Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tell Tale Heart IPA | B.W. Beer Works USA

B.W. Beer Works USA
Maryland, United States
ravenbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Your first experience with this IPA is the citrus bouquet from its rocky white head. The initial taste is subdued but gradually becomes intense without any harsh bitterness. The Heartier the Better.

Formerly called "Tell Tale Heart Ale".

Added by AdamBear on 02-28-2013

This is one of my favorite ipas of all time. I used to live in Baltimore and drank this about 4 time per week, I love it. Absolutely fantastic and well balanced ipa that is without a doubt worth a try if available.

4.9/5  rDev +28.9%

This is my favorite local brew.

4.84/5  rDev +27.4%

I am really digging these guys' beers and since The Friendly Greek allows me to purchase singles in addition to mixed sixes, I am now on a mission.

From the bottle: "It never skips a beat."; "'I paced the floor to and fro ... but the noise steadily increased ... I must scream or die! ... and louder, louder, louder! 'Villains', I admit the deed! ... tear up the planks! ... here, here! - it is the beating of his hideous heart!'"; "The Tell Tale Heart, Edgar Allan Poe".

I was ready for a beer, and specifically an IPA after a tough morning campaigning, Nothing like a solid aggro pour ro get things started. The Old Lady took me to task during my visit as she feels it a) stirs up the lees and b) creates too much head. If the bottle reads "bottle-conditioned" or if I can see lees, I will employ a gentle pour. Her too much head = my release of esters for a better sense of the nose. Nothing wrong with head in my book and if it takes time to settle, then so be it. I am old and patient. Speaking of head, how does two dense, tawny fingers with great retention sound? It looked like the top of an ice cream float and French Vanilla and tawny are pretty close in my book, although tawny has a more orangish cast where French Vanilla is more yellow. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was reminiscent of taking hop cones in my hands and rubbing them together, releasing an oily, floral quality that can be difficult to describe. This was citrusy in an oily way that caused my mouth to begin slavering. Hophead Alert! I am more than a hophead. I am a hops junkie and while I (mostly) kicked the habit sometime back, beers like this make me pop with sweat in anticipation. I tied off, felt for the vein and then went for a deep, long draught before falling back in ecstasy. I felt a wash of caramel, grapefruit and anise/licorice over my lolling tongue as I struggled to untie the hose and remove the needle. The mouthfeel was thick and viscous and it lay on my tongue like it had passed out and it was up to me to send it on its way. Heavy, sticky lacing had already begun to appear in my glass and pink elephants began to appear in my kitchen. Say, who let Murph the Surf on my ceiling? Groovy, baby. Far out, man. Dig this heavy scene. Me and Ed were kickin' it, rapping about his lousy end and how I am ripping him off for an homage to The Old Lady entitled "Ms. Deborah Lee" as opposed to "Annabel Lee", but he nodded in assent. Soon, I was on the nod and the fuzz was banging on my door as I flopped around on the cold tile floor in a state of ecstasy that only humulus lupulus can bring me to. The stunning dryness of the finish left me gasping for breath, like a fish out of water or an asthmatic without his inhaler. The Old Lady keeps telling me that I am overdoing it with the inhaler bit anyway, so I am cutting back. On my asthma medicine. To what did you think that I was referring? Hops?!? Ha ha ha. I will give up my hoppy beers when they siphon them out of my cold, dead mouth.

4.64/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites. Very refreshing.
Now that I've had a Vermont IPAs, it is less complex and a little too 'hoppy' without the complexity to be in my top 10....

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This brew packs an immense amount of hop flavor and bitterness while balancing with an intense malt backbone. High esters blend well with malty hopness and you can tell you are drink a strong brew with every sip.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap in a pint glass. Might have been served a little bit colder than I would have liked.

Appearance: Definitely much darker than I would have expected for an IPA. Amber brownish.

Smell: Some citrus but mainly guava and tropical fruit, some malt sweetness.

Taste: mango, cracker maltiness, citrus, pine

Mouthfeel: thick carbonation with a touch of creaminess.

Overall: Pretty solid IPA. Definitely one of the least hoppy IPA's I have had although a very solid beer and would drink it again.

4.31/5  rDev +13.4%

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A-transparent amber with a nice cream colored head. Lots of bubbles.

S-fairly decent scent of herbal hops. Quite sweet smelling. Decent scent, has some aged weeds to it.

T-comes in with a pretty bitter flavor of weedy hops and sweet grains. The bitterness and hops last awhile and the sweet grains, similar to a sugary biscuit continue to linger. The flavors are fairly bold with out any flaws.

M-creamy bitter carbonation with a semi-dry finish

O-I actually really like this. It's a unique IPA, it's not trying to like any other existing IPA. Definitely has an old world style to it, similar to an English IPA, but the bitterness continues to be strong. I would absolutely recommend this little curiosity to anyone. I look forward to trying other beers from the brewery.

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful Raspberry/Amber color to it. Lines the glass nicely with a soupy sudsy trace and the carbonation stays consistent throughout. What impressed me the most was the smell. Strong citrus sweet smell. Tasted Sweet Hops with hint of citrus. This beer was a nice discovery. Would compliment seafood well.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25