Staropramen Lager | Pivovary Staropramen

Czech Republic
pivovary-staropramen.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

I'm backed up on entering my bottle caps into Beeradvocate so I do not remember the specifics on why I put Staropramen in my 1/10. I do recall generally disliking it and finding essentially no redeeming factors.

1.25/5  rDev -62.8%

1.48/5  rDev -56%

More euro trash beer. Staropramen is a light cold colour. Pours with a nice head, but the foam quickly recedes to film. Not much lace to speak of. Just a few whiffs sporatically placed around the glass. Makes the glass look broken, actually. Wet cardboard smell. Reminds me when I once helped a friend move in the rain. Bit skunky as well. Green bottle/lightstruck, or purpusely done? You decide. It's not an overwhelming skunk, so I'm leaning towards the latter. Starts out bland, like soggy cereal. Not much of anything expected in a beer, like hops, malt, or even adjuncts. Aftertaste is a bit skunky sour. I'm not sure what it is, but I hate the mouthfeel. It's dry, oily and leaves an unpleasant sensation on the side of the tongues. Not something I would drink again. I could state that if offered for free, I might take it. But that only means it wasn't truly horrible. I'd take Bud Light if offered for free, I might even take Colt 45 if offered for free. Don't get this beer.

1.75/5  rDev -47.9%

12oz bottle poured into a slender lager glass.

A: Brassy-colored and brilliantly clear. Rocky white head does not budge. Thick and clumpy lacing. It looks great in the glass.

S: Pungent herbal and grassy hops. Skunky. Toasty grain and some bready malt sweetness.

T: Sharp, herbal hop bitterness. Grassy and earthy. Steely. Skunked.Toasty grain rides up to balance. Bready malt sweetness. The lightstruck skunky quality is quite pervasive and hard to ignore, overtaking the herbal hops on the finish too.

M: Light bodied. Firm and round malt character and spritzy carbonation.

O: This could be a halfway decent beer, but I'll never know since it's lightstruck as hell.

1.94/5  rDev -42.3%

Crystal clear dark straw hue topped by a fluffy porcelin - white head. Skunky mercaptans, sulfur, and rough grain huskiness in aroma. The sharp, astringent graininess coupled w/ the rough bitterness make this quite rough for a pilsner. Sulfur persists in the flavor and is a bit offputting... All around this beer almost abrasive on the palette. The body is weak and watery, while the malt backbone is seriously lacking. Finishes w/ an unpleasant tannic astringent note. I most likely got a poorly handled bottle, but I just don't see myself ever having this again.

1.98/5  rDev -41.1%

Another euro lager in appearance. Crystal clear gold color, almost no head, just a few wisps of bubbles on the top of the beer. Smells of grassy malts, more skunky than most EL's, but other than that, mostly the same experience as any beer from that style, only worse. I will never buy this again, there are too many better beers out there.

Way overly carbonated, very little malt character, almost acerbic hops.

2.04/5  rDev -39.3%

2.16/5  rDev -35.7%

Good Czech Pilsners are difficult to produce and even more difficult to come by. Staropramen isn't one of them.

A standard pour yields a standard Pilsner body: light amber body, slightly thin, gassy head. A few scattered bubbles slowly make their way to the top.

The nose is fine, though there is a tinniness in it that can't be ignored.

The tinniness ruins the beer's taste. There are some good things going on here: The malt aroma is nice, and the bittering hops would balance it well if the tinny taste, probably yeast-produced, weren't getting in the way. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the aftertaste, in which the subtle, crisp hoppy flavors come through. Darn.

Czech Pilsners are among my favorite styles of beer. I wish that more of ones that are available in my area did justice to the style.

2.16/5  rDev -35.7%

Staropramen Lager pours a light orange with a fluffy white head from a green eleven point two ounce bottle. Aroma is on the skunky side, which I suspect is intentional rather than being light damage. Skunky hops and medicinal herb flavors predominate. Not my cup of tea, or beer as the case may be. Makes you wonder how it tastes fresh from the brewery (like I said though, I think the skunk may be an intentional part of the beer profile), but as sampled I cannot recommend trying this beer.

2.2/5  rDev -34.5%

2.24/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Unimpressed with this one. Sigh...

2.25/5  rDev -33%