Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Ratings: 5,586 |  Reviews: 1,729
3.4/5  rDev +13%

Ah, the infamous PBR. I'll make this short and sweet.

A - Pours a light, golden color, with a thick, white foamy head.
S - Corn, rice, typical of this beer style
T - Mainly sweet corn and rice flavor. Slight hop flavor.
M - Smooth, watery, and light. Moderately high carbonation.
D - Very easy to drink, goes down like water.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of adjunct lagers, but PBR gets props in my book for being a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of other beers of this style, and that it can be found for very cheap, more so than Bud, Miller, or Coors. A good option for something cheap, or party beer. It's no craft brew, but that's not what it's meant to be. The best of it's kind in my opinion.

3.4/5  rDev +13%

A- Pours a super clear light maize with a good 2-3 finger head that disappears quickly. Thin hints of lacing on the glass. Champagne style bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass.

S- A bit of a metallic scent but primarily the hops and a light sweet corn smell. And of course the alcohol is present as I find in many AALs

T- Some crisp hops and malt. The corn alcohol flavor is there but it is sweet. Clean short finish.

M- Has a higher carbonation than other AALs and although it's watery it still comes across with more body than others.

O- This is my choice when I just feel like having a beer and relaxing without going the the big huge flavors of real craft beers. I consider it to be the best choice for a "drink just to drink" beer. I feel that I must rate it according to how it compares to all beers. But if I was comparing it to other AALs it would get all 5's across the board.

3.4/5  rDev +13%

What a nice macro for the price. 18 packs were what got me going for the last two, nearly three summers.
Yellow transparent colour with a white typical head that sticks around for a little.
There is a smell, very faint but a bit grassy, not unpleasant. The taste is much better than any other American macro lager and the crisp mouthfeel makes you want more and more.

Overall the best cheap beer I have had in USA, quite worth it.

3.4/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev +13%

Ah, yes. PBR. The God of all cheap beers. The only way to drink one is via can...even the bottles just don't seem to do the trick.

Pours typical clear/lager color. Feels very light and not overbearing. Easily drinkable and for what it is, has a nice clean, crisp flavor.

Perfect for tailgating, large get-togethers, or having a nice beer after a long day of yard work. Whatever the occassion, PBR doesn't fail to deliver the basic incentives of beer drinking.

3.4/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Better than Bud,Coors,Corona etc. classic AAL taste that has some taste at least. Beer buzz comes quickly for some reason and maybe that's why it has a weird allure in popular culture. 9 bucks for a twelver is good value and will finish/share till gone.

Poured From a 16oz tallboy:

A: Clear bright yellow, small wispy head that fades quick. (as expected)

S: Smells of clean milled grains, and a light whiff of hops.

T: Tastes of freshly milled grains, a small barely detectable hint of adjunct (corn or otherwise) and there is a mild astringent sweetness. The beer is followed off by a nice crisp hop presence, with a fade of yeasty dryness.

D: Very much so. You could pound these all night for the price.

As a man who's proud to come form a long line of workin' stiffs, this is the stuff of legend in the working stiff community! Better than Bud, Miller, Or Coors, and at about half the price, why the hell Not:)

3.4/5  rDev +13%

Pabst Blue Ribbon is one of my favorite cheap beers. It looks like beer, smells like beer, and tastes like beer.

A-It poured a nice dark golden color. The head didnt last long, but did leave some lacing behind.

S-Smells like beer. Malty, with a hint of a hop in the smell.

T-The taste is very good for a cheap beer. Malty, a little sweet, and a little bit of hops. It all balances nicely to make for a very tasty brew.

M-Good. A little thinner than my favorites but it isnt bad.

D-Really good. If I had the time I could down the entire 12 pack right now.

I drink PBR often, but didnt think to review it til now. This is one of my go-to brews when I can find it!

3.4/5  rDev +13%

PBR seems to occupy an unusual space. It's not exactly BMC territory, but it's not really a regional specialty, and the hipster anti-cool thing seems to have worn off (thank God). So what's left? It's a little like Stroh's -- it definitely has a distictive taste, OK but not great, good summer beer. It has a great-looking label that I really like (superficial as it sounds) that brings it up a rung in my book. Give it a try -- it's good (if not great) and may not be around that much longer (remember Rheingold?).

3.4/5  rDev +13%

Serving Type, bottle, I recommend bottle over can. I'm a beer in a can type of guy but for some reason PBR has a distinct metal taste when drank out of a can.
Smells and tastes like a Macro should. Mouthfeel ok. Drinkability is excellent at about 35F but go above 40 and watch out. PBR is a decent Macro swill but Budweiser is the best, Coors Banquet, Schmidt, Schlitz and Schell's O are better. I guess when it comes down to American Macro it is really about personal preference. One guy might like PBR the next guy Bud or Highlife or whatever you like to drink. The point is its American Macro or as I like to call it real BEER and that's why you drink it. Amen

3.4/5  rDev +13%

Pours a brilliantly clear pale gold, large head vanishes quickly leaving thin white lacing.

Sweet light malts with grassy notes a hope flavor also come through

Crisp with pleasant carbonation, sweet and lightly malty there are certainly corny grainy notes throughout slight alcohol taste feels pleasant on the tongue a this beer finishes with a slightly hoppy surprise

This beer is light bodied and as i said before has extremely pleasant carbonation

Goes down quite smooth

Probably one of the best value beers on the market its a nice change up from a world filled with dopplebocks and imperial stouts

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours into a pint glass a very light golden yellow with a big foamy, but rapidly receding head. Looks like a macro beer looks.

The nose brings a hint of grains and spicy hops in addition to a slight corny note.

The hops aren't there so much in the taste, but the barley graininess is more pronounced with less of the cooked corn taste. A step up from the big three, in my opinion.

Medium to thin body with appropriate carbonation, and pretty easily drinkable. It's not a great beer, but certainly a decent fall-back brew.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Very light straw color. Pearl white head.

S: A touch of wet paper, maybe some cardboard

T: Not really much, crisp and dry with a hint of malt, no body just thin. Like drinking a glass of water that someone had a real beer in before.

M: Extra high carbonation-typical

O: Refreshing of sorts, dry finish, not a lot of flavor, good for a water substitute. Unfortunately a good style of what it represents.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Drank straight from the 12 oz. can. The label assures me that "this is the ORIGINAL PBR Beer." I don't think I had any doubts to begin with hahaha... The label also declares that PBR was "selected as America's Best in 1893." 114 years later, I doubt that's still the case, but here goes...

Smell: Typical macro beery smell, but somehow seems "fresher" than your average BMC. I'm not a fan of macro smells, but this one is pretty unoffensive in that department.

Taste: Mmm Mmm Beer... But seriously you got your run of the mill grains in here, but again with a "fresh" sense. Hint of metallic flavor from the can. Not much of an aftertaste to speak of. A refreshing one on a long hot Tallahassee summer day. Sometimes a simple, not complex beer like this in nice to clear the mind...

Drinkability: I could put away a whole case of this stuff... and I probably have at some point. At 4.7% this stuff is like drinking water compared to some others I've had... Of course, that's probably the reason I have this beer gut...

Notes: It all comes down to price here... and for the price, this one is pretty damn good. It's a bit more than 50 cents per can at my local grocery store, and it's worth every penny. Perfect on gamedays before going into the stadium, I would take PBR over Bud, Miller, Coors, Schlitz, Milwaukee's Best, etc. etc. etc. any day. The Best of the Bad, PBR still reigns after all these years.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Yellow, like darkish urine. Zero Head, lots of fizz coming form the bottom of the glass.

S - Clean, corn/grain... Some sweetness to the nose

T - Same as it smells, I wasn't expecting it to taste this good.

M - Again the fizz, but fits the style, went down pretty easy though.

D - I could drink this as a session beer if only BMC was on tap. I didn't walk into this beer thinking I could finish a pint of it... I was wrong.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I drank quite a few P.B.Rs back in the 70s. After thirty years, I've, Just recently, revisited this beer. Except for a little bit of of the adjunct cereal debacle, its a pretty refreshing lager. The malts stand up to the corn invasion quite well. It's cheap and It's drinkable, some times that means a lot!

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can: a standard-looking white macro can. Pretty much what you expect from a major macro.

Appearance: pours a standard adjunct lager - clear yellow-amber with a fair ol' whack of head that fizzles away to a white half-finger. Decent.

Aroma: smells of the usual grain and light hop aromas, but with a small amount of fruits.

Taste: pretty much follows the nose - standard grains and hops with a small amount of fruit behind. A refreshing and decent lager.

Aftertaste: drops away fairly quickly as is standard for the adjunct lager style. Quite drinkable.

Mouth feel: plenty of carbonation as expected - a decently refreshing beer for a hot day.

Overall: I'm not entirely sure why this beer scored 'poor' - it's a decent, refreshing lager as good as any other standard macro, for a much lower price than many others. It isn't going to blow your socks off if you're after something special, but as an every day lager, it's pretty much unbeatable.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%

Very pale yellow body with about a finger of head that quickly dissipates. Smells malty with a hint of hop. Tastes Sweet and watery. Not really noticing any hops here. Reminds me in some ways of Molson Ice in its flavor. Becomes somewhat more flavorful as it warms, but still fairly watery. Very drinkable, though. And very cheap. I would say this beats anything the Big 3 make (yes, I know Miller makes it now). I’m sure it’s better on tap than from the 16 oz can I’m drinking.

3.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the quintessential all american lager, and has all the qualities you'd expect from one.

A: Poured into a glass it has a quickly dissipating head that leaves quite a bit of lacing while the head is leaving, and after it's gone. Nice and clean pale yellow coloring.

S: A sweet melange of malt and a sharp grain aroma.

T: A sharp graininess pushed by a sweetness that ends in a slightly hoppy flavor and dryness.

M: Medium consistent carbonation throughout.

3.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Here it is - the beer that for some reason has been the gold standard of all college-aged hipsters around my school. Whatever their reasoning is - here's the break down.

A - Light yellow body, slight layer of head plus a lot of carbonation apparent.

S - Corn and adjunct. Just a lot of grains.

T - Some saturated maltiness, a lot of grainy action going on. The slightest hint of lemon zest.

M - Very light. Carbonation makes a big source of activity.

D & Notes - For a mass produced product, I have always been impressed with PBR. Could drink this all night, and at $7.99 for a 12-pack, I don't feel the slightest sense of cognitive-dissociation.

3.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance - Pours a pale straw yellow into my SA Perfect Pint with over two fingers of white, fluffy head that dissipates at a moderate pace and leaves some pretty good looking lacing to be honest. [edit] Lacing disappears later on.

Smell - Grains, bready and sweet malts. That's about it.

Taste - Similar to the nose - only flavors I really notice are some sickly sweetness and grains and just a hint of malt.

Mouthfeel - Lighter bodied, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - No I'm not a hipster. No I wouldn't pick this beer over others to drink. However, when you are in the mood for just something that is refreshing, easily quaffable, and downright easy to drink...this is my beer. I would rather have this over pretty much any other macro, and for what it is, it isn't bad. Despite my liking good beer, I honestly do not like pairing some of my favorite styles (i.e. IPA, DIPA) with food at say a BBQ. There is normally just too much flavor for me while eating food, so PBR is a damn good beer to drink with good BBQ, and after I'm done eating I'll open up the good stuff.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company