1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Old Milwaukee Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

None provided.

View: Beers
Reviews by baos:
2.95/5  rDev +25.5%

12 oz bottle into Dog-faced mug.

Was a little confused about where this beer is made and by whom? says Jos. Schlitz Brewing company, Milwaukee, WI. But here on advocate it says its made in Texas by Pabst? Does anyone know whats up with this?

A: Super pale almost clear. Big head that goes down to ultra thin layer a lot of lacing.

S: Smells like my dads breath when I was little.

T: Incredibly mild,metallic, and grainy tasting beer. Finishes dry. Very refreshing.

M: Thin lizzy playing at the alley cat.

D: I'll buy you a case and dwink it with you if you fix my motherfucking bwakes!!!

2.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

We've all been there... it's late and the party's winding down... but you aren't ready to call it quits just yet! You hobble off the couch where you've been firmly rooted for the past thirty minutes and by some miracle make it to the fridge. Unfortunately to your dismay you discover that your roommate Chet has been bogarting your delicious craft brews all night... there is nothing left in the fridge.

Surveying the room you discover what appears to be a can of crisp suds on top of the dirty Ping-Pong table. You pick it up. It's a lukewarm, half full can of Old Mil.

In most circumstances any respectable person would set the brew down and walk away... but not today. Attempting to salvage what remains you peel a sticky, used solo cup from the table and pour the remainder of the can. There is no head, only the clear clarity of filtrated piss water.

You raise the cup to you nostrils and inhale. Nothing... nothing apart from the stench of a freshly manured cornfield. From the moment the lager hits your lips you are instantly filled with regret.

What am I doing here?

Why am I drinking this?

I'm actually going to strangle Chet tomorrow?

Every now and then we need a shitty beer to remind us where we came from, so don't be afraid to crack open this (surprisingly crisp) cold one with the boys. Cheers!

2.91/5  rDev +23.8%

This is actually a decent beer. It doesn't present a 5 star aroma or taste but it is what it is... Just sweet enough (thanks adjunct) without being cloying and goes down smooth. It's a beer. I've been drinking craft for over a decade and have enjoy every bit of it. What I haven't enjoyed is witnessing the beer community evolve into someone that resembles the wine-snob bunch. There are really shit*ty beers out there that deserve to be scoffed at (Bud light, Coors light, beast light, etc) but Old Milwaukee isn't one of them. After drinking so many crafts for so long, I've actually came to appreciated these American classics that much more. You guys who are looking down your noses at beers like this will eventually come to this point too. Bank it.

4.43/5  rDev +88.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16 oz. can poured into pilsener
(July 24, 2017 best-by date)

L: yellow, maybe just a hint darker than "pale yellow", clear, pushes up huge thick head of white foam that's sticky; some activity in the glass but not nearly as much as the style sometimes affords ... enough though to keep most of a skin a thickish collar of white foam that laces a little; beautiful brew

S: dusty peach ... the dust reminds me of an abbey ale; bread malt and cracker under that ... the amount of sweetness is shocking; as it warms, peach kolache or apricot kolache; as it warms, just a hint of that house paint thing AALs often have; if you did know any better, you'd think this was an all-malt brew based on the nose ... loads and loads of malty aroma

T: smooth sweet bread malt and grain, a slight earthy note way in the background; enough malty flavor to make you think of a peach ... the flavor's not quite there, but much like the nose, there's plenty of sweetness; grain in the aftertaste

F: a little heavier than lightweight, loads of carbonation ... perfect

O: as good as I've come across in AAL land and so good it's going in my regular rotation of drinkers; better than lots of craft-brewed blonde ales and cream ales

3.2/5  rDev +36.2%

Every time I buy this beer at the corner store the clerk looks at me... then looks at the case of OM.... then back at me and asks: Why are you buying "Old Man Beer???". (I'm 28)

I figure its because the "Old Men" have figured it out! Good tasting beer at a rock bottom price. You can also enjoy several of these w/o getting filled up fast.

Even the beer snobs get this beer wrong on blindfolded taste tests! Funny stuff indeed.

A. Pour a can in a glass... wait, wait, nope.. no head.... little bit of lacing. Looks like beer thats been on the table for awhile but bubbles do rise fast.

S. Smells like a cornfield. Corn and Grain odors drift up into the nose.

T. Ice cold watery taste with hints of corn and bitterness after you swallow. Very crisp...

M. Is Average. Actually its prob. way above average for this beers price range.

D. VERY HIGH... you could drink a case of this after a long, hot day hanging dryway, paving roads, or hiking up & down trails building boardwalks. Plus its cheaper than dirt so you can buy beer for the whole crew.

OM is a Blue collar beer from the Rust-Belt BUT the "Old Men" who drink this continue to get the last laugh when this beer continues to suprise the beer snobs winning taste tests throughout Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio.

Serve EXTRA COLD... almost freezing.
Great at cook outs, baseball games, after a long tough day at work or just chillin' in the ice shack or out on the boat.

You can find it for around $3 a sixer BUT straight from a bottle is best.

CHEERS "Old Man"

3.67/5  rDev +56.2%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

3.21/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A crystal clear, straw-gold body is capped by a creamy bright-white head that holds well. Its retention is surprisingly good, and it leaves some nice lace to boot! The nose is exceptionally clean; with just a light touch of sweet malt. The body is light, and it's crisp in the mouth due to a fine-bubbled, median carbonation. Sweet malt makes up the entirety of the flavor, coming on strong at the start and slowly fading through the swallow. It's quite clean and devoid of any yeast characteristics. Adjunct is obviously being used at a high level as there's no real "grain" character present. It finishes drying with a dollop of sweet malt that receeds shortly. Very well made, but lacking in character.

3.52/5  rDev +49.8%

I wasn't expecting much from this brew to be honest. $4 for a six pack of 16oz cans, so really I bought this just because it was so cheap.

Here I am, 2 cans in, and fully expecting to enjoy finishing off the 6 pack! If I'm ever somewhere in need of a beer and have just about no money, this is hands down what I'll be grabbing if it's available.

Oh, what's the actual beer like? Nearly clear with massive bubbles (just drink it from the can and don't worry about the looks), tastes slightly better than your average AAL. Think Pabst but with just a little more oomph.

A welcome break to the palate from my usual hop monsters.

3.13/5  rDev +33.2%

Clear, crisp and inoffensive. In this price point having very little off flavor is a big deal. Schlitz Hop bite, very little malt. Less sweetness than Bud, less funky flavors than PBR. Light for a full bodied AAL. Must drink this beer alongside other AALs to appreciate. Depending on personal preference this will beat or be close the more expensive beers in this category, for me including PBR and Bud. This is the same price as Milwaukee Best in my area, and Old Milwaukee is a different level, blows Beasts doors off.

3.26/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It is what it is. Cheap AAL. Nothing awful about it, nothing special about it. Nostalgic for me as one of the beers I latched onto when I came of age. I have never been disappointed with the overall quality, unless I got a six-pack that had been sitting around for too long. I bet that if I poured a cold one into a tall glass, offering it to those who prefer Bud or Coors, without divulging the brand, the reviews would generally be good. Not great, but good enough for garden-variety AAL.

3.42/5  rDev +45.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Old Milwaukee is a fine American beer. Fine as in good and reliable, like a Ford Econoline van. But cheap ish. It has a light caramel flavor and goes down pretty smooth. The branding is retro but so is the flavor. It has a very old style taste. This beer is like something you'd get served in a stein at a German restaurant in 1978. It tastes fresh, but not modern. It would be a little embarrassing to order in a bar, but would be fun to drink lots of at an Oktoberfest with some chicken schnitzel. To me, Old Milwaukee has always been consistent over 20 years of drinking beer. If I get bored, it's fun to pick up a 6 or 12 pack every once in a while. It's a lot like PBR, but more old school. The people who grew up on this beer are already dead. But their memory lives on. This is a good beer for hunting or fishing, to bring with the boys. When it's cold, it tastes good. It is not a good beer unless it's really cold, because the maltiness comes through pretty strong. If this beer was a woman she would be your grandma. But she makes the best mac and cheese ever. Sort of a weird beer to still be around, because it's from another era. It isn't timeless like Budweiser, etc., but reminiscent of a certain specific time after WWII and before cell phones and pcs. Beers of this type were all over the place back in the day. Like when they came in short bottles and steel cans with the little opener thing before pull tabs.

3.03/5  rDev +28.9%

Not a bad chugger on a hot day. At six dollars a twelve pack, I occasionally enjoy. They're also not bad in Micheladas. Cool looking can. BUY IT. TRY IT.

3.32/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- Grain, barley and corn!!!
Appearance- A pale clear yellow color with a large white head.
Taste- Typical AAL but not bad, consider the price and the total disdain most have this is better than what most people make it out to be.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, has a smooth crisp finish
Overall- This brought me way back to my days in the Marines, "Old Milwaukee" beer tents out in the field. It tasted better back then, but hey it isn't horrible now.

3.71/5  rDev +57.9%

Old Milwaukee has a thick, creamy white head and a clear rich golden color. Carbonation is high. Aroma is metallic, grainy, and faint. The taste is stereotypical American lager, but with more boldness and sweetness than others of its ilk. Mouthfeel is medium. OM has a good bite to it. Finish is crisp and clean. Overall, it is a good product and holds its own against even higher-priced competitors.

RJT

3.75/5  rDev +59.6%

1.54/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Sugar water. Not worth the calories. I'd prefer water. Truly.

3.3/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Old Milwaukee beer is classic brew, That is brew by Past brewing company. This brew has an ABV of 4.60%. Old Milwaukee pours out a nice a golden Amber color, with a small white head. The smell of Old Milwaukee, is rich with grains and malts. You pick up a hit of of hops in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is sweet taste, it not bad. You pick up grains and malts in the taste of this brew. There is nothing overpowering about Old Milwaukee, it has a nice claen balance to it. The Mouthfeel of Old Milwaukee is clean, smooth and refreshing. This brew has the look smell and taste of most american style brews on the market today. I'm no saying that is a bad thing. Old Milwaukee is a Classic brew with a lot of history behind it. This is one of the more milded brews on the market. However it is a nice brew to drink with you are in the mood for a american larger. Overall I'm giving Old Milwaukee a 3.5 out of 5. This is a nice smooth drinking brew with no bad aftertaste. I would buy this brew again. Pabst Brewing Company did a nice job with this one.

1.06/5  rDev -54.9%

Could it get any worse!!!

2.27/5  rDev -3.4%

This is a brew that holds a nostalgic place in my heart. Had a case of these at about 45-50 degrees the day before my and my friends left for college. Stayed in the can so I can't say much about the color but the taste was decent considering the cost of the beers. Once again, considering cost, I would buy this beer. Great party stocker if you're expecting a lot of people.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

2.09/5  rDev -11.1%

Very yellow. Barely any head. Tastes like a very bitter cheap beer. To be fair I purchased these not with the intention to drink any of it but to mix with beer batter for a fish fry. I bought it because it was cheaper to buy a 6 pack of 16oz cans than it was to buy a single bottle of New Glarus beer in Wisconsin. I unfortunately drank the other 4 after using 2 for the fish. This brought me back to college, and drinking whatever was cheapest at the liquor store. Bad things.

3.48/5  rDev +48.1%

Glass - Pint

A - Extremely clear yellow color with lots of visible C02. It produced a 2-3 finger fizzy white head that held a bit and then dissipated to a thin ring. It left a bit of splotches on my glass.

S - A touch of tart grape when swirled but otherwise I get clean grain aroma's with a bit of musky lager yeast. Nothing off putting to me like other Adjunct Lagers.

T - Hmm, clean grain with a slight artificial like bitterness throughout and a bit of dryness on the finish. I think I like the taste of this one over allot of the other popular BMC's because it doesn't have any off putting corny or musty lager yeast flavors that make me gag.

M - Lite-medium bodied with moderate crispness that doesn't burn off your tongue.

D - This has gotta be the best Adjunct Lager I've had since Schlitz and Olympia. It's very very easy to drink like most of em, and it didn't have anything offensive to it really. I would say give it a try and you might be surprised, I would probably pick it up again because it's so cheap.

1.75/5  rDev -25.5%