Old Milwaukee Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

2.33/5
Alströms:

2.25/5  rDev -3.4%

3.85/5  rDev +65.2%

This was an old favorite of mine because I used to purchase six packs of Old Milwaukee or Old Milwaukee Light after I turned 21. I liked it more than some of the other adjunct lagers at the time, but I haven't had this beer in years. The can says, "America's Best Tasting Beer." I liked this beer a lot when I was younger, but I'm going to review this as if I had this for the first time. Let's see if this lives up to the slogan.

Poured into an Old Milwaukee chalice. Pours pale yellow with a two-finger length white head that quickly dissipears. A small amoung lacing remains on the top of the beer with a thin white ring around the side after the head recedes. Very little lacing is left alongside the glass during consumption and the cap atop the beer disappears. However, that ring of lacing on the side of the glass atop the beer remains throughout consumption. There are a lot of bubbles visible rising from the bottom of the glass. This looks like the typical adjunct lager. There are aromas of barley malt, maybe a little corn and some hops. The smell conjures up memories of Schlitz, which is only natural because this beer was the budget alternative to Schlitz. The aroma is mild, but still pleasing.

The taste is bready from the malt and that flavor comes through very well. There is some sweetness in the background from the corn and the hop flavor is very mild. It has a little bite to it that you don't get with BMC, but it's not quite as strong as Schlitz. It is very clean tasting and well balanced. The flavor is excellent. The body is light and the mouthfeel is watery. The finish is crisp and dry, which is typical of adjunct lagers. It's very easy to drink like you would expect from an adjunct lager. It's very refreshing.

It's pretty easy to understand why this beer wins gold medals when you try it. It is a solid beer with good flavor and it is also very refreshing. This is a very good beer. If you are looking for an adjunct lager on a budget, but also want some flavor, you can never go wrong with Old Milwaukee. It may not be America's best tasting beer, but it is a very good beer.

Old Mill was as staple of the 70s and 80s. Everyone knows it simply "dont get no better than this", and if you can appreciate the grammar, you can appreciate old swill. In my area old milwaukee is only carried in one grocery and offered in 6 pack tallboy form only. The appearance is light straw colored, paler than either schlitz or pabst (old swill owned by pabst, sub-brewed by miller) with large white head that fizzes away. Surprisingly some lacing is left in the glass. The smell is rather neutral to weak, generic grains is about it, nothing offensive but nothing of note. Taste is similar, a bit weak with slight bitter, a cardboard papery taste as well. Mouthfeel is crispy and dry, is drinkable. Overall old swill is superior to other budget brands like natty, keystone, busch, etc but schlitz gusto is way better for slightly higher price.

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

3.67/5  rDev +57.5%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

4.36/5  rDev +87.1%

I enjoyed this one straight out of the can, the way it's meant to be enjoyed, so no appearance notes here. Smell is grains and corn syrup. Very pleasant though. It has a delicious "old man beer" smell. On the sweet side, for sure.
Taste is classic "old man beer." Which is a term I use to refer to a that taste that is present in many of the older beer labels that got bought up by Pabst. I honestly enjoy that "old man beer" style. It's refreshing and cheap and way more enjoyable that most of BMC's shit. This is no different, except surprisingly one of the best I've had. It's a perfect classic. It's EXACTLY what I want when I look at the can. It may not be fancy, but it is just so positively dead-on-target for what I'm looking for in a cheap adjunct lager. And it's cheap as all hell, too. This may be a new frontrunner for the "best beer for your money," which is important to me. I like to spend money on fancy over-priced beers when I have it, but nothing is more important to me in a beer than economy x quality. Either of those alone is fairly useless information to me. This has tied Big Flats and Schlitz Gusto for economy x quality. It's not amazing, but it's a lot better than you'd expect at $8.41 for a 12-pack.

Back to more useful tasting notes though:
It's got all that delicious wet grain and corn syrup flavour that was on the nose, but it's not as sweet as the smell would suggest. It's really fairly dry. And as obviously cheap as the flavour is, it's really just indescribably pleasant. It's hard to put into words. The ingredients just taste good and natural. It doesn't have any weird flavours you don't want in there like Budweiser, Coors, MGD, or any light beer. It's just a regular old, easy-drinking beer-man's beer. Well, impoverished beer man, anyway. This is quite possibly the best ADJUNCT lager I've ever had, not including higher alcohol brews like euro strong lagers. It may be the only adjunct lager I need to buy from now on, but I will keep trying new ones when I find them. This one is so damn cheap, though.

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

2.64/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Can 710 ml, ABV 4.6%
I bought this in Mexico, at a local Walmart. The head of this beer is ridiculous, most of my glass was full of it, no matter how softly I was pouring it or the amgle. Light yellow colour.
Aroma is sweet and fruity, I am thinking apples or maybe is the corn syrup.Taste is also fruity sweet, pleasantly drinkable after all the head has finally gone off.Very thin on the body, almost watery, not much carbonation.

2.75/5  rDev +18%