Schaefer
F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

SchaeferSchaefer
Score:
Ranked #49,659
2.62 | pDev: 28.63%
From:
F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.

Wisconsin, United States
Reviews: 140 | Ratings: 289 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by JohnniEMc:
JohnniEMc from Pennsylvania

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A 12 oz. can poured into a clear pint glass shows a very pale straw colored, almost clear liquid. There's very little head, glass lacing, nor aroma. There is some taste, but it's mostly yeasty. Considering the category, at least there is some taste. This brand probably tasted better decades ago. The Puerto Rican version definitely was.

Sep 08, 2020
MishRodz from Puerto Rico

4.24/5  rDev +61.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm impressed with the renew version of this beer. I taste the version made at the brewery in Puerto. It's been like 30 years that this beer disappeared from the market.

Sep 10, 2015
MoreBeer4me from New Jersey

Been drinking this on and off longer than I care to remember. It tastes like "BEER". And that's a good thing. Schaefer is one of those beers I'll have as my first beer of the day along with being one of my backyard beers. Can't beat $8.50 for a 12 pack. Get some!

Oct 02, 2018
feuematt from Pennsylvania

I know the macros are not a favorite on this site but I do enjoy going to one from time to time. I would say this your average macro nothing great but not awful either.

May 28, 2017
OldSchoolMike from North Carolina

3.47/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another beer that defined the look, taste, and smell of "beer" for me back in my twenties. I drank a lot of this in college, when it was the cheapest beer that tasted decent. Once again, can't find it anymore around here, but I would buy it if I could.

Dec 13, 2017
connecticutpoet from Connecticut

3.21/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Rating this against other examples of the STYLE, not trying to compare it to a Guinness or Westvleteren.

Appearance is pretty good, nice three finger rocky head on a light yellow body. Fine streams of bubbles rising. Head dies to a thin layer but never disappears.

Aroma is of corn and grains, but there is a hint of lager yeast. I'm looking for skunky hops and if I search I can find them but they are not prominent. Not too offensive at all.

Taste was of grains and adjuncts but what else do you expect? It's lightly bitter but not skunky in the slightest. A bit sweet as well. Not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is average, light carbonation on the tongue. Not oily or sticky as some corn adjuncts can do.

Overall, not my favorite style of beer by a long shot. But compared to Busch, Bud, and PBR, this one is better than most. If all that you have available are adjunct lagers, this one would be a good choice.

Apr 27, 2016
vwbus7 from North Carolina

As for me this is what beer has always been. When I was young this was beer. Of course I drank the imports and the micros when they came out and always said wow! Nope, it's not a trendy beer that the new age people think is great. If I was in a bar in the 70's or 80's and had tried an IPA I would of said wow that's different and interesting. I'll have another Schaefer please.

Feb 24, 2016
thekevlarkid from Maryland

2.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Out of a bottle this beer was a clear, straw color with one finger of white head. The retention of the head was average and it left spots of lacing. The aroma was of pale malt, corn, a bit of grassy hops and a hint of sweet malt. The flavors were mostly of cereal grains, pale malt and corn with some sweet malt too. Very little hops. The body was light, the carbonation appropriate and the mouthfeel fine.

Nov 03, 2011
Mississippi from Virginia

2.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sep 03, 2018
puboflyons from New Hampshire

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the 40 fl. oz. pounder. Sampled on September 6, 2010. I have never had Schaefer in a bottle believe it or not. For the last 30 years or so that I have been drinking beer I have only ever had it from the can. The bottle surpasses the can.

What more can I say about Schaefer? It is an icon from the Golden Age of beer with its pale yellow look, corny, grassy, and slightly hopped scent and light body. The taste is a typical adjunct lager with lots of corn and grass and a spritzer of hops. It is a good hot weather beer.

Sep 07, 2010
hankp59 from New York

2.18/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Light refreshing, for tinted water, and very mild. This thing drinks quick, inoffensive, and utterly forgettable. There is nothing off here just simple light lager. If you’re hot and thirsty go for it.

Sep 26, 2020
RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

3.85/5  rDev +46.9%

Schaefer (no longer sold in Louisiana, only Schaefer Light sold in the state now) has a thick, white head and a very clear appearance. It is highly carbonated. The aroma is mild, but barley and hop spice can be clearly detected with a sniff into the glass. A grain adjunct (corn?) is also present underneath. The taste is mild and very typical for American beer- it's beery. Mouth-feel is light and watery (it's always been marketed as a volume-drinking brew). Schaefer finishes crisp, snappy, and refreshing. This is about as ordinary of a beer as one can get, but it's a good, solid, and credible brand. Overall, I give this lager a pretty high rating and recommend you give it a try.

RJT

Jul 24, 2010
ghebb from Connecticut

2.91/5  rDev +11.1%

Not a great beer, but not horrible either. I'm not sure why this one gets dissed and PBR is loved, when it tastes almost identical to PBR (to me anyways). Again you're know your not getting a high class beer here, but thats not the point. It's cheap, and refresing on a hot day (great to bring to the beach as well).

Aug 16, 2009

3.28/5  rDev +25.2%

Apr 13, 2016
deaconoflove from Pennsylvania

3.56/5  rDev +35.9%

Ap. Very very pale yellow gold with a fine white head. Significant lacing.
Sm. Pale smell too. Slight grainy cheap beer smell. There is some faint hops in there.
Ta. Pale taste too. Slightly tart finish.
Mf. Pale with nice carbonation.
Dr. Full disclosure...Schaefer's is my favorite cheap beer. I drink more Schaefer's than any other single beer. Is it good? Not particularly. Is it drinkable? Very much so. Is it cheap? Bingo.

Nov 10, 2009
Gyle41386 from South Carolina

2.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear yellow/gold color. Unfortunately, the initial 3+ fingers of foam fade away the second you turn your back. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing any lacing here.

Nose is sweet and grainy. Hints of cooked corn. The initial whiff is quite astringent.

Flavor is entirely lightly sweet malt with a corn finish. There's a metallic bitterness that I guess you could call hops. Standard adjunct lager flavor.

Light body. Soda-like fizz. Dry finish. Smooth, easy drinker, like every other adjunct lager. This is a beer you drink when you don't feel like thinking about what you're drinking. I guess it's refreshing, though. I'll give the drinkability a 2, because that's how many sips it took before I got tired of this one.

May 14, 2009
GennyCreamAle from New York

Nov 17, 2011
wattoclone from California

Sep 12, 2012
fx20736 from New York

2.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Bought a 40 oz bottle from Windmill Liquors in Orleans, MA on 7/8/13 for $ 2.55.

Poured into a glass tumbler served at fridge temp.

appearance: pale, brassy yellow with a 2 finger, snow-white head. Nice lacing.

aroma: faint hoppiness, a little corn and some mustiness.

mouthfeel: decent, full.

taste: gentle for an adjunct with enough hops to balance a slight sweetness which leaves a mineral like saccharin taste.

notes: it is what it is. I wish it didn't have the weird aftertaste because otherwise this would a decent, little beer.

Jul 09, 2013
mdillon86 from Pennsylvania

Nov 25, 2011
CowsCanBark from Pennsylvania

2.66/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into Samuel Adam's pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw golden with a fluffy three-finger head, decent lacing is left on the glass.

Smell: Very mild, as expected. Light hints of corn adjuncts, grass, and a distinct floral note.

Taste: Pretty corny, adjunct laden. It's not as sweet as your average AAL, which I think brings out worse flavor in this beer's case. The back-end is metallic and has a weird vegetable taste.

Mouthfeel: Light body and high carbonation, very drinkable. This is a bit different than other beers of its kind, though, in that it has a slight dryness to it.

Overall: This is very similar to any other AAL, but the weird vegetable taste at the back-end will turn me off from buying any more of these in the future. If I'm looking to get cranked, I'd much rather have the standard BMC non-light.

Apr 28, 2012
tone77 from Pennsylvania

2.71/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from ma 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is surprisingly sweet, some hints of corn. Taste is missing for the most part. Very watery with a small amount of beer flavor. Feels watery in the mouth. Drinkability is decent, good for beer games. Overall there is not much to like about this one.

Oct 02, 2009
ThomasMetal75 from Massachusetts

2.36/5  rDev -9.9%

*Not going to go into too much detail here. It's 2015 now, and my beer is getting hard to drink.

A- If you've seen Pabst Blue Ribbon in a glass, that's what it looks like. Super clear and golden. Head dies quickly.

S- Smell has the standard beer smell. Wet papery, sweet, corn husk. Light pale malt. Nothing to write home about. Smells a lot like Pabst Blue Ribbon.

T- Same as smell. Standard beer type flavors. Sweet and corny. Very grainy, with the lightest touch of pale malt. There is a very, and I mean very, slight hint of hops that attempts to balance out the sweet flavor. The hops do not do their job very well if you ask me. Again, this is a standard beer flavor that is on the sweet side.

M- It drinks like a lager would drink. It's light. It's crisp, clean, and I could see how it refreshes. If you've been drinking during your New Years celebrations all night and then go to this, it probably won't taste all that great. That's the boat I'm in right now.

Overall, this beer isn't all that stellar. It's a middle of the road beer that struggles to be just an average lager. Nothing stands out here. It's on the sweet side, which is what I really dislike about it. I can only seem to find this beer in 40 ounce bottles in my area, so not too good if I don't want to drink that much (like right now). I'd say pass on Schaefer, unless you're into the American adjunct lager style.

Jan 01, 2015
Zodijackyl from Connecticut

3.57/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can.

Smells like fresh corn, some light malts, and a hint of metallic hops. It's pretty smooth, with a tiny bit of bitterness up front, a light malt feel on the tongue, and an aftertaste of fresh corn. Light biscuits and corn. It's quite light, not a lot of flavor, but I don't mind the corn flavor so it's quite easy to drink. Certainly one of the better inexpensive beers, very easy to drink.

Feb 05, 2012
Schaefer from F & M Schaefer Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 63 out of 100 with 289 ratings