Stroh's | Pabst Brewing Company

pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Mitchster on 08-24-2001

3.64/5  rDev +43.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my go-to beer while is was available in my locality. Cheap, as a beer should be, smells like a beer, tastes like a beer, and so on. Yes, the fire-brewed gimmick is probably not something that contributes to the taste, but the blue can is cool, and I have never regretted cracking one open. Perfect with a three-dollar frozen pizza for us poor folks, or for when you are hosting a big party and don't want to spend too much on the beer. I wish I could have one now. The last time I saw these is when I was in Michigan ten years ago. Glad to know that it is still around.

2.84/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.36/5  rDev +32.3%

2.79/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.38/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.26/5  rDev -11%

I am rating this based on the Stroh's of my youth. Growing up in Western PA, Stroh's was actually a tastier, more malty beer than the other local offerings. And it definitely was sharper and more carbonated. It was a great beer for the 1970s.

Today, when I can have Bell's Two-Hearted Ale whenever I want, Stroh's seems more like a malty Canada Dry. I would only drink Stroh's today to take a trip down memory lane.

Additional comment: I would say that Stroh's of the 1960s-1970s was the Yuengling of the late 2000s-early 2010s. The beer to have after mowing the lawn, or a taste-upgrade to the usual dorm beer. I still have a couple of Yuengling's in the fridge... but they won't be replaced. Same with Stroh's. Too many other better beers.

2.12/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I remember the commercials from my youth in the eighties just because they were so weird. I mean, what the hell does "fire brewed" mean anyway? There were a few people in college who drank it regularly but for me the only interesting fact about Stroh's was that it came in fifteen packs, before they were cool. Anyhoo, I'm reviewing it.

This looks okay but doesn't smell like much, just grainy and sour. It tastes bland but inoffensive. Honestly, for the style and price this is a solid, quaffable beer for camping, softball, or barbecues. Glad I rediscovered it.

2.91/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Good carbonation, nice white head, tastes smooth.

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought as a tribute to my youth (before there was craft beer).

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.67/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.02/5  rDev -20.5%

This is a fairly carbonated beer with a nice white head, there is little to no lacing on the glass. There is nothing special about this beer.

3.68/5  rDev +44.9%

2.27/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

1.19/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

2.94/5  rDev +15.7%

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.64/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.57/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

After many years, I've found this beer again while visiting Ohio.

It has the look and smell of many adjunct lagers. The taste actually is a couple of notches above most examples of the style, a little maltier and grainy with a nifty hop presence.

And if I'm not mistaken, the current offering is small batch brewed in Detroit (the bottle label address reflects this) and is only distributed around the Michigan and Ohio area.

Welcome back, old friend...

2.31/5  rDev -9.1%

2.91/5  rDev +14.6%

Let's be honest. If you are drinking Strohs, you know what you are getting into. It's not the best, but it's great as a easy drinking beer that can get the job done after 10. Plus it tastes way better than bud light.

Stroh's from Pabst Brewing Company