Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,716 |  Reviews: 1,766
3.17/5  rDev +8.2%

PBR. Can't hate. It's actually not bad. I think this is up there for my favorite American Adjunct Lager. I mean, if you're gonna go on the serious cheap, then you can do a lot worse than PBR.

I enjoyed this in Prospect Park when it felt about 35 degrees outside after a game of touch football. Bunch of old geezers running around pretending its still the glory days.

Beer's light in appearance, about average head that dissipates. Moderate carbonation, straw colored. Smells like... well, corn I guess. But maybe a hop or two come through. Tastes a bit sweet, a bit like a hop, and mostly like water.

In the mouth it's pretty weak, but yeah, that's what we're expecting here. And that's why it's drinkable. Because it's easy-going water. I'd rank this above a LOT of cornerstore alternatives, and it may become a beer I drink often.

Every day I get more hipster.

3.03/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The taste is better than most American lagers (Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.) It's very drinkable. The flavor includes a mild hop bitterness, something you don't notice in a lot of cheap lagers. There is also a bit of grainy flavor in the middle, mostly corn. It's a pale yellow color when poured, and it doesn't retain it's head at all. Carbonation isn't too strong. It's pretty crisp, and it has a pleasant mouthfeel.

Overall this is a great beer to drink with your friends. It's had a surge in popularity lately, but the prices are still reasonable. I'd take this over most mass produced American lagers any day.

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

2.5/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.75/5  rDev +28%

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

1.82/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Gave me the shits! Never again will I get this beer

It mostly tastes like nothing.

1.83/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Sickly yellow , boasting low, thin carbonation that poured with a finger of head that did not lace or retain very well.

Smell: It certainly has an acidic funk to it with an odd hard water smell backing it. Warming didn't really help or hurt it, but I wouldn't say it's appetizing in the least.

Taste: It starts with a sweet, swampy corn taste that builds and builds and ends with a brief earthy hop twang. That's really it, nothing too out of the box on this one.

Mouthfeel: It's got an acidic texture to it that is undesirable but other then that it's alright, the carbonation is ok and doesn't fall flat for a good long while. It does cloy a bit after a while.

Drinkability: That acidic tone really hurts my desire to get this stuff down, and doesn't quite settle right. It's also very uninteresting so it's really not something I want to continue drinking for any purpose other then getting smashed.

Final Thoughts: I finally found out why South Park lampooned this beer, but remain oblivious at how this has suddenly become a "hipster" beer. It's pretty much a slapped together cheap lager, which I wouldn't really wish upon anyone.

2.52/5  rDev -14%

Needed a cheap beer to drink over the ensuing week, so I picked up a case last Saturday. Have had this one what seems like a million times or more. Oh's my review:

A: Very clear beer with frothy, 3-4 fingers white head. Lots of carbonation. Looks a light golden, almost a light piss yellow color. For what it's worth, it doesn't look quite bad.

S: Not one of the better qualities. Smells grainy. Maybe like rice, but most likely corn adjuncts. I get no noticeable aroma of hops. I do pick up the metallic can aromas.

T: Very bland tasting lager beer. Likely do to the adjuncts. Makes it very easy to drink, but definitely not something you want to savor and sip. For obvious reasons, this one is geared for the pounding session to get hammered. This is actually more like a seltzer water.

M: Very light tasting but with excellent carbonation (hence the seltzer reference). This one is more to wet you whistle, not one to sip and marvel at the complexities.

D: A very drinkable beer mostly because it does not offend or challenge any expectations, preferences, or real intriguing taste qualities. This one is good for tailgating or for the occasion when the wallet is light or the credit card balance is too high. I grew up with this one through college, so I do give it props in this category.

Final note: I wish all of the "hipsters" didn't try and make this beer their own. This was definitely one of my fallback beers....the one I turned to when I was poor and didn't know anything about craft brews. I actually would drink this one a tad more, but the damn hippies, posers, and alternative/emo crowd had to come along and ruin it.

2.7/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was alittle short on cash, so I found a canned sixer for $3.29. I also liked the red-white-&-blue history of this brew, meaning its been around forever. It poured a pale yellow clear straw color with a white head that in some of cans disappeared to not even a film. Carbonation was not overdone, not fizzy. The taste was mild or bland. Not much in hop or malt taste to say anything overpowered this brew. It wasn't as crisp as I would like for a july lawnmower brew. Mouthfeel was not left to dry. Over-all an easy drink if you like a light body brew.

2.25/5  rDev -23.2%

3.24/5  rDev +10.6%

2.1/5  rDev -28.3%

Well, it was one of those nights when I decided: what the heck. Might as well see for myself what is up with this one.

Pale Golden in color, no head, which means no lacing. Overwhelming 'sweet' smell.

I thought it was basically tasteless, perhaps there was a refined 'grainy' taste. I thought I also detected a slight malty aftertaste.

What I really didn't like was the excessive carbonation. I think this is what people mean by the 'fizzy' in the oft-overused phrase 'fizzy yellow beer.'

While I wasn't impressed with this beer, I can honestly say it wasn't the worst beer ever. If you want tasteless yellow carbonation then go for it. I think the reason I can't say it was the worst ever, is that while it had no flavor, it also didn't have any strange off-tastes.

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

2.56/5  rDev -12.6%

2.99/5  rDev +2%

Expires December 19 2011

Can into pint glass

A - A very light yellow, but crystal clear body with some white head that has impressive staying power and lacing. That said, it's a very ugly head, looking a bit like contaminated bleached sea foam. The color of the beer seems about right for the style.

S - Neutral grains, vanilla, nutty, touch of apple tartness. I don't particularly like it, but it seems about on-par with most AAL's I'm aware of.

T - Pretty much like a watery version of the smell. Light grainy flavors. Superbly boring, pretty inoffensive, but not good.

M - thin, smooth, a bit dry.

O - I drink this once in a while because it's cheap and not BMC.

Incredible hop aroma balanced by a fantastic malt bill. Hints of delicious tropical fruits hand picked by god himself. This beer is best aged 5 years in a climate controlled cellar for best results. 5/5!!!

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company