Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout | Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
minhasbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Added by biboergosum on 09-20-2011

3.79/5  rDev +25.1%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a mug

A - It is black as a coal miner's lung. Even when held to a direct source, no light comes through. A vigorous pour yields only a couples inches of mocha head.

S - I smells like chocolate syrup. It's like Choklat's little brother.

T - At first I was disappointed. I was not getting a lot of flavor. As it warms, the chocolate starts to come out. I get some more of that chocolate syrup thing going. Once again, it reminds me of Choklat's little bro.

M - It is pretty thin for a stout. It is smooth with low carbonation, but I like my stouts thick.

O - This beer grew on me the more I drank. It has good flavor that comes out as it warms. It is super cheap and was worth the <$4 I paid for the bomber of it.

1.5/5  rDev -50.5%

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, some sweetness. Taste is not bad, mild, a bit of chocolate, none of the flavors usually associated with a Minhas beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, probably the best that I have had from this brewery.

2.42/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As far as this beer goes, it was fine on most accounts other than being a beer. In essence it was carbonated water with a dash of barely and hopes and a hole hell of a lot of cocoa.

Appearance- A nice dark/opaque brown with a nice cocoa colored head, but no lacing.

Smell- The aroma was straight watery chocolate. It lacked any other smell.

Taste- Like mentioned above, it bares little resemblance to a beer and a lot of resemblance to Nesquick. I enjoyed the juvenile taste, but it was hardly the stout I was looking for.

Mouth feel- Like watery slime

Overall- I could see using this beer to convince people that say they don't like beer to open the door for them, but do not see myself drinking it again.

3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

1.92/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Oh no, this looked a bit strange and cheap looking, but I figured I'd give it a shot. With the current score, I'm really scared now.

Pours a darker colored fizzy 1/4 finger light head that fades fairly quickly too with a bit of lacing, over pitch black colored beer, no light coming through.

NOse bguytheeewwww, blech, uch, holy sh*t, i don't even think this can pass as beer. My nostrils are inflamed with the horrendousness of what I just breathed in. Tons and tons of corn stalk, just pure corn stalk starch, rotting stench of bread with 10 year old mold. I don't get any malt, any chocolate, any thing that might possibly resemble beer.

I'm so afraid to taste this thing, but I eventually have to, so here goes... holy shit, I just shivered with terrible taste, maybe quivered, this putrid rotting liquid. Corn feces and starch that was digested and turned into corn starch anal leakage. There aren't words to describe the horror I'm forcing my mouth to go through right now. Well, there is at least a hint of powdered fake chocolate in there, and a touch of off flavor bitterness. Oh GOD! When will it be over?!

Mouth is slimy and powdered chalky and just terrible, little carbonation, and somehow gritty and weird feeling.

I wonder if I can return this beer for just being so, so, so so bad, I can't even fathom how this could even be put out and called a beer. This is actually offensive, and I feel sorry for having to subject my septic system to it.

2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

A- Dark, dark brown with a fluffy mocha tan 2 finger head. Very nice lacing and retention. Looks fantastic.

S- Name suits it well…lots of chocolate notes. Roasted malts and hints of coffee.

T- Once again, the chocolate reference suits it well. Lots of semi sweet chocolate and dark cocoa flavors. Has a nice smoky flavor that fades quickly into an acidified bitter…not of dark chocolate…but of bad coffee.

M- Medium bodied and chewy.

O- This is my first offering from Minhas and I was extremely impressed by the appearance. As the saying goes however, “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” The brew didn't live up to its looks. Has the potential to be a very good offering, but needs some work on improving the artificial chocolate flavors and chemical acidity of a bad coffee. Not the worst Stout, but has some room for improvement.

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle: The aroma consists of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, vanilla, and a touch of roast. It pours a dark brown with some faint orange highlights and a small beige head. The flavor starts with a quick dose of sugary chocolate. The finish has some light roast and cream. It’s medium bodied with light-moderate carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

2.65/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours mahogany with 4 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, black currant, carob & cola

T: Cocoa & prunes, slight roasty notes up front, along with charred grains. More charred grains as this warms, prunes, cocoa & woody hop notes. Finishes dry, messy, &pruney

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation that flattens out as this warms. Gets real thin

A disjointed stout, not worth buying

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Let's keep the chocolate love a-flowin'! This stuff pours a deep obsidian topped by a steadfast finger of tan foam. The nose comprises cocoa powder backed by a strong coffee-like roasted malt scent. Still pretty pleasant. The taste throws some artificial cocoa at me, then proceeds to bitter-ize it as the finish nears. When things finally end, an acrid bit of dusty bitterness remains, and not one that's all that close to dark chocolate bitterness, either: it's like bad coffee. Dammit...and to think things started off so well. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a silky feel. Overall, an almost tasty brew, but one that goes awry when that pesky little thing called "taste" gets in the way. I should've known better than to think a Minhas-brewed beer could turn out well...

2.97/5  rDev -2%

One of the special draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary. No mention of the brewery on the menu...

This beer arrived a black liquid with a thin, tan colored head. Foam faded away quickly leaving no lace. Served very cold, so had to let it warm up a bit to coax more flavor out of it. The smell of the beer has the slightest aroma of coffee and chocolate, even as it warmed up the aromas did not get any better.
The taste of the beer was very average, left me wanting more. Some roasted malts but finished a bit acrid. No deep rich stout-like character. Smell, taste, body and mouthfeel were thin and watered down.
Very average when compared to Wild Rose Alberta Crude or St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (both of which they had available at the same time).

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

2.68/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured out as a deep black color with a thin tan colored head on top. The lacing and retention were minimal as they both faded away rather quickly. The smell of the beer gives off some light aromas of coffee and chocolate. There is also some roasted malt and a bit of funky yeast on the nose too. The taste of the beer was average at best... It had virtually no depth at all. There was roasted malts and coffee flavors upfront then it dropped off into basically just a tangy aftertaste that was a little confusing to me. The mouthfeel was watery and thin, it had a decent carbonation but really needed more body in order to be a stout in my opinion. Overall from what I had been hearing about Minhas, I expected much worse. This beer although not that good on any level still remained drinkable. Trish (tour guide and bartender) suggested that if the beer wasn't something we enjoyed that we should try adding some of the Cream Soda that Minhas makes. After adding that, this beer actually tasted a bit like a very thin version of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout. It made a difference but still not the greatest beer out there. Glad I got to try it both ways.

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%