Hoppy Timbs
Southern Grist Brewing Co.

Hoppy TimbsHoppy Timbs
Score:
Ranked #5,995
4.2 | pDev: 6.67%
From:
Southern Grist Brewing Co.

Tennessee, United States
Notes:
Reviews: 12 | Ratings: 39 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
hoptheology from South Dakota

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can from Craft Brewed, dated 9/29/20
Into Boulevard Smokestack snifter.

Pours an absolutely gorgeous thick milkshake-y medium-dark yellow liquid and a huge head like a west-coast IPA. Head recedes at a moderate pace and leaves lots of lace on the sides.

Aroma is fucking huge and is of dank orange juice. Hints of pear. Some papaya, pineapple, and mango.

Flavor is nearly as huge as the aroma, and brings happiness to me. Acidic orange juice, mixed with some grapefruit juice, slight pear juice, then some bitter papaya, peppery pineapple, dank/weed, and a little basil. Grows a bit chlorophyll-bitter on the finish which detracts a bit but it isn't over the line. What can I say, it's just awesome.

Feel is pillowy soft and juicy AF. The acidity bites the gums and palate and the hot alcohol heat is ever present but so welcoming. Resins remain, not in an oily fashion, but a juicy one.

Overall, TN is the 2nd New England. These guys are churning out beers that are easily AS GOOD as Trillium, Other Half, and Tree House. NY was closed to outsiders so I came here instead. Do not regret it. In a world of horrible imitators, TN still gets it right. There are hops for days in this beer. Pillowy mouthfeel, fantastic juice. This is orgasmic. Beers like this are so far above anything I can find in my home state it's laughable. Hence why I travel. There is no need to drink bad beer in today's current craft market, and that's why I tend to be an asshole to terrible beers I encounter.

Hopppppy Timbbbbbs!! shout it from the rooftops!

Price paid : $5.50 / can
Would buy again : take my money

Oct 22, 2020
gatornation from Minnesota

3.84/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Super fresh at only 12 days .Pours a hazy golden color with a 1 finger white head., smell is tangerine,grapes and garden fruit. Taste is citrus forward with tangelo,oranges,melon,grapes and berries, a dank malt finish it was kinda bland . Mouth feel was soft and more sweet than i like had a lingering greasy malt finish. Tasty enough i guess but not 1 i would buy again.

Oct 11, 2020
titty_mcbitty from Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: This beer looks like a quintessential NEIPA - it's bright orange and murky, and it has a pillowy white head.

S: Tangerine, melon, orange pith, and citrus.

T: Juicy melon, ripe orange, tangerine, maybe some passion fruit. The flavor is bitter and astringent yet juicy. Nice balance of the two.

M: Medium consistency, nice soft carb. Goes down very smoothly.

O: I've bought this too many times. It's a very well-made beer. One of the better IPAs I've come across in the TN area.

Mar 11, 2020
oldmankoch from Tennessee

4.41/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is very reminiscent of beers I've had from my special place, VT. Takes me back to Foam/River Roost and others in the Nose and Taste. Very happy drinking this. If you see it in the wild, make sure to snatch a 4-pack.

Feb 21, 2020
mntlover from Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy pale murky golden/yellow with just a hint of orange juice thrown in. Nice fluffy thumb sized head falls slow to ringer bubble with good lace.

Aroma is nice tropical fruits mango, pineapple, juicy fruit chewing gum, tangerine and passion fruit. Underlying bitterness that is mostly citrus like.

Taste is a mixture have the great sweet tropical fruitiness in the nose then a nice hint of danker bitter hops mostly citrus again with hints of herbal but as it lingers on the tongue in the finish you get some more fruitiness mingled in with the bitterness. Finish also has a light carbonation boost, I like this one at first wasn't sure about the mixture in the flavor but the more I drink it the more I like it.

Mouthfeel is mostly medium and smooth but get a light CO2 spike in the finish to make things interesting.

Overall I would have this again, I'm torn mostly over the hazy craze but then you hind one that is pretty well done and its like eh I kind of enjoyed this one.

Feb 19, 2020
Jimmy_Kneecaps from Tennessee

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Color is a dense, murky, opaque golden yellowish orange with billowing eggshell white head which has great retention and lacing after the fact. The scent reminds me of some tired hands and other half brews I have had. Pungent overripe fruits and cheese radiate from the glass. More of the same on the taste with a little sweetness and a little bitterness to back it up. Mouthfeel is more than medium, soft, pillowy, all that jazz. Overall good NE style ipa from my favorite Nashville brewery.

May 12, 2019
Hopheadjeffery from Illinois

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

Tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a one pint can on January 13, 2019. Brewed with Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin and Mandarina Bavaria hops. Notes of white grape, lime zest, dankness, tangerine and nectarine.

Jan 29, 2019
Bshaw22 from Wisconsin

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really solid beer. Best I’ve had from them
Poured into Tree house pint glass
Yellow haze
Big whit head. Dissapaits bit never goes away. Nice lacing
Smell is mango and passion fruit
Flavors follows with a little bitterness and carbonation bite.
Smooth finish
Seak this one out

Jan 21, 2019
HoptopsY from Kentucky

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice citrus aroma with some dankness. Taste is similar, juicy for sure with some medium/medium-light bitterness. Nothing explosive but still very good. I'll have no problem drinking this 4 pack.

Jan 17, 2019
Buck89 from Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the source into a snifter. A very hazy bright yellow color with a modest white head. A seriously dank aroma with hints of citrus. The taste was less dank and brought a nice balance of resin, citrus, and white wine. Dry finish. Very soft bitterness and a soft feel. Outstanding.

Jan 05, 2019
Tilley4 from Tennessee

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The NEIPA phase has about run its course with me but I'm always up to try one I've never had. Southern Grist usually does a bang up job...

This is good but I will admit that the burn out is real... I would have enjoyed this much more 8 months ago... they al and seem to blur together now...

The hops are vinous and slightly juicy in nature... no bitterness on the finish... touches of yeastiness here and there.... no malt presence to speak of here...

I guess the thrill is gone for me regarding this style...

Dec 22, 2018
GreesyFizeek from New York

4.39/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one pours an exceptionally hazy orange color, with a small head, and lots of lacing.

This smells like weed, mango juice and skin, white grape, nectarine and tangerine, and piney hops.

This is really quite good. I'm mostly tired of NEIPAs these days, but this still hits me in the right way. This is a neat combo of hops- Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin, and Mandarina Bavaria- it adds a huge juiciness to it, but also a nice zesty bitterness on the finish. The bitterness is mostly weedy and dank. I get big notes of stone fruit and mango, with lighter notes of nectarine/tangerine and other orangey type flavors. There's no malt character.

This is medium bodied, with a nice creamy and substantial body, and a good level of carbonation.

I've heard good things about this brewery, and this beer definitely confirms those rumors. This is a pretty great beer.

Jul 20, 2018
Hoppy Timbs from Southern Grist Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 92 out of 100 with 39 ratings