Old Milwaukee Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

32%

Reviews: 255 | Ratings: 790
3.1/5  rDev +24%

Originally tasted on October 31, 2007

It doesn't get much cheaper than this. ( Old Mil in a can ). A light clear golden with a large white head and big carbonation. Aroma is corn, grains, light citrus and soapy hints. Flavor is mild bitter malts, hops, corn, wheat. It is just a typical cheap macro swill but I find it refreshing and I sort of like cheap swill from time to time.

2.09/5  rDev -16.4%

Very yellow. Barely any head. Tastes like a very bitter cheap beer. To be fair I purchased these not with the intention to drink any of it but to mix with beer batter for a fish fry. I bought it because it was cheaper to buy a 6 pack of 16oz cans than it was to buy a single bottle of New Glarus beer in Wisconsin. I unfortunately drank the other 4 after using 2 for the fish. This brought me back to college, and drinking whatever was cheapest at the liquor store. Bad things.

3.21/5  rDev +28.4%

I figured I'd try something new while watching the Celtics/Lakers game, so I bought a sixer of Old Milwaukee. Well, here we go!

A-Nice yellow gold, darker than what I am used to.

S-Raw grains and some alcohol. About par for the course on this style.

T-Sweet corn, a little malt, and a little bit of alcohol. It starts out grainy, a hop shows up, and then it finishes sweet. I like it.

M-A little fuller than my standard fare, but light enough to be refreshing on a hot summer day.

D-Good. I could drink a lot of these on a hot day, or anytime for that matter!

3.4/5  rDev +36%

This is best on a hot summer day when the beer has been iced down for a few hours. Very refreshing in this capacity. Its not as bad as its reputation, however its obviously nothing special. Light, easy to drink with a routine flavor of corn and grains typical of cheap american beers.

2.34/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a...wait a minute...who pours this swill? I suck it out of a can (which is why the appearance gets a 3) It smells like ass, tastes like cheap beer, but it gets you saucy and goes down like water.

Perfect for sporting events when the parts of your brain that normally appreciate taste are too busy yelling at umpires and admiring cheerleaders.

Overall, a strong "Average"

2.2/5  rDev -12%

Cheap swill my friend unexpectedly brought by when picking up a CD he left during a previous night of heavy metal and drunken revelry. Appearance is clear golden straw with no head; I can actually see the label of the book behind it through the glass, haha. Smell is nonexistent; maybe a little bit of corn and adjunct grains. At least it doesn't have the dirty crotch smell of shit like Bud Light.

Tastes like corn and water, just like all of the other unexciting American macrolagers. Surprisingly, the carbonation is somewhat subdued in comparison to other adjunct pale lagers, and I kind of wish it wasn't. Mouthfeel is incredibly slick. This is bad, but not horrible, especially for the price.

3.91/5  rDev +56.4%

A- Golden yellow, with a big frothy head that dissipates but leaves a slight layer of foam. Leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Smells kind of tinny and slightly of alcohol if sniffed heavily.

T- Corn, malt, slight tin, No Bitterness. Finishes very clean with some aftertaste of corn cobs.

M- Watery, thin, bubbly. Very easy to drink.

O- Overall, it's a good beer when it's very hot outside or if you want a beer that goes down easily. Pretty good for a AAL.
No hangover.

1.53/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This stuff is just nasty. It seems like anything that has Milwaukee on the label is just undrinkable. It has to be the worst of the value brands. I have to cringe in order to swallow it and I only do so when I have a strong desire to be drunk. Consider brushing your teeth after drinking one of these if you want anyone to talk to you.

1.03/5  rDev -58.8%

I'm very surprised that this is rated higher than Busch and almost even with Labatt Blue. Of all these cheap, macro beers, this is the worst. Undrinkable. Tastes like garbage. Literally, like a skunked, metallic, just awful. It's one of the beers that I find undrinkable.

1.21/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Absolutely awful. The taste of Old Milwaukee is so repulsive, I would only drink it if the life of another human being depended on it. Worst. Macro. Ever.

2.74/5  rDev +9.6%

Of all the lager clones out there if we were to buy by price this rates good. at 4.99 per 12 pack/cans its of good value.
This beer must be poured into a descent glass otherwise
I CAN'T TASTE MY BEER. What good is in there is very light.
The can reads THE STROHS BREWING COMPANY

Appearance - The best part of this brew is its color
Aroma -Adjuncts all over the place
Taste - very little, but not harsh or offensive
Mouthfeel - almost wants to have flavor but...
Drinkability - This stuff drinks to fast the alcohol content seems very low. I finished off the box in 2 afterwork sessions without much of a buzz.

3.45/5  rDev +38%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A lighter beer, that's good on price.

Light, pale straw color. Fizzy, very carbonated. The head doesn't last very long.

Mostly smells like hops.

The taste is almost all hops and carbonation, a little bitterness. Everyone complaims how bitter this beer is, but it's not that bad. I like bitters though.

Light, carbonated and fizzy.

It's a good beer, cheap price. If it's cold, it's very refreshing. I'll pick it up once in a while.

3.22/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a hunting season commemorative can, camouflage with blaze orange inlay. It really caught my eye this deer hunting season.

The color pale wheat, aroma, dry wheat, malt. Hard to pick up much if any aroma.

Easy drinking light lager. Nothing to write home about, but enough malt presence to keep it interesting. As with the smell, if I swish it around a dry wheat taste holds in my mouth. Perfect with a shot. Slightly sweet as it warms, but not overly. Needs a little more weight, and it could be a good everyday beer. This was the beer I remember my mom always drinking, and she kept it in the garage, no fridge.

"It doesnt get any better than this"...if this is all you got it isnt that bad.

3.22/5  rDev +28.8%

About on par with PBR and Miller. I'd say its better than both of them, slightly, but certainly it is not "America's Best Tasting Beer". Not as good as Coors or Budwesier, for comparison.
I actually find the smell fairly delightful, it smells a somewhat like plum blossoms.
It doesn't taste like much, but it doesn't taste bad. To me, cheap beer exposes itself when drank with food, and Old Milwaukee's flaws are evident, but its okay.

3.1/5  rDev +24%

This is a good cheap beer. Not a great beer, but it is definetly drinkable, not bad by any means.. Good value, I had the big can. Much better than bud light and the like. It is best cold, but I threw the last few swigs out as it warmed and grabbed another cold one. If your going to buy budweiser, buy this instead it tastes much better and is way easier on your wallet. If your on a budget and you want something that doesn't taste like crap, this is the way to go, sometimes I use this as a spacer beer.

2.45/5  rDev -2%

Attended a firefighter fundraiser raffle. The wife won a "romantic dinner for two"...this included 2 frozen ducks, a pint of peppermint schnapps and a sixer of OLD MILWAUKEE....(some romantic dinner huh?). Anywho, I looked at this as an opportunity to give Old Mill a whirl.

Looks like any other BMC beer out there
Smells like any BMC beer.
Taste slightly better than a BMC.
Watery feel in the mouth.

Bottom line it's not my choice to purchase (I'd rather have PBR, Hamms, Old Style)....but it is a better buy (cost v. taste) that the BMCs

3.56/5  rDev +42.4%

Smeone once told me I had to try Old Milwaukee when I couldn't afford a case of Bud. So here I am drinking my 4th one on Monday afternoon. Tricky beer. Couldn't discern any hops or grains, mainly water. However, it does promote a nice mouthfeel. Some beers in this category ring a bitter taste on the sides of the tongue but this one does not. I think my 30 pack was on the shelf for a while because it has a definate hint of age. I will call this one Old Mildue, but will buy again for the second fridge when things are desperate.

3.42/5  rDev +36.8%

This beer looks like your average lager. It is a straw color. The head was impressive when I poured it into my glass.

The smell is consistently clean with this brew. It has kind of a spicy smell.

The taste is pretty clean. It has a bit of spicy kick to it which is better than nothing. There is not much flavor but for this style the flavor is good.

The mouthfeel is pretty thin with this.

I rate the drinkability high on this because it is pretty easy to drink a lot of these which is how I rate this particular style. It is a great cheap lawnmower beer. This is one of my favorite cheap summer beers.

3.28/5  rDev +31.2%

I was a little hesitant at first to try this beer. I had a bad experience with some Milwaukee's Best before and so I am always hesitant to try economy beers since...

I poured a pint can into a pint beer glass. Light foamy, almost soapy looking white head. A tiny bit darker than other economy brand beers, but still a pale yellow color.

Smelled of sweet grains and corn adjunct. Tiny, tiny, faint smell of hops is present in the smell.

Tasted better than it smelled. The sweetness that is present in the smell is hardly there in the flavor of the beer. Still has the taste of corn adjunct and pale malts. Still, it was surprisingly good tasting for an economy beer.

It has a crisp yet watery mouthfeel....

It is extremely drinkable for an economy beer. This Schlitz economy brand is quite good and I can see myself buying this in the future.

For being an economy brand it was good, and I'm rating it accordingly... I rate it for how it tastes with regards to what it is.

2.57/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Clear yellow typical to AAL. Light corn smell. Ever so subtle creamy mouth feel, a pleasant surprise for an AAL. Sweet grainy taste with slight hops. I was pleasantly surprised by this as I always heard this was cheap nasty beer, but it is way better than Budweiser.

Old Mill was as staple of the 70s and 80s. Everyone knows it simply "dont get no better than this", and if you can appreciate the grammar, you can appreciate old swill. In my area old milwaukee is only carried in one grocery and offered in 6 pack tallboy form only. The appearance is light straw colored, paler than either schlitz or pabst (old swill owned by pabst, sub-brewed by miller) with large white head that fizzes away. Surprisingly some lacing is left in the glass. The smell is rather neutral to weak, generic grains is about it, nothing offensive but nothing of note. Taste is similar, a bit weak with slight bitter, a cardboard papery taste as well. Mouthfeel is crispy and dry, is drinkable. Overall old swill is superior to other budget brands like natty, keystone, busch, etc but schlitz gusto is way better for slightly higher price.

3.9/5  rDev +56%

Old Milwaukee. Five dollars for a twelve-pack at the drugstore down the street from my house. How cool is that?

Appearance: Normal yellow/gold macro beer color. Pouring it into a chilled mug brought forth a fairly thick one-inch head that quickly vanished. Minus one point because my girlfriend says the red-and-white pattern on the can looks "ugly".

Smell: The smell is above average. If there was an air-freshener with a "beer" fragrance, it would smell like Old Milwaukee.

Taste: Really not bad, quite a bit better than I expected. I had expected it to be a thin and watery brew, but it's actually full-bodied and a little on the rich side. There seems to be more than a hint of corn in the flavor; not as strong as Miller High Life, but the corn is definitely there.

Mouthfeel: This beer has medium carbonation, but it lacks crispness. As it warms to room temperature, the texture can become a little unpleasant, like a mouthful of soapy water.

Drinkability: Despite it's flaws, Old Milwaukee is pretty drinkable, although a little on the heavy side. If you're looking for a tasty and light session beer, I would recommend Hamm's instead.

Overall: Old Milwaukee is a decent adjunct lager at an incredible price, probably the best beer value on the market. Go for it if you want an inexpensive brew that gets the job done.

3.06/5  rDev +22.4%

Typical american adjunct lager, straw color, no lacing, tastes like every other adjunct lager. Cheap but better than a light beer. Id recommend this if your going to a party and want to bring alot of it for cheap. this is a way to go! Its crisp/carbonated/ and you can drink alot of these before you feel it!

4.35/5  rDev +74%

For the price, Old Milwaukee is a great beer.

It pours a light amber color. Smell is good. very drinkable.

mouthfeel is good, and it tastes great. On a hot day, mowing the lawn, this beer hits the spot better than the big 3 (bud, coors,miller).
Give it a try. dont let the price scare you, This cheap brew is pretty good.

3.67/5  rDev +46.8%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company