Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,699 | Ratings: 5,462
3.34/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Clear pale gold with a head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Slight grassy smell, some hops and floral.

Taste: Sweet, then some simple bitterness with a lemony flavor, medium body.

Overall: I had this beer at a concert because the venue only served it. Found it to be average and was sort of a tough critic because I paid way over the top for a small 12 ounce can. But I was not a huge fan and if I am at picking up a cheap 12 pack, I will probably get something else.

Serving type: can

2.74/5  rDev -9%

st: Poured from a patriotic red, White & Blue can

a: Light piss yellow

S: Typical american lager smell

T: not too bad but you pay the price the next day!!!

M: Weak...very weak!!!!

D: refreshing on a hot day...but again,..you pay the price on the porcelin pony the next day!!!

1.4/5  rDev -53.5%

Im stunned that this beer has been getting decent reviews! I decided to give PBR a go When I was dead broke, and could afford little else. This is the only beer, I repeat, Only beer that has ever made me feel nauseated from the get go. Its also the only ever beer, that I ever poured down the sink, and felt sorry for the fish that were about to recieve it. I`d never drink it again even if I were facing poverty! Pours a pale straw color that I anticipated given that its a macro. Mouthfeel was below average. Drinkabilty simply felt horrible from the onset.

Avoid at all costs!

2.8/5  rDev -7%

No, PBR is not good beer. It is not bad beer. It has no color, really, no smell, and the only distinctive feature of the taste is a metallic piquant. Moderate carbonation and thin. Drinkability is fairly good: after all, it was made to be consumed easily. PBR has good street cred. Generations have relied upon it, and even in this era it has its uses: on a given night when one is tired and has the blues, and faces the convenience store dilemma of what kind of alcohol to imbibe, a 24 oz. PBR and a bag of peanuts is more than enough to help one cope.

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking PBR for years and it's a good, inexpensive beer. I love to order a bottle at my favorite local bar and try to guess the card under the cap to win a freebie.

Poured into a pint glass, the foamy head recedes fairly quickly with a small amount clinging to the sides. It has that familiar clear yellow color of an American Adjunct.

It has a mildly grainy smell but lacks any strong distinctive characteristics.

The taste is light and somewhat sweet with a mild hop finish. Pretty watery but still better than most comparable beers of this style. As far as American standard lagers it's surely above average.

It has a good mouth feel with just enough carbonation. Very drinkable and minimally filling. I could drink these all day (and have).

2.01/5  rDev -33.2%

I like everything about this beer except the way it tastes. Bottle or can appearance is in my top three for all time. Made in Wisconsin, originally, check. My dad drank it at the cabin, also in Wisconsin, when I was growing up. It just doesn't tast that good. I hate to admit it but its true. It is a decent lager if you don't have too many other options.

Nevertheless...PBR me ASAP !

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

As said before in other reviews... I judge this solely for what it is, an American Adjunct... that being said, this is a great beer when all you really want is a beer.. followed by another and so on.... light,crisp, refreshing,and it dosen't taste like that BMC swill.... Honestly, this is my go to beer when I need a break from all the great craft beers out there... It really puts me in sync with all the varieties available today...

2.99/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Had this beer as part of a special glass deal. I think maybe i'm spending a dollar for the whole package. Honestly, i'm not terribly familiar with pbr except that it is the preferred bev of hipsters in my area. I've had it maybe 2-3x in my life and i don't recall getting headaches from it, so that's a plus..
Again a nice glass special is on at this bar. It's decent looking glass. $4 for a pitcher i think i saw too. Seems like prices from eons ago.
The bartender filled my glass with a solid amount of beer in a glass that resembles a can of pbr. Cute. I couldn't smell a whole lot since its a pale lager. The first taste was very nutty. Kind of a roasted malt flavor since the beer is so thin. Not much more to the beer than that. Any interesting flavors seem to wash right away. I feel the tail end of the beer is where one is left with the remnants of an adjunct beer. This makes one want to immediately take another sip to get that lovely nutty flavor back to kill the corniness. I can see why people like this beer the same way people like to have spas with cold water blasted at them followed by hot water. It seems its the battle between the the nutty and the icky that the people love.
For me, if the finish was better it would be an absolutely lovely beer. Its very thin and just not something i want to regularly seek out. I won't avoid it unless i end up with a headache tonight of course. We'll see.

3.46/5  rDev +15%

In simple words this is just a straight up standard easy drinking beer. Its cheap wherever you go typically like 2 dollar drafts or 3 dollar 16oz cans at bars or clubs, and you are getting what you pay for.More tasty than the big three offerings and always hits the spot even more so with BBQ or a nice juicy burger. Good townie bar beer....

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is what I get when a place doesn't have and real good choices or if I'm running out of money.

A - Very light yellow.

S - Smells bitter. Not much else.

T - Tastes pretty much the same. A little bitter and not much else.

M/D - Very good for a cheaper beer.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Served in a 16 oz can while watching football on a Sunday afternoon.

Appearance - Pale yellow, with a white head that fades quickly.

Aroma - Not much there, some corn and mild grassy hops.

Taste - Clean, some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light, crisp, and refreshing. Definitely the highlight of this beer.

Overall, nothing complex here. But it is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers, and you can't beat the price ($2/can at this game day spot).

3.57/5  rDev +18.6%

PBR always impresses. Here is a very inexpensive beer that while very good in a bottle is even better on tap. When served at 40-45 degrees F. and drunk relatively quickly, PBR is one of the most satisfying warm weather brews bar none. It is head and shoulders better than the big 3 and is a cut above Molson Canadian Lager and many microw brews which cost significantly more money. The character is malty with nice smooth body and vanilla notes predominate. The hops are faint but pleasant, something unusal at this price point.

4.17/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my cheap beer and i am not even a hipster. I would prefer old style if it were more readily available but this is hard to beat for 15 bucks a 30. Its not dogfish head but if you are looking to knock back a couple after work for not to much cash you can do a lot worse than this.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Look, we can't always drink hand crafted deluxe microbrews, some times we need to mix it up, or maybe just get drunk. PBR is my "Getting-Trashed-and-Watching-Football" beer. As far as cheap beer goes, it tastes alright and is pretty smooth. The best thing about PBR is how much of it an average person can drink. I'm not saying that it is a weak beer, only that it flows smoothly, goes down easy, and stays down. Great for tailgating and drinking games, if you aren't feeling snobby and just want to pound some brews for the sake of doing so, go grab the Blue Ribbon!

1.8/5  rDev -40.2%

Did not like much of anything about the king of college beers PBR. Other than the fact it was very cheap and a fairly smooth drink, it was not a pleasant experience drinking my first and only PBR. The appearance was your standard yellow American lager but once poured had very little foam and basically looked like urine that had been sitting around for a while. Taste left a lot to be desired, one of the worst beers I've ever had to be honest. If you plan on getting drunk and don't want to pay much for it, then go for some PBR. If you actually want to enjoy your beer, I would recommend something else.

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%

Rarely pour PBR in a glass, but it was a light golden color like any other light beer, decent head that faded quickly. There's not a very strong scent that I've noticed to this beer, maybe a little...very little hoppy smell. Taste is ok. My favorite of the cheaper beers; and best tasting in my opinion. Nothing spectacular. Mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation. Overall If given a case I could drink it all day, especially on a hot day. Good and cheap, can't complain!

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

A I have no idea never seen it out side the can

S like cheap a** beer

T reminds me of the river on a hot summers day 110 F in
Socal at the river when I was just ** years old before I
knew what real beer tasted like but still when at the
river it has to be Pabst. I think every American will
stand with me behind this and most likely has the same
memories of this legendary crappy cheap beer!

M this is a a drink all day all night for days straight
beer ( at the river)

D please see mouth feel for description

side note: I know a guy who inherited a stand up bass for
a rockabilly band had a hole in the side of it and glues a
cut Pabst blue ribbon can to fill the hole kick ARSE MAN!
However I wont not even think about drinking this beer if
it was not a comfort food form memories long ago.

Serving type: can

2.84/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer is a quality beer if you aren't looking for anything special. A two finger head when poured, but that quickly disappears. When you drink it is tastes alright, but you will quickly discover that the after taste is the biggest downfall of this beer.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Ok. This is not a top shelf beer. This stuff is cheap, corn-heavy adjunct lager. That being said, it's dang tasty when it's hot out, has a little more ABV than your run of the mill 3.2, and I love that when I bust one out, very few people swarm around to get their hands on one, making it an even better value! Pale yellow in color, It's got enough malty body to separate it from the miller/coors/bud barley pop, while still being easy to drink in quantity. No real discernible hoppiness, especially compared to my standard IPA/DIPA fare. Refreshing, but not a light beer. Taken for what it is, I believe it to be a great beer, when limited to class-comparison. I'm drinking one right now, as it's 85, sunny, and I'm grilling. Boom.

1.07/5  rDev -64.5%

Tried this for the first time the other day, I know its been around a long time. Light, water with an off flavor. Not a good taste at all. Awful choice with all the new beer out there. Marketed on sale very cheap often. Not worth it even for its low price.

3.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

For the price it is very hard to rate this too critically. One of the cheaper beers out there and very popular in both the hippy community as well as the college core. Easy to drink as they aren't too skunky yet they do have a little metallic taste which isn't very good. Given the price I move it from 2.25 to 3.25 rating.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Very light straw color. Pearl white head.

S: A touch of wet paper, maybe some cardboard

T: Not really much, crisp and dry with a hint of malt, no body just thin. Like drinking a glass of water that someone had a real beer in before.

M: Extra high carbonation-typical

O: Refreshing of sorts, dry finish, not a lot of flavor, good for a water substitute. Unfortunately a good style of what it represents.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

I only gave this beer a two for the mouth-feel and the fact that I used to love this garbage. This is one of the smoothest beers in the world. (Or at least America) I loved this beer so much, I drank it all the time in college. I even had friends laugh at me for enjoying this while they were drinking Craft Beers and stuff. I loved the stuff. However, I noticed that the company must have done something to the recipe because over time it tasted awful. There was a skunky, garbage, and despicable feeling to the entire beer. It tasted like a bear pissed in my mouth. I don't drink it no more. It sucks.

2.67/5  rDev -11.3%

I can't really put my finger on it, but there is something off with this beer. The taste is just odd, and I can't exactly say why. It is not as rough going down as say, natural ice, but it is a far cry from most other pilsner beers. I picked it for two reasons. One, I wanted to get another review under my belt. Two, it's cheap. 11 dollars for a 30 pack is a good deal, but I would drink strohs first.

3.29/5  rDev +9.3%

a- Not very appealing. It looks like mountain dew.

s - smells like soda water, pretty much.

t- taste is actually not that bad. Very bready, grainy. Not the best beer in the world, but certainly not half as bad as bud light.

m- Mouthfeel is moderate. Not particularly thick or too watery.

d - VERY easy to drink. I finished off a 24 fl oz can in 3 minutes flat.

I just wish PBR had Budweiser's reputation, because it's much better. The color is about a shade darker, and it actually has some flavor to it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company