Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,679 | Ratings: 5,381
3.28/5  rDev +9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

In a complicated world where a beer can only be considered "good" if it has chocolate or gingerbread, or some other things that do not belong in my beer, PBR is a breath of fresh air. As far as American Adjuncts go, this is neck in neck with the gold standard, Budweiser (sorry beer snobs), but PBR has a little more flavor.

It smells like beer. Everything you would expect: a little yeasty, a little malty, and not really over the top with hops. It has a balanced smell that does not smell stale like some other adjuncts can, and it is fairly subtle.

The taste is classic, and reminds me of a simpler time when beer was affordable for everyone and was not becoming increasingly gentrified: not too bold, not too watery, but just in the middle. The reason I like adjuncts is because they are very neutral beers on the whole; there is not an over the top taste that can burn one out quick, and there is not a taste that really has to be acquired. PBR nails the archetype of the adjunct, and I have bought 12 of them for less than a tall draft of beer that tastes like burnt coffee at the local craft beer bar down the street.

One thing I have noticed is that the beer market has trends, just like everything else. A lot of the microbrews that were big a decade ago went the way of Zima, and I imagine that the majority of the ones popular at the store now will as well. One thing is certain though: if I want a real tasting beer without gimmicks and pretense, I can always count on PBR.

4.27/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another good, honest American Lager. The reputation it has as a "cheap beer" is really a shame. In my opinion there's a big difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Either way, I'm glad it's getting a big revival.

3.25/5  rDev +8%

This is one of the best mass produced beers I have run across. I prefer it to many of the others in it's class. I feel it packs more flavor and color then many of it's competitors. It pours a nice yellow and has a faint citrus taste to go along with it.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A- Like any other American lager, it's light yellow, thin head, little lacing.
S- Not nearly as bad as other selections, but nothing exceptional. There's no need to smell a PBR, I promise.
T- This, in combination with price, is what sets PBR above the rest of the pack. Not a great beer, but not a bad beer either. It's got body and substance, unlike other budget selections.
M- Like any other beer, maybe a bit fuller.
O- PBR is a good beer for a great price. I get it for $1.25 a pint at the local bars, cheapest thing on the menu and probably the best "go-to" beer available in my area. When drinking on a budget, you can't really beat a good old peeber.

3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

I think anyone involved in this website would define themselves as an individual passionate about great tasting beer. And the American Adjuct Lager is probably toward the bottom of our lists if we were to choose which beer we would drink.
However, if I may be somewhat "cliche" for moment, considering the holiday....
I watched fireworks from my driveway tonight with my family and neighbors and there clinched in my hands was none other than an ice cold PBR. Pabst, in my opinion, remains one of those bulwarks, that has become part of American history and tradition. Most of us grew up watching our fathers grasp can after can of this stuff, especially on hot summer days after the grass had just been cut. I would bet that almost every one of us "cut our teeth" on Pabst or one of the many adjucts in its category trying to steal sips of it when Dad wasn't looking. I guess that's why this sense of nostalgia has hit me like a bomb tonight. PBR isn't a great beer, its a decent beer considering the price, and a good beer if considering the category it resides in, probably at the top of American Lagers.
So, yeah I was happy to have an American classic in hand to celebrate our independence.
I never really planned on reviewing this beer. I've had it many times before and most definitely will again. I agree with almost all of the previous reviews for this brew. But, I felt that sense of pride sitting there celebrating the independence of still the greatest nation on earth and enjoying a classic american beer with some friends even if it wouldn't have been the first beer I would have picked in the first place.

3.41/5  rDev +13.3%

This beats all the other lagers in the mainstream market. My choice for a simple, refreshing American Macro Lager. I'd choose this over a Bud of Coors any day. Crisp, clean, and refreshing. Perfect for a large outdoor gathering or BBQ. Easy on the wallet as well. A winner.

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Ever since PBR won the Gold Medal at the 2007 GABF, I've been interested in trying it. I was looking for a CHEAP summer lawn mower beer, and I can say, PBR does the job and fits the bill.

$11.50 a case of cans.Perfectly good for those hot humid summer sit outside and sweat days. I am a homebrewer, I can't even make my own that cheap.

Pours yellow and fizzy into a pint glass, huge white head that rapidly disappears and leaves little lacing. No real smell. No apparent hop flavor, it's mildly malty. Best when very cold.I can drink a six pack easy and will have no ill effects, in fact, I'll be sober in a couple of hours.

I've had everything from St Bernardus Abt 12 to Victory Prima Pils, German, English, Belguim and even Norweigian. Thrilling to find a cheap enjoyable drinkable beer.

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer is available at most places.

A- Appearance is normal for this type of beer.

S- Not too much smell too it.

T- This beer doesnt have much flavor, a little metallic, but not offensive.

M- mouthfeel is normal.

D- I can easily clean off a six pack of this. I probably wouldnt buy it more than 2 times a year but its relatively smooth and a good beer to have when you want to put away a few.

3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

on tap @ the Other-Side cafe in Boston.

Nothing special, just an easy drinking American-Style Lager. I think PBR has become more trendy lately, as the price of a 30-rack has went up from $13 to $17. Still, its cheaper than the big 3, and definetely better as well. Seems to be hoppier and creamier on tap than from the can or bottle. Solid choice when you're low on funds.

2.45/5  rDev -18.6%

This is yet another kegger beer. Perfect for getting hammered and little else. A beer pong staple. Goes good with pizza too. It is good for a really cheap beer. I have to give it that. For what it is I guess I can't complain. It tops the light beers but still is far from good in my book.

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%

This is one big brand that, to me anyway, holds a bit of nostalgia that I may have given me the predisposition to like it. My great granddad downed PBR's like they were water and he was in the middle of a desert. As with any adjunct lager my first tasting of PBR was met with less that superlative expectations, which there again may have lead to my following assessment.

When it comes to classic american beers I have only tried a handful because Budweiser, Miller, and Coors have driven the rest out of town. Thankfully this one is sticking around, and in my opinion is here for the long haul.

The appearance is not all to exciting. Poured into frosted mug it gives about a finger of clean white head that actually hangs around for a minute. The smell is clean for this type of beer, leaving little in the way of imaginary vegetation for the nose to discover. The taste is clean as well, completely refreshing and just about the best for a hot day working outdoors, or just standing around the grill at the family barbecue (a place where you may need to keep few extra in a private stash to deal with the family). The mouthfeel is highly carbonated but is still refreshing and the drinkability is through the roof. One American classic that I'm proud to say is one of my favorite beers, and definitely my favorite in this style.

3.85/5  rDev +27.9%

I like this a little better than Schlitz, because it's easier to find and its about $2.50 cheaper, and taste a little better.

Color-Nice golden yellow
Smell-VERY clean sweet beer smell
Taste- nice balance of Bitter to sweet, very smooth

Overall- My 12 pack of bottles was $7.49 at Kroger, it was NOT past the date on the bottle, (Something that is COMMON for pabst products in my area). I really Enjoyed this American Classic.

2.3/5  rDev -23.6%

Good ol' PBR. I drank enough of this as a teen and it still follows me in adulthood.

A: Poured into glass from can. It looked like creamy pee.

S: Has a weird strong scent but mild at the same time.

T: God Awful. I don't even taste it. I just kinda chug it down and hope it stays down.

M:If I let it stay in my mouth I would puke.

D: I only buy this cause its cheap and when I dont have much money and wanna get drunk. If you have a few extra bucks please go somewhere else.

Serving type: can

1.91/5  rDev -36.5%

To say this beer is uninspired is to put it mildly. It has so many off flavors and peculiar aftertastes, it's a wonder how they manage that in such a watery brew. There is nothing to recommend Pabst Blue Ribbon for any reason. I wouldn't buy it for myself, and I wouldn't offer it to anyone else.

When it comes to domestics, mass-market, and cheap beers, this is by far the best of the bunch. Higher in alcohol content and beer flavor than the comparable beers, PBR is a great go to session beer that won't even remotely break the bank. The only downside is that hipsters have recently discovered the beer and claimed it as their own.

3.25/5  rDev +8%

bready, slightly sweet, lots of grain in the flavor. a bit of lemony hop bitterness on the tail end of the swallow. very drinkable... when served very cold, it goes great with pizza, wings, mexican food, etc. also pretty refreshing as a relaxing beer after a day of labor. no bells and whistles, but definitely solid for the pricepoint...$5.50 for 12 bottles.

Golden clean color in the glass and smells like a good cold crisp PBR should. It tastes like a good day on the river or getting face shots with ur bros and the mouthfeel is thirst quenching and refreshing. Overall its the best cheap canned beer you can buy and the can says nothin but freedom!

When it comes to PBR, I view it as one of the better cheap beers compared to Keystone Light,
around. For the price the beer is quite good with flavors of corn with a refreshing taste that makes it an ideal beer to enjoy on a hot day. There are better beers of course, but if you're low on cash and want a cold beer, then this the perfect beer to buy. Pabst Blue Ribbon pours a light yellow with plenty of head. For what it is, it's one of the better American beers on the market, and it is far better than the BMC garbage.

2.64/5  rDev -12.3%

Expected it to be worse according to the price. Not so bad, it's not a beer that's meant to be enjoyed, more of a beer to refresh yourself, sort of like a soda. If enjoyed cold and fast, it's nice. But if expecting to enjoy it for it's taste gradually, it's not that great. So I think 2.5 is a perfect rating so say that here's a slightly below average beer

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured a pale yellow, dirty gold color with a sickly, broken head.

Nose is full of dead grass, oxidized metal and drunk piss on an alley wall on a Saturday night.

Taste is borderline intriguing and foul. Over-ripe zucchini, rotten mushrooms and stale roasted almonds, with a sharp bitter finish.

It's pretty much really drinkable because it's gulpably light and super cheap. I would drink lots of it if I was uber poor, and tonight, I was at the bar. So there you have it.

2.3/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance:light straw color lots of big bubbles in the head...no Brussels lace to speak of

Smell:mildly yeasty....yea that is about it

taste: tastes lighty malty and not too strong flavor and almost impossible to taste hops(call it drinking ipas most of the time)

Mouth feel:super big bubbles and thin as hell...not too smooth(unlike kenny loggins)

drinkablity:I guess I can drink this for a dollar at my local hipster bar...and look at hot chicks...but otherwise...ehhh...give me a good pilsner

3.97/5  rDev +31.9%

It is what it is. It's got a nice even taste, not too bitter and not too weak. It succeeds where Bud Light fails. PBR is a good beer to have when you have a long day. It's got a nice dark appearance and it's great in a can. Want to know the best part though? The price. For a 12 pack it's $7
No joke, cheaper than a 6 pack of Budweiser. All though, I do enjoy PBR even though it's not my favorite.

2.6/5  rDev -13.6%

30 pack of inexpensive beer. Carries with it a couple of intangibles - a certain underground cachet, and a personal connection with the aroma (as the sense of smell is closely associated with memory). The smell of PBR reminds me of the softball fields of my parents' leagues when I was younger, and of fishing with my Dad.

I should be able to separate myself from these attachments to make a fair judgement of this brew.

Pale color, faint aroma. But it does have a good mouthfeel and a passable taste.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

II just had a 16 oz can tasted great. must have had skunked beer in the past. Now I'm a believer. But I still think Hamm's premium is the best inexpensive brew. Started buying Pabst and Hamm's as go to beers. May be swaying to Pabst.

2.67/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Really light color. Couple shades darker than dark lemonade. very light, not so pleasant smell like water and flour. Taste is watery with that kind of wheat flour taste. Kind of a sour after taste. Not really a good beer but it gets the job done. Not the worst beer out there. there isnt really much of a mouth feel.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company