Son Of A Peach | RJ Rockers Brewing Company

Son Of A PeachSon Of A Peach

RJ Rockers Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.

Added by mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

Reviews: 195 | Ratings: 739
3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

A: A hazy gold bordering on copper. Medium amount of head with little retention. Still, quite good.

S: The peach is strong, but not overbearing. Bready.

T: Peach, malts, biscuits, simple, yet effective.

M: It's a bit heavier than most other wheats, but I'm guessing this is due to the peach content.

A good beer. Won't be a regular for me, but glad I tried it.

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy, hazy orange on the pour. The smell is citrusy, peach candy ish and wheat. A nice amount of carbonation on the pour and on the mouth feel. A little dry on the finish and a nice taste of peach through out. Not too over powering to say the least. A very refreshing warm weather beer. A bit more heavy than most wheat , but not by too much. I enjoyed this beer. I would love to taste this on tap.

3.99/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz. bottle

Appearance: Pours a cloudy as hell orange/golden yellow color with a finger of a white head that dissipated quickly. Definitely unfiltered.

Smell: Best part of the beer. Smells of peaches or maybe a creamsicle. So good. I want to smell this forever.

Taste - Taste is all peach and wheat with a slight bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is light but it's good for the style.

Overall: One of the most interesting beers I've ever had. Not too big on wheat beers but this is really good.

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bought a six in Greenville SC
Pours a cloudy haze with wheat sediment.
You do get the peach and wheat aroma. Like a peach cream fizz.
A medium mouthfeel and nice carbonation . It's refreshing not overwhelming.
This is an area known for their peaches and the beer is up and coming as well.
This one can be a chick beer or a summer favorite ...

2.87/5  rDev -20.7%

They should call this beer "Extract of a Peach." I've never really been a big fan of RJ Rockers beers, and this is a prime example.

The appearance is a bit darker than a normal wheat beer. The smell is of peaches.

The taste is what is going to throw you to the ground -- really artificial. I don't know how much extract is added to this puppy, but they went overboard.

The mouthfeel is light and not really well carbonated.

Overall, this is an average to below average wheat beer that is slammed with extract. It's one of the reasons many beer drinkers are not big fans of fruit beers.

3.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a frosty pint glass. Pours hazy orange with one finger head that settled down to a ring and left light lacing.

Smells like peaches, more than I had even expected.

Tastes like peaches then a contrasting bitterness, but if it weren't for the bitterness it would be too sweet. So it actually has good balance.

Light to medium bodied with good carbonation. A refreshing beverage.

Overall very drinkable, but maybe a little "girly". Finally I may have found a beer my wife will like. I'll have to see if I can find some bottles of this to take home.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

Pours a hazy, bright orange with a nice looking white head. Smells strongly of peaches, which is a good thing, and also a faint aroma of wheat, just enough to let you know that this is indeed a wheat beer. The taste is something to get very excited about. The peach flavour comes through very strongly, without at all being off-putting. After a few minutes pure amazement at the peach, my head returns from the clouds and the rest of the taste comes through, with a lot of other fruity and flowery notes. The aftertaste is a very sweet peach. The body is not too full but not too light either, very good for this type of beer. The all-around greatness of this will keep me reaching for more and more, especially during the sweltering summer heat.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Hazy, amber/gold color. Thin head, zero lacing

S: Peaches and some more peaches

T: A whole lotta peaches and nothing else.

M: exploding peaches. Heavily carbonated which actually compliments the peaches.

Overall: I'm not a huge peach person, but this was a very solid peach wheat. Sure it was overpowering, but it was over powering in a good way. Would love to try it on draft.

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

Had this at Fall for Greenville (Think a "Taste of ..." event).

A: hazy bronze with some head. Not a great pour from a festival worker.

S: Peaches, apricots and other fall time fruit

T: Tastes like most other wheat's until you get to the peachy afterglow. It's surprisingly refreshing on a hot festival day.

M: Light feel, but perhaps a tad too much carbonation.

Overall: I was so impressed, I had a second. Very drinkable. Not sure I would want more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but it was a nice "walking around" beer at the Fall For Greenville "festival".

Okay, as a woman I was told that I had to, had to buy this. That I would love it since its a 'girly beer,' i.e. a fruit beer. Well, let me dispel the myth. Not all women like 'girly beers.' It had an wheat gold appearance with head when poured into the pint glass. It smelled like a peach, but I'm not sure it that was artificial or not. The taste was average for a wheat beer part of it.The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, it was average. Also, had a friend order this on draft recently and re-tasted it, and the feeling was the same.

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Picked up a 6pack. It was pretty pricey so I figured it must be really good. Not so much. The appearance was a hazy golden wheat color. The aroma was of peaches. Okay, good on both accounts. The taste bothered me. It was a sweet-swill. I get that it is a fruit beer, and its probably my own fault for buying it. But, I thought it was going to be more peach than sugary sucrose. The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, I would probably tell people to steer clear of this particular beer. I like some fruit beers, but this one missed the mark for me.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

Somehow I'm always excited to try fruity beers, and somehow they never seem to live up to my expectations.

This beer pours a murky yellow-orange with essentially zero head, and has no real smell. The taste, as others have noted, is completely dominated by peach, but I don't consider that in-and-of-itself to be a bad thing. The main problem is that the beer is way too sweet and leaves a sticky mouthfeel that, despite being tasty, makes it hard to drink.

Despite the low-ish ratings, I don't think this is a bad beer and don't regret trying it. It's probably a good "beer for people that don't drink beer" sort of beer, but not as much for regular beer drinkers.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%

a: cloudy, orange amber, not much head at all. I guess you could say that the cloudiness is consistent with the base beer being a wheat, but it is a bit dull and muddy

s: fresh peach is quite noticible

t: peach, nicely balanced with sweet, not much else until just a bit of a bitter edge at the finish to let you know that there are some hops there as well

m: medium, smooth, not as carbonated as you might expect in a wheat

d: overall this is a simple, refreshing, and uncomplicated beer. very easy to drink.

Thanks to jpmclaug for setting me up with this!

4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

A fruit flavored beer for the non fruit flavored beer fan. Small brewery in South Carolina this beer is made with local South Carolina peaches (South Carolina actually produces more peaches than Georgia). Wheat style beer with a slight peach aroma. Peach only comes through in the aftertaste. Very refreshing especially in warm weather. Well worth a try, started as a seasonal but due to its popularity it is now brewed year round.

2.86/5  rDev -21%

Cloudy off orange pour with a small white head and minimal lacing. Artificial peach aroma, artificial peach flavor. Really not much else here. If you’re gonna make a peach brew at least make it taste like real, fresh peaches, not cheap, sticky sweet ones. As you may have guessed, didn’t think too much of this one. Sticky sweet finish and average carbonation. Can't believe this is their most popular beer. The girls must love it. That's probably the only market for it. The kind of girls that used to be a high school parties with wine coolers.

4.8/5  rDev +32.6%

Quite possibly the most pleasing beer by smell I've ever encountered. The taste was light and peachy - very sweet. Can barely taste the wheat beer. The wheat gives it a very creamy finish which compliments the flavor. Overall, an outstanding fruit beer.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay, this is what I don't like about certain fruit beers. The brewery goes overboard. It becomes a liquid candy. It becomes less like beer and more like an Orange Crush or something. This one is a Peach Crush though. It's a wheat appearance. Cloudy and with small wheaty particles floating. The smell is overpowering peach. The taste is the same. The mouthfeel is okay with good carbonation. But, overall, if you like peaches... chill one and have it. This is less a beer and more like a mountain dew of peach beer.

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance: hazy and cloudy. Little to no head retention with minimal lacing around the glass. Color is actually quite similar to peach skin toned.
Smell: sweet sugary peaches are dominating this beer. Oddly refreshing smell. Smells like candy.
Taste: again. Peaches are the dominant flavor here. Any malt or hops take a far backseat. Very sweet. Only the carbonation shows at the end to give it more life.
Mouthfeel: sweetness coats mouth with lingering peach flavor. Not heavy at all and very refreshing for the style.
Overall: a little one-sided in complexity with peaches dominating every sense. Very light and refreshing though and a nice flavored thirst quencher

I had this in Asheville, NC at the Thirsty Monk South. Happened to try this when a buddy ordered one. Color is amber/red. Aroma is of wheat and peaches. I'm not a huge peach fan, but this beer is refreshingly tasty. Fruit comes through well and is just sweet enough to be refreshing without being cloying. Would be a great beer on a hot day.

4.87/5  rDev +34.5%

Wonderful cool peach flavor that's not overpowering or phony tasting. A bit dark for what I'd expect a peach ale to look like, but comes through clean and smooth.

2.97/5  rDev -18%

Friend of mine got this and asked me to taste it. Murky orange pour with a small white head that fades fast. Huge peach aroma with a big syruppy peachy taste. Left a bit of an aftertaste that was hard to shake. The mouthfeel was pretty good. Overall, both my friend and I weren't big fans of this. I don't like to give bad ratings, so this was a tough decision to go ahead and rate it at all.

Poured a hazy orange/honey color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Thin white head. Too thin. Strong aroma of sweet peaches. Taste is mostly of peaches as well, but from a can. The kind you would taste with all the syrup. There are some bitter hops in the finish which combine weirdly with the peach flavors.

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

Finally able to try this one on tap and was very excited. I've reviewd a couple Rockers brews before, and since they are my local beer I may be a little biased, but this one was really unique. It has a cloudy color, obviously unfiltered; I'd compare its appearance to an apple cider (which was cool). Aroma is full of peaches. I've tried a lot of fruit beers (namely blueberry ales) that smell "fake", but this aroma seems really authentic. Taste has a little peach to it, but not as much as you would expect going off the aroma. Just a little bit alcohol as well which I didn't expect. I'm told the abv is 5.8%. Overall a very refreshing, interesting beer and one that I plan on drinking by the 6 pack over the summer. Can't wait for its release in bottles.

Smells more powerfully peachy than it tastes (which in this case is good)
Taste is pretty good balance of fruit and wheat
Overall I think it is an excellent departure of the norm since I typically don't do fruity beers.

4.56/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer "technically" hasn't been released yet, but I've managed to get my hands on it twice so far. Once from the tasting wall at the brewery, and once from a limited trial at Terry's a couple weeks ago. I know I've said Buckwheat was my favorite by RJR, and since I've only tried Son of a Peach twice I'm not going to refute that right now, but let's just say I am EAGERLY anticipating the release of this one! It pours a cloudy peach color with very little head. Aroma is dominated by peach which I think makes it seem like you taste more peach than you actually do. Not sure how or when they added peaches during the process, but it's certainly a unique blend of aroma and taste. This one is not overly sweet at all, especially for a fruit beer. There is a little sweetness at the end, but certainly a beer you could continuously down. Carbonation levels leave this beer crisp and refreshing. I'm sure there are some beer geeks out there that won't give this one a fair shake, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice job!!!

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company