Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,714 | Ratings: 5,493
2.6/5  rDev -13.6%

This beer is a hell of a beer for the money. I think because its refreshing that I could drink this frequently. Dont get me wrong its a macro lager but its a drinkable one for me. The taste is thin but its very drinkable for me. Best served in bong form!! ;-)

Overall, its a drinkable beer and good for the price!

2.6/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 12oz can into a mug.

Appearance/Smell - Appears ultra clear gold/yellow with more than an inch of outstanding frothy head. Pretty poor retention though, and lite carbonation with very large bubbles escaping rapidly. Doesn't leave any lacing, and carbonation dies down quite a bit leaving a dull appearance. Smells of rice, grains, citrus aromas and some mixed vegetables. All very clean aromas, very lite and not much to detect at all. Smells a little sweet as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of watered down flavors consisting of rice, grain, corn husk, hints of malt and mixed vegetables. Overall very watery and clean, as in the smell. Not much flavor at all! Mouthfeel is watery, thin and lite bodied with some lively carbonation on the palate. Not a very desirable body for the style.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - I remember having a more flavorful (PBR) in the past. What happened? This time around, no flavor, watery, to lite, and no aroma. It definitely left something to be desired, and I'm frankly a little disappointed. On the other hand, this beer is highly sessionable, easy to toss back a few on a warm day, or drink all night. I think I might go with Bud over this though, just wasn't impressed with this one. I'd pass.

2.6/5  rDev -13.6%

Okay so Pabst isn't what I remembered, look at original can review and you will see that I didn't mind it. Pours a very light yellow with little to no head at all. Not much lacing to speak of either. Smell is grain and earth tones, slight metallic. Taste is of grain and very watered down, not bad for the price but still not good. Metallic hints as well. Feels light and flat in mouth, drinkable only on those sweaty days doing yard work.

2.6/5  rDev -13.6%

30 pack of inexpensive beer. Carries with it a couple of intangibles - a certain underground cachet, and a personal connection with the aroma (as the sense of smell is closely associated with memory). The smell of PBR reminds me of the softball fields of my parents' leagues when I was younger, and of fishing with my Dad.

I should be able to separate myself from these attachments to make a fair judgement of this brew.

Pale color, faint aroma. But it does have a good mouthfeel and a passable taste.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a light golden. Fluffy head quickly disappears. Not much lace,but lots of bubbles.Smell is of light malt. Body is light and carbonated.Taste is sweet with a hint of hop. This beer is by no means offensive,and it's cheep. I'm sure that's why the college kid's love it!

2.6/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Notes of rare earth and fresh harvested maize..

Who am I kidding, it's cheap swill and 12$ for an 18.

As a cigar smoker, I am well aware of the absurd pretentiousness
of most reviewers.

It's cheap swill that is better than most cheap swill.

Slightly orange golden with a "head" that disappears
before you can toss the can in the recycling bin. The
flavour is that of cheap, mass produced, American lager.

Not the worst and far from the best. Not bad for what
it is though.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

What can I say about the PBR. It always fits the mood. Pours golden yellow in color with a small white head that does not last at all. There is no smell that I can pick up. The tast is small, short and crisp. Smooth with a touch of creamyness that you can't find any where else. I like it and I keep going back to it.

Red, white and blue. You can't go wrong.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Have them on tap at work for $2.50 so why not?

Came a pale yellow with almost no head at all. Very fizzy.

Smelled of grains but most notably corn.

Taste was of rice and cereal grains, slightly dry bitter finish.

Was a thin bodied beer with alot of carbonation. I could put alot of them down though with out feeling them.

2.59/5  rDev -14%

App: Large white head sits upon a pale straw body. Looks to have huge carbonation, but the head doesn't stay long.

Smell: Ligh corny smell, maybe a note of hops. There's a sharp smell too, like funky yeast, but it's all light despite not being very attractive.

Taste: Very corn based in sweetness, like it was brewed entirely with corn. A little yeast biproduct in the taste that I try not to smell as I take a sip.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and boring.. but at least it's crisp.

Drinkability: This could be drinkable if it was less funny tasting, but it's not very drinkable even for a macro lager, becuase it tastes funny.

2.59/5  rDev -14%

A: Light golden color with a medium to light bodied head and no lacing.

S: Light citrus notes mostly like lemon peel. Light yeast and floral hop notes in the background but for the most part its smell is light.

T: Tastes almost like a poorly made vienna lager with floral hop notes and light citrus notes.

M/D: It feels harsh on the tongue and throughout the mouth. The feel hurts the drinkability and isn't the best refreshment.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - Clear golden yellow with a fading think head which leaves plenty of spotty lacing around the glass.

S - Steely and grassy with fading hops

T - Somewhat bitter hops with grassy tendencies. Run-of-the-mill malt attempts to break through, leading to a steely, citrus zest finish.

M - Medium body, although most of the beer tasted like the inside of a can.

D - Smoother than most beers of the same style.

PBR is my favorite adjunct lager. End.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled on tap at a Calgary pub. Another "big name" adjunct lager in the US, brewed by Sleeman's here in Canada. Slightly darker in color than many of its contemporaries, the color of well-cured hay with a lot of white foam. Smells of boiled grains with a corn sweetness, and tastes much the same ... Bland breakfast cereal, perhaps a hint of apple or other sour fruit. Less corny than many other adjunct lagers though, tilted towards a grain husk astringency and highly carbonated. The bubbles provide a crisp and dry finish that actually gathers steam as one proceeds through a pint. Standard macro-lager watery body; overall effect is that of a bitter and slightly sour grainy soda. Flavors are mellow but the carbonation is not. Fewer off-flavors than many of its peers (e.g., little DMS that I could taste) but some metal does emerge as the beer warms. Drink it quickly, if at all. In all honesty its not terrible and should probably be deemed a decent example of the style. I actually like more corn sweetness when I drink this style. This one gets astringent after a while, as is the case when more rice is used.

2.59/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a fizzy yellow into a mug or glass with a head that fades away quickly! Smells of corn and very small malt character almost no hops present! Best to drink ice cold! Overall not a bad old school American lager for the price!

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has cultivated quite a mystique in recent years, and it's a bit difficult to see why. It's ordinary yellow lawn-mower beer, and a decidedly average one at that. Still, it's become the beer of choice for the current working-class-chic trend. It's absolutely EVERYWHERE in Portland, Oregon, even at barbershops like Bishops. It usually goes for $2 a pint, often less than that, so I suppose I can understand its appeal from a cost standpoint. But from a local pride standpoint, in this city of breweries, it's confounding and disheartening that this is the number one beer. Taste-wise, it is certainly nothing special. Pouring a clean, clear platinum with a rising head that disappears quickly, it offers a slight metallic fragrance with the faintest musty wisps of yeast. The flavor is primarily of sweet malts and corn, a definite vegetable undercurrent. Hops are non-existent and the water quaility is off-puttingly metallic. As the beer warms, it seems particularly sweet, so I guess I can see why people who don't like beer tend to like this one. I'll be happy when the trend dies down, though, just because this beer has gotten way more attention than it deserves.

Afterthought #1:
The chief criteria of the fans of PBR seems to be: "Well, it doesn't SUCK." No, it doesn't suck. But it's not GOOD, either. How can not sucking be an acceptable reason to laud a brand of suds?

Afterthought #2:
Not to dis anyone, but a review below says "This is the beer of punk rockers." A common sentiment that I've come across more than once, especially around these parts. Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Blindly follow the trend and choose a beer that's produced by a major brewing monolith (Miller), in order to maintain one's indie cred. WTF?!?

Afterthought #3:
I can get a 6-pack of Portland Lager (from MacTarnahan's) for $3.75. PBR is not much cheaper than that. How about some local beer, eh, Portland paupers?

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Ah yes the good old PBR. It's been quite the staple of my College life always finding it's time honored place in our refrigerator. It's a good beer for a nice cold shower after a day in the muggy New Orleans summer heat. However, this is by no means a good beer. I do prefer a Pabst Blue Ribbon over any Bud/Miller product any day, but this is only when I'm too broke to get a quality craft brew. After having an assortment of Abita and Sierra Nevada Kegs over the last month or so we got a little pour and decided to toss in a $59 keg of PBR into the kegerator. The PBR pours a light pale yellow and has a repulsive smell. After a night of drinking I woke up to find some beer stains on my shirt which were emitting quite a repulsive odor. However, the beer does go down smooth and is very very easy to drink. PBR, not the best of beers, but maybe one of the best of the cheap domestics.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

I went for a hot dog at Crif Dogs in NYC. And for a dollar extra I got myself a PBR. To be honest, it wasn't as sour as I had expected. It really lacked any real taste. It was almost like a beer version of vitamin water, sans the health kick. What ever. For a buck, you get what you get.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance - Two fingers of head atop a clear musty yellow lager. Very transparent and a dirty golden look to it. Decent lacing.

Smell - Light floral notes and hops here. Not much else going on.

Taste - Strong hints of banana. Quite watered down but surprisingly tasty hops.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Medium bodied. A very crisp and refreshing taste. Not bad for an American Adjunct Lager. I would prefer Molson Canadian over this, but it is still decent.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

Light godlen yellow, plenty of head.

Smells plenty bland. Very faint hint of grassy hops, and def some corn in there.

Taste has some corn/malt sweetness up front. Very slight bitterness, and what I can only describe as a mechanical/unnatural flavor.

Mouthfeel is watery and carbonated.

Drinkability is not so good. It's cheap, and it will get you drunk. Speaking of that, this beer was my staple in college. lol

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

Big thanks to Robby Bobby (Ricky's bro) for the brew.

A - Basically just as clear as urine the day after drinking 12 cans of this stuff. I expected more color. I guess I've never really seen it out of a can. From now on, can-only for PBR. Never again a glass.

S - Mineral and metallic and mixed grain. I want this to be measurably better than BMC, but it really isn't. Boo hoo.

T - The taste is basic beer. Tastes like cheap swill in an ostensibly novel sense. The outright crappiness doesn't hit home like it does with, say, Bud Light. Instead, it is like dressing up as a hobo or a NASCAR fan, or, like saying we're not really scumbags, but we play them on TV; it's all in good fun... But if this PBR is a habit for you, I would recommend you institute a 6-month moratorium on PBR, Wal-Mart, Hardee's/Carl's Junior, and Redman or Levi Garrett; use your free time to reform your backwoods ways.

M - Cheap and fizzy.

D - Statistics show that 7.5 out of every 13 trailer-park domestic disputes begin over quarrels concerning the ownership of "that there last can of PBR."

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

My choice for "Golf" beer. Forms a fizzy 2 finger head that falls to ring style, leaving behind sliding lace. Massive amounts of carbonation that is common to the style, nothing earthshattering here. Light Yellow color.

A bit maltier than its cousin's, and a bit more hops, not much more but enough to make a difference. Usual adjunct, corn syrup, rice lager. you just get the feeling its so highly filtered that its filtered itself out of taste. Very crisp and clean, leaves me desiring something to make it interesting.

Notes: I'm in....Pabst and Budweiser are the two macros that see time in my fridge. They know how to make a fairly tasteless beer without any "edges" or something to possibly send you to another brand. It is what it is....a cheap brew that doesn't offend.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

On tap at a Irish Pub in Philly, been meaning to get back to this one for a bit.

A- PBR is a crisp light yellow color with just the faintest little cap i've ever seen, it eventually goes into nothing leaving a desd looking drink.

S- Corn and grain, no more no less.

T- There is more flavor in here than I was expecting but it isnt much more than some grain and corn, some sweet malts.

M- Not as lively on tap but I am unsure on the bar that was serving it, who knows how long this was sitting in the line. Below medium bodied.

D- I think I would enjoy this more out of a can, the appeal of this went away after 6 oz or so. Did not finish my pint.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz. can, served about as cold as possible without freezing. This is probably the first PBR I've ever actually poured. Clear light gold with about a third of a finger of white head that lasts about a minute - actually better than I expected - before fading into a thin crown on the top of the beer. Very fizzy.

Aroma is slightly sweet malts, with just a hint of grainy grassiness. No adjuncts to speak of, which is the sole reason I will take this over anything from BMC.

Sweetness and very grainy. Basic BMC macro-lager, but once again without the taste of adjuncts and a bit sweeter.

Very crisp, carbonated mouthfeel, and incredibly thin. But it is smooth, refreshing, and definitely not filling. This beer doesn't pretend to be anything it's not, and it is damned good considering it's counterparts. Definitely not one of my first choices, but I have yet to find anything that goes quite as well on a 100+ summer day or with a pizza, especially considering the price. That being said, you will rarely find my fridge without at least a 6-pack of PBR.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured an effervescent yellow clear with moderate carbonation and an average head. Aroma was strongly like cooked corn. Not awful, but not your normal hops and malt either. Possibly some astringency as well. Body was light-to-medium. Some malt there and leans to the sweet side. Mostly corn flavor; not bad but not what I'd call a great beer, either. Mouthfeel was okay; nothing to write home about.

Really not a bad beer, and pretty good by macro standards. I'd prefer High Life or Schlitz, but would do nicely in a pinch.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

not a bad super-cheap beer on tap. it tasted nice and fresh to me. color was straw straw straw. little head. smell was slightly metallic, but not awful. taste was decent. little evidence of adjunctiness. some slight slight hop bite in it, and some pale maltiness that comes through. not a lot of flavor, but what is there isn't offensive at all.
very drinkable cheapo beer. won't ruin your tastebuds or wallet. now as for the trendiness....go figure.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw color with lots of carbonation. The head is a finger high with a white shade. Retention isn't nearly as godawful as its BMC brethren, though the head leaves behind no lacing on the glass. (3)

Smell: Smells like a crappy macro, to be honest. Corn, cereal grains, and a bit of diacetyl consists the worst of the notes here; I'm not really getting much cotton candy or cooked veggies. There are actually a kiss of noble hops - can't hate on that. Sure, it doesn't smell particularly good, but it does smell drinkable. (2.5)

Taste: It opens up with some cereal grain, giving way to some vanilla cream and apple-esque sweetness. It can't really stand up to a properly good craft beer, but this one has its place. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Much crisper and lighter-feeling than something like Bud Lite or Miller Light, with the carbonation falling just short of being annoying. A bit sweet, but endlessly drinkable. (3)

Overall: I could drink this again. I could drink a FEW of these again. And because it's so dirt fuckin' cheap (pretty much the cheapest beer I can find in my area), I'll even buy it again! Pairs well with 100 degree weather, thrash metal, and fishing. (2.5)

2.58/5: Heineken? Fuck that shit. PABST! BLUE! RIBBON!

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company