Old Milwaukee Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

2.5
32%

Reviews: 255 | Ratings: 791

For being a Macro Lager, it was ok, and I think it is the best among the Old Milwaukee variety. The colour is not green at all, and it is very goldy, very good and the foam is nice, very bubbling and it is what it counts for a lager, at least for me.

1.5/5  rDev -40%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Old Milwaukee...

I can't even follow my normal criteria for this one, Old Mil is your everyday normal adjunct-filled American lager with fans reminiscent of beast or Pabst looking back at it as if it were the greatest beer in the world. Well it's far from it!!! Flat taste, not so great appearance and minimal recollection soon after drinking of any difference from other mass-produced beers. Avoid if your at all a serious beer drinker, for beers with mass fan clubs though you could do worse.

1.53/5  rDev -38.8%

At my days working in a grocery store I see a lot of people, mainly the elderly, buy this beer. People would come in 3 even 4 times a week and purchase 18, 24, and/or 30 packs of Old Milwaukee. After witnessing this I had to at least give it a shot. I obtained a 24 oz. can, cracked it open and took a swig. The taste was plain and flat, reminiscent of an Anheuser-Busch product. As sick as it was I thought at the very least, due to the lack of flavor, I could drink it quickly and move on. However, a terrible, extremely bitter aftertaste followed, as if overcompensating for the original weak taste. Overall the taste was grainy with a hint of corn. The aroma was unappetizing. It had little frothy head to get in the way, and the color was a thicker yellow than most. The only reason I finished it was because I spent my own money on it and by time I was done I was barely buzzing. If there was a beer worse than the swill Anheuser-Busch siphoned from the sewers, this would be it.

1.05/5  rDev -58%

Not much say here. Looks lighter and dirtier than piss. Almost sweet smell. The taste is nasty metallic horses ass. It might make you cry. The mouthfeel is that of getting stabbed in the face. Incredibly not drinkable. I would rather drink my own urine.

3.1/5  rDev +24%

This is a good cheap beer. Not a great beer, but it is definetly drinkable, not bad by any means.. Good value, I had the big can. Much better than bud light and the like. It is best cold, but I threw the last few swigs out as it warmed and grabbed another cold one. If your going to buy budweiser, buy this instead it tastes much better and is way easier on your wallet. If your on a budget and you want something that doesn't taste like crap, this is the way to go, sometimes I use this as a spacer beer.

2.68/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a pale yellow color with a white head that fizzles down to nothing. The look does not make me want to drink it down, rather boring.

The aroma is mild and is of light malt, nothing over the top here.

The taste is also of light malt with a VERY light hop presence. It is pretty watered down. I always heard that Old Mil would blow Bud and Miller out of the water in taste tests but I don't really see any difference between the three.

The mouthfeel is alright. Average at best. Moderate carbonation with a very light body. I could drink a lot of these but I would say the drinkability is about average because the flavor doesn't make you want to drink a bunch. It's an O.K. beer for an all day type of session. Not terrible.

2.85/5  rDev +14%

The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a towering white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is below average. It has a very light pale malt scent along with adjuncts and a dry lager yeast aroma. It has a metallic aroma. The hops are light and it has a musty quality. The taste is average. It has a dry and musty pale malt flavor that goes down slow due to overcarbonation and finishes clean with some lingering hops. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with too much carbonation. This is a decent macro lager. It has little flavor or aroma, but on a hot day this would go down easy.

2.58/5  rDev +3.2%

16 ounce limited edition can, which advertised a country music festival, enjoyed in lovely Buffalo, MN...the ring around the can's top reads, " it doesn't get any better than this"...and I must beg to differ, but...also, I quote the bottom, where we learn of this beer, that it is "carefully brewed with genuine malted barley, pure water, cereal grains, and selected hops." Glad they selected them!

Very typically pale yellow hue, nice head, stays awhile...

aroma is typical, again, very nothing...slightly malty, but not by much...

Taste? grain, assorted, some better than others...a mingling mush of rice and barley, and not much else..it drinks okay, if you don't give a care.
...bit of a harshness in the carbonation, which affects the mouthfeel some...a bit too bubbly...
My nephew, who I had trained to choose better beers, was as confused as I about what beers were on-the-house at my niece's wedding reception, and we both befuddledly went with Mich Golden Light, until he learned there were others at our disposal. He sipped my OM and conferred upon it a superior status above MGDL...but not by much...and went with Samuel Adams as his next choice...

This is not bad, but not recommended by any means.

2.1/5  rDev -16%

12 oz. can with no freshness date - served chilled in a pint glass. It's a pale gold with a 1 finger white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lace. Smells of adjuncts and cooked veggies. Flavors are corn and some malts with a light and tingy body. Serves its purpose, but there's more drinkable macros.

2.03/5  rDev -18.8%

This review is part of Macro Smackdown III, a ongoing competition between various macro lagers. Old Milwaukee is going up against Budweiser today and may the best beer win. For the first time in the series the serving types are different, but that couldn't be helped. Will glass give OM an advantage? Let's find out.

There's very little difference in color between the two, but this beer has a slight edge in that it's a quarter-shade darker, almost achieving amberness. The head is clearly superior to the head on the Budweiser. It's bone white with a semi-creamy consistency and much better persistence. Not only that, but it actually has some character (humps, pits, etc) as it falls. While there isn't a huge amount of lace, a few meaty chunks do manage to stick.

The noses are very similar, smelling primarily of untoasted grain/husk. The aroma on this beer is slightly more musky and spicy (and I do mean slightly). The floral Bud nose wins by a nose, but again, it's not a clear enough victory for different scores to be granted.

First of all, Old Milwaukee has more flavor than Bud. Second of all, it's better flavor. I didn't say good, I said better. I'm not sure what adjunct Stroh/Pabst uses, but it seems to me that corn (OM?) is a superior grain to rice (Bud). There's a little more sweetness on the palate with this beer and a little more personality.

The mouthfeel is still pathetically thin, but it's less pathetically thin than Bud's. It also holds its carbonation for a longer period of time and keeps the mouthfeel lively, even if the flavor doesn't impress.

Old Milwaukee isn't good beer by any stretch of the imagination. It is good enough though to have bested one of America's favorite beers, beechwood-aged Budweiser. Even though this is one of the more lopsided MacSmacks so far, I'm still not interested in ever having this stuff cross my palate again.

2.62/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance - Light clear gold color. Big, but short-lived very soapy head. Little lacing. Apparent that this is highly carbonated. Pretty average for a macro.

Smell - Standard macro adjunct smell. Nothing better or worse than average.

Taste - Pretty darn sweet and pretty darn watery. Just a hint of hoppy bitterness at the outset, which quickly fades. Finish is clean and dry. Solid, if a bit watered down, for a macro. Tastes like a light beer. Definitely less chemical tasting than many macros.

Mouthfeel - This beer is quite light and quite well carbonated. I think it's a little too light for a standard macro.

Drinkability - Hey, it's light, it's got some beer characteristics, you could definitely do worse.

Old Milwaukee has a reputation around these parts as being a rather poor beer. Clearly it's better than many macrobrews simply because it doesn't actively offend. Add to that a relatively low price and you've got an acceptable emergency hot weather beer.

2.95/5  rDev +18%

Looks like white apple juice. Decent sized white fizzy head. Carbonation rises aggressively. Aroma is sweet and malty (in a macro kind of way) and a little grainy. Mouthfeel is fizzy. Body is medium. Taste has some decent maltiness to it for a macro. Just a splash of hops evident in the dry finish. Not too bad. I'd place it just about in the middle of my spectrum of Macro brews.

1.73/5  rDev -30.8%

Telling people that it doesn't get any better than this is just plain mean.

Smells like grain and adjunct metal. Tastes like grain and adjunct metal with a hint of fruit. Nothing impressive. Sits in my stomach like a rock. Seriously. It feels like I've been punched.

Not bad tasting, but way too fizzy. Avoid.

2.56/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearence: just like every other macro burp beer. Generic, yellow, same.

Smell: I had to try real hard to get a scent of this beer and just picked up the corn in the beer, nothing else.

Mouth: See Appearence score. More of the same.

Taste? I have to agree with one of the recent reviewers who mentioned this was a step below PBR. More of a corny adjunct flavor, but there is a hint of a hoppy flavor and alchohol finish.

Drinkability: Drank two in an hour's time, that must mean it's generic enough to be average.

Summary: I may have had this beer once in my days, but since OM NA has become my fave NA I thought I'd give this one a look see again. I paid 5.49 for a 12. It's okay, but nothing will make me buy it again. Regular Genessee is about the cheapest beer I'll buy when I want something cheap. PBR is still my "autoworker special" standard for cheap beers.

2.72/5  rDev +8.8%

I picked up a 32 ouncer at Circle K because I was feeling like something simple and cheap. Color is pale yellow with a fizzy head. Aroma is typical of cheap macro lagers, I've smelled a lot worse than this within this style of beer. Taste isn't very flavorful, which actually may make Old Milwaukee better than some of it's counterparts; there aren't any bad flavors to complain about. Seeing how cheap and unoffensive this is, I would consider this a good choice for a lawnmower beer. Still OM will never compete with my craft brew choices.

2.36/5  rDev -5.6%

When in a dive bar, do as the locals do, I figure. Seems to me that the locals drink a lot of Old Milwaukee. Pouring a fizzy yellow colour with little head, it seemed that this would be an uneventful tasting. The aroma was sweet. I couldn't quite place the smell. The taste was coppery. Hints of corn came through, but nothing original.

2.35/5  rDev -6%

here's my issue with this beer....it is supposed to be a "price" lager but up in my neck of the woods it's priced damn near the Buds, MGD, and Coors....It's of lesser quality than those...hasa hint of cheap beer taste to it...very corny and sweet...body is thin almost fizzy..finishes a little tart....OK...not worth buying though

2.8/5  rDev +12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Another on my crappy beers to purchase list. I bought this after a case of Schlitz. It really isn't too bad, not much to her at all. Some sweetness and fizzles here and there but nothing too crazy. A much better beer than I was expecting, but then again I was expecting the worst. For the price you really cannot beat it. This beer is easily drinkable like Budweiser but much cheaper.

2.58/5  rDev +3.2%

I haven't had Old Swill for many years, so I was a little apprehensive about this one. It carries a lot of memories from my younger years. I remember it being a decent beer at the time relative to other beers that I drank. Granted this was before the current era of better selection and improved personal taste in beers, so I'll have to taste it and see.

Color is light yellow. Carbonation is decent and lasts a fairly long time.

Cereal grains dominate the aroma with no detectable hops and a faint smell of alcohol. These same attributes manifest in the flavor as well with a slightly sweet flavor of corn in the aftertaste. Mild bitterness.

This has a little more body than the average adjunct lager. Definitely this is the high point of this beer which also helps improve its drinkability.

Overall this isn't bad for the style and especially for the price. Like so many American macros, it seems like a little more flavor and aroma hops would improve it a lot.

2.34/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a...wait a minute...who pours this swill? I suck it out of a can (which is why the appearance gets a 3) It smells like ass, tastes like cheap beer, but it gets you saucy and goes down like water.

Perfect for sporting events when the parts of your brain that normally appreciate taste are too busy yelling at umpires and admiring cheerleaders.

Overall, a strong "Average"

2.05/5  rDev -18%

This is no different from all the other mass produced swill I have poured down my throat over the past few weeks. It certainly doesn't taste bad, it simply just does not taste. I would never turn this Phil his arm extends with an old mil in hand with my name on it. Kinda hits the spot during my work breaks.

2.74/5  rDev +9.6%

Of all the lager clones out there if we were to buy by price this rates good. at 4.99 per 12 pack/cans its of good value.
This beer must be poured into a descent glass otherwise
I CAN'T TASTE MY BEER. What good is in there is very light.
The can reads THE STROHS BREWING COMPANY

Appearance - The best part of this brew is its color
Aroma -Adjuncts all over the place
Taste - very little, but not harsh or offensive
Mouthfeel - almost wants to have flavor but...
Drinkability - This stuff drinks to fast the alcohol content seems very low. I finished off the box in 2 afterwork sessions without much of a buzz.

2.48/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance - poured a very bland and pale yellow, but with a big zesty head, lots of white snowy froth which bubbles down and holds at a semi-solid cover.

Aroma - very plain, macro grain/adjunct sniff, nothing more.

Taste - basic grainy taste, but with a splash of hops at the back mixed in with some soda water saltiness. Wasn't expecting that, a little speck of personality there, alright. Finishes cleanly if unspectacularly.

Mouthfeel - crisp, bubbly, right for the style , but it's a style without much to it, IMO. Thin and watery, lots of bubbles as intended, I'm sure.

Drinkability - for the price and the taste, it's a decent value, I doubt if most macro swillers could tell the difference between this and the rmega-lager.

2.68/5  rDev +7.2%

Not a special beer, but for the money, a good beer. Straw yellow color and odors of grain and alcohol. Short lived white head. Strong flavors of corn dominate this brew, with a watery finish. If you are a fan of the typical pabst brews, this one won't dissapoint.

2.08/5  rDev -16.8%

OK I know I'm scrapin the bottom of the barrel here, but we all need to consume some mass produced crap to keep us honest and keep us abreast of what is out there. This stuff is, suprise, piss yellow with a large bubble, short lasting head. Not much nose to speak of. Ditto for malt and hops. It is cold and wet and did help me wash down my dinner.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company