Stroh's | Pabst Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Mitchster on 08-24-2001

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

2.83/5  rDev +11.4%

Pretty average for a weekend-at-the-lake beer. Typical of American Macro Lagers in that it has a pronounced pilsner malt base that shows moderately high grain flavors, lightened body, straw colors and lacking head retention. A bit special in a lemon-zest, green apple skin, character that adds to the refreshing quality. Quite efforvescent on the toung and dry in the finish. Though not a great beer, I have had worse from some good craft breweries.

2.29/5  rDev -9.8%

It's probably been a few decades since I last had Stroh's, sneaking sips off of adult's beers at some backyard bbq function in the early 80's. There are still a couple old Stroh's signs around town, a relic of the past at neighborhood corner taverns like Mickeys.

Pale anemic gold, racing carb trails, feeble head that fades after the first sip to a broken patchy skim on the surface.

It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell good either. Swilly wet grains, manila folders.

Taste is astringent and watery, slightly harsh. Papery grainy "flavor" that's extremely hard to pick up. Bland and only slightly offensive. Has little redeeming value, it's not one of the better nostalgia macros out there, PBR is far better for a generic macro.

2.36/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a mini weizen/pint like glass.

Pours 1 finger of light off white head. Color is a clear straw yellow. Head fades down, but manages to leave some light lacing. Active carbonation in the glass.

Aroma: Grains, corn, and blandness. Some light grassy hops but not much here.

Taste: Pretty much identical to the nose. I really can't tell much of a difference other than it being slightly creamy.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, creamy, and blank. Lighter bodied with a larger amount of carbonation. Ends with some grain flavors. It also ends very dry.

Overall, there just isn't too much to write on a beer like this. Not a lot of flavors here, no surprise. Not something I plan on drinking again, but I could if I had to.

2.67/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.15/5  rDev +24%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains light malts, adjuncts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready with flavors of grain and barley along with the typical adjunct & light malt sweetness, but it not as sweet as other adjunct lagers and seems a little more balanced. The hops presence is mild but a bit complementary. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: More flavorful than most others in the style, goes down very easily, not too filling, mild kick, very good representative of a lackluster style, if I were forced to drink pick a beer in this style to drink, this one would be at the top of that list.

3.3/5  rDev +29.9%

Picked a sixer up in Mississippi while on vacation. Stroh's color is golden yellow with an average-sized head. Aroma is very light on the adjuncts, mainly a grassy sweet smell is noted. The taste is fairly average overall, but very good for a macro product. This is very smooth without adjunct nastiness. Stroh's flavor starts off crisp and finishes lightly malty. This probably the best macro I've had, just a little ahead of PBR. I wish I could get this in Houston, I would make it my standard lawnmower beer.

2.31/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

2.12/5  rDev -16.5%

CAN I do it? Yes, I CAN!

Wow, does this ever transport me to my misspent youth. Cans of Stroh's, purchased on the sly out front of the R&R Tavern or the Little Dutch Cafe, and surreptitiously consumed in various places around the city. Those were the days ...

Today, I got a rocky, bone-white head from the pour with good retention throughout. The color was a light yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. The nose was somewhat sweet, nowhere near as bitter as I remember it as being. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. There was very little flavor associated with this beer. It was very bland, even more than the Corona that I had consumed a little while previously. To think that this was what used to routinely kick my sixteen year-old ass ... No wonder my Pops used to laugh at all of us Bill Badass wannabes. The finish had a slight metallic aspect. I'm done with Stroh's after this. Short's on the other hand, now there's some good beer.

2.92/5  rDev +15%

Welcome to Macro Smackdown X, the tenth in my series of grudge matches between the 'less appreciated' members of the beer world. I've been looking forward to this particular matchup since the beers involved (Pabst Blue Ribbon is the challenger) are true classics of the style. It took a little effort to bring these bad boys together. I had to trade for the Stroh's and I had to go to Madison, WI for the PBR.

Lightly flecked rich golden amber topped by a soft, fluffy head of unpure white. The cap isn't as creamy or as sticky as it could be, and more importantly, isn't as creamy or as sticky as the cap on its competitor. It also falls more quickly and leaves less lace.

There's almost no difference in the noses. Stroh's smells of lightly sweet grain with a moderate amount of musky hops. There's no trace of the nastiness that is present in A-B's products, but that doesn't mean that the aroma is anything to write home about.

Actually, this is pretty decent beer for the style. I'm amazed at the difference between both of these beers and similar products from BMC. Pabst Brewing/Heileman Brewing blows the big boys away. The flavor is simple, grain-like, lightly sweet, modestly bitter and clean. Again, no hint of offensiveness. I'd never drink this stuff on a regular basis--even if it was available--but I'd pick it in a heartbeat over most other macros.

The body is light-medium and holds up well on the swallow. The word 'watery' doesn't enter into the mouthfeel equation at all. Nothing wrong with the carbonation; it's fine enough and subdued enough to get the job done without calling attention to itself.

I haven't yet entered the scores, but it looks as though Pabst Blue Ribbon will take the blue ribbon in Macro Smackdown X by a slight margin. That's not to say that Stroh's is a dog. If matched against almost any beer in the MacSmack series, it would probably emerge victorious. I'm surprised, and pleased, by both of these Old School brews.

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.83/5  rDev +11.4%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Oh, you'd better believe this is part of a Spelunky fest! It pours a clear yellow topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises corn and very light wheat. The taste holds notes of corn, flowers, and a slightly odd and vague sweetness. The body is quite light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, one of the better adjunct lagers I've had in a while, though still a good distance away from a truly good beer.

3.2/5  rDev +26%

Drank this from the can at a Christmas Eve get together. Usually I wouldn't review under these circumstances, but when else am I going to have a Stroh's handed to me.

The nose was grainy and a bit metallic, but there's a noticeable hop aroma. The taste is mildly grainy with a really nice grassy, earthy, bitter hop characteristic. There are also some fruity notes, but not necessarily off flavors. This is a very crisp, light beer that's a little heavily carbonated.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this. For the style the hops were impeccable. The grainy qualities were kept to a minimum and it was easy to drink.

2.69/5  rDev +5.9%

Stroh's in a can, why not let's do this...appears a golden clear bubbly quote, unquote beer look to it with large heavily carbonated bright white head floating above body dwindling at a moderate pace leaves some nice patches of sporadic lacing around my Duvel chalice...sorry Duvel. Aroma is heavy on the cooked veggie quality often described with these types of brews, mild corn sweetness something gives me the notion that there's just a touch of mild hop herbal quality going on which says alot when compared to most American light lagers. Taste not overly sweet definitely ridden with adjuncts but it's somewhat enjoyable combo of mild sweetness with corn and rice finish and a light herbal undertow of hop flavor not much bitterness of course but balanced and finishes with a touch of offness grainy/metallic combo...while the drinkability of this brew is solid all around "American" or "old timer" beer I'm proud to still be able to drink this over Bud, Miller, Coors just to be different, sometimes you get enjoyment with that as far as the mouthfeel goes it's light bodied heavy with the carbonation prepare to say excuse me honey...and yeah I know this one doesn't smell as good as my usual IPAs but come on our grandfathers drank a version of this beer.

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%