On A Mountain In The Clouds

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: A tropical and juicy 6.5% India pale ale brewed with Citra, Simcoe, Ella, and Mosaic hops. Originally brewed in celebration of our friend’s wedding, well suited for the everyday joys of life.
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 9 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
ichorNet from Massachusetts

4.14/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This can I'm reviewing was packaged on 10/7/20 and is part of batch 7 of this beer, a DDH IPA clocking in at 6.5% ABV by Maine darlings Mast Landing Brewing Co. I may have had a can or two of a previous batch, but I never reviewed it on NBS/NBW or, apparently, on the site proper. Curious, because I do usually find myself reviewing almost every new, intriguing ML beer, especially IPAs. Oh well, time to add yet another one to my repertoire now, then, I suppose!

Pours a typical but quality-looking NEIPA pour with the requisite opacity and doughy complexion, though the head here is superb... spectacular, even, with a solid finger-and-a-half retaining after the initial buildup of three-or-so fingers, and the proceedings leave behind consistent sheets of sticky lace and awesome legs. This just looks great, for sure.

Alright, so this is DDH with Citra, Simcoe, Ella, and Mosaic, eh? That's a lot of complexity, but it can be broken down into citrus, other/weird fruits, pine, and unusual/funky spice, in my humble opinion. Immediately, I pick up an absolutely huge blast of lime and tangelo mingling with white pepper, some guava, and light blueberry undertones. This feels focused on Mosaic and Ella most specifically, and it might be the most pungent and hard-hitting Ella-driven beer I've smelled in a while. I'm kind of hit-or-miss with this varietal in IPAs, but something about the tropical and citrusy notes it can push (and which it seems to lean towards when used alongside Simcoe, which it shares some aspects with) really works here. Hopefully that all translates to the palate!

A bit more muddled on the tongue, to be honest. Somewhat gin-like and complex (not really in a great way) with herbal and spicy elements marrying unconvincingly with a more aggressive, tropical approach, bringing out a confusing mélange of mango, guava, ground white pepper, allspice, and blueberry that just never really congeals into something sensible. Mosaic strikes again (and not even in a bigger IPA this time... hmm)! Feel is pretty decent, though perhaps a bit thin given how much the brewery seems to be trying to force into place here. Low-medium carbonation (only apparent as a moderating element) and a chewy finish with some lingering bitterness/stemmy blueberry aspects. Huh. Well then.

Ya know... it feels like a lot of the constituent elements here are probably excellent, but there's just way too much happening and very few links connecting it all. I tried to make some tangential links, but It all feels extremely tenuous and weirdly phoned-in... which is weird for ML because they have done a lot of very smart, focused, innovative IPAs over the past few years. This is not one of them, unfortunately. And I don't think I've ever had it before, thinking back with this experience in mind, because I would've remembered it if a previous batch were at all similar to what I'm drinking right now. I'm sure some people love stuff like this, but the fact that it just bewilders my palate instead of settling into any kind of logical place is a strike against it, personally.

Oct 23, 2020
brureview from Massachusetts

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Interesting hop combo with Ella, a hop which I don’t like very much.

Light orange color in a Spielgelau IPA glass with a 3F head.

Piney citrus aroma with some earthy character.

Medium mouth feel, not very carbonated.

Great taste with warming. Pine, citrus, earthy, spicy.

I don’t like Ella as a single hop, but the combo is excellent. Almost on the side of being unusual.

Jul 17, 2020