Bourbon Barrel Louisville Imperial I.P.A. | Hinterland Brewery Restaurant

Hinterland Brewery Restaurant
Wisconsin, United States
hinterlandbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by DaPeculierDane on 04-04-2007

3.9

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3
Reviews by nsmartell:
3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

This was described by the menu as a "Bourbon Barrel IPA" so I was expecting an interesting IPA and not a barley wine.

I enjoyed this beer as part of the 3 - 6oz tasting flite at the brewery's new Milwuakee location.

Appearance: Poured a nice dark copper with an off-white head.

Smell: Pretty solid bourbon smell, but not the hoppiness I was expecting from an IPA.

Taste: Very complex, but I could definitely taste the caramel.

Mouthfeel: Pretty cream amd full bodied.

Drinkability: I don't normally like bourbon barrel aging but this was one of the better ones I have tasted.

Not a bad barleywine, but not a session beer for me.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

On tap at Wonders Pub for the insanely low price of just $3 a pint during a blue grass concert. At Hinterland this would probably cost $8 for a 7 oz snifter.

Appearance: Very dark copper, almost brown but still bright and appealing. Head is off white, initially sits at about a half inch and slowly reduces to an 1/8. Lace clings to the glass for the entire beer drinking experience.

Aroma: Straight forward bourbon notes of vanilla, earth, and wood. Background citrus and floral hops but definitely subdued by the aging process.

Taste: Wonderful caramel and toffee malt character accented by rich vanilla esters and deep earthy notes. Raked leaves, dried flower petals, fresh mulch, etc…but always vanilla, not overwhelming and very natural. Truly the perfect amount. Mild citrus in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy. Full bodied. Luscious, earthy, and tongue coating. Very warming despite a complete lack of alcohol in the flavor beyond the vanilla character. Finishes dry to the point where it demands another sip. Perfectly balanced in my opinion. There is none of that unnecessary sweetness that one finds in many bourbon barrel brews, just a pleasant richness followed up with a modestly hopped, dry finish.

Drinkability: I’m not much of a fan of bourbon barrel aging but I find this beer very enticing. After a pint I was craving another one or two but ultimately this is just too filling and since I had it with a meal, I was unable to drink any more. For the style, and considering the aging, I have to give this a pretty good drinkability rating.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%