Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,712 | Ratings: 5,492
3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours exceptionally well, is a pale yellow with a creamy white head that lasts amazingly long for the style and actually leaves some lace down the glass. The aroma is definitely the weak point of this brew. It is better than most with a slightly corn and adjunct smell but still not all that great of a smell. Taste is great for the style with its incredibly creamy and smooth sweetness/slight fruitiness? and fairly crisp mouthfeel the brew is very drinkable and an absolute pleasure compared to the other macros and even compared to a lot of cheap brew, you really can't get any better for the price, at $9 a case it is a steal.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First of all, stop worrying that all the cool kids are going to call you a hipster. You're old enough to drink a beer, you're old enough to buck up, and stop worrying about such childish things. Did you do that? Cool. Now, go grab a case of this, and then go home, and watch some college football. I promise you, you won't be dissapointed. You're going to be thinking, "Hey, this beer is, if anything, completely inoffensive. It's just a beer," and you'll be right. Then, when you think about what you paid for it, when you could have paid more for Busch, Bud, or Miller, you'll be more pleased with yourself.

This is easily my favorite macro brew. It's not very sophisticated, and do you know what? That's okay sometimes. It's like when you eat kraft mac and cheese. You know you're not getting the best of the best, and that fine italian dining at a restaurant would be much tastier, but you can't watch cartoons in your underpants at the restaurant. Similarly, craft brews and college football just feels... off.

Furthermore, if I drink one of these during the games of the team I root for, they win everytime, 60% of the time, and that's definitely something I appreciate.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

This beer is an old friend from long ago and when I saw it on tap at the Burger Bar (Las Vegas) I had one for old times sake.

Not sure about other beers in this style (on tap) because I don't come across any, but this looked fine, golden, bright and clear, with a good white head on top.

No real aroma to get your nose round, hints of a hop maybe, but gets my regular score of three for a non-smelling lager/pilsner.

Refreshing and thirst quenching, just like a lager should be, ideal throat cleaner before I hit the bars heavy brews.

I enjoyed it, brought back a couple of memories of drunken sports fields and tins laying around, happy days.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

Pabst is one of those beers, you can get completely smashed off of it, but you can also enjoy it watching some football, eating pizza, etc. Since I've only poured a PBR into a glass maybe two times I am going to reference the most recent time, which was a few days ago, WHICH was the best pabst I have ever had. I poured it into a standard pint glass, got a little head that didn't last too long, never disappeared 100% though which was nice. The appearance was that of a normal lager accept for the head and lacing, I got the best lacing out of this pbr that I have gotten in at least two months of drinking craft beer. I was BLOWN AWAY. unbelievable to get that from a pabst. The smell wasn't anything special, neither was the taste, the taste was light light hops, light malt sweetness, but nothing bad about it. There really aren't any bad flavors to speak of in this beer, it's not offensive in any way. Personally my favorite cheap beer hands down.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

OK I spent 2.5 years in Germany. During that time, as now, I was an avid beer drinker. Now I'm old enough to remember when I got back from Germany, American beer was cow piss.

Years have passed and I am on the verge of brewing something myself. Probably a Pilsner.

But, we are talking about a beer that costs less per 12 pack than one bottle of a hell-o-beer assortment.

Yes, it is watery, Yes it hasn't much flavor or to put it frankly nothing to offend. It is 5% alcohol. Cheap and available anywhere. American cow piss? I think not.

The Snobbish assholes talking crap about a $7 per 12 pack beer need to get a grip.

It is cheap tastes OK for what it is which is a Miracle in itself. This beer could easily be like Milwaukee's Best. But it's not. This should be obvious to anyone.

BTW it smells, tastes and feels like beer. Especially after about 6 of them.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

A - Quite Boring. Nice bubbles though. Very little head. Brew is piss yellow.

S - Very nice scent, not too grainy.

T - Quite good. Very little hop or malt.

M - Smooth and great carbonation. A little to bitter, but still nice.

O - A very nice american style brew.

An American icon....PBR

The classic blue, white and red label is fixture of every college bar in the country. Low cost makes it a fan favorite and to most it's considered a right of passage into the world of beer.

One reason I love PBR is the taste, it really has its own unique taste separate from the rest. I know it's cheap, heck I once bought a 6pack with the change in my ash tray, but that says something about PBR. Even a cheap beer can be decent and to most that's really what matters the most.
Now when I go to parties where I'm a new comer I always take PBR. Because no one really wants to drink it and easy to spot if someone is raiding your cooler.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured into a pint glass on a cloudy Saturday evening.

A: Huge fluffy lager head that has pretty decent retention considering. Looks like a sparkling wine, with heavy carbonation and an extremely pale golden color. Lacing is solid as well.

S: Looks similar to apple juice, and the nose pulls me that way as well. A little hops on the backend. Nothing intense, but I can tell that it's beer.

T: It is what it is...Fluffy, very light, with a mild fruitiness up front, and a sprinkle of subtle hops towards the finish. I'm surprised when others can tease anything else out of an adjunct lager.

M: Again, it's just being itself. Extremely bubbly, well-balanced lightness. Like chewy water, and that way for a reason.

D: Defined and determined by this aspect (as well as cost). Extremely drinkable. My impoverished session beer (3 dollar tallboys at my local watering hole). As echoed by others, this definitely beats the big three in taste and value.

It is certainly a unique and humbling (I am a little buzzed as I write this) experience reviewing an American icon. Don't know about the blue ribbon but a designated hitter award (this should exist) is in order--i.e., it does exactly what it is there to do, and does it pretty well. (Side point: in my numbered rating I took the big 3 to be the 'average' adjuncts, and I went from there).

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: crystal clear yellow beer, with carbonation bubbles, not much head

Smell: smells like spilt beer on a tile floor the night after a rowdy party.

Taste: spicy, watery, but better than budweiser.

Mouthfeel: watery, light, well carbonated

Overall: this is a good session beer, drink 12 of them and you won't have a headache the next day, you will actually feel good.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yellow body with little head. This is followed by a fresh corn aroma, something that I found to be rather startling in an adjunct lager. The taste, again, has that fresh corn taste, with a little bit of malt leading into a nice, smooth finish. All in all not bad, though I'm more of a pilsner person myself in terms of lager.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Don't get the hate on this beer. It's constantly a fantastic easy drinking lager. I based my rating on the style, which it nails perfectly, not based on if it's as good as Fou.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

Bright gold, nicely carbonated and smells like beer.
Tastes like it did when I first stole sips of it as a child...like beer.
Pabst has enough flavor and body to satisfy my need for a little beer buzz.
I won't go into some phoney-baloney list of all the things [bread, biscuits, Kelloggs corn flakes, etc.] I can possibly list that I think I smell and taste here.
What you have with Pabst is a lager that has what lager drinkers like who may or may not be on a beer budget.

3.52/5  rDev +16.9%

A light gold appearance with a bit of foam that fizzles away quite quickly. The smell is that of a generic lagar -- there's a bit of a corn smell to it, but it's not overpowering. The taste is a bit like -- with a hint of the corn/straw taste that can come with some cheaper beers -- but it's far from annoying, especially when served ice cold. It has a high drinkability due in part to its light flavour and body, but it's certainly not unpleasant. I used to mock Pabst's a great deal, but for the price it's solid beer, especially in comparison to some of its "peers" (e.g., Miller and Miller Light, Bud, etc.).

3.52/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz : pint glass

Clear, golden yellow with a thick, creamy white head with decent retention.

Fairly typical adjunct lager profile. Balanced flavors of grainy, lightly sweet malt and the faintest grassy-ish hop profile.

Medium body, foamy carbonation.

Nothing special, but for an American Adjunct Lager it certainly isn't a bad beer.

3.52/5  rDev +16.9%

$0.62 a can, in his economy, you just can't get a better beer for that price.

It's the classic American Beer. you really can't go wrong on a hot day with a cold can of PBR.

I've only ever had it in cans, but I hear it's even better on tap.

You can pay more for a macro brewed lager, but you won't get a better example than this.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 4.25

Light colored orangish yellow lots of head a personal favorite from child hood of course smell very malty a little bit of hoppyness taste very malty mothfeel not gonna lie it's like extra watery I notice more recently but well carbonated overall my personal favorite from macrobreweries in the u.s. as far as lager other than yeungling

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

I had this one for the first time last night. I generally avoid adjuncts, but I thought it was about time and, after all, it is beer. I didn't expect much, but it did pleasantly surprise.

The color is a pale gold, light but not the watery straw yellow I expect from most adjuncts. It even had a soft white head that remained pretty active and a little bit of lacing.
The smell is not dissimilar to a macro, but there's a bit more substance to it. Hops and malts are actually present here along with the grains, and there seems to be a bit less of the corn husk. There is an earthy grassiness as well.
The taste follows suit; actual flavors of light malts and hops come through, along with the grains and that earthy flavor. There's actually a bit of flavor in this one.
The body is light without being unbearably thin, with carbonation that makes for crisp, refreshing drinking without being overdone. It goes down smoothly as well and there's even a bit of a finish here.
Well, I guess PBR really is better than a lot of macros out there. I'd drink it again with friends.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pabst Blue Ribbon has a beloved spot in my heart. Are there far better beers out there? Sure. But when I want something that is just super easy to drink and is readily available, PBR works perfectly. It was my go to beer when I was in college. I could get a 12 pack of bottles for $4.99 at CVS, which is a fantastic deal.

As far as cheap beers (Miller, Budweiser, Coors, etc) are concerned, it's probably one of the better ones. There is some flavor and slight bit of hops in PBR and it doesn't just taste like watered down beer.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

PBR is the staple of my drinking life. I have always enjoyed the smooth flavor and found it goes great no matter what I am doing. I have had some deep conversations over this beer but I've also found great comfort in watching TV and sipping one.

A-It is about what you would expect in a glass. However, to be fair, I will review the bottle. It is like an American flag to me. Every single time I see one I think Amuuurica!

S-The smell is a little nonexistent. It is made up for in flavor.

T-The taste is delicious and very crisp.

M-It has a nice refreshing feel in the mouth.

O-I love this beer and would recommend it for anyone!

Cheap and delicious!

Drink on!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Recent talk of "American" brews now that A/B is Belgian owned made me want to review this. Had it on tap at Old Chicago in Olathe.

Poured a light yellow, slightly darker than the "big 3" macros, with a huge head that stuck around for awhile.

The nose is full of grainy base malts and corn. Whether that's from DMS or the corn in the recipe, who can say? There are no detectable hops in the nose at all.

The taste is very bright and crisp with an acidic bite from the ample carbonation. No hops to be found here in terms of flavor. The beer is quite sweet, which is why I tend to add a couple shakes of salt to it. However, there's none of the tinge of sourness that one gets from the other macro lagers out there. This one is sweet, yes, but quite clean. The corn aroma doesn't seem to lend itself to a corn taste, which is a good thing.

The mouthfeel is very light, and made even lighter by the high levels of carbonation. Works well for the style.

This is a good beer for what it is. This isn't a RIS or a barleywine. it isn't supposed to overwhelm you with flavors. This is a good ol' American macro lager, great for mowing the lawn or watching a ball game. It's better than its competition by far.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

I can't help it; I really, really like PBR. It blows every other similarly priced macro lager pretty far out of the water for taste, and its spectacularly average beeriness is really tough to beat when you want one of something reliable on a weeknight. I can't in good conscience call it "underrated," but if I only had one beer to drink in all seasons for the rest of my life, it just might be this one.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: Very clear, golden yellow. The pour creates an abundance of bubbly white foam. It quickly fades away, leaving light wisps of head on the surface of the beer.

Smell: Cooked corn and grain, sharp on the nose. Some slight hop grassiness.

Taste: Grainy, toasted malt flavor. Some mashy corn sweetness softens the overall profile a little. A light touch of hops in the finish tightens it all up. Light and crisp.

Mouthfeel: A little soda-like with the carbonation, but it has enough body to keep it smooth.

Verdict: Solid canned lager. Nothing great, but it quenches the thirst in a reasonably satisfying manner.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a very clear yellow gold with a thin white head. Nose is grainy and smells like pee. Flavor is actually quite smooth. Slight sweet tone. Grainy kind of earthy tone. Feel has a thick carbonation that really makes me burp. Liquid feel is typical. This is an easy drinking lager IMO. For what it is, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Wish it was more available in the UK as the price over here is not representative of the quality and i would like to try it on draught. Have tried both can and bottle versions and they are like regular lagers but with an extra sweetness. Can also distinctively taste corn or maize syrup. My girlfriend doesnt like beer but likes this one.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Hmm, good ol PBR. College hipster's best friend and teddy bear, along with Miller High Life.

Anyway, it's bright clear yellow and fizzy. Most people that drink it don't know or care though, I've never ever seen someone pour it out of a can, unless it's into a beer bong.

Smells like wheat, light grains.

Tastes alright, not my usual style but good for this particular genre of beer. Sweet wheat.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and light-ish. Not BudLight watery light but doesn't taste like a full beer. You get what you pay for.

Drinkability? Are you kidding me? I've never ever seen someone drink one PBR and then call it quits. It's cheap (even here in California) and palatable. What more could you want? You bring PBR to the average party and you're allowed in.

Average alcohol content, but usually gets people hammered from simply being super easy to drink. Think I finished this can in about 15 minutes, just because i'm writing this review as i drink it!

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company