Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 248 | Ratings: 773
3.91/5  rDev +55.8%

A- Golden yellow, with a big frothy head that dissipates but leaves a slight layer of foam. Leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Smells kind of tinny and slightly of alcohol if sniffed heavily.

T- Corn, malt, slight tin, No Bitterness. Finishes very clean with some aftertaste of corn cobs.

M- Watery, thin, bubbly. Very easy to drink.

O- Overall, it's a good beer when it's very hot outside or if you want a beer that goes down easily. Pretty good for a AAL.
No hangover.

1.53/5  rDev -39%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This stuff is just nasty. It seems like anything that has Milwaukee on the label is just undrinkable. It has to be the worst of the value brands. I have to cringe in order to swallow it and I only do so when I have a strong desire to be drunk. Consider brushing your teeth after drinking one of these if you want anyone to talk to you.

1.21/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Absolutely awful. The taste of Old Milwaukee is so repulsive, I would only drink it if the life of another human being depended on it. Worst. Macro. Ever.

3.45/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A lighter beer, that's good on price.

Light, pale straw color. Fizzy, very carbonated. The head doesn't last very long.

Mostly smells like hops.

The taste is almost all hops and carbonation, a little bitterness. Everyone complaims how bitter this beer is, but it's not that bad. I like bitters though.

Light, carbonated and fizzy.

It's a good beer, cheap price. If it's cold, it's very refreshing. I'll pick it up once in a while.

2.74/5  rDev +9.2%

Of all the lager clones out there if we were to buy by price this rates good. at 4.99 per 12 pack/cans its of good value.
This beer must be poured into a descent glass otherwise
I CAN'T TASTE MY BEER. What good is in there is very light.
The can reads THE STROHS BREWING COMPANY

Appearance - The best part of this brew is its color
Aroma -Adjuncts all over the place
Taste - very little, but not harsh or offensive
Mouthfeel - almost wants to have flavor but...
Drinkability - This stuff drinks to fast the alcohol content seems very low. I finished off the box in 2 afterwork sessions without much of a buzz.

3.22/5  rDev +28.3%

About on par with PBR and Miller. I'd say its better than both of them, slightly, but certainly it is not "America's Best Tasting Beer". Not as good as Coors or Budwesier, for comparison.
I actually find the smell fairly delightful, it smells a somewhat like plum blossoms.
It doesn't taste like much, but it doesn't taste bad. To me, cheap beer exposes itself when drank with food, and Old Milwaukee's flaws are evident, but its okay.

3.1/5  rDev +23.5%

This is a good cheap beer. Not a great beer, but it is definetly drinkable, not bad by any means.. Good value, I had the big can. Much better than bud light and the like. It is best cold, but I threw the last few swigs out as it warmed and grabbed another cold one. If your going to buy budweiser, buy this instead it tastes much better and is way easier on your wallet. If your on a budget and you want something that doesn't taste like crap, this is the way to go, sometimes I use this as a spacer beer.

2.45/5  rDev -2.4%

Attended a firefighter fundraiser raffle. The wife won a "romantic dinner for two"...this included 2 frozen ducks, a pint of peppermint schnapps and a sixer of OLD MILWAUKEE....(some romantic dinner huh?). Anywho, I looked at this as an opportunity to give Old Mill a whirl.

Looks like any other BMC beer out there
Smells like any BMC beer.
Taste slightly better than a BMC.
Watery feel in the mouth.

Bottom line it's not my choice to purchase (I'd rather have PBR, Hamms, Old Style)....but it is a better buy (cost v. taste) that the BMCs

3.56/5  rDev +41.8%

Smeone once told me I had to try Old Milwaukee when I couldn't afford a case of Bud. So here I am drinking my 4th one on Monday afternoon. Tricky beer. Couldn't discern any hops or grains, mainly water. However, it does promote a nice mouthfeel. Some beers in this category ring a bitter taste on the sides of the tongue but this one does not. I think my 30 pack was on the shelf for a while because it has a definate hint of age. I will call this one Old Mildue, but will buy again for the second fridge when things are desperate.

3.22/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a hunting season commemorative can, camouflage with blaze orange inlay. It really caught my eye this deer hunting season.

The color pale wheat, aroma, dry wheat, malt. Hard to pick up much if any aroma.

Easy drinking light lager. Nothing to write home about, but enough malt presence to keep it interesting. As with the smell, if I swish it around a dry wheat taste holds in my mouth. Perfect with a shot. Slightly sweet as it warms, but not overly. Needs a little more weight, and it could be a good everyday beer. This was the beer I remember my mom always drinking, and she kept it in the garage, no fridge.

"It doesnt get any better than this"...if this is all you got it isnt that bad.

1.03/5  rDev -59%

I'm very surprised that this is rated higher than Busch and almost even with Labatt Blue. Of all these cheap, macro beers, this is the worst. Undrinkable. Tastes like garbage. Literally, like a skunked, metallic, just awful. It's one of the beers that I find undrinkable.

3.88/5  rDev +54.6%

I have been wanting to try Old Mil since I turned 21. It has been impossible to find in my one horse town in Michigan. Today at the gas station I finally found it. it was a risk considering it was a 30 pack, but I had to buy it 13.99$. Not a bad price. I was pretty excited to finally try it, and (luckily) I was not disappointed.
Look-Big white head with lots of lacing. Lots of carbonization bubbles sticking to side of glass. Nice light straw color beer. Normal looking lager.
Smell-The beer smells of grain, bread, and corn. The smell reminds me of a carbon copy of Labatt Blue Light.
Taste- It's a nice taste. It's a little watery. Up front you taste the grain, bread, and corn. I can also taste a light hint of hops during the finish. It tastes kind of sweet as it's going down. It's a very smooth beer. Overall the taste is a very nice pleasant transition from start to finish. Nothing really jumps out at you as being an over powering ingredient. Very nice blend.
Feel- The beer leaves your mouth with a very dry taste.
Overall- Im giving this beer a 4 out of 5. It was a lot better then I expected. For a cheap beer it is defiantly in my top 10 now. Hopefully my local gas station keeps this beer around for awhile. Try it it's a lot better then people say it is. For the price you can't go wrong.

3.42/5  rDev +36.3%

This beer looks like your average lager. It is a straw color. The head was impressive when I poured it into my glass.

The smell is consistently clean with this brew. It has kind of a spicy smell.

The taste is pretty clean. It has a bit of spicy kick to it which is better than nothing. There is not much flavor but for this style the flavor is good.

The mouthfeel is pretty thin with this.

I rate the drinkability high on this because it is pretty easy to drink a lot of these which is how I rate this particular style. It is a great cheap lawnmower beer. This is one of my favorite cheap summer beers.

3.28/5  rDev +30.7%

I was a little hesitant at first to try this beer. I had a bad experience with some Milwaukee's Best before and so I am always hesitant to try economy beers since...

I poured a pint can into a pint beer glass. Light foamy, almost soapy looking white head. A tiny bit darker than other economy brand beers, but still a pale yellow color.

Smelled of sweet grains and corn adjunct. Tiny, tiny, faint smell of hops is present in the smell.

Tasted better than it smelled. The sweetness that is present in the smell is hardly there in the flavor of the beer. Still has the taste of corn adjunct and pale malts. Still, it was surprisingly good tasting for an economy beer.

It has a crisp yet watery mouthfeel....

It is extremely drinkable for an economy beer. This Schlitz economy brand is quite good and I can see myself buying this in the future.

For being an economy brand it was good, and I'm rating it accordingly... I rate it for how it tastes with regards to what it is.

Old Mill was as staple of the 70s and 80s. Everyone knows it simply "dont get no better than this", and if you can appreciate the grammar, you can appreciate old swill. In my area old milwaukee is only carried in one grocery and offered in 6 pack tallboy form only. The appearance is light straw colored, paler than either schlitz or pabst (old swill owned by pabst, sub-brewed by miller) with large white head that fizzes away. Surprisingly some lacing is left in the glass. The smell is rather neutral to weak, generic grains is about it, nothing offensive but nothing of note. Taste is similar, a bit weak with slight bitter, a cardboard papery taste as well. Mouthfeel is crispy and dry, is drinkable. Overall old swill is superior to other budget brands like natty, keystone, busch, etc but schlitz gusto is way better for slightly higher price.

3.9/5  rDev +55.4%

Old Milwaukee. Five dollars for a twelve-pack at the drugstore down the street from my house. How cool is that?

Appearance: Normal yellow/gold macro beer color. Pouring it into a chilled mug brought forth a fairly thick one-inch head that quickly vanished. Minus one point because my girlfriend says the red-and-white pattern on the can looks "ugly".

Smell: The smell is above average. If there was an air-freshener with a "beer" fragrance, it would smell like Old Milwaukee.

Taste: Really not bad, quite a bit better than I expected. I had expected it to be a thin and watery brew, but it's actually full-bodied and a little on the rich side. There seems to be more than a hint of corn in the flavor; not as strong as Miller High Life, but the corn is definitely there.

Mouthfeel: This beer has medium carbonation, but it lacks crispness. As it warms to room temperature, the texture can become a little unpleasant, like a mouthful of soapy water.

Drinkability: Despite it's flaws, Old Milwaukee is pretty drinkable, although a little on the heavy side. If you're looking for a tasty and light session beer, I would recommend Hamm's instead.

Overall: Old Milwaukee is a decent adjunct lager at an incredible price, probably the best beer value on the market. Go for it if you want an inexpensive brew that gets the job done.

3.06/5  rDev +21.9%

Typical american adjunct lager, straw color, no lacing, tastes like every other adjunct lager. Cheap but better than a light beer. Id recommend this if your going to a party and want to bring alot of it for cheap. this is a way to go! Its crisp/carbonated/ and you can drink alot of these before you feel it!

4.35/5  rDev +73.3%

For the price, Old Milwaukee is a great beer.

It pours a light amber color. Smell is good. very drinkable.

mouthfeel is good, and it tastes great. On a hot day, mowing the lawn, this beer hits the spot better than the big 3 (bud, coors,miller).
Give it a try. dont let the price scare you, This cheap brew is pretty good.

3.67/5  rDev +46.2%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

2.49/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aight, ..this was my son's fave, cheap beerverage , and i'm pleased to say, if this got him through his 1st year at university, i'm ok with that.

Straight out of the can.. fellas, because this may be the closest you'll ever get your lips on someone that looks like that!

See: Platinum head with little memory, soft shoulders with a sheer layer overtop, blonde nectar, bubbly throughout and rising from the greatest little shoes.

Hear: I've heard this beer is great on price but you get what you pay for.

Smell: Sweet nothingness... but slight spice, as well.

Taste: In style and good on it's own.

Feel: Fresh, clean & satisfying. Stevia sensation teases.

Blanket: "And if you can't be with the one you love, honey...Love the one you're with".

AKA: Still's Swill

P.S: I have just been informed by my son that he no longer has to drink Old Mill as he can now afford better beer.

2.6/5  rDev +3.6%

Pale clear yellow with a weak head. Little flavor initially then a some sweetness comes in. I'd like to say it is malt, but feels too coarse, more likely corn or some kind of sugar. No real hop flavor to speak of. Not a bad cheap beer although there are a few I'd put ahead of it. Pretty much in the middle of the pack of cheap American lager.

2.64/5  rDev +5.2%

My father in law always has his mini fridge stocked with bottles of Old Mil. Since every time I'm over there I have 3 or 4 I figured why not review it. It poured a very light golden color. Not much head and what there was went away fast. It had a corn and grainy smell with no hop odor. Although the smell wasn't the best, it brought back some great memories of the "party days" so I bumped it up to 3.5 Taste was nothing much to get excited about. Carbonation was ok, maybe a little too much but not bad. I normally wouldn't say this but drink this stuff cold and fast. It’s a quantity over quality product.
A "must have" for any beer bong.

2.85/5  rDev +13.5%

Real beery taste that keeps you coming back for more. I haven't run the numbers but great value beer. Much better than the others in its class on the far end of the beer case. Will not disappoint even the snobbiest of beer snobs. More than just a palate cleanser. Serve straight up and unfruited. A well stocked beer fridge should always have some on hand. No nonsense man beer.

2.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

$11.49 a case, 12 ounce cans. I actually poured one into a pint glass so I could see the color and stuff for the review. This is one of the quintessential old school American adjunct brews. It isn't great, but it is definitely drinkable. Pale gold, a decent bit of head that goes poof quick. Taste is "beer" as imagined by that machine that makes Arthur Dent some tea in the Hitchhiker's Guide, I recognize corn, a bit of malty sweet up front, and a teeny tiny bit of hops on the back end of the deal. At this price point, nothing I've tasted is better. And anyways, What's Chewbacca's favorite beer? Old Milwookie!

3.48/5  rDev +38.6%

Why bother stating the color, head, feel and all that....hey it is OM. But I like it. It reminds me of what beer smelled like back in the 60s when if you opened a beer in a car with the windows up the smell filled the car. It reminded me of that...it is not that good but no beer is anymore in the U.S. with all the laws that have been enacted on the brewing process and preservation process. I remember when if you entered a room a few days after a beer party you could still smell stale beer. Now it is hard to smell a beer period....much less it leaving a lingering smell in a room. Back then a parent could walk into a room and if you had been drinking they could smell the beer. Now you can spill it on the carpet and 5 minutes later there is no smell. OM and a few others are the only mass produced beers out there that I can almost recapture that smell for just a few seconds after popping the top.

Ok it is cheap. It is not a boutique beer. It is for guys who don't make much money and work hard for what they do have. It, PBR, Bud, Miller, and so on really shouldn't be on this site...at least they should be separated from the Micros and boutique beers. they are everyday beers you order with pizza and burgers. They are working men and women beers and are not intended to be anymore than that.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company