Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)
2.94/5
Poor
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Ratings: 5,639 |  Reviews: 1,744
3.39/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Very light straw color. Pearl white head.

S: A touch of wet paper, maybe some cardboard

T: Not really much, crisp and dry with a hint of malt, no body just thin. Like drinking a glass of water that someone had a real beer in before.

M: Extra high carbonation-typical

O: Refreshing of sorts, dry finish, not a lot of flavor, good for a water substitute. Unfortunately a good style of what it represents.

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Drank straight from the 12 oz. can. The label assures me that "this is the ORIGINAL PBR Beer." I don't think I had any doubts to begin with hahaha... The label also declares that PBR was "selected as America's Best in 1893." 114 years later, I doubt that's still the case, but here goes...

Smell: Typical macro beery smell, but somehow seems "fresher" than your average BMC. I'm not a fan of macro smells, but this one is pretty unoffensive in that department.

Taste: Mmm Mmm Beer... But seriously you got your run of the mill grains in here, but again with a "fresh" sense. Hint of metallic flavor from the can. Not much of an aftertaste to speak of. A refreshing one on a long hot Tallahassee summer day. Sometimes a simple, not complex beer like this in nice to clear the mind...

Drinkability: I could put away a whole case of this stuff... and I probably have at some point. At 4.7% this stuff is like drinking water compared to some others I've had... Of course, that's probably the reason I have this beer gut...

Notes: It all comes down to price here... and for the price, this one is pretty damn good. It's a bit more than 50 cents per can at my local grocery store, and it's worth every penny. Perfect on gamedays before going into the stadium, I would take PBR over Bud, Miller, Coors, Schlitz, Milwaukee's Best, etc. etc. etc. any day. The Best of the Bad, PBR still reigns after all these years.

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Yellow, like darkish urine. Zero Head, lots of fizz coming form the bottom of the glass.

S - Clean, corn/grain... Some sweetness to the nose

T - Same as it smells, I wasn't expecting it to taste this good.

M - Again the fizz, but fits the style, went down pretty easy though.

D - I could drink this as a session beer if only BMC was on tap. I didn't walk into this beer thinking I could finish a pint of it... I was wrong.

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I drank quite a few P.B.Rs back in the 70s. After thirty years, I've, Just recently, revisited this beer. Except for a little bit of of the adjunct cereal debacle, its a pretty refreshing lager. The malts stand up to the corn invasion quite well. It's cheap and It's drinkable, some times that means a lot!

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can: a standard-looking white macro can. Pretty much what you expect from a major macro.

Appearance: pours a standard adjunct lager - clear yellow-amber with a fair ol' whack of head that fizzles away to a white half-finger. Decent.

Aroma: smells of the usual grain and light hop aromas, but with a small amount of fruits.

Taste: pretty much follows the nose - standard grains and hops with a small amount of fruit behind. A refreshing and decent lager.

Aftertaste: drops away fairly quickly as is standard for the adjunct lager style. Quite drinkable.

Mouth feel: plenty of carbonation as expected - a decently refreshing beer for a hot day.

Overall: I'm not entirely sure why this beer scored 'poor' - it's a decent, refreshing lager as good as any other standard macro, for a much lower price than many others. It isn't going to blow your socks off if you're after something special, but as an every day lager, it's pretty much unbeatable.

3.39/5  rDev +15.3%

Very pale yellow body with about a finger of head that quickly dissipates. Smells malty with a hint of hop. Tastes Sweet and watery. Not really noticing any hops here. Reminds me in some ways of Molson Ice in its flavor. Becomes somewhat more flavorful as it warms, but still fairly watery. Very drinkable, though. And very cheap. I would say this beats anything the Big 3 make (yes, I know Miller makes it now). I’m sure it’s better on tap than from the 16 oz can I’m drinking.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the quintessential all american lager, and has all the qualities you'd expect from one.

A: Poured into a glass it has a quickly dissipating head that leaves quite a bit of lacing while the head is leaving, and after it's gone. Nice and clean pale yellow coloring.

S: A sweet melange of malt and a sharp grain aroma.

T: A sharp graininess pushed by a sweetness that ends in a slightly hoppy flavor and dryness.

M: Medium consistent carbonation throughout.

3.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev +15%

Here it is - the beer that for some reason has been the gold standard of all college-aged hipsters around my school. Whatever their reasoning is - here's the break down.

A - Light yellow body, slight layer of head plus a lot of carbonation apparent.

S - Corn and adjunct. Just a lot of grains.

T - Some saturated maltiness, a lot of grainy action going on. The slightest hint of lemon zest.

M - Very light. Carbonation makes a big source of activity.

D & Notes - For a mass produced product, I have always been impressed with PBR. Could drink this all night, and at $7.99 for a 12-pack, I don't feel the slightest sense of cognitive-dissociation.

3.38/5  rDev +15%

Appearance - Pours a pale straw yellow into my SA Perfect Pint with over two fingers of white, fluffy head that dissipates at a moderate pace and leaves some pretty good looking lacing to be honest. [edit] Lacing disappears later on.

Smell - Grains, bready and sweet malts. That's about it.

Taste - Similar to the nose - only flavors I really notice are some sickly sweetness and grains and just a hint of malt.

Mouthfeel - Lighter bodied, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - No I'm not a hipster. No I wouldn't pick this beer over others to drink. However, when you are in the mood for just something that is refreshing, easily quaffable, and downright easy to drink...this is my beer. I would rather have this over pretty much any other macro, and for what it is, it isn't bad. Despite my liking good beer, I honestly do not like pairing some of my favorite styles (i.e. IPA, DIPA) with food at say a BBQ. There is normally just too much flavor for me while eating food, so PBR is a damn good beer to drink with good BBQ, and after I'm done eating I'll open up the good stuff.

3.38/5  rDev +15%

Pours the typical light yellow with the quickly disipating head. No surprises. Smell is really grainy with a hint of booze. Surprising for the low abv. Really pleasant and not too sweet in the taste. Kind of drying in the finish. Mouthfeel doesn't suffer from the typical prickliness of excess carbonation. This is really good if you want to drink at home/at the bar on the cheap and makes a good summertime refreshment.

3.38/5  rDev +15%

According to my BA profile... this is review #1000... wow. Why review PBR? I was going to do something epic and "white whale", but generally, I am holding all of those cellar collection bottles to share with my Boise homeboys. Honestly, I am reviewing PBR, because bottle for bottle, can for can, I drink more PBR than any other beer. Sierra Nevada Pale and Jubelale probably outweigh it lately, but that's just because the Chevron near my house has screaming deals better than any place in town... so anyway... enough philosophizing.. on to the brew.

24 oz huge tall-boy can picked up at Maverick for about $2.... poured into my Delirium goblet. Surprising 2 finger head... slinks back to a pretty descent cap... leaving nice drapes of white lace... the brew is polished pale gold.

Nose is grainy pale malts.. very clean.. hints of spicy hops??? probably in my imagination.

Flavor is every bit what you expect, but still somehow good/great for the style... a touch of sulfur reminds me how hard really pale clean lagers can be to make.

Body is light and carbonation is medium high... drinkablility is only a notch or two below water... Really great on 100+ days pushing the lawnmower or hanging out at the Symposion and playing Golden Tee.. but really.. for the most part, I must stop drinking this crap at home.

For what it is... it is good.. that said, I always say that "I am done drinking Pabst." If I do drink it, I drink too much and I'm not sure, but my intestines might have an allergy to the blue ribbon. :-)

With out a doubt... this is my favorite Macro... is this all grain?? any adjuncts?

4/3.5/3/3/4

3.38/5  rDev +15%

Pours pale gold with a typical head that dies down relatively fast. A few strands of bubbles are flowing to the top steadily. Smells somewhat grainy, a bit fruity, berry-like or microscopically floral even, close to skunky.

Taste is especially quenching at first because there is not too much malt sweetness in the beginning. Some mild bitterness, slightly floral, slightly skunky. Not sure how it could resemble skunk when it was in a can, slightly berrylike. Probably one of the better adjunct lagers just because it isn't too sweet. Light body and medium carbonation, feels quite nice. Drinks lighter than most adjunct lagers and not as sweet.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Best before Dec. 7, 2009 on the bottle. Single purchased at local health food store for $.89. "UNION MADE" on the attractive red, white, and blue label.

A-Pours a clear, pale golden hue with a two finger bright white foamy head the slowly recedes into a modest lacing.

S-Grainy malt, corn, and slight grassiness.

T-Lightly toasted malt sweetness and some bitterness.

M-Smooth, well balanced, crisp, and refreshing.

D-Very easy drinking, although somewhat lacking in taste. Beats BMC hands down.

3.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev +15%

I have got to be honest... I hated this beer when I first tried it. After trying other American macros, this one unquestionabally beats the others (Coors, AB, Miller). No, it is not the most complex beer out there, but if you want a decent tasting cheap beer, this is the beer for you. Perfect for a warm day...

I have often wondered what the original formula tasted like when it was actually brewed in Milwaukee, not San Antonio...Can anyone provide me with this information?

3.38/5  rDev +15%

This award-winning beer has been poured form a chilled bottle into a 12oz "pint" glass. The beer is a very clear straw color, with a good sized white foam head that dissipated quickly. There are plenty of carbonation bubbles rising up in the glass. This aroma is a yeast and some grain, probably corn. The taste is typical of the style, with plenty of sweet corn grain and other malts; the hops a non-existent to the point that the brewer may have forgot to include them. Although the carbonation is above average, it doesn't affect the mouthfeel negatively. There is a bit of coating and stickiness from the high sugar content, but it isn't too bad. I find PBR to be exceptionally drinkable, if I am in the mood for it. I don't get tired of it and usually only need to cut myself off when I know it's time to prevent a hangover. This is my go-to beverage when I'm out on the town and don't feel like spending much money. There is something reassuring knowing I can get a 16oz tall boy at nearly any bar in town; thanks hipsters!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into an old PBR goblet. Brilliantly clear pale straw color, very transparent. White head dissipates quickly and settles into a thin collar with a wispy island in the middle caused by the plum of carbonation that shoots up the middle of the goblet.

Aroma is a faintly sweet, untoasted grain with a faint hop scent. Flavor is more of the same. Good balance for a macro. Mouth feel is effervescent and light, plenty of carbonation. Did a great job of washing down some chips and salsa. Overall, my favorite macro and probably the only one I will bother to review.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured 12 oz. bottle into a tall straight-sided pilsner glass. The bottle has no date. Clear, pale yellow with 1/2" bubbly white head that dissipates relatively slowly while drinking, leaving no lace. Light malt with wet cardboard aroma. Crisp, light acidic initial flavor that transitions into a light bitter aftertaste that is short lived. Surprisingly not bad & relatively refreshing. It had a slightly funny off flavor as it warmed. Light bodied with dry texture and relatively active carbonation. I don't drink this style very often, but I found the PBR to be a decent summer beer that pairs well with a sandwich or burger and chips. Probably makes a good session beer and is not nearly as terrible as some beer snobs would have you believe.

3.38/5  rDev +15%

pabst blue ribbon has to be one of the best mass produced cheap beer around. There are many cheap beers out there that are just plain disgusting and horriable. pabst blue ribbion has a nicce feel to it when it, not much head to brag about. As for the flavor its not strong but its not too mild in hops and malt useage. i wouldnt pick this over a good flying fish or home brew but for $13.00 for a 30 pack this is your best bet.

12-oz can into Pilsener glass

A - 3 fingers white foam over a transparent body of straw yellow, medium/high visible carbonation

S - grain with a touch of grass

T - corny grain, grassy bitterness; just a clean adjunct lager

M - highly-carbonated light body

O - If you're looking for something simple and refreshing, PBR does the job.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an uninspiring, clear straw color with an impressive amount of frothy, cotton-like head.
Smells grassy, vegetal, corny.
Flavor is good for the style; highly vegetal, with the corn adjunct shining through. Sweet malt base, and, while not in the flavor, there is a buzz in the mouth which indicates the hops' presence.
Crisp and refreshing, if not highly remarkable.
Drinkability is high when cold, decreases along with the temperature.
This American lager has quite a cult following, but not much better or worse than its peers. Still, a good choice for the price, and a 12-pack in my refridgerator helps me space out my indulgence into better beer.

3.38/5  rDev +15%

I'm trying to to find that perfect party/summer/lawnmower beer, with value and taste in mind. I Re-tried budweiser recently and I have to say I enjoyed it, for what it is. But thats gonna be different review. Also enjoy Shlitz, making it my first review, but on to the Pabst! I'm gonna do this review while dinking the beer.

Serving style can poured into a frosty beer mug.

A: Straw yellow, one fingers worth of head, which stuck around for about a minute. Slight lacing

S: Not much of a smell, slighty grassy. Nothing offencive

T: Grassy, not malty at all, dry and crisp. Finshes clean with a lil' hop in there

M: Dry and bubbly, clean finsh

O: I like this beer, there's only a few I would say I dislike. It was quite refreshing, I wonder if my guest would mind enjoying Pabst at my next event? I'm gonna continue my quest for the perfect party/summer beer. Any sugestions are welcome

Plus I think a cooler full of Pabst, Shlitz, and maybe Blatz, would be a hit at a retro pool party or something

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company