Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)
2.93/5
Poor
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company

View: Beers
firstprev| 5751-5775 | 5776-5800 | 5801-5825  | next → last
Ratings: 5,816 |  Reviews: 1,791
2.38/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I must admit, I really wanted to dislike this beer going in, but it wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact, it was decent. Pours out to a bright golden color with a fluffly white head. Smell is somewhat funky, almost chemical, but the actual taste has some hints of caramel and a very slight hop bitterness. Seeing as Pabst brews this and Schlitz, I can see why they taste similar. I could swear they were the same beer, with very subtle differences. Am American classic? That might be stretching it. Drinkable? Yes. And no different than most American Standard lagers. Rock on PBR...

2.48/5  rDev -15.4%

This beer is drinkable and that is about all I can say about it. I absolutely despise the mass produced garbage that is made in this country but for some reason, I can always tolerate a little PBR. Stranger things have happened.

1.73/5  rDev -41%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't know.... this has been reviewed a lot here and a lot seem to like it, but I just don't know. Very boring IMHO. Simple, easy, almost like your not having a beer at all. Take a big sip, swallow, and its like "Did I just take a sip of beer or was that I day dream." It is cheap for sure and when I bought it it was like 90 degrees and I had a bunch of beer sitting in the cellar that was'nt very cold and I just needed some cold damn beer so I figured $10.99, what the hell!! OK I guess, I don't know..........

3.03/5  rDev +3.4%

Had always heard of this beer growing up but never tried one, figured it for lawnmower beer. Even though I would not choose it again if I had better choices, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Very light in color and the smell is really the only drawback. Better than most of the beers we see all the time on tv.............CHEERS

2.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I had to see what all the fuss was about...

Sampled straight from the can. How else are you supposed to drink a PBR? This beer is no better or worse than any other macro American light lager, but it has a serious advantage of being $2.69 a six. The only problem with it is that holding a can of it makes you want to have sex with your cousin.

3.35/5  rDev +14.3%

Beer my grandpa and uncle used to drink, swill, or pound (it was, and still is cheeep). PBR is the brew I was weened on (used to steal a sip when i was just a wee lad). Pabst has a unique flavor, which actually has a slight hop after taste. I have been a fan of this beer for many years despite its shortcomings. However it is a gem compared to others in its price class.. Can you blame me for trying other types of beer?

2.76/5  rDev -5.8%

I'm going to rate this beer in context to Schlitz, mainly because they are similiar beers and I really have trouble finding stuff to rate about these kinds of beers because they are so simple it's hard to describe them. While I found the Schlitz to possess both more hop flavors (grassy)than any other common macro I can think of, the PBR was much less bitter. The Schlitz was also metallic tasting (the grassy hops meshing with another flavor perhaps?) and the PBR lacked this. The PBR is a bit sweeter than the Schlitz, but still remains crisp. It doesn't even become undrinkable cold. Too bad typical beer swillers think this beer is below them. It really is a good cheap beer. That being said, the only times I'll be likely to buy this is for times when I'm not looking to really enjoy the beer, but looking for something that goes down easily and provides some social lubrication.

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very light pale yellow and is very clear. It has a soapy type head that dissipates fairly quickly. The smell is very faint and slightly sweet. The creamy mouthfeel is well above all the other big macro brews. The taste is fair with no off tastes at all. Just lacking in distinct character. There are actually slight hints of hops in this brew. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it in bottles, so I had to pour mine out of a can. Very drinkable! Cheap Cheers!

3.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Light straw with thick big bubbled head. Quick to disappate. Smells sweet with noticible adjunct smell. Tastes smooth and somewhat sweet with a smooth drinkable mothfeel. Goes down clean and refreshing. Moderate carbonation adds to this fine macro lager. Surprisingly good.

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%

I was curious about a better-tasting macro lager, so here I am...Pale and clear yellow, head is not stiff and has little staying power. Just a bit of a malty smell. Its pretty pleasant in flavor, not overcarbonated, hops short-lasting but not "in-and-out". Malt is sweet if non-descript but there's OK balance here. Doesn't finish with an un-settling impression in my stomach. Well, PBRs are more or less drinkable in a pinch, but its no undiscovered miracle. Thanks to Michael P. for buying a twelve pack and his sister Liza P. for bringing me a can.

2.85/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a modest, dense tan head, which retains well. The lacing is Belgian-like. The carbonation is small, profuse, and fast-rising.

Aroma: Restrained aroma of cooked grain and very understated hops.

Taste: Opens with cooked vegetable flavors, followed by slight alcohol, and a mineral water taste. Towards the end of the taste, there is a slight alcohol note. Finishes with a faint, lingering bitterness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, a little thin, but pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A very pleasant and drinkable warm weather beer. However, with a current outside temperature of 47F, this seems a little understated.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce aluminum can, served in a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass.

05/31/2002:

Medium gold color with a modest white head, only a little lace, moderate carbonation Aroma consists mainly of malt and alcohol. Taste is quite smooth, mild sweet malts followed by modest hoppiness, slight stinging carbonation, dry finish. Not bad, but somewhat nondescript.

Package reviewed was a 12 oz can.

3.0/3.0/3.0/3.0/3.0

2.8/5  rDev -4.4%

For a standard American beer, this stuff isn't all that bad. There is nothing bad I can really say, yet nothing good either. The "plain jane" of all beers.

3.67/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The best American macro lager. It has a clean taste, with good body. It pains me to see that this classic American beer is not beating the pants off BUD. I respectfully suggest that, when the need arises (warm weather) you find it in long neck bottles, chilled down cold, and enjoy. Please tell your establishment to buy it, now, before it's too late.

2.97/5  rDev +1.4%

Note: I've kind of gotten away from the macros the last few years but am trying to add ratings for them for time to time..

Now....On to this Beer...PBR is a better beer than most people give it credit for being. This was my dad's beer back in the 70's. The first thing that impressed me when I sat down to grade it was the aroma..For a basic American Lager the smell is inviting. About the perfect body/character for its style...Not a lot of maltiness(nowhere close to High Life)..a bit of a dry finish...a tich of hops evident but not as heavy as Strohs..jvery smooth though and creamy on the back of the tounge...just a basic solid version of an American Lager. I plan on doing a blind taste test between this and High Life (the only other Macro I have around the house )...I like High Life better but believe it or not PBR is one of the better American lagers out there in my opinion.

3.32/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i would have to agree that PBR is a solid american lager that exceeds expectations in all categories. better than bud, MGD, michelob, coors, etc. and in my book battles high life for best american macro. it has a pleasant, kind of a floral hop aroma. relatively full bodied, a bit sweet, and a grainy, grassy flavor with a smooth creamy mouthfeel that allows it slide down like silk. nothing special, but nothing bad...which is GOOD!

Pretty tart at the beginning and then vanishes, other than a lingering alcohol bitterness, which is the primary flavoring agent. PBR was the first beer I had, back in the stone age, and I drank a good bit of it in those days. Ah, the folly of youth.

firstprev| 5751-5775 | 5776-5800 | 5801-5825  | next → last