Old Milwaukee Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 249 | Ratings: 775
2.85/5  rDev +13.5%

The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a towering white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is below average. It has a very light pale malt scent along with adjuncts and a dry lager yeast aroma. It has a metallic aroma. The hops are light and it has a musty quality. The taste is average. It has a dry and musty pale malt flavor that goes down slow due to overcarbonation and finishes clean with some lingering hops. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with too much carbonation. This is a decent macro lager. It has little flavor or aroma, but on a hot day this would go down easy.

2.58/5  rDev +2.8%

16 ounce limited edition can, which advertised a country music festival, enjoyed in lovely Buffalo, MN...the ring around the can's top reads, " it doesn't get any better than this"...and I must beg to differ, but...also, I quote the bottom, where we learn of this beer, that it is "carefully brewed with genuine malted barley, pure water, cereal grains, and selected hops." Glad they selected them!

Very typically pale yellow hue, nice head, stays awhile...

aroma is typical, again, very nothing...slightly malty, but not by much...

Taste? grain, assorted, some better than others...a mingling mush of rice and barley, and not much else..it drinks okay, if you don't give a care.
...bit of a harshness in the carbonation, which affects the mouthfeel some...a bit too bubbly...
My nephew, who I had trained to choose better beers, was as confused as I about what beers were on-the-house at my niece's wedding reception, and we both befuddledly went with Mich Golden Light, until he learned there were others at our disposal. He sipped my OM and conferred upon it a superior status above MGDL...but not by much...and went with Samuel Adams as his next choice...

This is not bad, but not recommended by any means.

2.1/5  rDev -16.3%

12 oz. can with no freshness date - served chilled in a pint glass. It's a pale gold with a 1 finger white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lace. Smells of adjuncts and cooked veggies. Flavors are corn and some malts with a light and tingy body. Serves its purpose, but there's more drinkable macros.

2.03/5  rDev -19.1%

This review is part of Macro Smackdown III, a ongoing competition between various macro lagers. Old Milwaukee is going up against Budweiser today and may the best beer win. For the first time in the series the serving types are different, but that couldn't be helped. Will glass give OM an advantage? Let's find out.

There's very little difference in color between the two, but this beer has a slight edge in that it's a quarter-shade darker, almost achieving amberness. The head is clearly superior to the head on the Budweiser. It's bone white with a semi-creamy consistency and much better persistence. Not only that, but it actually has some character (humps, pits, etc) as it falls. While there isn't a huge amount of lace, a few meaty chunks do manage to stick.

The noses are very similar, smelling primarily of untoasted grain/husk. The aroma on this beer is slightly more musky and spicy (and I do mean slightly). The floral Bud nose wins by a nose, but again, it's not a clear enough victory for different scores to be granted.

First of all, Old Milwaukee has more flavor than Bud. Second of all, it's better flavor. I didn't say good, I said better. I'm not sure what adjunct Stroh/Pabst uses, but it seems to me that corn (OM?) is a superior grain to rice (Bud). There's a little more sweetness on the palate with this beer and a little more personality.

The mouthfeel is still pathetically thin, but it's less pathetically thin than Bud's. It also holds its carbonation for a longer period of time and keeps the mouthfeel lively, even if the flavor doesn't impress.

Old Milwaukee isn't good beer by any stretch of the imagination. It is good enough though to have bested one of America's favorite beers, beechwood-aged Budweiser. Even though this is one of the more lopsided MacSmacks so far, I'm still not interested in ever having this stuff cross my palate again.

2.62/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance - Light clear gold color. Big, but short-lived very soapy head. Little lacing. Apparent that this is highly carbonated. Pretty average for a macro.

Smell - Standard macro adjunct smell. Nothing better or worse than average.

Taste - Pretty darn sweet and pretty darn watery. Just a hint of hoppy bitterness at the outset, which quickly fades. Finish is clean and dry. Solid, if a bit watered down, for a macro. Tastes like a light beer. Definitely less chemical tasting than many macros.

Mouthfeel - This beer is quite light and quite well carbonated. I think it's a little too light for a standard macro.

Drinkability - Hey, it's light, it's got some beer characteristics, you could definitely do worse.

Old Milwaukee has a reputation around these parts as being a rather poor beer. Clearly it's better than many macrobrews simply because it doesn't actively offend. Add to that a relatively low price and you've got an acceptable emergency hot weather beer.

2.95/5  rDev +17.5%

Looks like white apple juice. Decent sized white fizzy head. Carbonation rises aggressively. Aroma is sweet and malty (in a macro kind of way) and a little grainy. Mouthfeel is fizzy. Body is medium. Taste has some decent maltiness to it for a macro. Just a splash of hops evident in the dry finish. Not too bad. I'd place it just about in the middle of my spectrum of Macro brews.

1.73/5  rDev -31.1%

Telling people that it doesn't get any better than this is just plain mean.

Smells like grain and adjunct metal. Tastes like grain and adjunct metal with a hint of fruit. Nothing impressive. Sits in my stomach like a rock. Seriously. It feels like I've been punched.

Not bad tasting, but way too fizzy. Avoid.

2.56/5  rDev +2%

Appearence: just like every other macro burp beer. Generic, yellow, same.

Smell: I had to try real hard to get a scent of this beer and just picked up the corn in the beer, nothing else.

Mouth: See Appearence score. More of the same.

Taste? I have to agree with one of the recent reviewers who mentioned this was a step below PBR. More of a corny adjunct flavor, but there is a hint of a hoppy flavor and alchohol finish.

Drinkability: Drank two in an hour's time, that must mean it's generic enough to be average.

Summary: I may have had this beer once in my days, but since OM NA has become my fave NA I thought I'd give this one a look see again. I paid 5.49 for a 12. It's okay, but nothing will make me buy it again. Regular Genessee is about the cheapest beer I'll buy when I want something cheap. PBR is still my "autoworker special" standard for cheap beers.

2.72/5  rDev +8.4%

I picked up a 32 ouncer at Circle K because I was feeling like something simple and cheap. Color is pale yellow with a fizzy head. Aroma is typical of cheap macro lagers, I've smelled a lot worse than this within this style of beer. Taste isn't very flavorful, which actually may make Old Milwaukee better than some of it's counterparts; there aren't any bad flavors to complain about. Seeing how cheap and unoffensive this is, I would consider this a good choice for a lawnmower beer. Still OM will never compete with my craft brew choices.

2.36/5  rDev -6%

When in a dive bar, do as the locals do, I figure. Seems to me that the locals drink a lot of Old Milwaukee. Pouring a fizzy yellow colour with little head, it seemed that this would be an uneventful tasting. The aroma was sweet. I couldn't quite place the smell. The taste was coppery. Hints of corn came through, but nothing original.

2.35/5  rDev -6.4%

here's my issue with this beer....it is supposed to be a "price" lager but up in my neck of the woods it's priced damn near the Buds, MGD, and Coors....It's of lesser quality than those...hasa hint of cheap beer taste to it...very corny and sweet...body is thin almost fizzy..finishes a little tart....OK...not worth buying though

2.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Another on my crappy beers to purchase list. I bought this after a case of Schlitz. It really isn't too bad, not much to her at all. Some sweetness and fizzles here and there but nothing too crazy. A much better beer than I was expecting, but then again I was expecting the worst. For the price you really cannot beat it. This beer is easily drinkable like Budweiser but much cheaper.

2.58/5  rDev +2.8%

I haven't had Old Swill for many years, so I was a little apprehensive about this one. It carries a lot of memories from my younger years. I remember it being a decent beer at the time relative to other beers that I drank. Granted this was before the current era of better selection and improved personal taste in beers, so I'll have to taste it and see.

Color is light yellow. Carbonation is decent and lasts a fairly long time.

Cereal grains dominate the aroma with no detectable hops and a faint smell of alcohol. These same attributes manifest in the flavor as well with a slightly sweet flavor of corn in the aftertaste. Mild bitterness.

This has a little more body than the average adjunct lager. Definitely this is the high point of this beer which also helps improve its drinkability.

Overall this isn't bad for the style and especially for the price. Like so many American macros, it seems like a little more flavor and aroma hops would improve it a lot.

2.34/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a...wait a minute...who pours this swill? I suck it out of a can (which is why the appearance gets a 3) It smells like ass, tastes like cheap beer, but it gets you saucy and goes down like water.

Perfect for sporting events when the parts of your brain that normally appreciate taste are too busy yelling at umpires and admiring cheerleaders.

Overall, a strong "Average"

2.05/5  rDev -18.3%

This is no different from all the other mass produced swill I have poured down my throat over the past few weeks. It certainly doesn't taste bad, it simply just does not taste. I would never turn this Phil his arm extends with an old mil in hand with my name on it. Kinda hits the spot during my work breaks.

2.74/5  rDev +9.2%

Of all the lager clones out there if we were to buy by price this rates good. at 4.99 per 12 pack/cans its of good value.
This beer must be poured into a descent glass otherwise
I CAN'T TASTE MY BEER. What good is in there is very light.
The can reads THE STROHS BREWING COMPANY

Appearance - The best part of this brew is its color
Aroma -Adjuncts all over the place
Taste - very little, but not harsh or offensive
Mouthfeel - almost wants to have flavor but...
Drinkability - This stuff drinks to fast the alcohol content seems very low. I finished off the box in 2 afterwork sessions without much of a buzz.

2.48/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance - poured a very bland and pale yellow, but with a big zesty head, lots of white snowy froth which bubbles down and holds at a semi-solid cover.

Aroma - very plain, macro grain/adjunct sniff, nothing more.

Taste - basic grainy taste, but with a splash of hops at the back mixed in with some soda water saltiness. Wasn't expecting that, a little speck of personality there, alright. Finishes cleanly if unspectacularly.

Mouthfeel - crisp, bubbly, right for the style , but it's a style without much to it, IMO. Thin and watery, lots of bubbles as intended, I'm sure.

Drinkability - for the price and the taste, it's a decent value, I doubt if most macro swillers could tell the difference between this and the rmega-lager.

2.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Not a special beer, but for the money, a good beer. Straw yellow color and odors of grain and alcohol. Short lived white head. Strong flavors of corn dominate this brew, with a watery finish. If you are a fan of the typical pabst brews, this one won't dissapoint.

2.08/5  rDev -17.1%

OK I know I'm scrapin the bottom of the barrel here, but we all need to consume some mass produced crap to keep us honest and keep us abreast of what is out there. This stuff is, suprise, piss yellow with a large bubble, short lasting head. Not much nose to speak of. Ditto for malt and hops. It is cold and wet and did help me wash down my dinner.

2.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Clear yellow color, small white head. Slightly malty, not a lot in the hops department. Not skunky, metallic, or musty like many beers in this price range. This beer, when judged against other American Macros, is actually somewhat of a standout. It's drinkability, affordablity, lack of off flavors, and wide availabitlity add up to a cheap beer that won't make you gag, at least.

2.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a screw top 32 OZ Bottle that I bought for $1.19 at Vons.

Pours an ultra clear yellow brew.

Smell is sweet and corny with a cracker smell to it. No skunking or off smells to it.

Taste is fairly dry with just a trace of sweetness and a bit of grain flavor. Taste is pretty neutral it doesn't offend or wow you.

Mouthfeel is OK this isn't a brew that pretends to be anything other than a cheap lager.

Drinkability is equal to or superior that which the macrobrews have.
This is a brew that claims to only be a cheap yet drinkable and non-offensive brew and in that capacity is succeeds fully. I have drunk a lot of this with dinner when I hit the supermarket deli for dinner and just wanted a beer to go with say fried chicken. Which is exactly why I am even reviewing this brew here.

2.15/5  rDev -14.3%

This beer is one of those beers that comes in a can. Compared to those other canned brews it is on the sweeter, maltier side of taste. No bitterness. There must be a lot of great ingredients cause my head is ringing now and i didnt even drink that many of these. Better than some shitty macros, worse than the rest of the beers we love.

2.15/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured the can into a Pilsner glass...

Transparent lightest gold color, wide-bubbled head of a very thin character but better duration than some. Partial ring laces. Aroma is all sweetness, corn and cane sugar. Mouthfeel is thinnish but the carbonation is adequately done. No real sense of hops, malt is sweet and neutral without nasty qualities. Aftertaste is lightly honeyish without the overdone fizziness and mineral water taste of some macros. Cheap and forgetable, but not the worst of drinkabilities in the beer world.

3.06/5  rDev +21.9%

I had this beast out of a 40oz bottle. I was drinking it during one of Radford's infamous "card games" that they play to get wasted. I actually did get to critique this beer, so all was not wasted. the appearance wasn't mind bending, like the WWStout that I divulged myself in earlier, but it was nice. Straw colored with a frothy white head. The smell was of citrusy and corn proportions. The taste was similar, but not too strong. All in all a good cheap one.

2.15/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Suffice it to say that there is not a whole lot to be said about this beer so I am going to get right to my rating.Can:It formed a large white creamy sized head with fine sized bubbles.The body was clear with lively carbonation and the hue was yellow.There was not much of a nose to this beer other than some malt notes.The flavor was blah and the mouthfeel was surprisingly smooth, thin, watery and light bodied.This beer left very little in the way of any lacing.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company