Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Minhas Craft Brewery

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Reviews: 172 | Ratings: 507 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by ThirstySavage:
1.5/5  rDev -44%

1.02/5  rDev -61.9%

From Trader Joe's for about a buck fity, What could possibly go wrong?
Packaged in a snazzy looking can with a completely misleading statement that what lurks inside is a Double IPA
Don't be fooled. What poured forth into my Sam Smith's Perfect pint glass looked to be an almost flat, perfect representation of horse's urine, except horses can muster more foam.
The aroma is straight up spoiled malt liquor with a hint of moldy hay and old lemon peel. That alone almost caused a pre taste run to the sink, but I soldier on.
Taste is akin to chugging a Colt45 through a sink strainer at a vegetarian restaurant that specializes in fermented cabbage.
Useful for it's claimed alcohol content and not much else except maybe as a gag gift at a White Elephant party.
Twin screwed? Yep, once when buying and the second time trying to choke this disaster down.
Steamer? Yep, as in a huge steaming pile.

Avoid!

2.4/5  rDev -10.4%

8/22/18 Edit: Hindsight is 20/20. I don't know how I blew this review but I had to addend. Maybe It was because I hadn't really had a lot of double IPAS, but now I can fully say. 3.92? What the hell was I drinking?

4.99 For a sixer of cans. One year later, still the same price. Now I've had a few good IPAs/DIPAs in cans. It really changed my opinion of finding good beer in a can. This however, 3.92? No... Maybe I was green to the reviewing of DIPAs.

Poured amber orange with light carbonation, good head and very little lace. Smelled a little sweet, more on the pink grapefruit cocktail. There was also a note like JuJuBees candy. Bitter mouth, but not pucker bitter with a filling with foamy finish and lingering bitter. **2018 Edit: for the lesser ratings, Look ,Feel and Smell, I wasn't that far off but I lowered them to be average.

Raisin at the back with sweet fruit dominating. Alcohol muted and the JuJubee note wraps it up. ***2018 Edit: Okay, so I didn't know. I thought I'd found a good DIPA on the cheap. After drinking this again, I could only think of trying to put a square DIPA in a round can keeper. The fruit lays flat. The aftertaste leaves an unpleasant cooked rope note. JujuBees are there, but they are cooked. Even for the price, and I'm a fan of the cheap, I'd say pass.

1.37/5  rDev -48.9%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

4.47/5  rDev +66.8%

Looking at the other reviews here, I'm a little puzzled. This is a very good beer for it's type. Not all I.P.A's have the hoppy, citrus character predominant in bombers such as Hop Czar etc there is quite a range of hop flavors... I was pleasantly surprised that this was more mellow for a double IPA, and the buttery, delicatley peachy fruity esthers are as desireable as banana is in beers the direction of barleywine.

Perhaps this beer is in conflict with it's name... those negative reviews might have been expecting a mighty Hop Czar in this one labeled "Twin Screw Steamer". But this beer is full of flavor, like a Scotch ale.... A little thin bodied, and not highly carbonated, but very smooth and almost creamy, with lightly bitter, but not the strong 'hoppy' overtones.... Leans toward a Belgian Tripel. beautiful, clear, orange-gold color. I liked it and found it refreshing change from the stouts and porters which are my favorites.

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

You gotta be kidding me, somehow the double ipa for these guys might be worse than their already bottom of the barrel ipa? Pours another darker than average SRM for style. Barely there super thin white 1/8" head on the top. Aroma follows in the vein of the single ipa that has no hop aromatics, just a bunch of metallic copper feels and booziness.

Taste, jeez these reviews are nearly identical. They drop a substantial bitter metallic feel over some caramel malt with absolutely no hop flavor that could be described as having anything in common with fruit, be it citrus, tropical or otherwise. Certainly nothing in terms of pine or other plant or tree like notes. Just a bunch of copper pennies and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol tastes like it is 25% abv. This is the equivalent of the $7 1.75ml plastic bottle of vodka that they keep at the shittiest food and liquor stores in the hood.

3.72/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One word to keep in mind with this beer - Value. Not a great double IPA by any means and actually more in the scotch/english ale style. It lacks proper hops to be considered a decent IPA and is balanced on the malt end of the spectrum. Nice golden bronze color with a good head. Smell is a bit pungent. A tad harsh on the palate; you almost want to chew on the malt however it is very drinkable. With that said you can't go wrong for the price. I give this beer a 3.75 based on it's value. It wouldn't rate as high compared to Lagunitas or Stone but that's OK. There is room on the entry level for a value DIPA.

I was quite surprised. I expected a mediocre sub-Budweiser beer.

Poured a copper reddish color with a 2F head in Stone IPA glass.
Excellent aroma: fruit, especially esters.

The aroma transitions well to the taste. The esters and fruity taste continues, finished a by good hoppy bitterness.

Freshness may be key here. I couldn't decipher the bottle date, but it may have been fresh from Trader Joes. It's been in the fridge. Inexpensive.

3.94/5  rDev +47%

Boatswain Double I.P.A.
22 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.49 @ Trader Joe's #766, Tampa, FL

Enjoyed at cellar temperature in an Imperial "nonic" pint glass. This is a beer that's contract-brewed for Trader Joe's, and I think we're all aware of that. I was really surprised by it given where the American craft beer industry stands right now. It has some flaws but I think it's basically just not understood (or I could be reading it completely wrong!). Read on...

Appearance: A clear deep-amber/copper body teems with life as hundreds of tiny bubbles steadily rise towards the surface. Its rocky off-white head holds remarkably well and leaves some decent lacing behind. If there's a fault to this beer that's probably it apart from the obvious alcohol (which should be better cloaked).

Aroma: Fruity and floral with a mineralish component that almost comes across as medicinal at first whiff, but then reveals itself to be more of a "Burton stench" as it rests. It may take a little getting used to as it's not that common anymore, but it's authentic, and taken in a historic context, quite charming.

Flavor: An edge of burnt sugar in combination with the mineral and sulphur character of the beer (and a bit of alcohol) lends a bit of raspiness to an otherwise basic medium-caramel maltiness that's threaded through with floral, grassy, and leafy English hops (Fuggles, for sure, and most likely Kent Godlings - or an American equivalent). The yeast acts almost as a layer of shellac overtop, coating it with fruity flavors of soft pear, apple, and some orange marmalade. It's sweetish on one side, but quite dry on the other due to its solid bitterness, mineral content, and yeasty sulphur. It's not a complex beer in that all of its cards are laid right out on the table, but neither is it a beer that shows 'one' flavor or side.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a dextrinous edge (perhaps medium-full), and velvety smooth across the palate with a fine-bubbled, seemingly natural carbonation (although I know it's not).

Overall: It's a double IPA to be sure, with a solid 8.4% abv, a slap of alcohol, and a solid bitterness, but I find it quite curious because I've only ever sampled American double IPAs - and despite the fact that this is brewed in the USA, it's clearly "English" in nature. Are there, in fact, any "double" or "Imperial" IPAs brewed in England? But that leaves us with one argument: is the aroma hoppy enough to be labeled an "Imperial" or "double" IPA? In this case I think the question is moot. It's unique, and entertaining in that alone, but whether you like (or are even familiar with traditional English ales) certainly makes a difference. For the incredibly low price it's offered at I'd suggest that it's a must try.

3.39/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nose reminds me of Mad Elf; taste is similar with out half the sweetness. Feel is crisp with stars dark IPA aftertaste. Not bad @ $2.29 for a 650ml. Will probably buy again.

2.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Purchased as a "What the heck" at Trader Joes for $4.99. Poured into a 16 ounce glass from a 12 ounce can at refrigerator temp. It poured a golden amber with a generous head that left decent lacing. The smell was very bready/malty. I found it odd for a double IPA. The taste was surprising as it tasted like it was brewed with Belgian yeast with enough hops to add a bitter finish. If it was a blind tasting I would had thought it was some type of a full bodied Belgian with a bitter finish. As a double IPA I would have to rate it as a WTF are your trying to pull. As a beer it wasn't bad. I think if it was sold for what it was and not necessarily a double IPA the ratings would be better. Now that I know what it is I would purchase it again as a decent brew when I feel like not spending $14.99 for a different brand. In my opinion as a double IPA it was a total miss. As a beer it wasn't bad. Maybe it is cheaper to add taste using Belgian yeast rather than spending money on lots of hops?

3.52/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oh dear the hate on this just because of the price. Yes, you get what you pay for and picking the cheapest no-name DIPA in Trader Joes' is probably going to get you exactly what you deserve.

This pours from a 12oz can a light amber, with a thicker head than a 8.4% might suggest. Attractive look. Light amber with a barely hoppy and piney aroma..

Taste is IPA, sticky with the prerequisite spicey grapefruit bitter undercurrent. No alcohol heat, and in spite of the language on the can, this is not bold or big. Not a hop bomb by any real stretch.

Hey, it drinks like a fine generic ipa. They can call it a Double (imperial) because the high ABV and higher citrus undercurrent. Totally fine, especially for a $5 6-pack. Feels slick at the end, and when it warms, that hint of metallic taste starts to become evident. Don't pound these; too much bad alcohol makes you sick.

You've been warned and warmed.

1.61/5  rDev -39.9%

This is my first review... I would like to encourage people to avoid this beer... It is a bad representation of IPAs.

Strong sweet and sour aroma. Very little hoppiness for an IPA, nevermind a double. Alcohol too prominent. Cheap purchase from Trader Joes. Little drinkability. Amber in color. Similar to a barley wine or Banana Bread Beer. Little body and Carbonation. Sour and Bitter Aftertaste… Would NOT purchase again.

1.41/5  rDev -47.4%

Tastes like sweet turky bacon wrapped in plastic wrap, but at $5 for a six pack and at 8.4% ABV, its very chuggable. If you want to get drunk for cheap look no further. If you posses taste buds keep looking.

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%

I have been known to bring a few cans of this beer along when I hike into a swimmn' hole or ski the backcountry. Don't have to bring more than 3 - It's a buzz in a can ... and I have consumed many over the last few years. A very good value and very drinkable. The only time I've seen what the looks like is when I spilled it on the snow; a medium reddish amber. Smell doesn't put me off as I raise the can to my lips. Taste is not really that of a double IPA, the malt kinda overpowers the hops so it's a bit sweet, not so bitter. Feels just fined going down - average head (no sex jokes, please).

This beer is not labeled correctly. It's more of a strong ale and not really a DIPA. It's a solid beer for the price and enjoyable if you are not expecting a DIPA. Value for flavor is great. If I rated this as a DIPA, I agree with the low scores.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Drain pour. This was a mess. Notes of booze with hints of hops, what variety is a bit of a mystery. I can't quite put my finger on what else I was getting here but it wasn't good. Only 88 cents at Trader Joe's...

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

The Minhas stab at this style ends with much less emphasis on hop character and more nondescript malt influence than expected when reaching for the style.

The beer pours with a dense and hazy rust color, capped by a dense sand stained head that retains well and laces reasonably.

Off balanced aromas highly favor caramel, nuts, and grain with a mild rebuttal from hops. Leaves, twigs, and wood-like elements blend into grains and give rise to the fruity sweetness from esters.

Flavors favor similarly and caramel sweetness, part malt, part grain, and bread crust provide the base taste while pulling in esters of bruised fruit: apples, pears, peaches, and apricots deliver an English-like taste. Even the broad earthy bitterness of wet woods and damp earth sing a British tone.

Rich grainy-sweet textures also reside in mouthfeel as the residual sweetness sits heavy on the tongue. Mild carbonation does little to lift the sweetness or provide the creamy-dryness that the style demands. Finishing with extended sweetness, grain and hop astringency, the beer's clean bitterness is interrupted, thus compromising its pleasant finish.

All in all, this is a beer without identity. It bridges gaps of large English IPAs, strong ales, old ales, and lighter barleywines. Instead of satisfying a varying palate, it confuses and dispels the tastebuds.

1.91/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Idiotic 22oz bottle, from the TJ's bargain section. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a cloudy orange-amber color with just a thin cap of white head that very low (almost none) retention and decent lacing.

Oh, the humanity! The aroma was just off and wrong. An odd scent, almost like WD-40, hit the nose first, and dominated. There was a very mild malt scent, and some underlying hops. Sadly, those hops were of the onion variety. On the tongue, the beer had the same combination of chemical and onion, just not quite as strong.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps just a bit on the thin side. Drinkability was pretty bad, I made it through about 16oz, and the rest was a sidewalk pour (I respect my drain too much). Overall, pretty damn bad, avoid.

1.27/5  rDev -52.6%

Pathetic. Truly pathetic. Trader Joe's: stop selling this! It is not an IPA for one, there are no hops. The malt is completely dominant. It is sugary sweet and lacks depth of character. There is a significant boozy character, way too much for the style. The price was $5.99 for a six pack. Even at $1 a beer it is way over priced. Id say it should be no more than .25c and even then it should only be used for cooking chili or beer chicken; certainly not for drinking strait. I'm very disappointed in this beer. Shame on you Trader Joe's.

2.05/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I don't know I guess I had to see what a $2.98 IPA taste like. I knew it would be to good to be true but I am in Seattle..curiosity killed the cat for sure. A Natty Light drinker might be impressed! Great for trick or treat or a spoof on your best friend.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Wife picked this up at TJ’s for about $2 a bomber. Uh-oh. Well at least she brought me something back, eh? Popped the top and this thing right off the bat was smelling like a Budweiser straight from the bottle . Double oh-no’s!

Pours a dark amber colored ale with a big time cream colored head. Impressed with the lacing and staying power…..which disappears soon after I wrote that. Hmmmm.

The aroma is definitely improved since the pour into a glass. Big malts up front, toast, orange, biscuit and a touch of dankness.

The taste is very much on the sweet side. This is a different style of DIPA going on here. Not sure the type of hops used, but the sweetness continues to overpower and even moreso on the aftertaste. Fruity and lightly hoppy is the mix and not much else. Each sip I try to figure out what’s going on here…but finally give up.

Mouthfeel is decent but the sweetness detracts.

Overall this just wasn’t for me. If you like a sweeter DIPA then the price point is spot on for an 8.4% monster….me….I prefer a hop bomb-ruin the palate-type of DIPA. I’ll still keep my beautiful wife, but this “twin screw steamer” screwed me. I’ll be giving my paperboy his $2….cuz he wants his $2.

3.4/5  rDev +26.9%

I don't quite understand the hate behind this beer. For $2.29 at the local Trader Joe's and at 8.4% ABV with a decent taste, it is pretty good value.

The taste isn't very hoppy or scream 'IPA' let alone 'double IPA', but it isn't bad tasting. I had low standards for this beer considering it's price though.

Mouthfeel is average. Pretty alcoholic tasting, not in a good way, but it does have flavor there. It's much heartier than your average highly consumed beer which is good.

Appearance is average. Little to no head which is a disappointment. Cloudy orange.

Overall, this beer *isn't* great, but I don't think it's deserving of an extremely low rating. It has a slightly above average taste, and I would buy it again if I was in the mood. Great beer to take the edge off if you want to avoid the big brands just for only $2.29.

I think this is a great beer! I've had thousands of beers. 1$ a can, 8.4% and its smooth. I know a typical ipa is intense, heavy, hoppy..but this is smooth and enjoyable. I brought it to a party and all the girls were hesitant, then fell in love because it wasn't overpowering and high alcohol content... My new favorite beer!

2.11/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

What can I say, you get what you pay for. Absolutely no DIPA attributes. This smells and taste like a harsh Belgium beer. It's quite weird. Apple, banana esters, bubblegum. Sweetness builds as it warms and again, not an inkling of hops. I will be hard pressed to finish this. One and done.

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Minhas Craft Brewery