Son Of A Peach

Jun 17, 2022
Added:
Feb 27, 2009
SCORE
Good
Son Of A PeachSon Of A Peach
Notes: An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by Jd333 from South Carolina

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
Poured from a 12 oz. Can that was filled on April 28 (l live in Spartanburg County, so I expect to get fresh RJ Rockers product in the local supermarket). Deep translucent orange with a half finger head that quickly dissipates. Little or no lacing left behind. Smell is very interesting. To me it smells of sugary cotton candy and orange chuckles candy. Taste is definitely peach both on front and back of palette. A bit boozy even though gravity is modest. Not bad, but I like the Palmetto Trail Ale better.
Jun 17, 2022
Reviewed by md3kcn from North Carolina

1.97/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2
Purchased as a single bottle from Ingles for $1.78. Poured into a tulip glass.

L - Hazy faded orange, with a one-finger off-white head that went away fairly quick.
S - Like unsweet peach Nehi. A bit of a wheat note, as well.
T - A malty backing to an overwhelming peach-centric "off" taste. Bitter finish. As I worked down the glass, the bitter sort of rotting peach flavor intensified.
F - Low carbonation, medium body. Not the most drinkable brew.
O - I had somewhat high hopes for this one. I enjoy fruit & field beers, and absolutely adore peaches. When the label said "wheat ale", my hopes went a little higher! To quote Reviewbrah, "my disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined". Good thing I'm about to go to bed! I won't seek this again, but maybe I just got a bad bottle, so I won't turn one down.
Jan 25, 2022
Reviewed by JerzDevl2000 from New Jersey

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
Picked this up recently at Joe Canal's in Woodbridge as I never had this beer before, nor had I even heard of RJ Rockers. This looked like something light for the summer and although it was a bit heavier than I anticipated, this was a typical Fruit and Field Beer that was easy to enjoy and didn't pull any punches throughout my session.

This had a dark, turbid peach hue to it as it topped off with plenty of foamy head that easily filled up the remainder of my pint glass. A decent ring was left near the middle of my glass as there was plenty of spotty lacing the rest of the way down. Funky and outdoorsy, this was as wild and rustic as a beer like this could get. Some caramel, syrup, and deep citrus emerged once this fully warmed up as the peach stayed front and center until the end. Just a bit of hop bitterness could be felt in the back as this was pretty easygoing, given it's heavy-handed nature and lack of carbonation.

The booze was hardly noticeable here too as I could have cracked another can or two open had there been more here. Canned on 7/26 with "LIFE'S A PEACH" written underneath it, this was close to what I expected and just needed a bit more wheat to give it a deeper flavor profile. Worth a go once for a change of pace and the lovely label that will look great in my collection!
Dec 29, 2021
Reviewed by CitizenGrain from Georgia

4.24/5  rDev +19.1%
Strong, ripe, fresh peaches on the nose. Amber color. A little on the sweet side. Malt and hops compliment peach flavor well. Remarkably consistent for a fresh fruit beer. Always satisfies.
Aug 08, 2020

Rated: 3.67 by PuffySAJ from South Carolina

Jun 30, 2020
Reviewed by Troopintj from Kentucky

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Very hazy orange-brown in color. Light nose of peach and distant malt. Lowish carbonation but it works fine. Refreshing on warm day watching the Savannah River go by. Not overly fruity, has good fruit and malty ale balance.
Jun 18, 2020

Rated: 4.11 by beerrat from Virginia

Feb 29, 2020

Rated: 4.4 by Van_boi from New Hampshire

Oct 04, 2019
Reviewed by andypeters1971 from Georgia

4.31/5  rDev +21.1%
Probably the best of the peach beers that I've had which makes sense since Spartanburg, S.C., is the center of the state's peach growing area and South Carolina grows the best peaches. It tastes the closest to real peaches of the ones that I've had
Sep 01, 2019

Rated: 3.5 by aasher from Indiana

Aug 08, 2019

Rated: 4.12 by JM5671 from Ohio

Jun 24, 2019
Rated by Patcey from New Jersey

4.97/5  rDev +39.6%
The best peach flavor I have ever experienced! Hands down!! my only complaint is that it is not available in New Jersey.
Jun 18, 2019

Rated: 3.02 by rlejsovka from Ohio

Mar 30, 2019
Reviewed by Gordono from Nevada

3.84/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Surprisingly good! I wasn’t sure about this one, I don’t normally like fruit beers. Peach is definitely the star but not in an off putting way. They got it right with this one. Straw colored, and quite cloudy, with a clean white head that doesn’t stick-around. Peach also comes through in the aroma and I also get a sent of carnal.
Mar 14, 2019

Rated: 2.91 by JamesGrove from Pennsylvania

Mar 09, 2019

Rated: 2.52 by MrDis from Indiana

Mar 02, 2019
Reviewed by HardCider from Pennsylvania

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
This beer has a butterscotch color with a small head that dissipated quickly. It is unfiltered, so it is somewhat cloudy. Upon pouring, I noticed a very fresh natural peach aroma. A very pleasant aroma. It has a dominant fresh peach flavor; very fruity, but bitter. I also noticed a slight citrus flavor. Although I enjoyed this beer, It left an artificial aftertaste.
Feb 26, 2019

Rated: 3.5 by BeenTired from Pennsylvania

Nov 11, 2018
Reviewed by Tralfaz666 from Georgia

1.86/5  rDev -47.8%
I've had this at the Brewery in a flight and I tried it again out of a can once before that. I thought maybe the can was flawed but it's just as bad from the brewery.

Smells of peach jolly rancher. Notes of band-aid and industrial antiseptic and peach flavored Orajel if that were thing. Feel is almost numbing but that is probably just a psychological reaction to the Orajel association.

This is a nice little brewery with many other respectable brews. Steer clear of this one unless you want to give it to someone as a prank.
Sep 06, 2018

Rated: 4.44 by olongoria from Wisconsin

Aug 19, 2018
Reviewed by Victory_Sabre1973 from Minnesota

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
This beer pours a golden color, with a minimal short lasting white head.
The nose is really peach smelling. Really not much else beyond that. The peach aroma is quite rich smelling.
Taste - I get the peach, but it also has a strange flavor that I really don't quite get. Quite hard to describe. It isn't the best flavor.
The body is moderate, and that strange flavor does stick in my throat.
This is a strange and bizarre beer. Not a big fan of it.
Jul 30, 2018

Rated: 3.74 by bhawk1 from Georgia

Jul 06, 2018

Rated: 3.08 by fisherbray from Florida

Jun 20, 2018
Reviewed by Tennisballa07 from Georgia

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Hazy amber color, hints of tropical fruit on the nose, but very muted. Lightly structured IPA with a soft peach finish. Great for peach lovers, not a complex enough finish.
May 11, 2018

Rated: 3.7 by goblue3509 from Pennsylvania

Aug 10, 2017
Reviewed by Bierliebhaber7 from Maryland

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
At the Tap House in Greenville SC. Not always a fruit beer fan, but this one was good. Says something (good? bad?) when my non-beer drinking companions liked the smell. It smells like peaches, first and foremost. And that's great. But after awhile, when what you really want is a good beer, I found the taste (and sweetness) a bit cloying. Again, not my style but definitely I'd try again and use to coax non-beer folks to try. A great introductory beverage to craft beer IMHO.
Aug 08, 2017

Rated: 3.75 by archero from Texas

Aug 07, 2017

Rated: 3.97 by Giggy from Michigan

Aug 03, 2017
Reviewed by cjgiant from District of Columbia

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%
On tap:
Pours a nice golden, with a response ve but hidden head. Lacing is fleeting.

Nose has a peach note, nicely, but it's sitting on a sweet cardboard - like stale sweetened cereal.

Taste follows, but not as sweet initially. It builds up. A clay-like earthy note presents a little more than cardboard. The peach fights with a little tartness, but resigns itself to the aftertaste (along with a surprising light mint or pine note).

Feel was ok, but this was just not a beer for me. I can drink one, but getting through two would be a bit of a chore.
Jul 21, 2017