Old Milwaukee Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

One of the best cheap AA Lager of there. Beats out Dos esquis, Coors light , bud light , miller high life, Busch just name a few.

Appearance: Looks like a straw beer. Yellow

Smell : Like American adject lage should smell like grains

Taste: Some grains and malts with little bite at the end. It very smooth old school beer taste.

Moutfeel: " Is medium to light

Overall : One is the best discounted American Adjunct Lagers out there. Old Milwaukee has that old school beer taste which you real can not find in many beers today.

How can pbr be rated so highly but not old Milwaukee? Shows the guys at beer advocate are a bunch of chums.

I love everything about this Beer. Been Drinking it for over 20 years. And here is to 20 more.. CheerZ!

4.8/5  rDev +90.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +89.3%

The boss needs beer...better make it the best.
Don't fool around when it's your turn to get the beer.

All that subliminal programming when I was a kid really paid off. OM is my favorite American Lager. Just a hint of hops, clean mouthfeel, goes down easy. This is a true American staple. Sure, if I have $9 to spend on a 6-pack, I'll pick up a specialty brew. Otherwise, it's OM for me.

4.5/5  rDev +78.6%

4.43/5  rDev +75.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16 oz. can poured into pilsener
(July 24, 2017 best-by date)

L: yellow, maybe just a hint darker than "pale yellow", clear, pushes up huge thick head of white foam that's sticky; some activity in the glass but not nearly as much as the style sometimes affords ... enough though to keep most of a skin a thickish collar of white foam that laces a little; beautiful brew

S: dusty peach ... the dust reminds me of an abbey ale; bread malt and cracker under that ... the amount of sweetness is shocking; as it warms, peach kolache or apricot kolache; as it warms, just a hint of that house paint thing AALs often have; if you did know any better, you'd think this was an all-malt brew based on the nose ... loads and loads of malty aroma

T: smooth sweet bread malt and grain, a slight earthy note way in the background; enough malty flavor to make you think of a peach ... the flavor's not quite there, but much like the nose, there's plenty of sweetness; grain in the aftertaste

F: a little heavier than lightweight, loads of carbonation ... perfect

O: as good as I've come across in AAL land and so good it's going in my regular rotation of drinkers; better than lots of craft-brewed blonde ales and cream ales

4.36/5  rDev +73%

I enjoyed this one straight out of the can, the way it's meant to be enjoyed, so no appearance notes here. Smell is grains and corn syrup. Very pleasant though. It has a delicious "old man beer" smell. On the sweet side, for sure.
Taste is classic "old man beer." Which is a term I use to refer to a that taste that is present in many of the older beer labels that got bought up by Pabst. I honestly enjoy that "old man beer" style. It's refreshing and cheap and way more enjoyable that most of BMC's shit. This is no different, except surprisingly one of the best I've had. It's a perfect classic. It's EXACTLY what I want when I look at the can. It may not be fancy, but it is just so positively dead-on-target for what I'm looking for in a cheap adjunct lager. And it's cheap as all hell, too. This may be a new frontrunner for the "best beer for your money," which is important to me. I like to spend money on fancy over-priced beers when I have it, but nothing is more important to me in a beer than economy x quality. Either of those alone is fairly useless information to me. This has tied Big Flats and Schlitz Gusto for economy x quality. It's not amazing, but it's a lot better than you'd expect at $8.41 for a 12-pack.

Back to more useful tasting notes though:
It's got all that delicious wet grain and corn syrup flavour that was on the nose, but it's not as sweet as the smell would suggest. It's really fairly dry. And as obviously cheap as the flavour is, it's really just indescribably pleasant. It's hard to put into words. The ingredients just taste good and natural. It doesn't have any weird flavours you don't want in there like Budweiser, Coors, MGD, or any light beer. It's just a regular old, easy-drinking beer-man's beer. Well, impoverished beer man, anyway. This is quite possibly the best ADJUNCT lager I've ever had, not including higher alcohol brews like euro strong lagers. It may be the only adjunct lager I need to buy from now on, but I will keep trying new ones when I find them. This one is so damn cheap, though.

4.35/5  rDev +72.6%

For the price, Old Milwaukee is a great beer.

It pours a light amber color. Smell is good. very drinkable.

mouthfeel is good, and it tastes great. On a hot day, mowing the lawn, this beer hits the spot better than the big 3 (bud, coors,miller).
Give it a try. dont let the price scare you, This cheap brew is pretty good.

4.26/5  rDev +69%

i like this beer cause of its cool old taste and strong brewing , but i think i will like it better if they had it in bottle presentation to conserve that brewing well fit

4.2/5  rDev +66.7%

Why didnt I try this sooner. I guess I listened to the stereotypes about this beer. Picked up 2 6-packs of the 16 oz. variety at Wal-Mart in San Antonio. It was only $3.45 a 6-pack. well worth every penny. i should have bought more. We dont have it in my lil hole in the wall town. It goes down so smoothly. Has a hint of a sweet taste to it. I will definitely buy this the next time I head to S.A.

4.2/5  rDev +66.7%

4.17/5  rDev +65.5%

Go to cheap beer. Refreshing after a 14 hour shift. Real mans beer.

4.04/5  rDev +60.3%