Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout | Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout
3.1/5

Minhas Craft Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
minhasbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Added by biboergosum on 09-20-2011

3.53/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it!

4.21/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A= Black, with a half inch, tawny head of tight bubbles that recedes in a minute or two.
S= Roasted barley/coffee aroma with a touch of chocolate.
T=A bit of chocolate accompanying roasted barley flavor. Sweetness detected at the front and the middle, suggesting crystal malt, with a dry finish.
M=The bottle says silky, and I would say they nailed it. Lightly coats the mouth and lips.

This is a very nice chocolate stout. My own preference would be to dial the sweetness back a notch to see if it enhances drinkability. As is, it works as pleasant dessert beer. It might pair better with savory foods with less residual sweetness. If this beer came out of my homebrewery, I would be pretty pleased, because it is a hair's width away from being dialed in.

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

2.25/5  rDev -27.4%

4.22/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This stout is thick!!! Don't expect to drink more than one bomber without feeling full. It is def on the classic stout side but the cocoa overtones are super dense. It has a dark chocolate taste that turns a little bitter as I am accustomed to for stouts. Definantly leaves your mouth salivating for a chocolate rabbit.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%