Tell Tale Heart IPA | B.W. Beer Works USA

B.W. Beer Works USA
Maryland, United States
ravenbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Your first experience with this IPA is the citrus bouquet from its rocky white head. The initial taste is subdued but gradually becomes intense without any harsh bitterness. The Heartier the Better.

Formerly called "Tell Tale Heart Ale".

Added by AdamBear on 02-28-2013

3.8

3.76/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear dark orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet malt and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some nice citrus forward hop aromas but the flavor is a bit too sweet in my opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.37/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Tap at a pub in Baltimore but I forget which one.

Nice creamy fizzy head, light lacing, clear honey orange color

Nose nice floral fruity hops, light grassy hops too, hint of malt, little fruity slight tropical fruit

Taste light fruity hops, big malts sweet candy like malts light toasty caramel, fair spicy hop bitterness, earthy chewy hops, grainy earthy malt thing too. Finish is semi sweet sticky, caramel malty grainy flavors, long fairly bitter spicy earthy hop lingering.

Mouth is med bod, decent carb

Overall not bad, nice nose but the hops turns a bit boring on the flavor. Nice bitterness, decent beer.

12oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a smooth finger of creamy off-white head. This soaps the sides of the glass with thick sticky lacing. The aroma smells floral and piney with a fresh green citrus character and a touch of spice. Light herbal and tropical flavors hang on the edges, where they mingle with a mix of bread and caramel from the malts. The hops have a nice fresh power to them in the nostrils. The taste is similar, with a fresh and zesty citric bite, while dank herbal, sweeter tropical and tangy malt flavors run throughout. Resins and spice linger in the finish. Feel is medium bodied with a soft, creamy and even a bit oily carbonation that is extremely smooth feeling. This was a pleasant surprise and it’s nice to see another well-made and local IPA on the market. I’ll definitely be returning to this.

3.42/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Quite a lovely shade of golden amber. Quite a lot of head with each pour, and the bubbles are like clusters of bees swarming in the tall glass. Swirls of foam as you sip. Pleasantly sudsy in the mouth. Interesting woodsy aroma with malt and flowers.

Malty and sweeter than a lot of IPAs. This makes me think of an Old Ale, with some of the tangy oxidized taste and a hint of butter. Some bitterness finally asserts itself after sipping awhile, and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Some woody and piney flavors linger. It's like this was aged in a cheap pine casket.

This is such a lovely brew to look at and to slosh around the tonsils, but it gets me in the back of the throat before long. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at Sunset Beer Company in Los Angeles.

4.84/5  rDev +27.4%

I am really digging these guys' beers and since The Friendly Greek allows me to purchase singles in addition to mixed sixes, I am now on a mission.

From the bottle: "It never skips a beat."; "'I paced the floor to and fro ... but the noise steadily increased ... I must scream or die! ... and louder, louder, louder! 'Villains', I admit the deed! ... tear up the planks! ... here, here! - it is the beating of his hideous heart!'"; "The Tell Tale Heart, Edgar Allan Poe".

I was ready for a beer, and specifically an IPA after a tough morning campaigning, Nothing like a solid aggro pour ro get things started. The Old Lady took me to task during my visit as she feels it a) stirs up the lees and b) creates too much head. If the bottle reads "bottle-conditioned" or if I can see lees, I will employ a gentle pour. Her too much head = my release of esters for a better sense of the nose. Nothing wrong with head in my book and if it takes time to settle, then so be it. I am old and patient. Speaking of head, how does two dense, tawny fingers with great retention sound? It looked like the top of an ice cream float and French Vanilla and tawny are pretty close in my book, although tawny has a more orangish cast where French Vanilla is more yellow. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was reminiscent of taking hop cones in my hands and rubbing them together, releasing an oily, floral quality that can be difficult to describe. This was citrusy in an oily way that caused my mouth to begin slavering. Hophead Alert! I am more than a hophead. I am a hops junkie and while I (mostly) kicked the habit sometime back, beers like this make me pop with sweat in anticipation. I tied off, felt for the vein and then went for a deep, long draught before falling back in ecstasy. I felt a wash of caramel, grapefruit and anise/licorice over my lolling tongue as I struggled to untie the hose and remove the needle. The mouthfeel was thick and viscous and it lay on my tongue like it had passed out and it was up to me to send it on its way. Heavy, sticky lacing had already begun to appear in my glass and pink elephants began to appear in my kitchen. Say, who let Murph the Surf on my ceiling? Groovy, baby. Far out, man. Dig this heavy scene. Me and Ed were kickin' it, rapping about his lousy end and how I am ripping him off for an homage to The Old Lady entitled "Ms. Deborah Lee" as opposed to "Annabel Lee", but he nodded in assent. Soon, I was on the nod and the fuzz was banging on my door as I flopped around on the cold tile floor in a state of ecstasy that only humulus lupulus can bring me to. The stunning dryness of the finish left me gasping for breath, like a fish out of water or an asthmatic without his inhaler. The Old Lady keeps telling me that I am overdoing it with the inhaler bit anyway, so I am cutting back. On my asthma medicine. To what did you think that I was referring? Hops?!? Ha ha ha. I will give up my hoppy beers when they siphon them out of my cold, dead mouth.

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Real good looking IPA. Deep caramel brown amber, with a hint of lighter orange and red, with plentiful small carbonation rising from the middle. The head manages a solid three to four fingers thick, aggressive and clumpy, bright but a lighter shade of tan. Swiss cheese retention and thick on top, with a glowing dark body. Very impressive looking.

Aroma is a bit mixed. Hints of some juiced sensing fruit and citrus hinting towards orange, but also some off putting dirt and earth quality. It's an odd mix, very good and sort of poor. Strikes down the middle as ok, with a mild caramel sweetness. Not sure where this might be leading.

Palate is actually a much better improvement. Juiced bodied and hop citrus orange in the mid palate, with a real light icing sugar sweetness. Finishes thick and rich, with a hint of caramel, and a good accent that leaves a very soft if hardly noticeable bitterness on the aftertaste. Chewy and almost leafy hops in the mix and slightly minty breath finish too. Honey like lip smacking coating as well too.

Overall actually very solid, but the aroma is really off putting to a degree. This could be something really solid but something in the bouquet mix gives the impression the beer has a problem.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

Nice artwork.

Decent beer. Prevalent hop spice thing going on. Thicker malt body than I would hope for. Mildly leans towards pine. Not really enough though. Could stand some more punch. Nice enough drinker, though.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus, some pine. Taste is good, piney hops, some citrus, a bit of malt, lots of flavor here. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this is a quality and refreshing beer.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

3.24/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, no date

clear copper color, just a bit of white head. nice hop aroma - fruity and floral. taste is hop dominated, but still fairly balanced, neither too sweet nor too bitter. thinner body, medium carbonation.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%