Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sweet Stout | Syracuse Suds Factory

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-15-2003

Reviews by stegmakk:
3.01/5  rDev 0%

Appearance was good. Looked like motor oil with a dirty tan head on top.
Aroma was a bit mild. Some roasted malt mixed with some sweetness.
Taste. Well, it was great in theory, but not implemented so well. I could clearly taste the sweet side, followed by the roasted chocolatey side. It was almost like a 5th grade dance where the boys are on one side and the girls on the other. The taste just didnt seem to mix/blend well. The makings of a good tasting beer were there, it just seemed off in the follow through.
Mouthfeel was a little watery for the way I want a stout.
Drinkability, while not bad tasting, the flavors seemed to fight in my mouth. I dont see myself drinking many of this, although the watery texture did make it less heavy.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a roasted black and chocolate malt scent. That is slightly sweet with a bit of a fruity aroma. The taste is decent. It has a fruity, chocolate and roasted malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry. The mouthfeel is average. It is a meium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent drinker. It has good aroma as well as decent decent flavor. I wish it had more body. I like my stouts to be thick with some earthiness. This was thin and fruity.

Sweet Stout from Syracuse Suds Factory