Rhythm Of The Night

From:
River Roost Brewery

Vermont, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Rhythm Of The NightRhythm Of The Night
Notes: Our first in a series of barrel aged beers. Batch 1, Imperial Stout w/coffee and lactose aged in bourbon and rye barrels for 18 months.
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 24 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by schinebd:
schinebd from Massachusetts

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sep 29, 2019
sulldaddy from Connecticut

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

batch 001 obtained via trade with @jhavs, thank you!
Pouring a cellar temp bottle into my snifter, the beer pours a rich dark black color with no light passing through my glass. I get very minimal tan head on the pour and this is gone almost immediately once the bottle is empty. A little more head retention would be nice but this looks the part of a big robust stout even with out the foam.
Aroma is rich and malty with chocolate, caramel, some anice, a bit of roasted and very faint coffee notes. I get a little bourbon and vanilla but not a ton. No hops and the booze is absent, which is nice for a double digit beer.
First sip reveals a velvety smooth beer with minimal gentle carbonation. Texture is fairly thick which matches the bigger beer.
Flavor is what I expected, big and malty, although much more bourbon here. I also dont get any of the anice from the nose. Lots of dark chocolate and roasted notes, plus the bourbon and a little bit of coffee in the background. The coffee is more of a light and sweet variety as opposed to burnt or black notes. Booze is well hidden throughout and Im reminded of the 11% only when I stand up to rinse out my glass for a second beer. no hops that I pickup on a fairly complex and very dangerously drinkable Imp Stout!

Jan 27, 2019
GreesyFizeek from New York

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a very dark black color, with a very small head, and no lacing.

This smells like chocolate fudge, lactose, vanilla cream, rye spice, bourbon, and light roasty coffee.

This is their first stout release, and it shows a patience and quality of a brewery that's been doing barrel aged stouts for a long time. There's a lot of complex barrel character here- definitely some spicy oak, and a touch of spice from the rye itself. The rye barrels dominate the barrel character, but there's some sweet caramel tones from the bourbon, as well. The lactose works very well, and honestly might impart more flavor than the coffee itself. The coffee shows up on the back end, creamy and roasty, and just adds a cherry on top of a very well done BA stout.

This is medium bodied, creamy and chewy, with a very nice level of drinkability for the 11% ABV. It's definitely worth slowly sipping, though.

I am incredibly impressed with this beer. I am very excited to see what else pops up in this series.

Dec 13, 2018
Victory_Sabre1973 from Minnesota

4.16/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Here's from a blind tasting of this beer. When I made my review I had no clue of what this beer was, because it was wrapped in foil. This review was posted in NBS 725 in post #121. This beer was sent to me by smanson56.

Look - Pours pitch black. 1 finger tan head. The retention is ok, but dissipates fairly quickly, and I wonder if this is a higher ABV beer. There was a slight bit of lacing as the head dissipated. I'd wager this is some kind of stout. 4.25

Nose - I'm not getting too much. I think I'm getting some barrel aging notes in the aroma. Maybe some smoke? Malty. 3.75

Taste - Oh, yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a BA beer. I get a lot of those types of notes in the flavor. I get the caramel, vanilla, chocolate. I also think I'm getting a hint of coffee. I'm not getting any smoke, so I think I was wrong about that part of the aroma. 4.25

Feel - Thick, boozy, slight warming, but I can tell this is a higher ABV beer. 4.5

Overall - This is a heavy hitting beer. Thick. Rich. Boozy. I'd assume a BA beer. Enjoying it a lot. 4.25.

Jan 14, 2019
mjw2808 from Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Feb 16, 2020

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Oct 07, 2019
SWChi from Illinois

3.81/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Jun 06, 2019
edthehead from New York

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nov 20, 2019

warrendietrich2001 from Nevada

Feb 20, 2020
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Dear Lord! Did I die and go to heaven here in Vermont? Am I even still in Vermont? Or did I teleport to my own beer untopia!?!?!? Please if I wake up let me be drenched fully in this beer! Because pouring batch 3 of this into a snifter absolutely showed me such a grandiose appearance of a pure imperial stout yelling its worth here. Aromas of subjugated honey coated woody vanilla character melds with a semi-spicy woodiness. Rye spice? Yeah, that seems to be there too. Then that flavor, yes, that flavor in which pervades a luscious sweet milk chocolate and dark chocolate sticking to honey coated woodiness. Vanilla comes back like Rocky punching at that Russian guy, I forget his name but you know what I mean. And a sticky aftertaste of honey, vanilla and milk chocolate but layering themselves into each other so nicely, just seems magical. In turn, the feel bleeds into a sticky fashion with a medium to full bodied sort of dealing. Finishes sticky and tells me if I lived closer to this brewery I would be there on a daily basis! Mark Dobson, you outdid yourself on this one!

What looks to be hand written on the side of the bottle reads "07/4/19."

Sep 08, 2019
papposilenus from New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From a 12oz bottle, batch #3 hand-dated 07/04/19. Served in a tulip.

Pours a thick and viscous-appearing molasses-like brown-black with a scant quarter-finger of chocolatey bubbles. Retention is on the order of under 3 seconds and leaves no cap, no collar, no lacing, just a lot of noisy carbonation.

A warm, luxurious aroma of cherry pipe tobacco. Very appealing.

Taste very much follows the nose, cherry pipe tobacco, and I could stop right there but that wouldn’t be fair. The taste is reminiscent of old crumbling book bindings, wood paneling, musty carpets, and great-uncles in wool jackets. See? That right there; that’s why people don’t read my reviews.

Feel is thick and creamy, unctuous, heavy bodied but with bright carbonation keeping it fairly lively.

Overall, a hefty and luxurious treat. This iteration is batch #003, whiskey barrel aged with tart cherries. The cherry character is barely perceptible, more like it was aged on cured tobacco leaves and the beer is only mildly sweet with no hint of tartness..

Jul 21, 2019

ScottP from New Hampshire

Dec 25, 2018
Mikexw from New York

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jan 19, 2019

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

Nov 25, 2018
jhavs from New Hampshire

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a fluted snifter. Previously had taster pour at brewery.

Thick and dark, almost opaque unless held up to the light which reveals deep mahogany edges. Bubbly mocha head settles fast into a few floating islands.

Rich and roasty aroma with floral vanilla, some bourbon and oak.

Flavor is bittersweet cocoa, bourbon, dark chocolate, toffee and a hint of dark fruits.

Moderate carbonation and a thick body. Rich and smooth.

A very tasty BA stout. Enough barrel is present, but not boozy or hot. Smooth and great for sipping.

Aug 28, 2019
TheDoctor from Canada

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: Bottle
Bottled: Jul-4-2019 | Batch 3 (Consumed Sep-24)

Pours looking like used motor oil with mud in it (clumpy even). No head, no retention, no fun. The aroma is not as milk stout-like as I was expecting. Leathery, molassesy, soy saucey, woody, boozy, with some thick candy sweetness coming in at the end. The flavor is layers of thick, cloying sweetness slopped on top of one another. Chocolate covered marshmallows, brown sugar, molasses, light coffee and an earthy spice that I'm guessing is barrel-related that attempts to balance it out (and does as good of a job as anything could). The feel is thick and sticky with meager carbonation and a sticky-sweet aftertaste.

A behemoth of sugar and richness. This is not my beer tonight. It is not off or bad, but is a mess and not too pleasing as a result. Not bad enough to not drink it, and there are definitely some aspects I enjoyed, but it was just all over the place, over-sweet, etc. The look was obviously the low point, at least. In all other aspects the good parts that were there kept me from slamming or totally hating it, but were not in sync enough to make it "pop" for me.

2.5...3.75...4...3.75...3.5