Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)
2.94/5
Poor
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Ratings: 5,639 |  Reviews: 1,744

Reviewed for what it is, this is perfect. It's the best American adjunct by far in my opinion; far beyond Bud and its ilk. It's nothing when compared to craft beers, of course, but at $3.19 per 4-pack of 16 oz. tall boys, this is my go-to when I want to get messed up for cheap (cough cough I mean it's a great session beer). Perceptible hops, an okay malt body, and no gross aftertaste make this an excellent offering for the price, considering otherwise you'd be looking at Steel Reserve or something like that.

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

3.5/5  rDev +19%

I find this beer to be surprisngly good for it's price. The first time I was introduced to it was at a poolside beach bar in Daytona Beach for $2 for a 16 oz. can. Amazingly it wasn't half bad!. I ordered several that day since it was hot and a cheap high.

Would i trade it for a better beer? Of course not! But for the money spent and the nice cold beer at the beach factor it was money well spent.

This is now my "go to" beer when I want something quick, cheap, and refreshing!

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

4.12/5  rDev +40.1%

4.49/5  rDev +52.7%

Definitely the best AAL.
Runs rings around Budweiser yet remains cheaper.
It's the only AAL that has a crisp finish, no funky-off flavors.
Best drunken from the can or bottle.
If lack of money forces you to the adjunct section of the beer fridge, always go with PBR.

These kinds of beers need their own scaling system, reviewed in the context of what they are (cheaper alternatives to craft) My rating reflects my opinion of it within it's market. Also would be pretty cool to see this beer hitting the "okay" mark on BeerAdvocate (it deserves it)

Cheers

With all the sentimental reviews, plus it's popularity amongst the trendy, I decided to buy a can. Poured it into a glass. It pours a nice clear straw color with a foamy head and has good lacing. It tastes better than most AALs. But. It's a tad on the light side for me. If it had a richer flavor, I would have bolstered my rating.

2.25/5  rDev -23.5%