Patriot Pale Ale | RJ Rockers Brewing Company

Patriot Pale AlePatriot Pale Ale

RJ Rockers Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States
rjrockers.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Our American pale ale is aggressively hopped with Challenger and Cascade and has a sweet caramel finish. The flavor that launched RJ Rockers – and brewer Mark Johnsen’s personal fave.

Added by brentk56 on 03-26-2005

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%

4.64/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +34.5%

I've had this beer on tap before, but I am reviewing the beer in front of me, which I just poured from a bottle.

Appearance: 4.0, Good. The color was pale golden and true to style, and the beer was perfectly clear. It would have rated higher except that the carbonation was a bit low -- the head should have been more pronounced.

Smell: 5.0, Exceptional. The hop aroma was pronounced and grassy, as it should be. There were high citrus notes present and a light malt background. Just right.

Taste: 4.5, good/exceptional. Hop predominance over malt, lingering after drinking, but the malt was present and clean. No esters or diacetyl noticeable. Could have had a bit more malt, so not a 5.0.

Mouthfeel: 4.0, Good. smooth finish, medium bodied, but lacking slightly in carbonation levels.

Drinkability: 5.0, Exceptional. Very easy to have more than one of these, i can tell you.

All in all, a very well done product. Impressive. I would recommend this as a great example of a classic American Pale Ale. Congratulations to RJ Rockers.

anexetastos
BJCP Certified Beer Judge

4.45/5  rDev +29%

Phenomenal.
much less girth than the sierra nevada pale ale, but damned near on the same path.

that should say it all.

same recipe, it seems.

really, the only difference between the two beers is that the rj rock version is a bit thinner in viscosity.

wonderful nose, same appearance, great taste (minus the fullness) rounding mouthfeel, and matching the drinkability of sierra nevada pale ale.

boom. the east side can now mimic the west side in beer. it's high time the east side grows some hops and bolsters their own reputation for beer production.

seriously , try this beer. for your OWN GOOD. selfish bast---.

4.3/5  rDev +24.6%

Doesn't get much better than last night, for a beer enthusiast. I was in Spartanburg, SC for a business meeting. The owners of the company that I do business with just bought into local brewer R.J. Rockers and are in the process of "taking it to the next level". Anyway, we held our business meeting at the brewery. We ordered in some kick-ass BBQ from "Pig Out" (off I-26 on the way to Asheville...highly worth seeking out) and liberally sampled from the five brews on tap and one bottled.

My favorite (and also the favorite of brewmeister Mark Johnsen) was the Patriot Pale Ale. Medium-gold clear with a decent head that lays down rather quickly, this pale ale verges into IPA territory with its generous Challenger and Cascade hops. Bitter hops balances nicely with sweet caramel maltiness. Very easy to drink. No disagreeable flavors at all and a nice complexity of tastes. They are justifiably proud of this brew.

4.3/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance: Dark mango/orange with frothy head and mild lacing.

Smell: Hops, hint of grapefruit.

Taste: Hops, with a nice carbonation. Finishes with mild grapefruit/wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied pale. Everything I look for in this style. Nice mouthfeel and refreshing on palate

Drinkability: Very drinkable and enjoyable. A great session beer. The Flagship of RJ Rockers - and one of their greats. Like I said before - this beer has everything I look for in an American Pale. I highly recommend this beer as an exemplary specimen of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

Presentation: Poured into my Guinness pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A: An amberish color, when poured the head took uip over half the glass and kept growing, maybe I poured to fast.

S: A bready smell, grains, and just a hint of citrus.

T&M: Taste great with a malty goodness. Feels a bit fizzy in the mouth. I could drink this all day.

4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

A - golden yellow, slight lacing, minimal retention

S - sweet with some citrus

T&M - similar to the aroma, sweet honey like flavor up front with a bitter citrus hop note. Medium feel with a DRY finish.

D - very much so..

Overall a very sessionable APA, nothing really stands out, but it is smooth and well balanced. No extreme hops so the heads might be disapointed, but worth checking out if you want an easy drinking one..

4.07/5  rDev +18%

This my second favorite rockers beer after the stout, and I keep this stuff in my fridge at all times. I'm a little biased since it's my local brewery and love the stuff, but oh well here it goes....

pours a medium copper color with a slighly hazy but still bright and inviting. Small white cap that dissipates quickly. Smell is citrus and a little grain. Sweet malt is also in the nose. Taste is very full with citrus and floral sweetness followed with a smooth citrus bittnerness that hangs on the toungue. Medium carbonation, very refreshing, and could drink all day long!

4.07/5  rDev +18%

Pours a crisp and clear golden color with a little head and some minor lacing.
The smell is all hops, almost erring on the side of an ipa in the nose, but very nice and robust. Definite strong pine and mint notes.
The taste is hop forward as well, very minty and bitter, with an excellent hop profile. The malt really did not balance out the hops in the flavor quite as much as I would have liked.
The mouthfeel is nice, clean and crisp again. Pretty bitter, but thats my bag, so I enjoyed.
I could drink this all night, and look forward to doing so in the near future.

4.03/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

06/27/13 On tap at Rattle N Hum, NYC. Best feature here is the lacing which I hear is an indicator of a well made brew. For what it's worth this axiom holds true here. The body/mouth feel is excellent. The bitter notes are there, but not too rambunctious, so I think we'll get along just fine. I'm finding these Rocker guys are full of pleasant surprises.

Got this in a Box of Rocks sampler.

A - Pours amber with a solid white clingy foam. Some carbonation and there is nice lacing. This looks like a really nice beer.

S - Aroma of cascade hops. Has a fresh wheat smell also.

T - A bit of caramel flavor, but mostly a fresh tasting beer that has a refined hoppy finish.

M - Crisp, medium bodied, and a raspy hop finish.

O - Pretty impressive. A good APA that is just solid in every aspect.

Patriot Pale Ale from RJ Rockers Brewing Company