Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,675 | Ratings: 5,392

Yeah, at 12.50 for a 30 pack of cans it's hard to beat this for a lawnmower macroswill selection. I prefer the bottles in overall taste, but poured out of the can this one has a very smooth creamy mouthfeel. Fizzy yellow with a frothy white going on, this beer is designed for people like me. In college and broke, so as far as aroma goes it's has a cereal grain adjunct based aroma but it's actually not that bad kind of pleasant in fact. I can definitely get down with this beer, for it's taste, price, and flavor can't go wrong. Taste is sweet with some balancing hop bitterness to create one of the best shittiest beers in the world. An American classic that is designed to be drank in high capacity.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a very clear yellow gold with a thin white head. Nose is grainy and smells like pee. Flavor is actually quite smooth. Slight sweet tone. Grainy kind of earthy tone. Feel has a thick carbonation that really makes me burp. Liquid feel is typical. This is an easy drinking lager IMO. For what it is, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

3.21/5  rDev +6.6%

The beer is light golden and transparent with a half inch of pure white head. Aromas of grain, bread, corn, adjuncts. Not as sweet and off putting as the BMC highly marketed crap that is seemingly everywhere. Grainy with some cereal-like character. Clean and refreshing. Basically, exactly what you would expect from a decent adjunct lager. Ok.

2.1/5  rDev -30.2%

Even an agressive pour resulted in barely a half a finger of rocky, bone-white head with lousy retention, ending in wisps. There was no nose to speak of. Well, maybe a light sweetness, but barely discernible. The color was beautiful deep-yellow/light-gold with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was thin, watery and it had a light sweetness on the tongue. The finish was light, cottony, non-existent. I might as well not even have been drinking beer. This could have been air, it was so light as to float away. Aarrgh!

A couple of last thoughts, both allusions to movies. In "Blue Velvet", Dennis Hopper as Frank has a convo with Kyle MacLachlan. "Hey, kid, whadddya want to drink?" "Heineken, please." "Heineken?!? F**k that s**t! PABST. BLUE. RIBBON, mister!" How about neither?

In "Repo Man", Otto looks wistfully at The Circle Jerks, now reduced to lounge singers in gold lame outfits, shakes his head and says, "And to think, I used to like those guys." And to think, I used to drink PBR on Wednesday nights at the Sub Cafe in New London, Connecticut like it was going out of style.

3.13/5  rDev +4%

Pours straw yellow with a fizzy head that slowly descends to a wisp. A little lacing is left.

The smell is typical macro adjuncts with some grassiness thrown in.

Slick hops and a touch of alcohol are noticeable at first. There is also some sweet malt and subtle grass. A touch of corn is hinted at as the drink progresses. Water nearly dominates after awhile, but it's not as watery as many other macros.
It has a drying quality that cuts some of its refreshingness, but maintains some aftertaste.

For a very cheap macro, it could be much worse. I had a few of these at the pool in the heat on Sunday and found that I felt more like I was drinking beer than if I had many the big, more expensive macros. If you are in a place that allows only cans, you can do worse, especially for the price.

3.02/5  rDev +0.3%

1B
Pours a medium straw to yellow color with a smallish bubbly white head that slowly dissipates. Light sweet grainy malt aroma with just a hint of corn and light fruitiness. Small bit of floral hops aroma. Sweet almost honey like malt flavor with a bit of fruity bready graininess. Very little hop flavor but a firm hop bitterness. Light to medium body with a spirited level of carbonation that pricks the tongue with every sip, and a sweet slick watery mouthfeel. Worlds above the last beer, decent enough and probably close to style, but a bit boring.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a pale gold with 1/2" of dense, foamy head. Good retention. The smell has notes of grains, pale malts, straw, and earthy, grassy hops. The taste is straw and grains with grassy hops. There's a slight bitterness, but overall well balanced. The mouthfeel is light, smooth, and crisp.

Of all the adjunct lagers this one probably comes closest to actually duplicating a pilsner.

2.2/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I had been reading with interest the many newspaper and magazine articles relating the chic-ness that this lager enjoys within the cool and cultured set, and sought out to try one of these myself and find out if I can hang with the hipsters and quaff their brew. So I elbow-jabbed that mumbling, shaggy Bohemian-type, made off with his cold tall one, and absconded to a faraway booth in this desolate rock club, pen light in hand, to shine on my notebook as I search to divine the secrets of this mystical, magical beer.

Okay, I'm lying.
In truth, well, I'm a fraud. This is my beer. If I ever praised a beer before for it's flavor, taste, or character, well, that was bull. I don't think they should have anything to do with any beverage, especially beer. Yeah, if you ever catch me without a whole case of PBR in the fridge, I must be having a bad day.

I lie again. I sample this in the spirit of honoring that adage of not knocking it if you ain't tried it. Actually, I must have tried it at some point, but how could I remember? So, here we go...
Appearance: sickly pale yellow color, very clear, just the way beer is supposed to be, dammit! Head is bone-white, fluffy, and quite prodigious, slowly, softly setling.
Aroma: very spare, bone-dry, but not terrible. Typical plain lager-y smell, without skunk or trace of adjuncts. A bit of sweetness, too, just a bit.
Taste: wetness. Nothing. The nadir, nada. Zilch. If it exists at all, it comes and goes without saying hello. Actually, again, not BAD, per se, but not really anything, either.
Body, light as can be, texture, none, finish? F'geddaboudit!
Really, there's nothing to recommend and no pleasure to be found, if you a seeker of taste in any form.
I'll quote beer scribe Stephen Beaumont's #1 reason to drink PBR, from his webite:
"You just don't care anymore."
Time spent with this beer is time wasted indeed.
This does the opposite of what a beer should do, in that it makes me more thirsty! For a real beer!

2.71/5  rDev -10%

Pabst has made a come back in main stream taverns here in Chicago. So I went throwback and tried it again for the first time. The color is golden clear with decent carbonation. The smell and taste are grainy. The mouthfeel is simple which makes it perfect for after lawn mowing type activities.

3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Beer poured from a can into a pint glass. Beer is yellow and completely clear. Forms a thin white head of small bubbles and there is a lot of carbonation. No lacing.

A little sweet in the nose, smells a little of cereal grain or corn.

Medium to low body, there is a strong aftertaste, mild sweetness up front. Aftertaste negatively affects drinkability. Overall not as good as I remember.

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

This is probably my favorite budget priced american adjunct lager to date, still it isn't something to get too excited about. Color is light golden, head is average-sized and foamy. The aroma is of sweet macro smell, very typical. The taste has more depth than other adjuncts I've had, grain and hops are more apparent. The overall strong point of the taste is a grainy sweetness. This is very drinkable and well worth the very low price for a 12 pack. Hands down this is my money saver beer choice.

3.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

07/25/09- Had on tap at Windy City Pizza in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- Via the tap into a pint glass. $2.25 every day..

Appearance- Pale golden color. Looks a bit watery. Had a solid 3/4 inch head which fades quickly. Leaves slight spots of fading lace behind.

Smell- Light notes of corn with a bready note carrying the beer.

Taste- Corn comes through, but not as much as in most macros. Heavy bready malt flavor. Hops..not really, but good flavor considering.

Mouthfeel- Pretty clean and crisp. Solid medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- Has always been my go to macro when I have one...the only one I stock on a semi-regular basis in my own home. Drinkable any day.

3.28/5  rDev +9%

What is it about this beer. I'm not a dirty hipster and I can afford to drink better. But $1 PBR drafts come along and I can't help myself. It isn't much to look at and the smell is only sweet and grainy. But the taste is smooth with a touch of malt. As it warms the adjunct sweetness is a bit much for me, but for what it is, it aint bad. If they just put a little more hops in here we'd have a really decent beer. Alas.

2.82/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

For April Fool's Day Vine Street Pub had this on nitro...and I had to try it.

Looks great. Clean, clear, nice foamed up white lace. For the style it's pretty.

Then it goes down hill. The stale grain and rice smell just...smells. Old socks. At least it is dumbed down a bit

Flavor, again, is dumbed down. Weak, but still not good. Just stale, old and a 'bad' sweetness.

The promising thing is that it is pretty darn smooth (and cold). I got to about 4/5ths through before I had to stop for the love of all that is holy. The carbonation would do well towards the end. It's just flat feeling now.

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a crisp, pilsner malt and adjunct scent that's light and dry. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pilsner malt flavor that low on hops and clean in the finish. It's a warm weather brew, no doubt. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a highly drinkable beer. It's one of the only macro lagers I drink.

2.53/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this silver can of goodness.

The beer pours a very light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is not good with lots of corn and wheat. The flavor is full of adjuncts with tons of corn, rice and wheat. Overall the aroma and flavor are incredibly bland. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a beer with nothing positive going on.

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Why do some establishments chill the hell out of their mugs? That's what I was thinking when I received my 25oz sample at an ice cold temperature. It's still decent ice cold, but it tastes better at merely cold (it took time for my sample to warm up), as the corn and hop flavors loosen up. Simple and refreshing beer without any astringent flavors.

3.13/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Pours a pale yellow with a gold tint. A finger and a half of white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of malt, cereal, light malt; light mineral and a hint of skunk (odd from a brown bottled beer). Pleasant flavor of biscuit malt, sweet wheat and light finishing hops. No evidence of mineral or skunk from the aroma. Flavor is light to moderate and well balanced for its style. Light bodied, as expected. A pleasant surprise for an adjunct lager. If I'm ever trapped in no-craft-beer purgatory, I will pick this up.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

Pleasantly surprised, lightweight, but very smooth, crisp and clean. Nice fluffy head on pale golden body. Not overly sweet, although adjunct rains are present in aroma and taste. Lager yes, but a head above the rest of the US macro brews.

2.53/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

On tap at a Irish Pub in Philly, been meaning to get back to this one for a bit.

A- PBR is a crisp light yellow color with just the faintest little cap i've ever seen, it eventually goes into nothing leaving a desd looking drink.

S- Corn and grain, no more no less.

T- There is more flavor in here than I was expecting but it isnt much more than some grain and corn, some sweet malts.

M- Not as lively on tap but I am unsure on the bar that was serving it, who knows how long this was sitting in the line. Below medium bodied.

D- I think I would enjoy this more out of a can, the appeal of this went away after 6 oz or so. Did not finish my pint.

3.06/5  rDev +1.7%

From a 12 oz. can . Pours a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smells of corn and malts. Taste is crisp,some malts finishes somewhat bitter, not bad but not full of flavor. Feels watery in the mouth. It is fairly drinkable, good for drinking games. The best thing about this beer is the price tag.

3.38/5  rDev +12.3%

According to my BA profile... this is review #1000... wow. Why review PBR? I was going to do something epic and "white whale", but generally, I am holding all of those cellar collection bottles to share with my Boise homeboys. Honestly, I am reviewing PBR, because bottle for bottle, can for can, I drink more PBR than any other beer. Sierra Nevada Pale and Jubelale probably outweigh it lately, but that's just because the Chevron near my house has screaming deals better than any place in town... so anyway... enough philosophizing.. on to the brew.

24 oz huge tall-boy can picked up at Maverick for about $2.... poured into my Delirium goblet. Surprising 2 finger head... slinks back to a pretty descent cap... leaving nice drapes of white lace... the brew is polished pale gold.

Nose is grainy pale malts.. very clean.. hints of spicy hops??? probably in my imagination.

Flavor is every bit what you expect, but still somehow good/great for the style... a touch of sulfur reminds me how hard really pale clean lagers can be to make.

Body is light and carbonation is medium high... drinkablility is only a notch or two below water... Really great on 100+ days pushing the lawnmower or hanging out at the Symposion and playing Golden Tee.. but really.. for the most part, I must stop drinking this crap at home.

For what it is... it is good.. that said, I always say that "I am done drinking Pabst." If I do drink it, I drink too much and I'm not sure, but my intestines might have an allergy to the blue ribbon. :-)

With out a doubt... this is my favorite Macro... is this all grain?? any adjuncts?

4/3.5/3/3/4

3.07/5  rDev +2%

A. 12 oz. can poured into a wine glass. Yeah, I have a sense of humor, and want to take a glimspe of this spectacle. The palest of pales with a bubbly,frothy head that recedes gradually to nothing.

S. Grains, cooked corn, hint of malt.

T. Crisp tea like hop bite flashes for an instant, complimented a semi-sweet light malt body. Fairly well balanced and unoffensive for a macro style lager.

M. Light bodied and fairly smooth. Best if served ICE cold and consumed fairly quickly.

D. This is average drinking here. But compared to most macros, this is exceptional. Selected America's Best in 1893. As far as macros are concerned, it probably still is.

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%

On draft at Sweeney's, Garden City, New York.

Poured a clear light straw hue with a two finger foamy white head. There was goodretention and lacing.

The smell featured a lightly sweet adjunct grain with a mild floral hop.

The taste was rich for the style with a full adjunct graininess and balancing hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall tasty for a macro.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company