Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,683 | Ratings: 5,423
3.48/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 355 mL Can

A- Pours clear golden with a sudsy 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly. Lots of visible carbonation (think of a freshly poured Soft Drink). No lacing.

S- Lager Yeast, Corn, and bready malt.

T- Watery Barley/Corn mixture with a light hop flavour on the finish to give the brew a slight bitterness

M- Light Body with Low-Moderate Carbonation. A little too relaxed on the carbonation but not bad. The lack of carbonation makes it extremely 'poundable'

O- One of the better AAL's I've had thanks to it's nearly non-existent flavour (no astringent corn flavours here) and easy drinking body. No, it's not that great, but it sure beats a Bud Light.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - This beer pours an extremely clear straw yellow with 3 fingers of foamy head that die down quick. Carbonation is fairly inactive.

Aroma - lager yeast ( spring water) smell, barley, corn.

Taste - Spring water flavor, barley, corn, and some extremely light floral hops give a very light bitterness on the back of the tongue

Feel - light body not much carbonation almost like drinking water.

Overall - This is one of the better AAJ's I have tried. The flavor and aroma dont stand out and the body is the weakest point because of lack of carbonation. With that said the flavor is fine look and aroma follow the style too. Would I drink this a lot? No, but thats personal preference and if you are a lawnmower beer drinker than try this.

2.8/5  rDev -7%

Halfway through a 30 pack on PBR... as far as cheap light beers go, this one's better than most. Obviously nothing special, though. I will drink again, but only when my goal is getting shitfaced.

1.96/5  rDev -34.9%

I am not a hipster, you are not my beer, and you no you will not enjoy this review. This beer has made a resurgence among people that like to drink it ironically, but my apprecation for satire does not go as deep. This is a bush league beer.

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%

I been drinking "P-Berrs" for 15 off and on years. I drank Long Trail religiously for a while and tasted as many different imports as I could. Love OtterCreek Copper. I'm a Vermonter lol. I always come crawling back to PBR though. Its light and I love that, it does get bland after a while so I mix it up but its always available which rocks. It doesn't matter what time it is, great breakfast beer, lunch dinner middle of the night haha!

Its nostalgic, American and hands down better than BUD, I bought a 12ver of bud cause it was on sale yesterday and puked my way through it, Pberrs is so smooth and easy on the guts!

Cheers hipsters, grandpa's, blue collars, and budget boozers!

3.79/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

If you try this beer in a side by side comparison with any other adjunct lager, you will definitely taste the superiority. Most adjunct lagers taste relatively the same but there is much more going on in a can of Pabst than just cheap beer. I honestly think this beer gets more snobbery from bud light "top shelf" buyers than it does from craft buyers, which says something. It shows that the cheap price is deceiving to price snobs who would be embarrassed to be seen consuming anything considered "cheap," regardless of taste and quality.

2.53/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

DATE TASTED: December 23, 2015... GLASSWARE: 22 oz. pilsener...OCCASION: toasting another Cavs win... APPEARANCE: ultra clear, light golden body with visible swirls of effervescence; the head is spongy, thick and bursting with bubbles of white; hedgerows of lacing is left behind; ... AROMA:immediate apple/pear hit the nostril, along with the awkwardness of oats, hay and beefy biscuit...PALATE: soft, thin, and absolutely evasive in its presence--swift to its end, and the end is bitter; oily with flat carbonation...TASTE: oats and soft malts create a woody, slightly metallic water-heavy profile; otherwise, as soft and nondescript as 24 ounces of beverage can get...a salty cracker sifts its way in as the can drains...OVERALL: as far as blue-color working cans go, one could do much worse than Pabst...I know my father's generation laments the loss of the "old" recipe, but this offering does its job by refreshing without restraint...easy-drinking to the point of slamming....a good-looking can, worth mentioning

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

I always have PBR in my fridge...always. Its a solid palate cleanser, Monday slammer, and Sunday closer.

But don't get me wrong i love the tastiest... i also have some heady, swish, stone unfiltered, flower power, flower child, fishermans, lights on, and of course...the home brewed galaxy ipa

cheers!!

3.48/5  rDev +15.6%

This is my favorite cheap beer. It comes in a classic and patriotic look that I love. It is very refreshing and is best consumed when ice cold, usually accompanied by some American food like burgers or hot dogs. It is very watery and smooth, but crisp.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

It's Pabst. You can't expect much and you can't complain about the value. I'm younger but when I drink it I get an old school feeling. I can have a few but after a bit the taste gets a little skunky and tough to stick with. I'd rate it higher if I could consistently drink it but it is pretty sweet and the carbonation goes away fast. But for the price, I won't complain.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Classic. By far my choice among cheap, light lagers. Drink it cold, it is crisp with nice, slightly bitter flavor. It's great to drink a PBR every now and then when you just want something simple. Can't beat the price, less than a dollar a beer in Texas, and one of my spots has tall drafts for less than 2 bucks! Simply put, if you don't like PBR, I don't like you!

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

OK I spent 2.5 years in Germany. During that time, as now, I was an avid beer drinker. Now I'm old enough to remember when I got back from Germany, American beer was cow piss.

Years have passed and I am on the verge of brewing something myself. Probably a Pilsner.

But, we are talking about a beer that costs less per 12 pack than one bottle of a hell-o-beer assortment.

Yes, it is watery, Yes it hasn't much flavor or to put it frankly nothing to offend. It is 5% alcohol. Cheap and available anywhere. American cow piss? I think not.

The Snobbish assholes talking crap about a $7 per 12 pack beer need to get a grip.

It is cheap tastes OK for what it is which is a Miracle in itself. This beer could easily be like Milwaukee's Best. But it's not. This should be obvious to anyone.

BTW it smells, tastes and feels like beer. Especially after about 6 of them.

3.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

To those whose taste buds have been jaded by a surfeit of hops, this may well taste like lightly carbonated water. But this is hands down the best American adjunct lager you can buy today. The King of Lawnmower Beers. The beer you buy for a party where people who know little about beer will be drinking beer. The beer you remember from high school and college. I wouldn't buy it or drink it on a regular basis. But when I need an American adjunct lager, this has go-to written all over it.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yellow body with little head. This is followed by a fresh corn aroma, something that I found to be rather startling in an adjunct lager. The taste, again, has that fresh corn taste, with a little bit of malt leading into a nice, smooth finish. All in all not bad, though I'm more of a pilsner person myself in terms of lager.

2.1/5  rDev -30.2%

how this beer has a better rating than budweiser i'll never understand. this is like budweisers ugly cousin. it's cheap and that's the only good thing about it. i remember a bar/concert venue selling pbr's in a can for 50 cents each back around 2007, so that tells you how cheap it really is.

4.27/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another good, honest American Lager. The reputation it has as a "cheap beer" is really a shame. In my opinion there's a big difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Either way, I'm glad it's getting a big revival.

3.99/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 4.5

appearance-clear, carbonated, golden

smell-smells alot different than the budweisers or coors banquets and i really like it. doesnt smell hoppy at all but smells pretty good

taste-best tasting beer ive ever had. even when warm this beer tastes good. no noticable hops or anything like that but i think the corn gives it a good taste as well.

feel- feels like any other big corporate beer.

overall-best tasting beer ive had. definatly recomend anyone to try it.

2.24/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Never understood the fascination. This beer is not good. Better served ice cold. It is fairly crisp with little aftertaste. It's not the worst, but that doesn't make it good.

3.44/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is one of the few light beers that I enjoy. If I feel like getting something much lighter than normal, I go for this. It's very flavorful despite not having much color or fullness.

2.44/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Look and nose are that of most other common adjunct lagers out there. That all-too-known piss gold with a very light grain scent. One thing Pabst has going for it, although this beer still being quite watery and lacking any real body and bite, is the fact that the grain and corn are picked up a little more here, making it a little more tolerable than the other mass-market adjunct lagers out there but at an even more reasonable price.

3.46/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My favorite ski beer....load up your backpack, find a tree well, and stash those brews to keep em' ice cold and tap that "keg" throughout the day!

Standard cheap mass produced beer...little head if poured properly, but, more often than not, you're killlin this brew out of the can in less than a minute so no pouring involved.

Smells of standard corn and grain of all cheap, "lets race to see who finishes first" brew-ha.

Out of all cheap brews, PBR is BY FAR the best in terms of flavor and body....actually has a decent slight bitter aftertaste.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My go-to beer. Known affectionately by me and my own as, "The Bloobs," "The 'Ol Red, White 'n' Blue," "Blueberries," and "The Legend, The Classic."

Needless to say, I love this beer. Best of the cheap stuff. Can't find any in bottles and I can't order any in, so I'm stuck with cans, but at least they make me look a bit more rough around the edges, like a retired firefighter who beats his children. Not much for a nose, but a good taste with a balanced level of carbonation and a soft, cozy mouthfeel that makes me want to pop a hole in the bottom with one of my canines and shotgun it. Smooth as silk and tasty as pie. Can't beat the PBR.

4.33/5  rDev +43.9%

L: Really? Ok. Standard aluminum can. Looks like it's union made in Wisconsin. Hey, it won a blue ribbon in 1893! Above average for the style. 3.5 points.

S: Sweet and a bit of malt. Nothing offensive and typical for "slummin it" beer. 3 points.

T: Oh man. This is the flavor of a thousand stupid/happy memories! So 5 points for nostalgia!

F: Feels like a cold, round beer can, hah! And pretty typical for a mass produced American mass produced pils in the mouth. 4 points.

O: After mowing the lawn, hiking up a mountain, biking for 60 miles, etc... nothing can beat it. Don't throw out your sour Belgian beers and keep your small batch stouts in the cellar. Keep a few of these in the fridge door as a modern survival kit! 5 points if you drink this in the right place and time.

3.63/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Drink by: Who Cares... poured into a white wine glass for "science"*

A- Yellow honeysuckle body with a two-finger head that comes to a crown rather quickly. Moderate lacing. Looks great to be honest.

S- Corn, white bread, and faint hops. Slightly Eurotrash. Reminiscent of that American hipster that swears she lived in Germany until she was 3. Pretty legit nonetheless.

T- Pretty much the same with some mild cucumber, kumquat, and earthy hops. ( Honestly, this is as serious as Herpes... & I'm not talking Simplex B. If you're upset you can go cry to your mom about that cold sore)

F- Front row of a Lynard Skynard concert piss drunk. Jesus is the frontman and you're sitting back like Keith Richards. Lively, yet slick. Cool, calm and collected.

O- Life's a Garden, Dig It. Get a PBR & make it work for ya.

*I'm lazy and didn't feel like getting another drinking vessel, but this actually made the experience all the better. Stay classy.

3.29/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my go-to "shitty beer". Tastes decent and for the price I can't complain. Found everywhere. Good for beer pong and getting sloshed, but still having some flavor.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company