Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,684 | Ratings: 5,424
2.6/5  rDev -13.6%

30 pack of inexpensive beer. Carries with it a couple of intangibles - a certain underground cachet, and a personal connection with the aroma (as the sense of smell is closely associated with memory). The smell of PBR reminds me of the softball fields of my parents' leagues when I was younger, and of fishing with my Dad.

I should be able to separate myself from these attachments to make a fair judgement of this brew.

Pale color, faint aroma. But it does have a good mouthfeel and a passable taste.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

II just had a 16 oz can tasted great. must have had skunked beer in the past. Now I'm a believer. But I still think Hamm's premium is the best inexpensive brew. Started buying Pabst and Hamm's as go to beers. May be swaying to Pabst.

2.67/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Really light color. Couple shades darker than dark lemonade. very light, not so pleasant smell like water and flour. Taste is watery with that kind of wheat flour taste. Kind of a sour after taste. Not really a good beer but it gets the job done. Not the worst beer out there. there isnt really much of a mouth feel.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

As a Semi broke college kid this is the perfect beer for a night of heavy and excessive drinking, or when watching the game at a relaxed restaurant. Other than that this beer is just okay.

3.58/5  rDev +18.9%

I won't waste any time with how it pours, how it looks, how it smells. On those counts it is exactly like any American Macro out there. At $6 a 12-pack (bottles or cans) there is a simple way to review this beer: It is way above average for what it is. For an American Macro on the cheap it has flavor and there is nothing offending about it. It is better than most American Macros out there and even those pushing twice the price. For whatever reason I find the beer out of a can better than the bottle. A good lawnmower beer. If you can find Schlitz I would go for it instead but if not, Pabst is a good choice.

3.56/5  rDev +18.3%

PBR is the great old standby. It is what it is, and in the AML category, PBR stands above the big three like no other...

A- Lets be honest, does anyone really care how PBR looks? Pale yellow, like a beer in this category should.

Smell- Grassy and cereal-grainy. A bit of sweetness in there too.

Taste- PBR's taste is great, esp. when you aren't looking for much of a taste at all. Sweet and light, with a hint of hops as well.

Mouthfeel- Light. Watery. Like I said, it is what i is.

Drinkability- High. I could easily swill at least a six pack of these on a hot day. The key to enjoying PBR is having it cold, like from an ice filled cooler.

Just found a place around here that serves PBR on tap can't wait to try it draft!

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Generous amount of foamy white head the dissipates relatively quick. Leaves behind a think amount of even lacing around the glass. Color is medium straw and clear.

Smell is rather light with a slight sweetness and grain notes. Very crisp aroma with almost no hop presence.

Taste is light but very crisp and refreshing in that their is a healthy amount of carbonation. A very slight malt finish that is also dry.

Overall a great Amercian lager that is better than any of the other big macro brews of the same style. Also, price is amazing. This beer holds a special place in my heart and in my fridge as an easy drinking standby. Also, would never schedule a grill out or BBQ without at least a 12 pack or two on hand.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

A: typical AAL appearance -- see-through golden, quickly dissipating head, and a decent amount of carbonation.

S: less corny than other "flagship" AAL brands. Grains and malt permeate the air.

T: once again, typical for its style. Has a generous amount of malt and grain, with negligible hints of corn.

M: nothing special here. Has a decent body for the style.

This is a good, less-expensive alternative to full-priced American lagers. If a bottle, pint, or can is $2 -- or less -- at a dive bar, I will usually drink one or two.

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Where can I start? I have so many good memories with this beer. I lived in Albuquerque for a little while and we used to go down town to this Punk Rock bar named the Atomic Cantina. They had $1 sixteen ounce cans all day every day. Great way to start a night of bar hopping.
As usual, I review beers based on style but also reality.
Pabst is great clean American beer.

Nothing fancy here. Lighter than Budweiser, cleaner than Miller and Coors. Tastes like cold, clean, crisp goodness. Okay this is not a "beer snob" type of beer. It's not even my favourite beer either. But every once in a while I will choose this over ANY beer of ANY style. Usually when I'm broke, LOL... But that's besides the point.

Pours light golden in colour.
Smells like cereal grains and sweet malty overall
Smells very neutral. Slightly sweet.
Tastes clean and crisp. Dry beer before it was popular.

This is a classic. And I highly doubt it will ever go out of style or production.

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this.

2.76/5  rDev -8.3%

i get made fun of alot after telling people that i enjoy an ice cold can of PBR from time to time, however it's always from the people thast think that miller lite is some sort of golden nectar so i pay no mind to the laughter. the truth is that PBR is one of the best beer values on the market today. it looks like a traditional american lager, you know like a corn yellow. has a nice white head that doesn't stay very long, and no lacing to speak off. smells like corn to me. and i find it to have a nice sweet taste. goes well with bratwurst, and hot dogs with sour kraut. you can knock these puppies back if you want to and still feel ok the next day. but for 12.99 a 30 you can't go wrong. it is also a very good beer to cook with.

3.13/5  rDev +4%

Good old PBR.
Pours a very pale straw with a small white head that has some retention, impressive for a macro.
Smells like a macro, grassy and cereal adjuncts.
Tastes slightly better than most macros, grassy and crisp, almost like a watered-down draft wheat beer.
This beer is very drinkable, until you realize the next morning that you drank 10 of them the previous night.
Not bad for how cheap it is, not bad at all.

3.27/5  rDev +8.6%

24 oz. All-American can purchased 10/25/2010 in Easthampton, MA.

Appearance- Poured fairly hard. Revealed a light orange/straw body on this american adjunct with a one finger head.

Smell- Husk adjunct detected. Some floral aromas, and some sharp grains.

Taste- Astringent front, mellow back. Taste of corn husk, crisp and clean aftertaste. Doesn't stick around much. I can't be too vividly appealing with the taste description of this. It's an american classic, but it's also an american adjunct style.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body for an adjunct. Fizzy.

Drinkability- Pretty good. Nothing offensive in this brew. Better from a bottle, but good from the can. I'd pick this over the big three anyday. Gets to be quite filling after a few, but it's a good american macro-brew.

I've been drinking PBR since I've been drinking beer. I've drank it from tin cans, aluminum cans, glass longneck bottles, and kegs. The only one I can't recommend is the tin cans, and they don't make those anymore anyway.

Where I grew up in the midwest, PBR was available everywhere. Every place that sold beer had six and twelve-packs of PBR cans, and every bar had it in kegs and/or bottles and/or cans. I drank many a pitcher of Pabst with friends over the years, and one of its best qualities is that it has always tasted the same. A nice strong, grainy American lager flavor. That flavor has virutally disappeared from American beers; replaced by the watered-down taste of the various versions of Budweiser, along with every light beer. Schlitz (owned by PBR) has recently come out with what is supposed to be its 60's formula at a much higher price, but you can still get the old formula Pabst for the regular price. It has never changed, and it's probably the best remaining example of a premium American beer.

I prefer bottled beer myself, and seldom bother with a glass. When you open a bottle of Pabst you are rewarded with a grainy, alcoholic aroma, not in any way overpowering, though. The taste that follows is clean and sharp, again with a grainy flavor that always occurs in a good American-style lager.
I judge this beer as an American lager. I prefer Bocks myself, but you can't really compare Bocks to lagers or to wheat beers, and so on. And as an American lager, Pabst Blue Ribbon is as good as any.

3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

In my quest to find a beer that was both delicious and affordable, overwhelmingly positive reviews convinced me to try it. I'm sitting down a few months later now to review it.

Appearance is extremely clear. Not a lot of bubbles, lacing, or head. Yellow/straw coloured. Served in a pint glass.

Smell is not so typical of a cheap beer. Not overly sweet or harshly bitter. Fresh and bready with a sour twist.

Yum! Taste is fantastic and instills visions of hot, sunny days and BBQs with friends. Nothing special, but a sweet malt profile combined with a reserved hop bitterness blend perfectly to hide it's truly adjunct nature.

Mouthfeel is o.k. and suffers from that kind of syrupy feel that most cheaper beers do. Still, not too bad and is otherwise very smooth.

Drinkability is excellent. It's better cold.

Not similar to what I would usually hail as a good beer, it is decidedly different enough from it's bland competition to be respected.

2.76/5  rDev -8.3%

Ah...finally got to reviewing PBR.
Pours a clear light straw/golden color with a massive white foamy head from a 24 oz can, with freshness date on the can.
Aroma is grainy, sort of wheat husk, with hints of bready yeast and malt.
Crisp, pale, grainy, malty lager. Easy to drink and kinda refreshing too. A very good lager, especially for the price that it is sold.

3.09/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

OK, everyone has had this so no need to state the obvious. This beer is what it is and has survived for over 150 years, so it is no fad.

I call this my lawnmower beer, which means it's my go to beer after yard work when I'm thirsty.

I love it for what it is and keep a few in the fridge surrounded by a variety of craft brews. This is an American classic, god bless America.

3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

PBR has always been a decent, but not great, adjunct lager. Appearance is light yellow with soapy head that lingers a bit, active carbonation. Smell has grain dominance but also slightly sour. Taste is grain/corn flavor with mild hops on the back. Mouthfeel is good and crisp, when cold very drinkable. I like to drink pabst from time to time usually in tall boy form straight from the can. Flavor seem weaker than I remember 20 years ago. The hipsters drove prices of pabst steadily up as the brand has rebounded over the last decade so stopped buying it for awhile. Post 2010 acquisition the prices seem to have dropped so the brand may be heading back to budget pricing.

2.87/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance: Extremely light yellow with small head.

Smell: Bread malt aromas with light hops and light yeast.

Taste: Light, thin body with a bitter ending.

Mouthfeel: Short retention that allows for a rather quick second drink.

Overall: Although it's a below average beer, it's the best "cheap" beers out there. Definitely better than bud light, natty light, keystone, and other comparable beers. Easy to drink for volume purposes, but other than that, useless.

2.98/5  rDev -1%

PBR. I've tried this before, but I haven't bought it at a store in a long time. It was $5.00 for a twelve-pack at one of the nearby markets, so I decided to give it a go.

Appearance: Nice can. Red, white, and blue -- hey, these colors don't run! The beer, poured into a 16-oz. glass mug, is neither red, white, nor blue. It's yellow.

Smell: It has an unusual smell. Not skunky, but funky. Motor oil? I'm not sure.

Taste: I can't understand why some drinkers praise this beer's "complexity". To me, it has a bland "cheap beer" flavor with a fading touch of hops and something else that I can't identify. Motor oil?

Mouthfeel: Dull and oily. I would like it a lot more if it had more carbonation.

Drinkability: I can easily drink six PBRs in two hours, so I guess it's pretty drinkable.

Overall: I can't understand why PBR has become the "King of Cheap Beers". Nothing special at all.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%

Looks like beer.... smells like beer.... nothing special there. tastes better than any of the big boy beers "bud, coors, miller, etc." and is usually cheaper to boot. I would not go around preaching its virtues but a great beer for playing drinking games as it is easy to pound and does not leave me felling like a $2 wh%#& after doing so.

3.37/5  rDev +12%

This beer stands out from other standard American Lagers. They are certainly doing something right all these years in america if it was named Americas Best in 1893, giving Pabst its infamous title Blue Ribbon, survived prohibition, and maintains status as one of Americas favorite go to Lagers today. Certainly a favorite hit on PBR three dollar pitcher night at my local bar.

It appearance is interesting, its a very flat color, and looks like a very honey-yellow, normally single color brews look uninteresting, but its color is very pleasant. It pours with solid white head, that quickly disperses. Its smell leaves a lot to be desired, it isn't unpleasant, its very nearly nothing at all, very unassuming. It tastes mild and unassuming, nothing unpleasant about it. Its mouthfeel, is fantastic, very sharp, very crisp, tingly and pleasant. Overall very drinkable, not the most interesting beer out there, but pretty refreshing when you want something light & refreshing.

4.57/5  rDev +51.8%

what can be said best abot this beer its the "KING" of Macro Beers.

What can I say this is a nice hot day summer beer. PBR was a shocker to me when I first tasted the smoth clean taste. Mush betther then a high life or a budweiser.

A- golden yellow with a thin head

S- Not much smell just a little hint of hops

T- Taste is smooth no bitterness with a just a hint of hops at the end.

M- crisp a clean

D- This is an all day football drinking beer or a good party beer.

I have on a PABST kick no for several weeks and its hard to get off of it. I must say for having more the 50 different selection to choose from I go for a PABST first.

2.77/5  rDev -8%

This is a very cheap beer. You get what you pay for. But out of all the cheap beers this isn't a horrible choice, especially when you compare it to the bud's or miller's, it is actually better. While anyone would prefer a better quality beer...this is not a horrible cost effective way to go for those on a very tight budget.

3.4/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: I poured a can into a standard pint glass. A nice head forms that quickly disappears, leaving nearly no lace. The color tends to be a very slight golden. Nothing gorgeous...

Smell: One of the few beers that has nearly no smell. Just a very small hint of grain/malt. Not great, not bad... just rather average.

Taste: Quite possibly the only beer I enjoy out of a can... Grains and malts splash on the tongue with almost no remnants of hops. Almost sweet when a fresh batch is consumed. Great with salty foods.

Mouthfeel: Quick and clean, which is the way a lager should be. Gives you a nice lick of flavor without a poor aftertaste.

Overall: One of my favorite inexpensive beers. During the school semester when money is a little tight I usually opt for this beer for its decent flavor and high drinkability. My family has been religiously drinking it since we can remember. The best among American Lagers... hands down.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company