Imperial Jack | Minhas Craft Brewery

Added by biggred1 on 09-27-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 55 | Ratings: 159
2.69/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Bell's Pint.
Pours with a half inch or so of whiteish head that sticks around pretty shortly. A very little bit of lacing. Clear and filtered. Copper/Amber hue, the beer itself looks pretty.
The smell is pretty underwhelming a little citrus but not much going on as far as I can tell.
The taste of this beer is pretty bland up front has a bitter finish that borders on unpleasant. It isn't awful but it's nothing to write home about certainly. The after taste is bitter and kind of blah but not bad, just not note-able.
The mouthfeel is thin and foamy, kind of like a good malt liquor. The only problem is I didn't think I was buying a good malt-liquor, I thought I was buying a DIPA haha. Like the other characteristics of this beer it borders on bland.
Look, this beer cost me three bucks for a bomber so I am not complaining. I think that the cost and ease of availability should be taken into consideration at least a little bit. Imperial Jack is certainly not anywhere near the top of my list of DIPA's but for such a low price I didn't exactly expect it to be. I do not think it is nearly as bad as the D rating it has here on BA. I prob wouldn't buy another one of these but I wouldn't turn one down either. I could see this being a go-to beer whenever one is poor and doesn't want to drink Bud Light. Realistically though, I would still prob grab a Pabst before this if I was really feeling the burn of poverty haha.

2.61/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a hazy orange copper colour with one finger worth of foamy cream colored head. Settles to a bit of a cap and left a decent amount of lacing.

S: A little bit of grassy hops with caramel malt taking over. The smell is pretty faint.

T: Grassy floral hops with caramel malt almost a sweetness on the finish. Just like the smell the taste is on the weaker side.

M: Light carbonation with a light to medium body.

O: Nothing special here. It was pretty cheap to buy and now I know why.

2.66/5  rDev +5.6%

22oz bomber. Not quite grokking the matryoshka doll adorned leaping hare imagery on the label...cultural shotgun attempt?

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden amber colour, with two fingers of puffy, foamy ecru head, which leaves a decent scattered array of webbed lace around the glass as it slowly recedes. It smells of grapefruit citrus and tart green apple, over a very subtle grainy malt. Fool me once. The taste is sweet muddled citrus, mild pine bitterness, thin caramel malt, and that dead organics, vegetal Minhas house character, that is mostly restrained in this offering, at least. Almost fool me twice. Proving an expectation finally realized, the 17-proof ABV is fairly well integrated. As far as bubbles go, this is quite average, nothing to dwell on; the body a lightweight medium weight, with graciousness, and surprising smoothness. It finishes off-dry, the suspiciously grainy malt floating in a realm of weedy hops that have been doused in Sunlight dish soap. No more foolin'.

If you had never had a DIPA before, and then stumbled upon this, you might think it all right. Not actually bad, or maybe even the shit. However, your concept of 'good', or 'great', or 'oh my fucking Jebus' wouldn't provide much counterbalance. Coming from the other side of the spectrum, however, this is just dressed-up shit.

2.09/5  rDev -17.1%

Currently sampling this beer side by side with it's younger, but equally disappointing younger brother, Thumper.

The differences between these beers are far outweighed by their similarities. The body is fuller and slightly more rounded here. Otherwise, it seems a true Double IPA in terms of doubling upon the overall ineptitutudes of the base. Overly sugary, non descript and clumsily hopped, and just a weird amalgamation of willy nilly ingredienting. Certainly a passable beer and one you're not missing anything with when you do.

2.56/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Crystal clear, light coppery amber with a cream colored foamy head that shrinks to a skim. Not much at all in the aroma, slightly grainy with a touch of green apple. I knew this beer had to be too good to be true, an 8.5% DIPA with 75 ibu's for three bucks? The flavors here are not in line with the style, green apple skin and raw grain with a touch of dishwater and low grade hops fusel alcohol burn in the finish. The mouthfeel is more Malt liquor than DIPA and that is what this reminds me of, a hoppy malt liquor. A really shabby attempt at the style but not entirely terrible, I like hoppy malt liquors.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last