Berliner Weisse | Hinterland Brewery Restaurant

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Added by Etan on 09-14-2013

1.5/5  rDev -58.1%

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Scored one of these from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee when I was back in town for my 10 year reunion at Marquette.

Pours looking like BMC, offered too much clarity for a beer in this genre, I wanted to see free wheat particles all over the place. Aroma kicked some lemon, but like no wheat, came off more like a lager aroma than an ale.

Taste, eh, carbonation high kept it being as noticeable as it could, just didn't drop enough tartness or wheat for me, and that's what makes this beer a berlinner weisse, so I dunno man. Too much noble hop like bitterness, not enough wheat, not enough tart. Carbonation obscured what wasn't there I think.

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

From a 16 ounce bottle.

A. Light straw color with some turbidity. Nice puffy white head that laces quite well.
S. Bready nose with just a hint of lemon - very little else going on.
T. Lemon juice and malt built on a very light frame. Refreshing but devoid of flavor.
M. Light bodied with minimal carbonation.
O. When the appearance of a beer is its highlight you know something is not right. In a blind tasting I would never guess Berliner Weisse. Would be okay after mowing the lawn to rehydrate but that's about it.

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

3.12/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.21/5  rDev -10.3%

Hinterland deeply disappointed me with a maple beer of theirs about a year ago, but given the difficulty in finding one of my favorite styles, Berliner Weiss, I thought that I'd give this a shot.

Appears a pale straw color, like others that I've had.

Smells of lemons, impending acidity, dirty socks.

Tastes a little funky, don't get any malt or hops, which is par for the style. A little wheat, but that's it.

Light to medium in the mouth, medium carbonation.

Overall I'm underwhelmed. Bayerischer Banof is, so far, the best I've tried in this style. I used to think that Bells' Oarsman Ale was pedestrian, but it easily exceeds this example in taste. If I brew my own, and it turns out like this, I'll be extremely disappointed.

3.48/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

500ml bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy darkish yellow with a spongy white head and great lacing.

S: The aroma is completely surprising: sweet papaya-like hop notes dominate. A bit of lactic character and wheat comes through as well.

T: Taste brings grassy, slightly citrusy hoppiness, mild lactic tartness, a bit of hop bitterness, and a pleasant wash of grain in the finish.

M: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: This berliner is hopped way too much to stay true to style. I can't imagine Hinterland would do this unintentionally, but I just don't know. I like the beer, but I have to dock points given that this is simply advertised as a berliner and not a "hoppy berliner" or something like that.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%