Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,699 | Ratings: 5,462
2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

On tap at a Irish Pub in Philly, been meaning to get back to this one for a bit.

A- PBR is a crisp light yellow color with just the faintest little cap i've ever seen, it eventually goes into nothing leaving a desd looking drink.

S- Corn and grain, no more no less.

T- There is more flavor in here than I was expecting but it isnt much more than some grain and corn, some sweet malts.

M- Not as lively on tap but I am unsure on the bar that was serving it, who knows how long this was sitting in the line. Below medium bodied.

D- I think I would enjoy this more out of a can, the appeal of this went away after 6 oz or so. Did not finish my pint.

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from 16oz pounder into a Pilsner glass. I've had plenty of PBR in my day, I'm glad I've finally gotten 'round to reviewing it.

Appearance: very light, pale golden hue with lots of effervescence and three fingers of fluffy white head. Not great, but middle of the road for the style.

Smell: your basic wet grain aroma. It is pretty light though, which isn't such a bad thing, and it is not terribly offensive as beers like this tend to be.

Taste: extremely light flavor, but again, not much to be offended by. There's slightly more malt than grain flavor, and there does appear to be a little bit of an earthy hop bitterness toward the end. It's light, but I feel like it's there. You could do a hell of a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: very light, watery body with not much to recommend it. Carbonation seems low and there's nothing interesting going on in the sensation area. Easily the worst part about this beer.

Drinkability: not half bad for an adjunct lager without a lot of flavor. I'm actually finding this beer rather refreshing; I'm sure I'll have still more tailgating tomorrow.

I know it's not advocacy to consider "cold" a good flavor in a beer, but it seems to go well with the one and only PBR.

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%

The beer comes in a light crystal clear golden color.

There is not much of an aroma, which is good to avoid offensive adjunct lager qualities. Sweet grain, corn, and musty hops.

The flavor is sweet corn, grainy cereal malt. The beer has a decent bready malt backbone that makes it arguably more significant of a brew than Bud, Miller, Coors.

3.38/5  rDev +12.3%

According to my BA profile... this is review #1000... wow. Why review PBR? I was going to do something epic and "white whale", but generally, I am holding all of those cellar collection bottles to share with my Boise homeboys. Honestly, I am reviewing PBR, because bottle for bottle, can for can, I drink more PBR than any other beer. Sierra Nevada Pale and Jubelale probably outweigh it lately, but that's just because the Chevron near my house has screaming deals better than any place in town... so anyway... enough philosophizing.. on to the brew.

24 oz huge tall-boy can picked up at Maverick for about $2.... poured into my Delirium goblet. Surprising 2 finger head... slinks back to a pretty descent cap... leaving nice drapes of white lace... the brew is polished pale gold.

Nose is grainy pale malts.. very clean.. hints of spicy hops??? probably in my imagination.

Flavor is every bit what you expect, but still somehow good/great for the style... a touch of sulfur reminds me how hard really pale clean lagers can be to make.

Body is light and carbonation is medium high... drinkablility is only a notch or two below water... Really great on 100+ days pushing the lawnmower or hanging out at the Symposion and playing Golden Tee.. but really.. for the most part, I must stop drinking this crap at home.

For what it is... it is good.. that said, I always say that "I am done drinking Pabst." If I do drink it, I drink too much and I'm not sure, but my intestines might have an allergy to the blue ribbon. :-)

With out a doubt... this is my favorite Macro... is this all grain?? any adjuncts?

4/3.5/3/3/4

3.04/5  rDev +1%

Had a PBR recently at a party after not drinking this for years and years and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Has a decent head without a lot of retention or lacing. Clear and yellow colored. The nose was probably the worst aspect of this beer; there was just something unpleasant about it that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. Grassy, corn aroma, vaguely bitter, slightly skunky and rotten.

The taste was actually pretty good, much better than the standard AAL, BMC flavor by a good margin. Lightly sweet, a touch of bitter grassy hops, adjuncts aren’t too overpowering. Nothing too big or interesting but easy to drink and fairly pleasant to boot. Clean and crisp. Mouthfeel was light with a dry finish.

I’m not gonna grab a PBR if any sort of decent craft is offered instead but I’d definitely drink this one before a bud, coors, or miller to be sure. Hey, you could do worse!

Pours a clear light golden brew, I expected less.

Smell is slightly sour yeast and mild malt. This has a light floral aroma and a pleasant grain smell.

Taste is mildly sweet and clean, and a touch of sourness. Mild hops present. Not great but a solid beer.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly present and not bad.

Drinkable beats Budweiser any day.

3.74/5  rDev +24.3%

24 oz. tall-boy can,

A: Pours a typical, pale yellow lager colour, but the head is really nice and leaves some nice lacing in a pint glass.

S: Light, typical of a macro lager, but still more robust and has more substance than average, mainly of malt and corn.

T: A very good taste for a macro, a simple malt and corn flavour, with a hint of hops that's easy to drink.

M: Very good, again for a macro, medium-bodied, not over carbonated, creamy and smooth.

D: A great example of a macro lager, my favourite of the style so far, much better and tastier than BMC.

1.45/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I'm sorry, but it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the new found "hipness" of PBR.

The beer pours a light gold color with virtually no head retention or lacing. Eeeeehaaaa!!! We be in for one fine tasting beer here. On the nose... nose??? aroma??? What in the hell are we talking about? I get nothing, other then a hint of seltzer water and corn. At least there aren't any off aromas, so I guess I should be thankful for that. As for flavor, there is almost none. I highly recommend that you drink this as cold as you can get it, preferably somewhere close to freezing. There is some corn and seltzer water on the palate, though again, I get no off flavors. Mouthfeel epitomizes the expression "watery." Yeah baby, we're talking lawn mower beer here. Ideally this beer should be consumed in 100 degree weather, served ice cold, and consumed only after 4 or 5 hours of yard work. Drinkability? Hey, I love a good joke as much as the next guy. There is nothing enjoyable about drinking this swill, and the fact it has become trendy of late doesn't change that one bit.

This is a terrrible beer, and the fact there is worse out there doesn't make it any more deserving of praise. Absolute swill. As one complimentary reviewer mentioned, the empties are great for target practice the next morning. Frankly, I can't see any reason to make them empties. Full of beer or empty, target practice is all cans of this swill is good for. Don't kid yourself with the hype. This is not even remotely close to decent beer.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

This beer is an old friend from long ago and when I saw it on tap at the Burger Bar (Las Vegas) I had one for old times sake.

Not sure about other beers in this style (on tap) because I don't come across any, but this looked fine, golden, bright and clear, with a good white head on top.

No real aroma to get your nose round, hints of a hop maybe, but gets my regular score of three for a non-smelling lager/pilsner.

Refreshing and thirst quenching, just like a lager should be, ideal throat cleaner before I hit the bars heavy brews.

I enjoyed it, brought back a couple of memories of drunken sports fields and tins laying around, happy days.

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

From the 24 fl. oz. can marked JUN1410-F08011537. Sampled on Aug. 30, 2010. Presentation: the omnipresent blue ribbon splashed across the can with a carbonated yellow pour and a good half-inch head that sticks around for a few minutes. The aroma is corny and grassy with a faint maltiness and fresh but thin hoppiness. The taste is a great traditional adjunct lager with corn, rice, and a faint bite of hops to perk your senses. When you want to have a BEER beer, PBR is the way to go.

2.68/5  rDev -11%

A: Pours pale golden with a medium crystal-white light head that sonks quickly, leaving no lacings.

S: Rice and some bitterness. But this is light. Smells a bit like white soft bread.

T: Rice and artificial bitterness. Some citric notes. Candy-like sweetness, marzipan is usually not a quality sign.

M: Short and very sweet aftertaste, perhaps with some toasted notes. Body is light to medium, while carbonation is rich, but rather smooth.

O: An Adjunct lager is a light experience, this one is a little more interesting than most.

24oz can at the Wintersun concert at House of Blues LA on 11/29/2012. I paid $10 for this. Drinking it out of the can so who knows what color it is. Smells like rice, corn, and pils malt. A little metal. Taste is inoffensive. Sweet and corny adjunct lager with grainy notes. Tame bitterness. Not terrible but I wouldn't recommend paying $10 for 24oz. This is difficult for me to rate. To style it's spot on, but it's a wretched style.

2.8/5  rDev -7%

What can I say? I used to get these for a buck at my old job (the pint cans), so I never bothered to look or smell it (hence the halfway grade of 2.5). There's an actual smooth beer in that can, w/ just a perfect mix of all cheap American macro lager ingredients other than alcohol and water - the grains, hops, hint of barley. For its price range and quality compared to its peers, it is a quality beer and will bring back some memories of days that have passed.

2.27/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a four-fingered white head that quickly fades to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear, very pale amber color. Light carbonation and light bodied. Malty nose. Flavor is honey, very one-dimensional, hops are hidden, works as a lawn mower beer. $1.75 for a 12oz bottle from Barb's Beer Emporium Concord, NH.

2.93/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Pours a faint straw yellow color with a large with head and lively carbonation rising to the top. Not much going on in the nose except for some grain and some faint hops. The taste is much like the smell in that it is pretty clean and crisp. Not much going on in the smell or taste, but it is one of the better macro lagers. I would take this over the "Big 3" any day on both taste and price.

3.4/5  rDev +13%

12 oz can purchased in San Francisco. It was cheap, and I'd never tried it before. What to make of the original hipster beer.

Pours a clear and bright golden colour, with a fine head of white that feels a little weak and insubstantial. Plenty of carbonation which forms at meny different nucleation points on the glass, streaming in small-bubbled rivulets up the inside of the glass. Lace is solid, body is light, as is to be expected. Not bad all up.

Nose is clean and crisp, without any of corn and cereal adjunct aromas I was expecting. Instead, we have a light greenness, like mildly sweet clipped grass, and a touch of fruity esters, giving an almost kristalweizen banana or bubblegum character. It's all very mild, but it's quite clean, and rather refreshing.

Taste is weak, but again, exceptionally clean and light. Smooth, mild, pale grain character on the front, which wanders off and gets lost in nothingness, leaving some seltzer water on the back, a very mild bitterness and a faint tingle of carbonation. The feel is actually rather smooth, and certainly on the low end of the carbonation spectrum, which is rather pleasant.

Extremely easy to slug down, and despite the simple and somewhat lacklustre palate, it stays far from being pedestrian or offensive. Sure, it's not a great, interesting, or exciting brew, but it's actually a pretty smooth ride, and all things considered, a relatively enjoyable one.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

Pours a pale, straw yellow color, no head, and no carbonation. Aroma is a grassy, sweet malt aroma and not much else going on here. Flavor is dank grains, light sweet malt, and very grainy. Mouthfeel is very prickly on the tongue yet finishes very crisp.

I can't even believe I'm reviewing this beer, but had it this past weekend and wanted to try something new and different. This is a beer my dad drank for years and I wonder if anyone would even consult these reviews when buying PBR. Therefore, I question why I'm writing a review for this. I think this would be a great lawn mower beer in the summer time and quaff it down on hot day in place of water. In fact, I'd definitely take this over water...

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Best by May 23, 2011.

Straw gold pour with a small head of foam, initial lacing is okay.

Corny and grainy smell, some sweet notes but not much in the way of bitterness.

Corn is in the flavour with grain, mild sweetness, milder bitterness. Nothing offensive and surely quaffable. This is the first time I've had PBR in bottles in years. I think I prefer it in cans..

2.76/5  rDev -8.3%

From tap to shaker glass at Fast Eddie's on 4/29/11
*From notes

A: Caffine induced urine in color. .5 finger head, zero lacing.

S: Boiled corn husk.

T: Sweet green apple, canned corn and cereal grains. Zero alcohol is detected by my palate.

M: Like butter - it's just slick and slides right on down my gullet.

O: When in Rome. While sitting in a pool bar next to the mechanical bull I figured, "What the hell?" I slipped into hipster mode and ordered up an ice cold PBR.

This certainly isn't the first macro I reach for, but it's one of the better session AAL's out there. If you're in the mood for an adjunct, you could certainly do a hell of a lot worse.

500ML can poured into a pint glass

Appearance - pours a pale golden yellow with a fair size head that can be achieved by an aggressive pour. Seems to have a fair amount of carbonation. Minimal lacing.

Smell - breads and grains, hops and yeast.

Taste & Mouth - Lots of carbonation comes through, some hops and barley. Slight citrus/floral notes.

Drink - For the price, this beer isn't half bad. Not something I'd drink all the time, but decent in a pinch.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear bright yellow body with a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles. There is a egg shell colored bubbly head that last for a short bit.

S- The smell of dry sulfury pale malt has a slight green hop aroma and a faint field corn note that comes through as it warms.

T- The taste of dry raw grain is crisp with a sulfur spice note that has a slight sweetness to it similar to the taste of a good Kolsch. That soft sweetness blends to the green noble finish.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel and a tight fizzy finish.

D- Wow I was expecting this to be a punishment to my taste buds but it was actually refreshing. The smooth light flavor had some nice balance and some interesting notes to it. I would order this in a bar if they didn't have any better beer, as opposed to just going for the gin.

1.87/5  rDev -37.9%

I poured some Hipster Deluxe into a glass to evaluate the visual components, drank the rest from the can like one of the cool kids. Poured a clear urine yellow with a sharp white head that immediately dissipated, leaving no lacing.

The aroma was slightly sweet, with grain and grass most prominent, not totally bad smelling. The flavor was very neutral, almost no flavor of any kind. I was expecting corn, grass or grain of some sort. Maybe that's why so many drink this beer, it has no flavor.

As expected the body was nearly non-existent. The beer was very drinkable, in the same way water is. Avoid this beer.

2.85/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Well a lot of people like to save a special beer for their ___ review. So here, for your pleasure, review 2000 from rodbeermunch, you get the veritable classic, PBR.

I guess this one some blue ribbon in the 19th century. Ok.

Well its macro yellow white head that eviscerates itself into about nothing in no time flat. The aroma has a mild amount of grain and corn like sweetness going for it.

The edge of sweetness continues in the taste, almost no hop presence, but that gets kind of bolstered by the high degree of carbonation masquerading as a hop edge. Keeps a light mouthfeel, but its not really the kind of beer for someone looking for pronounced hops and malt flavors. The yeast and corn seems to give some sweetness.

Decent in a hot weather pinch, but ultimately, its no different than the vast majority of AAL macros out there. Long live Milwaukee (or LA at this point).

355ml can poured into pint glass mar27 2011

A clear straw yellow with decent carbonation feeding a short lived finger of lace that leaves no lace

S sweet corny malt and not much else

T mimics the smell, not much going on but at least its not offensive

M slightly slick fairly thin and far from flat

O just you average brew, not much going on but easy enough to drink

a dirt cheap single what more can I say

3.06/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a brilliant golden with a shiny, eggy one inch head that slowly dissipates, leaving spotty lacing.

Grain, corn, bready malt, and floral hop notes form the aroma. There's a bit of cardboard evident.

Flavor is slightly sweet initially, with a grainy, slightly stale malt backbone carrying into a fairly dry finish. A metallic, slightly tangy element surfaces in the aftertaste, along with alcohol.

Body is moderate, with carbonation a touch on the high side. There's an astringent bite.

More malt flavor than some examples of the style, but the tang is offputting.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company