Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,692 | Ratings: 5,442
2.99/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Had this beer as part of a special glass deal. I think maybe i'm spending a dollar for the whole package. Honestly, i'm not terribly familiar with pbr except that it is the preferred bev of hipsters in my area. I've had it maybe 2-3x in my life and i don't recall getting headaches from it, so that's a plus..
Again a nice glass special is on at this bar. It's decent looking glass. $4 for a pitcher i think i saw too. Seems like prices from eons ago.
The bartender filled my glass with a solid amount of beer in a glass that resembles a can of pbr. Cute. I couldn't smell a whole lot since its a pale lager. The first taste was very nutty. Kind of a roasted malt flavor since the beer is so thin. Not much more to the beer than that. Any interesting flavors seem to wash right away. I feel the tail end of the beer is where one is left with the remnants of an adjunct beer. This makes one want to immediately take another sip to get that lovely nutty flavor back to kill the corniness. I can see why people like this beer the same way people like to have spas with cold water blasted at them followed by hot water. It seems its the battle between the the nutty and the icky that the people love.
For me, if the finish was better it would be an absolutely lovely beer. Its very thin and just not something i want to regularly seek out. I won't avoid it unless i end up with a headache tonight of course. We'll see.

3.46/5  rDev +15%

In simple words this is just a straight up standard easy drinking beer. Its cheap wherever you go typically like 2 dollar drafts or 3 dollar 16oz cans at bars or clubs, and you are getting what you pay for.More tasty than the big three offerings and always hits the spot even more so with BBQ or a nice juicy burger. Good townie bar beer....

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is what I get when a place doesn't have and real good choices or if I'm running out of money.

A - Very light yellow.

S - Smells bitter. Not much else.

T - Tastes pretty much the same. A little bitter and not much else.

M/D - Very good for a cheaper beer.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Served in a 16 oz can while watching football on a Sunday afternoon.

Appearance - Pale yellow, with a white head that fades quickly.

Aroma - Not much there, some corn and mild grassy hops.

Taste - Clean, some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light, crisp, and refreshing. Definitely the highlight of this beer.

Overall, nothing complex here. But it is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers, and you can't beat the price ($2/can at this game day spot).

3.57/5  rDev +18.6%

PBR always impresses. Here is a very inexpensive beer that while very good in a bottle is even better on tap. When served at 40-45 degrees F. and drunk relatively quickly, PBR is one of the most satisfying warm weather brews bar none. It is head and shoulders better than the big 3 and is a cut above Molson Canadian Lager and many microw brews which cost significantly more money. The character is malty with nice smooth body and vanilla notes predominate. The hops are faint but pleasant, something unusal at this price point.

4.17/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my cheap beer and i am not even a hipster. I would prefer old style if it were more readily available but this is hard to beat for 15 bucks a 30. Its not dogfish head but if you are looking to knock back a couple after work for not to much cash you can do a lot worse than this.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Look, we can't always drink hand crafted deluxe microbrews, some times we need to mix it up, or maybe just get drunk. PBR is my "Getting-Trashed-and-Watching-Football" beer. As far as cheap beer goes, it tastes alright and is pretty smooth. The best thing about PBR is how much of it an average person can drink. I'm not saying that it is a weak beer, only that it flows smoothly, goes down easy, and stays down. Great for tailgating and drinking games, if you aren't feeling snobby and just want to pound some brews for the sake of doing so, go grab the Blue Ribbon!

1.8/5  rDev -40.2%

Did not like much of anything about the king of college beers PBR. Other than the fact it was very cheap and a fairly smooth drink, it was not a pleasant experience drinking my first and only PBR. The appearance was your standard yellow American lager but once poured had very little foam and basically looked like urine that had been sitting around for a while. Taste left a lot to be desired, one of the worst beers I've ever had to be honest. If you plan on getting drunk and don't want to pay much for it, then go for some PBR. If you actually want to enjoy your beer, I would recommend something else.

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%

Rarely pour PBR in a glass, but it was a light golden color like any other light beer, decent head that faded quickly. There's not a very strong scent that I've noticed to this beer, maybe a little...very little hoppy smell. Taste is ok. My favorite of the cheaper beers; and best tasting in my opinion. Nothing spectacular. Mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation. Overall If given a case I could drink it all day, especially on a hot day. Good and cheap, can't complain!

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

A I have no idea never seen it out side the can

S like cheap a** beer

T reminds me of the river on a hot summers day 110 F in
Socal at the river when I was just ** years old before I
knew what real beer tasted like but still when at the
river it has to be Pabst. I think every American will
stand with me behind this and most likely has the same
memories of this legendary crappy cheap beer!

M this is a a drink all day all night for days straight
beer ( at the river)

D please see mouth feel for description

side note: I know a guy who inherited a stand up bass for
a rockabilly band had a hole in the side of it and glues a
cut Pabst blue ribbon can to fill the hole kick ARSE MAN!
However I wont not even think about drinking this beer if
it was not a comfort food form memories long ago.

Serving type: can

2.84/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer is a quality beer if you aren't looking for anything special. A two finger head when poured, but that quickly disappears. When you drink it is tastes alright, but you will quickly discover that the after taste is the biggest downfall of this beer.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Ok. This is not a top shelf beer. This stuff is cheap, corn-heavy adjunct lager. That being said, it's dang tasty when it's hot out, has a little more ABV than your run of the mill 3.2, and I love that when I bust one out, very few people swarm around to get their hands on one, making it an even better value! Pale yellow in color, It's got enough malty body to separate it from the miller/coors/bud barley pop, while still being easy to drink in quantity. No real discernible hoppiness, especially compared to my standard IPA/DIPA fare. Refreshing, but not a light beer. Taken for what it is, I believe it to be a great beer, when limited to class-comparison. I'm drinking one right now, as it's 85, sunny, and I'm grilling. Boom.

1.07/5  rDev -64.5%

Tried this for the first time the other day, I know its been around a long time. Light, water with an off flavor. Not a good taste at all. Awful choice with all the new beer out there. Marketed on sale very cheap often. Not worth it even for its low price.

3.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

For the price it is very hard to rate this too critically. One of the cheaper beers out there and very popular in both the hippy community as well as the college core. Easy to drink as they aren't too skunky yet they do have a little metallic taste which isn't very good. Given the price I move it from 2.25 to 3.25 rating.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Very light straw color. Pearl white head.

S: A touch of wet paper, maybe some cardboard

T: Not really much, crisp and dry with a hint of malt, no body just thin. Like drinking a glass of water that someone had a real beer in before.

M: Extra high carbonation-typical

O: Refreshing of sorts, dry finish, not a lot of flavor, good for a water substitute. Unfortunately a good style of what it represents.

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

I only gave this beer a two for the mouth-feel and the fact that I used to love this garbage. This is one of the smoothest beers in the world. (Or at least America) I loved this beer so much, I drank it all the time in college. I even had friends laugh at me for enjoying this while they were drinking Craft Beers and stuff. I loved the stuff. However, I noticed that the company must have done something to the recipe because over time it tasted awful. There was a skunky, garbage, and despicable feeling to the entire beer. It tasted like a bear pissed in my mouth. I don't drink it no more. It sucks.

2.67/5  rDev -11.3%

I can't really put my finger on it, but there is something off with this beer. The taste is just odd, and I can't exactly say why. It is not as rough going down as say, natural ice, but it is a far cry from most other pilsner beers. I picked it for two reasons. One, I wanted to get another review under my belt. Two, it's cheap. 11 dollars for a 30 pack is a good deal, but I would drink strohs first.

3.29/5  rDev +9.3%

a- Not very appealing. It looks like mountain dew.

s - smells like soda water, pretty much.

t- taste is actually not that bad. Very bready, grainy. Not the best beer in the world, but certainly not half as bad as bud light.

m- Mouthfeel is moderate. Not particularly thick or too watery.

d - VERY easy to drink. I finished off a 24 fl oz can in 3 minutes flat.

I just wish PBR had Budweiser's reputation, because it's much better. The color is about a shade darker, and it actually has some flavor to it.

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

When I drink PBR, I like to pour it into a goblet for comedic value. You would be surprised at the head you get on this most unlikely of beers.

I then pretend to be a pretentious coinsurer and enjoy all that great corn flavor courtesy of the cheap adjuncts they brew with. I sip from my goblet slowly and reflect on life's gifts to me.

But seriously, for $4 a six pack, you could be doing a lot worse.

3.13/5  rDev +4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Where do we begin. The memories abound in my mind of wonderful times and this satisfying beverage. I drink this when I'm rich, sober, poor, and drunk. It has never failed to satisfy me. She never tastes as nasty as fish, given bad head, or failed to pleas. Three important ways this beer is better than other beers. While not spectacular in any specific way, as a total experience it proves to be more than the sum of its parts. This beer is my best friend, always there to console me. I know people who hate it, and those who love it. It is the beer for the open-minded, just as is the bud light for the closed.

Hail to Pabst!

3.94/5  rDev +30.9%

Love this stuff! Cheap, but a hella lot better than any other American Lager! (i.e Buttwieper) I just picked up a 30 pack (times are tough) and was pleasantly surprised by the familiarity from my college days. It's been a while, but I have to say for a cheap beer, this stuff delivers....

3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

I figured it fitting to review PBR as my first beer, because it is my fall back when I have no liquid funds for good beer.

Appearance: Light yellow, decent head, lacing non-existent. Nothing special here.

Smell: Pretty weak smell, but pick up hints of corn, hops, and malt.

Taste: It tastes similar to the smell. Subtle flavors of hops and malt that balance out pretty good. It is definitely not the strongest tasting beer in the world, but hey it's 15 bucks a 30-pack.

Mouthfeel: Think BMC, pretty similar to the big three.

Drinkability: This is where I feel PBR shines. The smooth, balanced, and not overly-strong PBR can be drank in the dozens. Great for tail-gating, block parties, and basically situations where you will be drinking all day.

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%

Pabst gets such a bad rap -- but then when you ask people who bag on it if they've ever tried it...

This was a stray 24oz can found in a grocery store. Haven't seen a 24oz PBR before or since. Nice, light gold color. Good head which lasted. The taste was very good, except for a slightly soapy tinge that remained constant throughout the session.

Gotta love bars that have Pabst on tap. It was the house beer of Kleine's, the best damn bar that Fremont, California will ever know -- and is still available at Golden Boy pizza in San Francisco's North Beach.

If you haven't had a Pabst, please withhold judgement until you tried it.

3.47/5  rDev +15.3%

I don't know how people can give low ratings to a beer that was awarded a blue ribbon. Blue! Not red, not yellow... I mean, c'mon!

Serving type: poured from can to mouth. Seriously, I don't know what it looks like, and I don't care.

Speaking of serious, now I will be. Serious. This beer surprised me. I like a good macro lager now and then. Particularly when I'm broke. It's called rationalization.

Anyway this one's not bad. At all. This is what I imagine macro lagers all tasted like back in the day. Cold, yes. Watery, yes. But there is some flavor here. I wouldn't call it hops exactly, but something. Something more than your typical BMC.

This has officially replaced Old Style as my cheap lager of choice. How's that for high praise?

1.53/5  rDev -49.2%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR!

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company