Stroh's

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Stroh'sStroh's
Notes: Stroh's American Lager is a full-bodied beer that upholds the Stroh family's rich brewing tradition and the Detroit spirit. Brewed in Milwaukee, WI with American grown Galena and Cascade hops, Stroh's American Lager delivers an excellence in taste that is balanced to perfection.
View: Beers
Reviews: 217 | Ratings: 634 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
jkblr from Indiana

3.55/5  rDev +36%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz can stamped AUG 3120 poured into a perfect pint glass at fridge temp 4.5% ABV. The can is now blue again and labeled as Classic. Also states the Stroh Brewery Milwaukee, WI, which is just wrong, but I digress. The beer pours bright straw yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes rather slowly for a budget AAL and leaves a fluffy ring and some lacing. The aroma is mild, corny and grainy in nature. The taste is semisweet, corny, with a hint of movie theater popcorn and a moderately bitter finish. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with average carbonation and an undry finish. Overall, good AAL. Could be a lot better with a few more days of lagering to let the yeast finish it's work, but a good value at $18/30 pack.

Jun 15, 2020
CWINS65

4.5/5  rDev +72.4%

Great American Lager! One of the best traditional brews in our history! I buy it regularly and still enjoy it. Much better than the average American gas station beers.

Feb 14, 2020
Gobearswalter34 from Illinois

3.77/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark golden straw with a thin white head.
Sweet grain smell with light malt
Grain and barley come together well for this lager. Much better than colors, bud light and other Aal’s

Nov 02, 2019
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

3.83/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

(12 oz can - Stroh's American Lager, JAN0620; purchased cold single at SL... poured into 14 oz mug)

L: brilliantly-clear, yellow-amber liquid; loose, fizzy, foam sponge on pour, crumbles quick... razor thin collar remains, only a couple tiny boogers of lace

S: relatively peppery and toasty on its leading edge, with a note of (corn) syrup lingering in the back... after a minute or two, a bit of spicy, desiccated lemon peel hop pokes out... overall intensity fairly weak

T: again, a bit of bitter hoppiness up front?, with toasty grain and subtle burnt corn notes dominating its dry finish... malt moves forward as it goes... more of a robust grainy punch than a typical AAL - in fact, it really just tastes like a drier, toned-down craft Bo'Pils... spicy, Saaz(?) bitterness lingers awhile, lovely!

F: delicate sizzle, but no bite... bit more body and residual drag than expected, bordering on malt liquor?... cut finish, spicy warmth humming, well-tailored attack

O: I can't recall ever having encountered this before, had to grab one... is this a reinvention or alternate recipe released under the Stroh's name?... wish I would've known - would enjoy regularly having at least a sixer of this on hand (1555)

Oct 08, 2019
west-florida from Florida

3.67/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 5

( Original Fire Brewed )Loved the Original Fire Brewed Stroh's ..drank a river of it with friends late 70's while attending U of Michigan ---that's all anyone drank
Cany you still purchase the Original Fire Brewed Stroh's ? if so where ?

Aug 28, 2019
Notallan from Illinois

2.55/5  rDev -2.3%

Wanted to like this. I like the packaging and can design. I also like the concept of old brands. High carbonation. Plain corn beer. Would choose a Budweiser over this.

Apr 27, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The beer I was weaned on. Drank this from the time I was 15 until I graduated from college. All the bars in the town I grew up in in Ohio had this on tap. Now obviously, this is not the same beer, back then it was brewed by Stroh's out of Detroit, not by Pabst. Do not know what it is like now, and I have no interest in finding out. I am not a fan of Pabst products, and if it ain't the original fire brewed beer I knew, I don't want it

Apr 19, 2019
cardfan212 from Minnesota

4.36/5  rDev +67%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Drank from a 12 ounce can. Scores are based on the style.

Look - Simple yet elegant. The red, white, and yellow come together nicely as a cohesive style. No excessive words or clutter takes up unnecessary space. The script logo and lion emblem age very nice. I really like this can.

Smell - Mild malt that isn't overwhelming combined with sweet corn and light, delicate hops. A beautiful bouquet that perfectly encapsulates the spirit of beer.

Taste - A fantastic balance of bready and bitter. Right when you think it's gonna tip over into cloying territory, a surprising wave of hops hits you and brings you back. A weird minty touch on the end that reminds me of Red Stripe but better. Refreshing and different for an AAL.

Feel - Medium body and creamy carbonation make this an extra smooth easy drinker.

Overall - A very high quality beer that justifies its slightly higher price tag than other macros. Surprising on every front, it's near impossible to find anything wrong with this beer.

Apr 06, 2019
Halley1 from Ohio

4.23/5  rDev +62.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rated to style; Stroh's hey days are long gone, and that's too bad. Recipe has been tweaked, but still a good brew. Pours a nice touch of gold appearance, head shrinks quick. Surprisingly good lacing in pilsner glass. Tastes a bit sweet with touch of malt and a nice amount of hops to balance the overall taste. Too many reviewers don't give credit to AAL's for being "good" beer and Stroh's is a perfect example of bias. IMO, top 5 for macro AAL's, much tastier than Bud, PBR, MGD, Miller. On par with Coors, Red Stripe, Hamms. Cheers!

Dec 23, 2018
Dr_Bahmbay13 from Michigan

4.65/5  rDev +78.2%

As a Michigan Native seeing the low rating comes as no surprise. No it's probably not the same recipe used when I would run to cellar for gramps to grab a strohs in the 80s when I was a kid. BUT, It taste like the can advertised to the tee...Great American Lager. Sweet corn lager with a slight hops bite. 5.99 sixer of tall boys. Great Beer for lazy sundays watching the lions lose. Pairs excellent with all appetizers, was awesome with homemade pizza.
Pours a great golden clear cornish yellow. Full bodied head dissipates fast. Small tight carbonation bubbles. Smells grassy ,hops ,corn. Taste is pleasant. No off cloying flavors. Smooth. Very easy to drink. Has a the sweetness you expect from a macro but not over the top. I get a slight hop bite after it washes down. Faint peppery sensation. What I like about it the most say vs bud. Buds tend to have to much banana yeast flavor for where its absent in Strohs.

Dec 09, 2018
KarlDK1990 from Michigan

Great beer I'm surprised it's not more popular. Bit of a shame. Reminds me of a more hoppy less corn syrupy pbr. There is legit hop flavor in this and it's in the same price range as bud Miller etc. I recommend it

Oct 25, 2018
Brook82 from Ohio

3.86/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Used the drink this back in 1980's. Stroh's was popular in Ohio and had strong sales. Bought some on a whim recently and it's still one of the better macros around and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. A hint of gold color with good lacing in pilsner glass. A bit sweet, yet balanced smell and an up front malt tinged taste with blend of hops that compliments the sweetness. Transitions to a quick, dry finish. One of the better AAL's on the market. 30 pk cans was $18.99 + tax. Cheers!

Oct 21, 2018
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

3.5/5  rDev +34.1%

When I drink this, I feel like it takes me back to the old days of Detroit. I am keeping the lions symbol no matter what the circumstances. It is that kind of firm stance that has led to this and many others making a come back. This along with our pride is the reason why the city gets back up and does not quit. This is like the Michigan version of Labatt, crisp, clean and refreshing.

I have a soft spot for Stroh’s as it was, in fact, my first beer. Selecting that royal blue can with the lion on the crest and thinking “It has a Lion on it, that means it’s probably good!” Looking back on it now I realize that there area very few things from Detroit that adorn a lion as part of their logo that can truly be classified as good.

Oct 08, 2018
darkfalz from Kentucky

4.24/5  rDev +62.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a cheap beer drinker, this is way up there. My personal #1 is Hamms. This is #1b.

Poured from a cold can into a pilsner glass. Nice yellow color on the pale side. Smell was nice and crisp, a slight hint of yeast. Taste was exactly what I expect in a good cheap beer. Very light, the kind of beer that's perfect for a hot day. The feel was a bit of carbonation but not at all overpowering. Went down so very smooth.

Overall, this beer is a close second to my beloved Hamms. Definitely a keeper that will be kept in stock in my fridge.

Oct 03, 2018
Tripel_Threat from Michigan

3.89/5  rDev +49%

Had this one straight from the bottle at a local watering hole in Corktown. Aroma is sweet: corn, dough, and floral hops. A few pulls from the neck and, blammo! I'm an instant fan. I could chase this clean but sweet bad boy with Stroh's (micro cousin) Bohemian all day. Sweet but not cloying notes of corn, white bread dough, honey biscuit, and a floral finish. This one for me is the king of macro AALs.

Sep 12, 2018
dcotom from Iowa

3.81/5  rDev +46%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a surprisingly good pale lager! Poured from 12-ounce can into a stemless wine glass. Clear pale yellow in color, with a nice soapy white head that hung around for a few moments before settling to a thin cap leaving some sticky lacing. This is well balanced, light, and easy on the palate. Light malt backbone, with grassy, herbal, and fruity notes. Low bitterness. Finish is mostly clean, with a hint of lingering fruity sweetness. Quite flavorful and refreshing. Pick up some for your next barbecue or beach party.

Jul 18, 2018
B-3 from Ohio

3.21/5  rDev +23%

I'm not much on typical American lagers it's by no means a great beer compared to a craft IPA but by no means offensive, I would buy it again as a hot afternoon sipper/lawnmower beer.

Jul 10, 2018
RaulMondesi from California

3.12/5  rDev +19.5%

2.55? Raul ain’t gonna play Stroh’s like that. Is it the Katherine Hepburn of AAL? Does it walk into the room quoting Shakespeare like said legend in “Stage Door”? Nah. But what we have here is a perfectly fine b actor that hits her cues and gets her lines right. It’s all American Adjuncty, ya know, but not metallic and putrid like, well, you know.

Yep!

Jun 30, 2018
superspak from Michigan

3.81/5  rDev +46%

16 ounce can into lager glass, best before 5/28/2018. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a 1 finger dense and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of cracker, corn, white bread dough, and lightly toasted biscuit; with lighter notes of honey, nuttiness, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. A touch of fruity aromas, but not overwhelming. Nice and pleasant aromas with pale malt/corn and light earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, corn, white bread dough, and lightly toasted biscuit; with lighter notes of honey, nuttiness, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light honey/nuttiness, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness of pale malt/corn and light earthy hop flavors; with great malt/bitterness balance; and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Fairly crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with minimal fruity notes present. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and lightly sticky mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.5%. Overall this is a very good pale adjunct lager! All around nice robustness of pale malt/corn and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink with the mildly bitter/drying finish. Very flavorful and never watery for the ABV. Very clean and nicely rich malts/grains and solid earthy hop presence for the style. Not overdone on adjuncts, plenty of barley presence. A very enjoyable offering, and spot on style example. One of the absolute best AAL I've ever had for sure.

Jun 16, 2018
Hackattack from Indiana

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This is the first time I have had this since my high school days. I was always a Bud man in those days ( WAY before craft.. or micro ) and did not care for this then. Now it does not seem to taste all that bad. Of course it is what it is......an AAL.

Apr 04, 2018
ChickenTacos from New York

4.26/5  rDev +63.2%

I picked up a 30 pack of this beer at the local supermarket. It's delicious. The throwback yellow can is a nice touch, but the magic happens when the can is open and this savory nectar is poured down your arid gulch. It's the everyman's lager, but how can a person not love such a beer? So filled with Americana and pride was I that finishing this beer made me all misty.

Jan 31, 2018
OldSchoolMike from North Carolina

3.64/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my go-to beer while is was available in my locality. Cheap, as a beer should be, smells like a beer, tastes like a beer, and so on. Yes, the fire-brewed gimmick is probably not something that contributes to the taste, but the blue can is cool, and I have never regretted cracking one open. Perfect with a three-dollar frozen pizza for us poor folks, or for when you are hosting a big party and don't want to spend too much on the beer. I wish I could have one now. The last time I saw these is when I was in Michigan ten years ago. Glad to know that it is still around.

Dec 07, 2017
CHCAsheville from North Carolina

2.26/5  rDev -13.4%

I am rating this based on the Stroh's of my youth. Growing up in Western PA, Stroh's was actually a tastier, more malty beer than the other local offerings. And it definitely was sharper and more carbonated. It was a great beer for the 1970s.

Today, when I can have Bell's Two-Hearted Ale whenever I want, Stroh's seems more like a malty Canada Dry. I would only drink Stroh's today to take a trip down memory lane.

Additional comment: I would say that Stroh's of the 1960s-1970s was the Yuengling of the late 2000s-early 2010s. The beer to have after mowing the lawn, or a taste-upgrade to the usual dorm beer. I still have a couple of Yuengling's in the fridge... but they won't be replaced. Same with Stroh's. Too many other better beers.

Jul 08, 2017
daliandragon from Maryland

2.7/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I remember the commercials from my youth in the eighties just because they were so weird. I mean, what the hell does "fire brewed" mean anyway? There were a few people in college who drank it regularly but for me the only interesting fact about Stroh's was that it came in fifteen packs, before they were cool. Anyhoo, I'm reviewing it.

This looks okay but doesn't smell like much, just grainy and sour. It tastes bland but inoffensive. Honestly, for the style and price this is a solid, quaffable beer for camping, softball, or barbecues. Glad I rediscovered it.

Jun 18, 2017
dd53grif from Michigan

2.5/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought as a tribute to my youth (before there was craft beer). What's to review. A typical American lager. No better or no worse than the other mass-produced beers on the market. Positives are that it is readily available and, if it's cold, it goes down easy.

May 28, 2017