Patriot Pale Ale | RJ Rockers Brewing Company

Patriot Pale AlePatriot Pale Ale

RJ Rockers Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States
rjrockers.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Our American pale ale is aggressively hopped with Challenger and Cascade and has a sweet caramel finish. The flavor that launched RJ Rockers – and brewer Mark Johnsen’s personal fave.

Added by brentk56 on 03-26-2005

1.46/5  rDev -57.7%

Don't care for the mouthfeel....charged up....spritzy...lacks malt backing but not real bitter either...just not a lot of flavor...if anything a bit of green apples on the nose and a slight sourish twang on the taste...actually more than a slight twang...definitely pronounced...but still does not strike me as old....just a poorly made beer...the hops do emerge a little but they don't add much but some bitterness..

Not good....not impressed at all. Not sure if this bottle is indicative of the beer but it is what I have...and this bottle rates this low...seriously this would have to be 4 years old for most beers to taste this bad and I know it is not...only code reads 3122....a little internet research seems to suggest this was brewed in January but wtf knows with this backward ass codes....

2.2/5  rDev -36.2%

Another beer from the February BOTM subscription. Poured, again, into the Duvel tulip.

Crystal clear dirty straw color. The body is capped by a two-finger head with a down-the-middle pour. Lacing is prominent and slathers the sides of my glass in cobwebs.

The nose is pretty unimpressive. I pick up what crystal malt smells like while it mashes. There is a somewhat raw character to the aroma that I am not really a fan of. I don't get much in the way of hops--either in aroma or bitterness. The taste is similarly average. Caramel hints atop coarse malted grains. There is something unfinished and off-putting about how it tastes. I can't put my finger on it, as it isn't an off taste, just something that doesn't jive with me.

The feel and drinkability are both impeded by the taste of the mashing malts. Its feels unfinished and rough, and as a result, it is difficult to drink. I am not sure that I will be returning to this one very soon. I think the rest of these might be cooking beers.

2.24/5  rDev -35.1%

A little bitter, trying to adjust to the taste

2.6/5  rDev -24.6%

the review below is done through voice recognition on my phone - i like how 2 and a half becomes tuna half... fun to leave for posterity... and it's fun to translate later... especially since I'll leave the reviews in for months and forget exactly what I said... enjoy the mayhem...

R Jay Rocker pale ale

Color Amber transparence three

Taste watery slightly better below-average2.5

mouth feel terrible to

smell Malathi very average average my son says it smells like a gorilla

Overall unimpressive tuna half

2.6/5  rDev -24.6%

Patriot Pale

A- Sunset amber with a diminishing, white head.

S- Mild hops, pale malts, weird, musty fruits.

T- Very odd taste upfront. It's got an earthy base, with what taste like rotting fruit and caramel built on it. Quite hoppy and drying and bitter at the finish.

M- Nice full mouthfeel, whilst remaining light and refreshing. Could use more carbonation.

D- The flavor is a bit foul to me, like whatever's in there's been rotting for a while. Otherwise its ok.

2.68/5  rDev -22.3%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Hefeweissbier glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Acquired as part of an RJ Rockers variety box purchased at Hi-Time Liquor in Costa Mesa, California. Expectations are below average; this brewery seems pretty meh.

Served refrigerator cold. Paired with nachos.

A: Pours a one and a half finger head of white colour, fair cream, decent thickness, and average (~two minute) retention. Colour is a predictable transparent bright copper. No floating yeast particles are visible. Nothing unique or special here.

Sm: Some grassy and floral hops. Clean malted barley. That's it. A simple mild strength aroma.

T: Grassy and lightly floral hops, with bitterness emerging blatantly on the climax. The hops are neither fresh nor stale.Clean malts form the backbone. Hints of citrusy hop notes. Boring, bland, and dull. Very simple and predictable. It's balanced alright. Structurally uninteresting. Not at all complex or subtle in any way. There's nothing unique here. Largely unrefreshing.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with okay thickness. Adequately carbonated. Very meh. Suits the flavours merely generally.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. I won't be having this ever again unless it's the cheapest micro option available at some awful bar. Even fans of the style will be underwhelmed. Leave this one on the shelf where it belongs.

C-

2.73/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured a slightly hazy bright orange with a thin white head.

The smell is lightly hopped with grassy noble hop qualities and a touch of crackery malt.

The flavor has a very dull coppery flavor with light grassy hop flavors and a lingering tinny bitterness.

The mouthfeel is light and dry.

A pretty boring and flawed pale.

2.79/5  rDev -19.1%

12oz bottle into nonic.

Slightly hazy honey color with a one finger off white head which slowly settles to a thin cap. Strong and webbed lacing on the glass.

Somewhat of a light and slightly dull hop aroma, mostly consisting of herbal tea.

Biscuity malts are met by tame hops again. A little bit of citrus and spice, and a little more herbal flavor, but not much is there. Full bodied.

Simply just a bland pale ale. I'm not sure if there was a lack of bittering hops or what, but it just wasn't that aggressive.

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased in a 6-pack because the Peach beer is so respected.

It is very over carbonated, to the extent that attempting to open at cellar temp results in a large foam over. When poured cold the head is very excessive and the beer clearly has too much CO2.

The smell is malt and piney hops, the taste is the malt with the hop, and very little of caramel described by the makers. The fact there is too much CO2 spoils the mouthfeel and the beer overall.

I emailed the brewers to tell them it is very over carbonated, with the lot number, 4350. They emailed to say the beer was about 6 months out from bottling when consumed, and they suspect too much yeast was in the bottles causing carbonation in the bottle while in the warehouse.

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%

Doing this review off memory, wich is quite hard considering its not that memorable of a beverage. I believe the main reason I put reviews up on BA is to help me remember what impression I got from that particular beer at that particular time. My memory has never been that good so this does help me to log my own opinions for my own use, but if my review of any beer I post helps some else in some way then great. But don't let my opinion sway you one way or another about trying a beer. I say if you have a chance to try any beer of any style regardless of what you think of that style give it a shot, you know what they say,don't knock it and so on.
I about forgot what I was posting about, oh yeah, RJ pale ale. No thanks.

Patriot Pale Ale from RJ Rockers Brewing Company