Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company

Reviews: 1,675 | Ratings: 5,392
Reviews by BrownNut:
2.11/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

This is a bad beer. When I was out of work and things were looking pretty bad, I had to stop buying good beer. I even tried to stop buying beer period. But after a while I wanted a beer so bad. So at the grocery store there was a deal on two fourpack tallboy cans for $6. Pretty nice. The beers to choose from were Miller High Life, Icehouse, and PBR. The first time, they were out of PBR and I got High Life and Icehouse. I didn't even like High Life in high school when I was a devotee of such fine brews as Miller Genuine Draft and Bud Light. It was worse than I remember. That's a crappy beer. The Icehouse was fine for that sort of thing. Not great, but ballpark quality. So the next time I was happy to see they had PBR. All of my friends had been drinking it during the hipster revival and they liked it so I thought I was in luck. Ohhh no. Oh no. Bad. Bad beer. It was worse than High Life. I don't know what people are thinking saying they love this beer. This is a gross tasting beer. It's on a level with Natural Light or Keystone or something else awful. Big disappointment. Won't drink it again.

3.65/5  rDev +21.3%

Presentation: 16 oz can with a white back ground, red and blue label colour. Hey red white and blue, how American. “Established in Milwaukee 1844” stated on the front, no freshness date.

Appearance: Head foams up quite big then quickly dissipates into a wispy white lace, brilliantly clear pale golden yellow hue seems a bit inviting.

Smell: Thin sweet malt and grain, touch of strained hops in the nose. Clean aroma slight grassiness from the grain also.

Taste: Light to moderate body, nice even crispness with a somewhat effervescent carbonation. The smooth mouth feel rides on the tail of the carbonation, thin malt palate. Kiss of hops, bitterness peaks after the crispness subsides and the dryness kicks in. Trace of alcohol hit the tongue and warms the mouth and throat. Hops stick to bitterness and provide no flavour other than a faint grassiness. Some corn grit flavour in the middle, not cooked grits but rather fresh milled grits. Clean palate throughout with a great wrap-up of dryness in the finish.

Notes: This is a great premium American lager, hands down beats the big three. About the same in the bottle but obviously better on tap. A perfect change up when things get a bit tedious and want to drink a simple beer.

4.4/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good ole PBR! If you want a cheap beer that's better than bud, coors or miller then it's PBR. Golden Yellow with a nice foam head. Tastes like high school prom and finger banging Mary Jane rottencrotch in the back of my Trans Am on a backroad in Oklahoma. I'd recommend this beer to anyone. $9 for a 12 pack and surpasses every beer in it's class.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Ok. This is not a top shelf beer. This stuff is cheap, corn-heavy adjunct lager. That being said, it's dang tasty when it's hot out, has a little more ABV than your run of the mill 3.2, and I love that when I bust one out, very few people swarm around to get their hands on one, making it an even better value! Pale yellow in color, It's got enough malty body to separate it from the miller/coors/bud barley pop, while still being easy to drink in quantity. No real discernible hoppiness, especially compared to my standard IPA/DIPA fare. Refreshing, but not a light beer. Taken for what it is, I believe it to be a great beer, when limited to class-comparison. I'm drinking one right now, as it's 85, sunny, and I'm grilling. Boom.

I'm white trash and I'm in trouble

2.95/5  rDev -2%

This is the best cheap beer for the money.

With its recent surge in popularity, it seems they've started selling PBR in big ol' 30 racks, instead of the standard case. Maybe this is old news, but today was the first time I saw a 30 pack... and for $12!

Poured into a glass, this beer isn't exactly easy on the eyes. It really doesn't even smell that much better than your average crap beer (if anything, it smells more like BEER than most macro crap, which usually tends to smell like water). It's the taste that is so surprising... a macro brew with HOPS in it! What a concept! Very crisp and refreshing. The corn flavor isn't exactly my thing, but it's not overwhelming. This is a very smooth drinkable beer.

As a college student, I'll admit that I've done my fair share of heavy boozin / session drinking. But I'm proud to say that when the wallet's feeling light, I make mine a Pabst.

I'll say it again: Pabst is the best cheap beer money can buy.

NOTE: PBR is the official beer of geologists.

2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

This is my default brew. If I'm not drinking craft I'm drinking PBR. Very nostalgic, and there isn't another beer on the gas station shelves providing more bang for your buck than PBR at 5 bucks for a sixer of tall boys.

4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

The reason for the high rating is because I am only comparing it against other American Adjunct Lagers (BMC beers). Coming from a hop head like myself, the first can of PBR is always a chore to swallow down but once I pop the top on beer 2, 3, 4, well you get the point, THIS BEER TASTES LIKE BEER SHOULD TASTE in its purest most basic form.

3.4/5  rDev +13%

For what this beer is and the intended audience you might as well call this champagne for hipsters and rednecks. That being said it might be the best easily obtainable American beer. Its a bit sweet smells like hay and is a session beer for the 8.95 to 11.95 range its pure gold.

4.27/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another good, honest American Lager. The reputation it has as a "cheap beer" is really a shame. In my opinion there's a big difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Either way, I'm glad it's getting a big revival.

1.12/5  rDev -62.8%

Light yellow color. The head is very large initially and retains fairly well considering it’s a macro. Unbelievably disgusting oceanic aroma (sea water, salt, seaweed) along with light grains and corn. Watery, corny flavor with hints of light grains and sauvignon blanc. Terrifying.

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this.

Putrid, unpleasant, stale. All words that fit the bill for this one. The worst of the AAL pile in my opinion.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

3.25/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

In my opinion, PBR has an undeserved bad rap. I find this to be an extremely easy drinking and refreshing beer...and it's inexpensive, you won't bust the bank or spend a tank full of gas looking for it! Something else going for it is the lack of that horrible "corn-grain" aftertaste so common in every other macro- brewed lager. The only real "negative" aspect PBR has is it's smell. Not sure what's going on there, it's not horrific by any stretch of the imagination, it's just a little off. I had never tried a PBR in my "formative" years, thinking it was more to my grandfather's liking...goes to show ya, there may be a reason some things stick around.

1.76/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

They won't be winning any blue ribbons with this one anytime soon. People will argue that this is an American classic. In reality- This beer is a watered down, flavorless turd.

It won a blue ribbon.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Classic. By far my choice among cheap, light lagers. Drink it cold, it is crisp with nice, slightly bitter flavor. It's great to drink a PBR every now and then when you just want something simple. Can't beat the price, less than a dollar a beer in Texas, and one of my spots has tall drafts for less than 2 bucks! Simply put, if you don't like PBR, I don't like you!

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hands down the best AAL I've drank to date! I can actually drink this stuff...& when the money's tight, its become my go to cheap beer! Much the same feel of a traditional AAL, but with a definite hop aroma, taste, & character.

3.29/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my go-to "shitty beer". Tastes decent and for the price I can't complain. Found everywhere. Good for beer pong and getting sloshed, but still having some flavor.

3.15/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. pint - $2.00 at Highlands Grill in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Clear, yellowish body with a thin, very short-lived, white head.

Smell: Very faint nose -- just a few hints of sweetish grain.

Taste: Sweet light pale malts with some creamy corn hints. Slight, slight graininess. A tad watery, as expected. Faint floral hops and bitterness. Finishes dry, clean, and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Acceptable! A counter-culture classic that's super cheap and provides just a bit of flavor (without hittin' you up with foul flavors).

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%

I been drinking "P-Berrs" for 15 off and on years. I drank Long Trail religiously for a while and tasted as many different imports as I could. Love OtterCreek Copper. I'm a Vermonter lol. I always come crawling back to PBR though. Its light and I love that, it does get bland after a while so I mix it up but its always available which rocks. It doesn't matter what time it is, great breakfast beer, lunch dinner middle of the night haha!

Its nostalgic, American and hands down better than BUD, I bought a 12ver of bud cause it was on sale yesterday and puked my way through it, Pberrs is so smooth and easy on the guts!

Cheers hipsters, grandpa's, blue collars, and budget boozers!

3.46/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My favorite ski beer....load up your backpack, find a tree well, and stash those brews to keep em' ice cold and tap that "keg" throughout the day!

Standard cheap mass produced beer...little head if poured properly, but, more often than not, you're killlin this brew out of the can in less than a minute so no pouring involved.

Smells of standard corn and grain of all cheap, "lets race to see who finishes first" brew-ha.

Out of all cheap brews, PBR is BY FAR the best in terms of flavor and body....actually has a decent slight bitter aftertaste.

It doesn't taste/smell/feel like much anything, but ya know what? It's Pbr. It is exactly what you expect and it's cheap and weirdly lovable. Don't expect to be blown away, by any means, but it's a staple in a weird way and I'll always have a dumb admiration for Pbr.

Why don't people understand that just because your dad and your dad's dad drank it doesn't mean its good. This beer shouldn't be shouldn't served, sold, or given away for free. This is pure butt pee in a can. Some one should petition congress and have there brewery shut down and burned. This a black eye on America's beer portfolio. I hate this beer.

3.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

To those whose taste buds have been jaded by a surfeit of hops, this may well taste like lightly carbonated water. But this is hands down the best American adjunct lager you can buy today. The King of Lawnmower Beers. The beer you buy for a party where people who know little about beer will be drinking beer. The beer you remember from high school and college. I wouldn't buy it or drink it on a regular basis. But when I need an American adjunct lager, this has go-to written all over it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company