tastes of cherry, vanilla, roasted malt, and some faint chocolate. Very thin body with above average carbonation. Overall, it doesn't fit the style at all and has a weak chocolate flavor contrary to its name. Not recommended.

3.34/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Price Paid : 50 cents (broken/clearance bucket)
Poured into a snifter, bottle rested on ice cubes for half an hour.

It pours a dark black chocolate color, no head. 100% opaque.

Aroma is of dark cocoa, a hint of fig, krackle bar. Not a bad smell but difficult to detect.

Flavor is of chocolate, faint coffee bean, torched peanuts, and tangy, sweaty prunes. I'm not detecting too many off flavors, but then again, this is literally brain-freezing ice cold. (As it warms, I get a rush of chocolate melted to tin, and a lot of rotten/off flavors. So yes, chilling it out like a bad lager does the trick)

Feels light for the style, more like a porter but has the stout-like dryness on the finish and throughout the body.

Overall impressions : This wasn't the drain pour I was expecting it to be. As it warms up it starts to lose its beauty face and flaws start to peek through. Temperature sensitive, much like Rolling Rock or Corona. Must drink ice cold or risk potential death.

2.38/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Chocolate Bunny pours an almost black color with a nice long lasting lacing head. There is a mellow cocoa powder aroma. The taste has a very cheap and granny backbone, with rotten corn like flavors, with just the tiniest amount of chocolate. Bad flavors. Overall there really isn't chocolate, and the rotten flavors really make it near undrinkable.

2.12/5  rDev -29.1%

Look is black with a slight beige inch thick head. Smells like watery chocolate and something souring. Tastes like cardboard, corn sugar, pennies, band aid, and a little tiny bit of chocolate all mixed up in a big ole batch of water. I can't drink it.

2.45/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is not good.. It says on the bottle "is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?".. I would argue that neither is the case.. Its a mishmash of off tastes and very thin mouthfeel.. Only saving grace is that its Easter and there's a bunny on the bottle

1.96/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Fake cocoa powder, thin body (even for the ABV), off notes in the nose. Easily the worst stout I've had, wouldn't buy again even at a $1.49/bomber price point.

3.79/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

At 66 IBU this stout is a little different than most but it is still pretty tasty, and for 2.99 a bomber you really can't pass it up. I recommend at least giving this beer a try if you enjoy stouts and chocolate stouts.

This beer is all over the place, just so many faults. The worst of these is the horrible, cloying aftertaste that resembles vinegar mixed with cigarette butts. Avoid at any price.

3.14/5  rDev +5%

Picked this beauty up because they were selling if for $1.89. I will reuse the bottle which is probably worth a buck so I figure, "How bad can it be for 90 cents." When I sat down to drink it I had just had a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout so the Bunny was up against it, tough act to follow. Oustanding looking beer, they nailed the appearance. But well, it goes downhill from there. Not the worst beer I have ever had, but certainly not good. Overall I am trying to decide if it will be worth another $1.89.

A: Pours a dull brown color without minor carbonation
S: Burnt chocolate, asphalt
T: Toasty, tangy, burnt nuts
M: Slight granular feel (cocoa powder?), light body
O: If somebody handed it to me I probably wouldn't refuse but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this beer; a little too burnt and thin for my taste.

2.16/5  rDev -27.8%

A: Pours with 3 fingers of bubbly tan head over a dark brown body. Head recedes slowly.

S: Slight cocoa and burnt.

T: The first sip was "woody". I got very little stout or chocolate flavor. It was surprising - not happy birthday surprise - like you have an STD surprise. The second sip was improved slightly - but still not enjoyable. I went for a third...

M: Very light and frothy feeling. Not a good mouth feel.

O: Between the taste and mouthfeel I just couldn't get into this one. I have to admit it is the first beer I didn't finish. (I only had a single bottle - I leave open the possibility that I got a bad one). I am not going to get another and find out.

2.76/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

2.05/5  rDev -31.4%

I've had a couple different chocolate stouts, and this one has easily been my least favorite. It was on sale at the craft beer store I usually go to so I thought I'd give it a try, but I can now see why it was so cheap for a 22-ounce bottle.

Appearance - Looked decent enough. Really dark with a nice dark tan head on it. Head dissipated really quickly though, and there was zero lacing, so after about 5 minutes the appearance wasn't particularly great either.

Smell - I got a lot more of hops in the aroma than I did in the beer itself. You can pick up a lot on the chocolate and it doesn't smell like particularly good chocolate.

Taste - Just not good. The chocolate is overpowering and like I mentioned before, it's not even a good chocolate flavor. A lot of nice, rich dark chocolate would be one thing, but this feels like they just dumped a lot of Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix into the kettle.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly thin for a stout. Very little carbonation, honestly a little flat feeling. It's possible I got a bad bottle (there wasn't a bottle date) but I'm not gonna risk it by buying more.

3.26/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Came in a 22-ounce bottle and chilled to 36 degrees in my beer cooler. Pours a pitch black with a 1-finger tan head that leaves good lacing when sipped. The aroma is of roasted malt and chocolate. Actually it is brewed with cocoa powder. The taste of chocolate hits you with the first sip along with a hint of caramel. Smooth overall with no harsh finish. Not a bad stout but should be a tad thicker. Overall it wasn't bad.

3.05/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

purchased this from Half Time, enjoyed chilled in a goblet.

The color is black, clarity opaque with thick medium tan cap which collapses to a ring of tight beads. The lace sticks in strings to the glass. The smell is kind of vegetal and very roasty, but not exactly sweet with mild toasted bread aroma. The feel is not great a little too much roast/char and mild sweetness with a slightly slick feel with mild carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is not bad at first with some malt flavor which is roasted with a mild caramel sweetness in the background with some light vegetal tastes in the mid palate. The taste is not very chocolatey, but it is dry and herbal with some mild yeast accents which give a subtle fruitiness to the taste. Overall I guess this is not all bad, but it lacks what you are looking for most in a chocolate flavored stout which is chocolate taste- this doesn't have much stout in the flavor either really just roasted malt so I would definitely not buy this again.

3.55/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pitch black with a creamy tan head. One of the darker beers I have seen.

Mainly smells of chocolate, there is also toffee and brown sugar.

Chocolate dominates, no surprise there. It is more a sweet type, with undertones of coffee to add some bitterness. Also hints of brown sugar.

Feel is a bit thin for the style, a beer like this should be thicker.

Not great, but better than I expected for the price. Usually I think of stouts as cool weather beers, but this one would be good on a hotter day. It goes down easy, and has a decent flavor, and isn't as filling as a heavier beer. Definitely worth a try at this price, just a decent beer at a good price.

3.53/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it!

4.21/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A= Black, with a half inch, tawny head of tight bubbles that recedes in a minute or two.
S= Roasted barley/coffee aroma with a touch of chocolate.
T=A bit of chocolate accompanying roasted barley flavor. Sweetness detected at the front and the middle, suggesting crystal malt, with a dry finish.
M=The bottle says silky, and I would say they nailed it. Lightly coats the mouth and lips.

This is a very nice chocolate stout. My own preference would be to dial the sweetness back a notch to see if it enhances drinkability. As is, it works as pleasant dessert beer. It might pair better with savory foods with less residual sweetness. If this beer came out of my homebrewery, I would be pretty pleased, because it is a hair's width away from being dialed in.

4.22/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This stout is thick!!! Don't expect to drink more than one bomber without feeling full. It is def on the classic stout side but the cocoa overtones are super dense. It has a dark chocolate taste that turns a little bitter as I am accustomed to for stouts. Definantly leaves your mouth salivating for a chocolate rabbit.

3.79/5  rDev +26.8%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a mug

A - It is black as a coal miner's lung. Even when held to a direct source, no light comes through. A vigorous pour yields only a couples inches of mocha head.

S - I smells like chocolate syrup. It's like Choklat's little brother.

T - At first I was disappointed. I was not getting a lot of flavor. As it warms, the chocolate starts to come out. I get some more of that chocolate syrup thing going. Once again, it reminds me of Choklat's little bro.

M - It is pretty thin for a stout. It is smooth with low carbonation, but I like my stouts thick.

O - This beer grew on me the more I drank. It has good flavor that comes out as it warms. It is super cheap and was worth the <$4 I paid for the bomber of it.

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout from Minhas Craft Brewery