Staropramen Lager | Pivovary Staropramen

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Reviews: 338 | Ratings: 839
3.61/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This was tasted from a bottle in a Pilsner Glass.

As the beer is poured from the bottle, a good golden color emerges. There is a sizeable frothy head that holds quite well. The beer smells of bitterness from hops and perhaps a slight skunk smell. This beer has a good level of hoppy bitterness but there are better pilsners out there. The beer has a strong body with good carbonation. This is quite drinkable but as said before if you want a pilsner, there are better pilsners out there.

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

Dark gold in colour with lots of carbonation. Grassy hop aroma with a touch of grainy malt. Upon drinking, more honey flavored malt flavors with a decent enough contribution of herbal and grassy hop notes. Medium bitterness. A basic Czech pils, which is still a pretty drinkable thing in my book.

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%

Since my last pint of this beer on-tap I have been literally scared to ever buy it again. After checking the beer is genuinely made in Prague, I bought it again at the Tesco supermarket, expecting to resume my confidence in this supposedly nice Pilsner. BB date: 24/08/06

A: it pours a dark golden, nearly pale amber, hue, with a thick, paper-white foamy head which settles to a thin layer of foam to sustain throughout the drink; moderately-carbonated body.
S: slightly grassy, lemony, and faintly apple-peel-ish hops upfront, on a bed of mild grainy note and buttery+molasses aroma~~ overall softly aromatic and slightly spicy hoppy, typical Saaz aroma, albeit slightly restrained compared to many other Czech products.
T&M: very light-bodied and refreshing flow of lager malts (with restrained sweetness) hit the palate upfront; hop bitterness follows immediately, along with a melting, grainy bitter-sweetness left on the sides of the tongue. Not much else aftertaste though, while the advantage is leaving behind a clean finish and mouthfeel, making this beer a very light-weight and thirst-quenching beer.
D: much better than my last experience of this beer on tap in St. Albans, nr. London, where I encountered the worst Staropramen I'd ever experienced. (Perhaps because that one was brewed under license and this one authentic?) Yet for my taste this beer is not so pronounced as many Pils or Pilsners I tried on tap during my trip in the Czech Republic; it's rather like a more vaguely-defined/generic Euro Pale Lager, as the characters are not as focused as a Pils should be. Having said that, nothing's wrong with it being a easy-drinking lager.

3.41/5  rDev +1.5%

Clear gold colored with a very nice white head that subsides to just a ring and some decent lacing after a couple of minutes.

The aroma is grainy, grassy, slightly spicy.

The taste is also grainy malt with a definite hops bite, definitely metallic at the finish.

Light body, malty, clean and refreshing.

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Best by Jan 2006 Imported by Becks N. America

A bright gold color with a wispy white head.
With a green bottle. I feared skunk on opening but it disappeared.

The taste was grainy with some malty sweetness.
Not bad really, I'd prefer it to domestic macrobeers.

The finish was very clean.

These guys should retranslate the back label.
(Bottle is upgraded from the picture shown).

They refer to "RedempTAtion value.
(Unless that indicates a cross between redemption and temptation?)

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a crystal clear gold, so clear that you could watch TV (or whatever) through your glass of beer. Basically exactly how you expect a pils to look. Grainy, grassy aroma. Full and clean malt/grain flavor... I hate to say it, but the grainy character is somewhat similar to PBR. Not that this is cheap or cruddy at all, because it's actually a tasty and extremely drinkable pilsner. Pretty good beer.

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Tasted on 20th August 2005, a 500ml bottle best by 26.05.06.

Appearence: poured as a pils would; crystal clear with a decent white head. Head lingered quite well.

Smell was a bit malty, maybe some fresh grass.
Tasted fairly sharp, not sweet and not complex. Mouthfeel was good.
All-in-all, a reasonable brew and I preferred it to Budvar. Not a beer style I would drink regularly

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second sampling: Same as first with emphasis on the grainy-bie-ey-ness in the throat nearing the finish.

An average beer per style and region. Colors and textures appear as expected: Clear, straw, high co2, fizzy head, little lacing. The aromas could be better: Light barley, corn, cereal grains, and light struck against Saaz hops. Flavors fare better than aromas: Lightly malty. Has flavors and textures of light cereal grains. Hopped for balance only. Lightly grapefruity. Has a bitter bite in the back of the throat in the finish and aftertaste. Light body-no creaminess and a bit harsh. Crisp and moderately dry finish.

3.56/5  rDev +6%

Pours a clear golden, big fluffy white head, no lacing that I can see. Smells malty, a little skunky, some hops are hidden, kind of honeyish. Taste is malty, sweet, some hop presence is detectable in the finish. Clean mouthfeel, medium carbonation and very smooth, good beer for a hot day, and the price is right.

Bottle: Poured a golden color pils with a bubbly extra white head with average retention. Aroma of fresh crisp hops with floral malt. Taste is quite refreshing with again the crisp hops and floral malt making a good impression. Carbonation is great for the style and no skunkyness is a bonus for those imported bottles.

3.54/5  rDev +5.4%

Clear light gold witha a fine bright white head that settles quickly. Persistent stream of rather too-large carbonation.

Nice grassy Saazy nose with a crisp sweet maltiness beneath. Has a pleasant freshly-milled malt gristiness to it that I find very pleasing.

Good soft maltiness on the palate with well-integrated Saaz notes of spice and fresh mown grass. This example lacks the etheral fluffy character that used to be a very endearing quality of this beer. Too bad.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and lacks the malty roundness of top examples of this style. Easily drinkable, but not particularly interesting or complex. A fine match with an excellent Italian sandwich outside on a sunny, breezy spring day, however. Best before January 16, 2006 on this bottle.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Very clear golden yellow colour topped by bright white rocky head. Decent head retention and lacing on the glass. Spicy and floral noble hop aroma with some graininess and DMS. Balance is on the sweet side, but with a definite soft bitterness. Malt and hop flavours are both present at the mid-point. The finish is medium length with plenty of hop flavour and just a bit of bitterness. Mouthfeel is a little slick, high carbonation, medium/light body. Overall, I enjoyed this one.

500 mL green bottle, best before date printed on the rear label.

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%

The colour is yellow; the foam is at first big, bit it sinks down to a thin white lid quite fast.

The smell is rather strong with some bread-like malt and lots of sweet hops (Saaz?). Fresh - just like you would expect from a Czech Pilsner.

The carbonation is quite strong, a good thing.

The taste got notes of white bread from the malt and a balanced dry hoppy note. The bitterness grows into a fine, very pleasing aftertaste.

I found this Pilsner OK, it does it job but not much more. Can I have some more bitter hops, please?

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

the 7th tasting in the 10 LCBO lackluster Slavic lagers. This one is the best of the lot... fairly well charactered as a medium bodied bohemian lager in the pilsner style. Poured a pleasant rich gold, nice fluffy white cap that maintains, good lace, medium carbonation. Nice sweet biscuit malt and floral saaz hop notes in the Aroma. Medium bodied...slick mouthfeel, good malt delivery in balance with herbal hops...finish is clean with tart drying from more hop pronouncement. A nice Bohemian lager.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

A bold golden in colour, no head, just a firm white lace leaving a residue of head, actually kind of seem of a foam cemetary.

Smell hopish and fruity, a tiny bit of skunkyness just a shy bit though.

Taste hoppish, fruity with a lace of malt, a caramel flavour comes finish it
But, this beer gives me heartburns when I drink it, usually this happens with beers in high hops content.

very drinkable, I would like to have that beer in the summer not in January when its -50 outside.

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%

Smooth and creamy. Drinkable, which is above average for pils I've had. Beats Urquel. Clean, decent malts. Slight citrus in saaz hops. Good carbonation in finish. Balanced but on sweetish side.Another average LCBO lager import, but fresh. Thanks Paul.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Served in a pint glass at Henry Street Ale House for $5.
Appearance – Light yellow in color with a short lived, fluffy white head.
Had light citrusy hops on the nose.
The light citrus hops came back in the flavor, but there was a smooth and creamy malt backbone.

Mouthfeel – Just the right amount of carbonation. This was light-bodied, with a creamy and fluffy mouthfeel.

Very drinkable. After reading the other reviews, I'll keep away from the scary green bottle, though.

1.98/5  rDev -41.1%

Another euro lager in appearance. Crystal clear gold color, almost no head, just a few wisps of bubbles on the top of the beer. Smells of grassy malts, more skunky than most EL's, but other than that, mostly the same experience as any beer from that style, only worse. I will never buy this again, there are too many better beers out there.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Imported green bottle in Utah = increased skunk potential.
Pale-golden straw. Very clear. Big, fluffy, white head.
Smells of honey malt and light biscuit, accented with a perfumey, floral hop aroma. Saaz? A touch of the skunk, but not bad. Wheww.
Sweet honey up front, turning to lightly toasted malt. Wave of floral, sea air, spicy hops crests. Adequately bitter into the finish. Refreshing, spritzy carbonation. Light to medium body. A little bit more of a hop bite would do this brew some good.

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

A friend originally from Prague introduced me to this brew several years ago.

At first pour into my favorite pub glass, it had a nice 2" head. Tiny bubbles atop a rich looking yellow sea.

After a third of the glass was gone, there was a kind of lace design on the sides of my glass in place of the head now replaced with a 1/8" head and a sort of halo.

It has a wheaty sort of peanut smell to me and tastes a little nutty too. I like the hop flavor, but I'm not quite sure how to describe it other than saying that it's not bitter and leaves a slick feeling on my teeth. Has a slight saltiness. The only fruit type flavor I taste is something like apples or applesauce.

Mouthfeel is smooth and velvet like, and I would say carbonation is just right. Crisp and refreshing, I'm about to pour my third one and I'm still looking forward to it.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Sparkingly clear golden, forming a small white head with good retention and sparse lacing. Swirling produces a head that looks like cooking pancakes. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is kinda soapy, like a perfumy shower soap with floral accents, lots of hay, mild dustiness. Mouthfeel is very soft with a medium light body. Bitterness is rather mild, but stronger than the Budvar with herbacous notes in the aftertaste. Alcohol is barely there, but adds a touch of peppery flourish in the finish.

Rather non-descript Eurolager...nothing standout here. Easy to drink, but not something I would seek out.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a brilliant light golden with a billowy white head that leaves a trail of lace on the glass.

A light sweetness characterizes the nose and is balanced by a sharp hoppiness.

There is a grain and honey flavor in the taste that is quickly countered by the bitter hops.

Thin and crisp and tad too bitter in the mouth. I love hops but the hop finish is way too pronounced to be pleasurable. A bit more sweetness to balance would be nice.

Overall a decent beer. However, the hop bite is just too much for my liking.

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours into a glass quite nicely; fine golden color, nice head.

The head doen't hang around very long but it does not instantly disappear either.

Has a malty smell with a faint hint of skunk.

The taste is nice. Malt followed by hop.
The beer is well carbonated and enhances the bite of the hop.

It laces the top of the glass but not all the way down. This may be because I'm in a humid location and the lace is washed down by condensation. (I guess I should drink faster)

It is a nice beer to drink. I've had this beer prior to right now as I review and I recall it being better when I wasn't disecting it. I also drank it in Prague where it was "the other beer". I've had this beer here in the US and it is very nice. I'm on my third sixer in the last three months, and I think that I'm enjoying this one the least. Perhaps there is some variability or it got warm in transit (I live in hot-as-balls Florida).

I'd rate this beer better but I'm trying to rate the beer in my hand and not the beers I've had in the past.

Overall a nice beer and a good representitive of its class.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a nice deeper golden with a thinner then expected head even with a rough pour very clean no lacing at all,aroma was a little skunky (green bottle)with a hint of sweet grain.Noticed a little smokiness in flavor off the bat with a touch of toasted grain and iron not much hop presence though for a Czech lager/pilsner just light zip in the finish.Taste is on the drier side and goes down well in the summer here,I would drink this over any domestic or Canadian macro when I want a easy drinking lager but those green bottles scare me.

1.48/5  rDev -56%

More euro trash beer. Staropramen is a light cold colour. Pours with a nice head, but the foam quickly recedes to film. Not much lace to speak of. Just a few whiffs sporatically placed around the glass. Makes the glass look broken, actually. Wet cardboard smell. Reminds me when I once helped a friend move in the rain. Bit skunky as well. Green bottle/lightstruck, or purpusely done? You decide. It's not an overwhelming skunk, so I'm leaning towards the latter. Starts out bland, like soggy cereal. Not much of anything expected in a beer, like hops, malt, or even adjuncts. Aftertaste is a bit skunky sour. I'm not sure what it is, but I hate the mouthfeel. It's dry, oily and leaves an unpleasant sensation on the side of the tongues. Not something I would drink again. I could state that if offered for free, I might take it. But that only means it wasn't truly horrible. I'd take Bud Light if offered for free, I might even take Colt 45 if offered for free. Don't get this beer.

Staropramen Lager from Pivovary Staropramen