Staropramen Lager | Pivovary Staropramen

pivovary-staropramen.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

3.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

500ml Can

Appearance – Clear golden yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is a pretty decent amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, corn, hops, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains mixed with light hops and some cooked corn. The beer has more of a malty profile than I'm used to encountering in these euro-beers. It finishes with a bready/malty aftertaste with some light hop bitterness.

Overall – One of the better euro-beers available in my area. It's very drinkable and has a nice malty and mildly hoppy taste. I'd drink it again.

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Melted butter with eggshell frothing at its top. Its complexion is magnificently clear and causes not even a slight blur to my finger on the other side. The surface is dotted with plenty of well profiled bubbles. It appears tenacious enough that the pasty rings which it's etched around the glass should last. As far as pilsners go I don't suppose I could ask for much more.

Asking a little more from the aroma, however, should be considered rather reasonable. I don't know how macro breweries ever think they can entice anyone to drink their products when they smell like this (granted, I suppose most of their consumers drink straight from the can or bottle). Still, I can't find any way of imagining that this smell of flavourless malt could possibly be considered enticing. Neutral - sure, maybe; enticing - definitely not.

One consistent, invariable trend I've noticed in regard to my tastes in beer is as follows: the beers that taste good, I like; those that do not, I tend not to. This doesn't really taste bad enough for me to dislike it but it doesn't have enough flavour for me to find anything appealing about it. Therefore, following my own logic, this is a beer I neither like nor dislike.

Which seems a fair way of summing it up. For you see, this doesn't have so much of the stale, cloying, off-putting chemical adjunct taste of most mass produced (especially exported) beers. That said, it has none of the lightly toasted breads, sweet malts, and zestfully spicy hops that a true Czech Pilsner should have. Normally I would punish the beer on account of the latter but I've had so many beers guilty of the former that I'll call it even.

From my very limited brewing experience I would say that two of the most difficult styles to reproduce effectively are British milds and German/Czech Pilsners. These are very delicate styles that require quality ingredients. They hide little room for error and really demand experience and craftsmanship to capture their subtlety and balance. It's no easy feet to brew (let alone export) a tasty, quenching, balanced pilsner - not by a long shot.

My experience having lagers in Poland, Weißbier in Germany, and fresh hop Harvest ales in California has also taught me that beers can be unfathomably better when served as fresh and as close to the source as possible. By my own admission, I've yet to have a *real* Czech Pilsner at its best. I'll have to stop wasting money on these crappy cans and start saving up!

4.14/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had this before, but re-reviewing as the unfiltered, draft version served in Prague.

3.61/5  rDev +7.8%

11.2 oz. green bottle,

A: Pours a dark gold with a small white head. Solid retention, fairly good lace.

S: Pils malt and Saaz hops, a classic smell, but not vibrant.

T: Bready malt next to sulfur mine. Okay its not that bad, but the sulfur is clearly noticable, but it's fun here as it can be in pilsners. Dry floral hops, biting on the finish.

M: Crisp, smooth, light-bodied. Biting carbonation.

O: A pretty good Czech pilsner and I'm sure it's better in Prague. Stop with the green bottles please, it stopped me from buying this for years until I finally found a single.

I have a bottle less than 5 weeks old from the back of the bottom shelf. It’s fresh and not skunky. L: Brilliant deep polished gold with a 1” pure white foam collar that slowly dissipates and leaves light lace. S: Clean, rich complex Pilsener malt aromas. No estery, apple or movie popcorn aromas T: Crisp and clean with complex malt flavors with a little tanginess. Soft, rounded bitterness that is assertive but is in balance with the malt. F: Light, above average carbonation. O: A good representative of the style.

3.26/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a golden lager colour with a white head that cleared off very swiftly.

Slight hops and fruit aroma, but nothing to great.

Sharp and freash taste, a typical Czech lager.

No heavy mouthfeel, just a soft lager aftertaste which soon goes away.

Nothing wrong with this beer, but it is a long way from being interesting lager in my opinion.

3.47/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

OK, I get it, this looks weak, yellow and watery, sure, it kinda is. The skunky aroma hits what some look for in a Euro lager, so this is good.

Taste has some moderate noble hops, massive carbonation levels, metallic citrus notes of lemon.

Its a hot weather only beer for me, but does that pretty well when I want a no frills skunk lager.

3.46/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Deep, bright gold/amber; very clear and quite bubbly. Two-inch white head rears-up then dissipates quickly to skim that holds. Very little lacing.

S: Sweet rich malt and slight hop bitterness.

T: Bready sweet malt with classic hop bitterness of the style. Dry, earthy aftertaste.

M: Medium body. Smooth, coats the mouth.

D: Very easy to drink. A little fullness from carbonation, but good enough taste, I'd deal with it.

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

A: It pours golden, with a large off-white, creamy head that leaves some nice lacings.

S: A typical Czech Pilsener - lots of malt, floral hops and citric notes.

T: A great mix of both bitter and floral hops, there is also nice malt and some citric notes.

M: Somewhat sweetness from the malt, but in the aftertaste the bitterness dominates. It's creamy, fullbodied and powerfull.

D: A very nice Czech Pilsener - this is a must!

2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Poured a clear, medium orange with a ½ finger creamy, eggshell white colored head that settled to a thin, whispy, and sudsy covering leaving a visible rim lacing behind. Visible carbonation was very soft.

S: faint, some fresh grains and oranges. You really have to dig deep here to detect anything.

T: musky oranges for flavor. there was some green plant stalk hints as well. The initial sip was a turn off but the flavor faired better after that. A touch of metallic nature was evident while the finish found some sharp, sour citric tones to it.

M: light, a little rough. Some sour oranges and a dry lacing on the tongue with a green plant stalk lingering taste.

D: Not impressed overall here, at times was a turnoff and at others though it had some good crispness to it but still I struggled to find a reason to finish this and have to give this a pass and don't bother.

2.76/5  rDev -17.6%

Seems to be similar to a Pilsner Urquell, also in a green bottle. This is from a large brewer and is better than the majors over here, the ABV is 5.2%.

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

Gold amber body, with a minimal fimly head. No head retention or lacing. Quite a thin body to it. Good amount of carbonation.

Some Saaz on the nose, but not as piquantly hoppy as I'd expect from a good Czech pilsener. A fair amount of honey-like sweetness dulls the fragrance of the hops. It's not a bad smelling beer, but a little tame for a true pils.

The balance on the palate is as I would expect from the nose. There's a strong honey-like malt sweetness which permeates throughout, and only a hint of the zingy, zesty hops. Bitterness is lower than expected. Mouthfeel is crispt but a little flat.

However, this one drinks pretty smoothly, and there's few actual flaws in the flavour. It does end up tasting rather dull though...

3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Since my last pint of this beer on-tap I have been literally scared to ever buy it again. After checking the beer is genuinely made in Prague, I bought it again at the Tesco supermarket, expecting to resume my confidence in this supposedly nice Pilsner. BB date: 24/08/06

A: it pours a dark golden, nearly pale amber, hue, with a thick, paper-white foamy head which settles to a thin layer of foam to sustain throughout the drink; moderately-carbonated body.
S: slightly grassy, lemony, and faintly apple-peel-ish hops upfront, on a bed of mild grainy note and buttery+molasses aroma~~ overall softly aromatic and slightly spicy hoppy, typical Saaz aroma, albeit slightly restrained compared to many other Czech products.
T&M: very light-bodied and refreshing flow of lager malts (with restrained sweetness) hit the palate upfront; hop bitterness follows immediately, along with a melting, grainy bitter-sweetness left on the sides of the tongue. Not much else aftertaste though, while the advantage is leaving behind a clean finish and mouthfeel, making this beer a very light-weight and thirst-quenching beer.
D: much better than my last experience of this beer on tap in St. Albans, nr. London, where I encountered the worst Staropramen I'd ever experienced. (Perhaps because that one was brewed under license and this one authentic?) Yet for my taste this beer is not so pronounced as many Pils or Pilsners I tried on tap during my trip in the Czech Republic; it's rather like a more vaguely-defined/generic Euro Pale Lager, as the characters are not as focused as a Pils should be. Having said that, nothing's wrong with it being a easy-drinking lager.

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

3.04/5  rDev -9.3%

On draft, in a half-liter mug. bright yellow in color, foamy head. very mild malt flavor, but pleasant. Average pale lager - it hits the style as intended

Staropramen Lager from Pivovary Staropramen