Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Minhas Craft Brewery

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Rate It

SCORE
Poor
Notes: None
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by heho0732:
Reviewed by heho0732 from Connecticut

1.69/5  rDev -37.2%
I’m not sure what to say. My roommates and I have argued about this one a lot and really all come to the same conclusion. This isn’t an IPA. Pours like an IPA, looks like an IPA but smells like a beligian that went bad and tastes like nothing on the beer market. It’s as if the brewer has too much pride to change his recipe. I can’t imagine anyone liking this
beer... It’s just a really bad lager with too much alcohol... why call it a DIPA??
Mar 21, 2020
More User Ratings:
Reviewed by Guzzler1950 from Oregon

3.04/5  rDev +13%
This is my 1st attempt at submitting a "rating" on this site.
The plethora of "beer snobs" and their command of "beer speak" on this siteis impressive.
Here's my "review" . . .
I agree with the notion that this brew's taste is more Belgian, than IPA . . . Nevertheless, it's "in-your-face" flavor is pretty good
With an ABV of 8.4% and a price point that can't be beat . . . this is the perfect "get buzzed quick" brew
BTW, it pairs well with most sativas ;-)
Saturday at 10:12 PM
Reviewed by LARod

1.82/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5
Let me start out by saying this beer sucks. All of the Boatswain beers taste awful. But given todays current inflation the price point cannot be beat. At $4.99 plus deposit and tax it’s still a great value. This is how I get around that nasty taste. Just add a tsp of fresh lime juice more or less depending on taste. Now you have a Corona on steroids just don’t pore in a clear glass. Lol
Jul 16, 2022
Reviewed by BillAfromSoCal from California

2.82/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75
nice amber color, but the head is massive loose bubbles like root beer or cola that lasts maybe 1 minute. no lacing. overtly malty smell and taste. unremarkable mouthfeel. much more like a badly executed Belgian than any kind of IPA. My wife called it disgusting.
Jun 15, 2022
Reviewed by pianoguy from Washington

3.67/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Overall; This beer reminds me a lot of Pyramid brewing's Outburst IPA. A dominating sweet malt bill. Nothing citrusy about the European type hops. Along with a high ABV. If you like Outburst you will like this beer. Very much a 90's type beer...

12 Oz can. No package date. Poured into a pint glass

Pours a light orange/honey colored body with a white head. Not much retention. A few rings of speck lacing.

Nose is very understated. I'm getting sweet malt with a tiny whiff of German style hops.

Taste is very reminiscent of Pyramid brewing's Outburst IPA. Hops under the radar along with a dominating sweet malt bill

Feel is appropriate for the style.

Overall-see first paragraph
Jun 03, 2022
Rated by sb719 from Colorado

1.44/5  rDev -46.5%
Lol, this would be an acceptable Belgian strong ale... Slap in the face if you expect a double IPA!!!
Apr 21, 2022
Reviewed by JaxonDelgado

4.65/5  rDev +72.9%
An excellent DIPA. Easy to drink. I enjoyed straight out of the can as well as in a glass. Has a strong, hoppy aftertaste that feels good in the back of the throat.
Mar 13, 2022
Reviewed by upo from California

3.58/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75
If you love beer, you will like this one alot. Not the best, but not the worst. I'm not a "dangle my pinky and talk about the flavor notes" type. I just like beer. This one is tasty but strong, and goes down easy. Give it shot. You will not regret it. If you do, put it back on the shelf because then there will be more for me.
Feb 20, 2022

Rated: 2.99 by Adam_Rhoad

Aug 09, 2021
Reviewed by mburkholtz from New Jersey

1.61/5  rDev -40.1%
It literally tastes like how a BandAid smells. You KNOW what I'm talking about here. Rubber and cotton and adhesive.

I jumped on this at TJ's today -- a double IPA for $4.99? Sure, sign me up! The amber color of my first pour was surprising, as was the nose -- rubber and alcohol. But the taste is what put this over the edge -- sweet and malty -- not anything like any double IPAs I've ever tried. Downright nasty, actually. It has an 8.4% ABV, which is great and all -- if you can stomach this abomination...I can't.

Even at this price point, I'm never doing this again.
Jun 28, 2021
Reviewed by aBosslyElephant from Florida

3.53/5  rDev +31.2%
L- Nice warm honey colored body with a nice and tall foamy head. Nice color contrast
S- Notes of Caramel in an otherwise very neutral smelling IPA.
T- Tbh I love this more than I think I should. Unlike most IPA it does have a nice bitterness, but there is a nice caramelized taste that brings a nice sweetness and roast to the beer.
M- Bubbly as hell
O- A great beer considering the price and coming from Trader Joe's. Highly recommend for the uniqueness, I'll buy it again!
Jun 27, 2021
Reviewed by RedStickPhil from New Mexico

2.96/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3
Not vile, but not good. First, the positive- decent color and carbonation, with a perky acceptable head. But... it is hard to get past the paint thinner nose.
At least it tastes like something. That something is caramel or malt or maybe some low-end mixed drink from a plastic novelty bottle. For the price, it is a reasonable offering if only for the robust alcohol level.
May 29, 2021
Rated by Preston from Florida

3.37/5  rDev +25.3%
The best of the Boatswain IPAs. Much better than the American IPA. I have no idea why this is rated lower. Easily worth $1/beer.
May 26, 2021

Rated: 3.25 by cryptichead from Illinois

May 09, 2021

Rated: 3.48 by TomBanahan from Kentucky

May 06, 2021
Reviewed by StonedTrippin from Colorado

2.92/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75
it is especially interesting and telling that this is far from the worst of these trader joes beers i have had, but that i also didnt finish it. again though, a buck a piece its hard not to pull the trigger with the hops of discovering a quality budget brew, but it is not to be with this one. malty and robustly alcoholic, i cant get past how sweet it is, caramelized almost like an american barleywine, and might even work better under that name. there is a candied fruitiness to the hops, but its interrupted by a strong astringency and metallic property that kick up about midway through the taste trajectory, fully disrupting and once its there, it doesnt really go away. i can actually appreciate that this has a whole mess of hops in it, and might even be dry hopped, some sweet orange peel comes to mind here along with more familiar pine resin, but the beer is objectively poorly done, and the bad parts stand out well ahead of the limited good ones. just super cheap tasting and feeling, thin for what it is, overly sweet, and just a mess of a beer. discerning palates will have trouble with this one...
Mar 05, 2021

Rated: 2.97 by runlikeakenyan from Indiana

Feb 21, 2021

Rated: 2.95 by Blogjackets from Ohio

Dec 18, 2020
Reviewed by BNSlums from Washington

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75
Like others, 12oz can from Trader Joe's, dateless. Poured into rose glass.
L: Light brown, caramel color with a tall foamy not retentive white head. Not many bubbles present, they all shot to the top.
S: Caramelly, stale bread, and malty on the nose, a bit burnt, perhaps some nut or banana involved. The smells grows on me as I whiff.
T: Flat, stale holiday bread. More banana and burnt caramel. It tastes like it wants to be much more than it is, flavor uncomplex but not gross.
F: Oily and undeveloped, slips right off the tongue.
Overall, this beer I would not order, as there are more splendid alternatives, but if offered one I would not turn it down. The smell is the one redeeming quality here, otherwise it is a bit of a letdown.
Oct 01, 2020
Reviewed by jimmah120 from Minnesota

3.73/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
12oz can from joe's, no date

Looks and smells great, sweet smelling and malty, herbal hops in the background. Drinking it from the can, it's boozy with dulled hops and the sweet taste of honey long into the finish

Unfairly savaged on here by the snobs. This may be a malt bomb, but it's a damn good one
Aug 25, 2020
Reviewed by RobBeerGuy from Michigan

1.15/5  rDev -57.2%
Bought it at Trader Joes. Thought maybe a bargain. No sir. Stuck with these and I down them only for the 8.5%, nothing like a IPA. Putrid taste that is heavy and just wallows in Your stomach. But 8.5%, so they say. Only 1 left to drink then never again. Boatswain. Taste like the side of a boat
Aug 15, 2020

Rated: 2.77 by rangerred from Tennessee

Aug 12, 2020

Rated: 4.05 by a_silva_016 from Arizona

Aug 02, 2020
Reviewed by BooSTedxFord from Arizona

Found this at Trader Joe’s and thought 5 bucks for a 6 pack of double IPA? Why not? My first drink was my last drink, I’m not the type to pour a beer down the sink but with this one I had to. It does not taste like an IPA whatsoever. No hoppy taste or citrus taste or anything. Taste like a 20 dollar 6 pack of Beligian beer. So if you like Belgians you’ll like this but don’t expect an IPA flavor
Jun 15, 2020
Reviewed by irs from New Jersey

3.38/5  rDev +25.7%
$5 for 6. 8.4% ABV. You can't be expecting much. And you won't be disappointed, as long as you're not expecting much. Its an acceptable way to get buzzed. Nothing more, but nothing less.
But no, bears absolutely no resemblance to any Double IPA I know.
May 30, 2020

Rated: 3.58 by TheBeerMaster1 from New York

Apr 29, 2020
Reviewed by mwolfe38

2.7/5  rDev +0.4%
As pretty much everyone has pointed out, this is not an IPA or anything even remotely resembling an IPA. If you were looking forward to drinking a nice double IPA with hops, citrus, bright but delcious biterness, etc, you will be very disappointed.

On the flip side, it's not THAT bad of a beer. Just close your eyes and pretend you are drinking an exotic, rare belgian beer that you paid $25 for, as opposed to some cheap TJ beer that sells for like $1 a can. If you are able to reframe your entire existence, including everything you have learned about this world up to this point, you may just fine this beer is enjoyable. Cheers.
Apr 24, 2020
Reviewed by mschenk from Virginia

2.68/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75
Purchased at TJ. Is very inexpensive and I guess you get what you pay for

Pours a clear deep amber. Has a nice sized head with huge bubbles

Does not smell like an IPA

Does not taste like an IPA, more of a Belgian

Feel is average

I guess it is better than Budwiser so for the price okay but I will be staying away from this in the future
Apr 07, 2020

Tastes like ass
Feb 09, 2020
Reviewed by bfrank8 from Illinois

4.28/5  rDev +59.1%
Reminds me of Flying Dog Raging Bitch. Belgium malty, sweet, high abv IPA! I really like this style. It of course is not quite as good as Raging B, but it's close and half the price...
Feb 08, 2020
Reviewed by Abraxos77 from California

3.59/5  rDev +33.5%
Ok,wasn't expecting much from my prior experiences with Minhas Brewery. Was pleasantly surprised,actually,as the Twin Screw really is a compliment to the brewery...The ABV of 8.4 made me think what I was getting was more like Malt Liquor and in ways I was right,but malt liquor that is far more refined than your average 40. I really like it and I won't apologize...it has some weirdness to it (not a bad thing) hops that seem distant and malt that seems slightly over-the-top but for 4.99..HEY! TJ's does it again...I will definitely keep it on my shopping list.3 of these and it's a party.LOL.
Jan 15, 2020
Reviewed by richalaskan from California

4.28/5  rDev +59.1%
whoever compared this to an imperial stout was correct in that some imperial stouts are balanced and not deeply colored. I could not call it a double ipa since it seems to have no relation to the current rage for dominant floral hops or unpleasant bitterness, which I would not call beer. this a very well-balanced ale with a wide range of hop and malt nose and tongue notes that evolve as the beer warms and releases various esters, phenolics, etc that can only come from an ale. drink this beer starting from ice-cold and make it last to room temp for a multidimensional experience. leave a very small amount in the glass and continue to sniff. those who rate it low must be unfamiliar with anything beyond overwhelming modern hop bombs. if you want mango, grapefruit, pine resin, citrus, etc, go elsewhere to the many "craft" ipas or fruit juices. I buy this frequently at Trader Joe's-the price is incredible compared to many of the beers available-and it is a great adjunct to my normal diet of expensive "crankcase oil" malty ales.
Jan 14, 2020

Rated: 2.75 by TripelMark from North Carolina

Nov 11, 2019
Reviewed by ToddAxeBeer from Minnesota

3.34/5  rDev +24.2%
I bought three of these at TJ's. The cash register person at TJ's said her boyfriend did not like this beer. I assumed I was not going to like it because I drink a lot of big name, little name, and everything in between IPA. I won't serve it to my IPA friends but will let them try it. It actually reminded my of Surly Furious (with a hint of Fat Tire). I had two of these and was done drinking beer for the night (weeknight). I think I will buy a few more and see if it is consistent with the first few I bought. $.84 for a DIPA? I have spent a lot more for a lot less.
Sep 27, 2019